Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Three siege tome users right next to each other? Why Kaga?

Hahahahahahahahahah.

You've seen nothing yet.

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Sometimes I’m just surprised by how much I’ve changed in the decade since I beat FE 4, my favorite game in the series.

Well, people change with time. It's nothing all too surprising. Maybe you should replay it one of these days, if ever you find the time. See how it holds up.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, people change with time. It's nothing all too surprising. Maybe you should replay it one of these days, if ever you find the time. See how it holds up.

I’m waiting to hear about a possible remake. If it was remade or translated and ported to the Switch I’d play it on the day it was released.

Edited by Wraith

37 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

To be honest, gameplay-speaking, the best option is to just let Sylvia suffer a terrible accident before the end of gen 1. Both her substitute children are better than her regular children. Not by that much, but they have a couple of key advantages.

I don't necessarily think so. It's difficult for a substitute dancer to get the money for the Knight Ring + Leg Ring. Needless to say a dancer with the movement of promoted cavalry is pretty amazing.

29 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Pretty sure it impacts growths or something, and if the holy blood is shining real bigly the unit can use the corresponding legendary weapon. Beyond that, I've no idea.

Minor blood also increases the corresponding weapon rank by +1. It's the only thing besides class that affects your weapon rank.
Major blood simply automatically sets the corresponding weapon rank to the star rank.

In terms of growths, what makes having holy blood different from the characters' normal growths is how it's inherited by the 2nd generation.
Normally a kid inherits 100% of the growths of the parent from the same gender + 50% of the growths of the parent from the other gender. But both kids will have the holy blood of both parents, so they will inherit those growths 100%. ...though Major holy blood is only inherited by the "main child".
Also, in the case of Ayra and Holyn, if you hook them up both kids end up with Major Odo blood rather then the minor blood their parents have.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ahh, man. Here we go. I put myself in a horrible place already. And it would've turned out okay, if Shanan hadn't decided to Astra Hannibal, because that's exactly what I wanted him to do. Bah...

Well, I'm not resetting. Took me 40 minutes to get through the arenas, I'm not doing it again. I'll just redo this turn until Hannibal survives it.

Maybe I should sacrifice Tristan.

Hannibal should eventually retreat to get reinforcements once his forces are decimated enough.
...which admittedly would probably be a lot easier if so many of those guys weren't using Sleep Swords.

Btw, the activation rate of status swords is 30% - Enemy Res.
What happens if an enemy has more then 30 res? Well, then the activation rate will wrap around to 255%. Programming logic is fun.

Right on! Hannibal's squad has been decimated so thoroughly that the man himself's running for his life. Now, I just have to stop him... Or, run ahead of him, kill Kanatz (a shame, he didn't seem like such a bad guy from his two lines of dialogue) and block Kapathogia (awesome name for a fort, I must say) so Hannibal can't get any reinforcements. With a bow-wielding unit, if at all possible. I don't want Hannibal to suffer an accident.

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I don't necessarily think so. It's difficult for a substitute dancer to get the money for the Knight Ring + Leg Ring. Needless to say a dancer with the movement of promoted cavalry is pretty amazing.

Oh right. Didn't take that into account.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Hannibal should eventually retreat to get reinforcements once his forces are decimated enough.
...which admittedly would probably be a lot easier if so many of those guys weren't using Sleep Swords.

That was what I was trying to do. I had to spend a couple of turns retreating so I'd have room to maneuver, but eventually I was able to kill all but two of his men. That was enough.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Btw, the activation rate of status swords is 30% - Enemy Res.
What happens if an enemy has more then 30 res? Well, then the activation rate will wrap around to 255%. Programming logic is fun.

Hahahahahah... Holy shit, that sounds amazing.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

No...

'Fraid so. Chapter 5 might test your patience. Believe me, wanting to get the substitute children wasn't the only reason I let everyone die in the Yied desert.

5 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Desert map being bad?

No surprise there, I guess. The only good desert maps in FE are FE8 and FE10's, IMO.

Birthright’s is the best one I’ve played, mainly because you can make it not a desert.

8 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

In terms of growths, what makes having holy blood different from the characters' normal growths is how it's inherited by the 2nd generation.
Normally a kid inherits 100% of the growths of the parent from the same gender + 50% of the growths of the parent from the other gender. But both kids will have the holy blood of both parents, so they will inherit those growths 100%. ...though Major holy blood is only inherited by the "main child".
Also, in the case of Ayra and Holyn, if you hook them up both kids end up with Major Odo blood rather then the minor blood their parents have.

Oh yeah, another exception is that Celice doesn't inherit the Loptu blood of his mother, and her Major Narga blood is reduced to minor Narga blood.
No idea if this is actually how the game logic handles these kind of situations, seeing how Deidre is the only 1st generation character who has two kinds of holy blood.

As for what normally happens if both parents have Major Holy blood, if you pair Levin and Briggid, Patty will inherit Major Sety while Faval will still have Major Ulir but only minor Sety.

