• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It was a mini misunderstanding, no one can (reasonably) come pick me up. The moral of the story? Don’t assume things! 

FFFFFFFFFF

Oh man, oh man, I finally got a chance to maybe finally get a job. The place I'm doing my Training is starting to help us get in contact with companies. As I've been pursuing CNC machining, the place would be at Naherco Aerospace. Hopefully this goes through...

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

To permanently unlock Elma, you have to do Elma: Redux and your might have to Custom cheese this part because it's genuinely brutal.

Why do that when you can use and abuse Corvin's evade art and skill to charge it ad infinitum? It makes it MUCH more manageable, at least when you let her use Ghost Factory. But... just hope it doesnt come to that and you can seal reinforcements In time.

27 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Volo is a good guy.

I cannot believe it.

Gotta admit, it's absolutely wonderful that the edgiest-looking guy in the cast is way less edgy than people like Faramir. 

Also, the more I think about it, the more I come to appreciate how well Volo's skill set and the little gameplay details about him fit his character. He has that base happiness requirement of 12 without the Leticia Event because he's sending a lot of the money he makes from mercenary work to her in Turon, and as Reese mentions, normal soldiers don't get to charge the extra mercenary fees, so they make much less. It makes sense that his happiness requirement drops so much with the event, because he's been able to make sure that the orphans he's been helping are safe, and it feels good in gameplay. Also, Despoil being there is also quite cool, because it's him scrounging about for any extra money he can get to help the orphans. He's looting, not because he's a dick or an edgelord, but because the orphans need the money, and he can make a lot of that from his strength and position as a mercenary. Although it's not as firmly justified as the rest, I'd still argue that Deathmatch also matches his character so well, because he's willing to take great risks to garner more money for the orphanage. 

Volo may not be on the same level as people like Ward, Tianna, Axel, and the like in terms of his character, but he's one of my favorites because the devs put so much thought into his design and made him really fun to use. In my opinion, he's a shining example of how well Kaga integrates story and character elements into gameplay. 

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

What game is Volo from?

Berwick Saga. The thing about Volo is that you have to do some weird stuff (killing an endgame boss in Chapter 3) to see his backstory and arc, so he'll look like your typical Navarre archetype to most players, as they won't think to do the Chapter 3 kill their first time around, especially because it requires a very particular setup to perform.  

10 minutes ago, Spara said:

Gotta admit, it's absolutely wonderful that the edgiest-looking guy in the cast is way less edgy than people like Faramir. 

I was completely off the mark about him, I'll admit. I wonder if that's what Kaga intended. Bit too much of a coincidence that he happens to be the character with the super duper secret arc.

...You must've been laughing your ass off every time I dissed him in my LP, weren't you?

Also, the more I think about it, the more I come to appreciate how well Volo's skill set and the little gameplay details about him fit his character. He has that base happiness requirement of 12 without the Leticia Event because he's sending a lot of the money he makes from mercenary work to her in Turon, and as Reese mentions, normal soldiers don't get to charge the extra mercenary fees, so they make much less. It makes sense that his happiness requirement drops so much with the event, because he's been able to make sure that the orphans he's been helping are safe, and it feels good in gameplay. Also, Despoil being there is also quite cool, because it's him scrounging about for any extra money he can get to help the orphans. He's looting, not because he's a dick or an edgelord, but because the orphans need the money, and he can make a lot of that from his strength and position as a mercenary. Although it's not as firmly justified as the rest, I'd still argue that Deathmatch also matches his character so well, because he's willing to take great risks to garner more money for the orphanage. 

Okay, now this is just amazing.

Volo may not be on the same level as people like Ward, Tianna, Axel, and the like in terms of his character, but he's one of my favorites because the devs put so much thought into his design and made him really fun to use. In my opinion, he's a shining example of how well Kaga integrates story and character elements into gameplay. 

How I look forward to seeing the rest of his arc. Just the chapter 7 events were awesome.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...You must've been laughing your ass off every time I dissed him in my LP, weren't you?

...Yeah, most of the time. Though I don't usually hate the edgelords in the series, Volo was still very much a pleasant surprise. 

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okay, now this is just amazing.

One thing that's given me some hope for seeing this kind of character design in FE is how the devs of 3H tried to give some units a very specified boon/bane based on their character, but almost all the time it either didn't matter at all or felt thrown into their character as a random detail. Berwick outdoes it by a massive margin, but that the attempt was made is at least somewhat heartening. 

1 hour ago, Spara said:

Despoil being there is also quite cool, because it's him scrounging about for any extra money he can get to help the orphans. He's looting, not because he's a dick or an edgelord, but because the orphans need the money, and he can make a lot of that from his strength and position as a mercenary.

I wanted to go back to this for a moment, because it got me thinking and I realized, it's the same principle for Axel, but Axel loots the enemy's equipment instead. Perhaps it's because that's the only way he knows how to make a quick buck, due to his past. It's implied in his arc that he and his gang grabbed whatever looked like they could sell it. Thus, to make money for Ciel's treatment, he grabs whatever valuables he can find on his enemies' corpses. However, Robbery is a lot more limited than Despoil. He probably can't bring himself to do it every time because he despises what he once was, and looting bodies like that reminds him too much of the past. Of course, that would mean he should lose Robbery after he's recruited... But then again, Volo doesn't lose Despoil either, so... meh. Blame Reese, that stingy asshole.

I don't know, just a thought, since we're in the mood for some Berwick discussion.

1 hour ago, Spara said:

...Yeah, most of the time. Though I don't usually hate the edgelords in the series, Volo was still very much a pleasant surprise.

Not gonna lie, I feel the same. If his arc continues like this, Volo might just join Haldyn in my club of Navarres Who Aren't Terrible. Which would include... Volo and Haldyn. Thanks, Kaga.

1 hour ago, Spara said:

One thing that's given me some hope for seeing this kind of character design in FE is how the devs of 3H tried to give some units a very specified boon/bane based on their character, but almost all the time it either didn't matter at all or felt thrown into their character as a random detail. Berwick outdoes it by a massive margin, but that the attempt was made is at least somewhat heartening. 

They tried. That's... really the best I can say about Three Houses, frankly. They tried and failed at almost every turn, but hey, they tried. Perhaps next time.

3 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Why do that when you can use and abuse Corvin's evade art and skill to charge it ad infinitum? It makes it MUCH more manageable, at least when you let her use Ghost Factory. But... just hope it doesnt come to that and you can seal reinforcements In time.

She uses Ghost Factory at the start of Redux.

58 minutes ago, Benice said:

I just spent two hours trying to find a vine in XB2.

What am I doing with my life...

Where you at?

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Where you at?

Gormott-Still trying to rescue...Gosh, I can't even remember her name anymore...The one with the cool cat. Not to be confused with THE Cool Cat

I'm just doing all the sidequests and stuff. I only have to give some bloke some floaty reeds, and then I can move onto the main story.

Edited by Benice

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

He probably can't bring himself to do it every time because he despises what he once was, and looting bodies like that reminds him too much of the past. Of course, that would mean he should lose Robbery after he's recruited... But then again, Volo doesn't lose Despoil either, so... meh. Blame Reese, that stingy asshole.

I mean, he does hate what he thinks he was, but he also does the whole "Cap'n Reese" thing, so I think it can be said that it makes sense character-wise for him to keep it. Plus, he's damn good at it, and hey, the army could probably use the money anyway. 

I mean, he does hate what he thinks he was,

I love the subtle distinction you made there

but he also does the whole "Cap'n Reese" thing, so I think it can be said that it makes sense character-wise for him to keep it. Plus, he's damn good at it, and hey, the army could probably use the money anyway. 

Dude's a sailor at heart, but looting corpses is probably something he'd rather never have to do again. Of course, you could chalk both him and Volo up to them being thankful to Reese and wanting to help him as much as possible. Yeah, that works.

10 minutes ago, Benice said:

How else can we get a single painting?

Or a bigger bed for Reese.

Honestly, furniture is such a dumb concept, but I love it. I think I may even be able to afford a third piece if I'm careful! I look forward to it.