Good, I was able to sneak Leif and Finn past Hannibal. The two of them can handle Kapathogia while the rest of the team confronts King Beardless.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Desert map being bad?

No surprise there, I guess. The only good desert maps in FE are FE8 and FE10's, IMO.

B E R W I C K   S A G A

Also, Radiant Dawn's desert good? Really? It was by far the worst part 4 chapter. It did nothing different from all the other bad desert maps: Slow movement for everyone, no places without sand in sight, you have to cross the entire map to get to the objective, fliers are the only viable units (except the place is littered with archers), siege tomes in the desert...

It was very much par for the course. Not the worst, but far from good, and being cheesable by the absurdly overpowered fliers of RD doesn't make the map any less bad. I think that's your RD bias speaking, to be brutally honest. FE8 is the only desert map in FE that was bearable, full stop.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Berwick Desert was cool

But then Kaga had to outKaga himself and create S N O W

The snow map was just cruel. Kaga led you on with that wonderful desert map, and then he goes and says "here, have a map that's effectively this game's desert but white. Oh, and there's a wyvern that can put your units to sleep. Have fun."

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It was by far the worst part 4 chapter.

Oliver would like to have a word.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Berwick Desert was cool

But then Kaga had to outKaga himself and create S N O W

Yeah. The worst part about the snow map was SEPERATING THE ARMOR KNIGHT FROM THE REST OF THE ARMY AND THEN SURROUNDING HIM WITH MAGIC-DAMAGING ENEMIES.

AAAAA

At least Marcel's speed is actually decent; I had him not equip a shield to deal with the Frost axe Frickers.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Also, Radiant Dawn's desert good? Really? It was by far the worst part 4 chapter. It did nothing different from all the other bad desert maps: Slow movement for everyone, no places without sand in sight, you have to cross the entire map to get to the objective, fliers are the only viable units (except the place is littered with archers), siege tomes in the desert...

It was very much par for the course. Not the worst, but far from good, and being cheesable by the absurdly overpowered fliers of RD doesn't make the map any less bad. I think that's your RD bias speaking, to be brutally honest. FE8 is the only desert map in FE that was bearable, full stop.

I mean, I'm also the one who thinks RD Part 4 is fun to play, so I'm definitely no stranger to unpopular opinions...

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Which... Honestly, is rather surprising to me. I wasn't expecting to like this game as much as I'm liking it. It's not my favorite FE by any means, but I thought it would be far, far less good.

Its detractors really like to harp on about its differences, and weaknesses, without really appreciating its many strengths...

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, time to recruit Hannibal. I've heard it can be difficult, so wish me luck. No matter what it takes, I am not leaving chapter 9 without a general.

Good luck, if you can get Hannible to go back for reinforcements that might help.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Is Alec x Sylvia good? I mean, Alec isn’t, but actually talk, so...

..ehhh nevermind, I’m fine with Claude.

The thing about Sylvia's children is that they are both in classes with primarily support roles, so its hard to mess them up...or really improve them, so its not a bad pairing per say, it just doesn't do much for the children. Claude is one of the few fathers that clearly benefits one of her children, so it tends to be one of the preferred pairing (although the unpaired versions get some great tools at the cost of stats they don't need... which puts that option in serious competition for being the best "pairing" option...)

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Johalvier and Julia promote as well. Not too bad. Johalvier was actually the first to reach level 20. Who said Johan was the better brother, again?

The one with the horse was always a little worse at combat, people just prefer him because he has a horse (and talks pretty...)

40 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Am I supposed to be able to make sense of the holy blood chart that comes up when I look at a unit?

Its not all that hard to understand. There are 12 holy bloods (one for each of the 12 crusaders) in the circle, all of which are labeled, a character can have either minor or major holy blood (or no holy blood) in those slots, it will be filled in for minor, and brightly flash for major. Holy blood gives the character extra extra growth rates (+50% distributed as you can find here: https://serenesforest.net/genealogy-of-the-holy-war/miscellaneous/holy-blood/ ) which is doubled for major holy blood, minor holy blood increases your weapon ranks in the weapon type associated with the holy blood by one level, and having strong holy blood gives you max ranks in it (assuming you class can use that weapon type...)

38 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Bwahahahahahahah... The new translation changed the second part of the translation.

Honestly, I think it was a loss.

It kinda is...although they did keep some of that part of Sylvia (like her liking it rough...)

Just kill the Wyrmspeaker, hide in the bushes and watch the carnage unfold for the next few dozen turns.

Btw, Thor and the red units are in fact hostile to each other. So in theory it would be possible to lure Thor out of the cave and have him kill all the other Wyverns for you.. along with everything else, of course.

Edited by BrightBow

Been playing CrossCode: A New Home. So far, i'm liking it. It continues the story from the main game in a (as of right now) satisfying manner. I don't know how long it'll last (I tuned in to a dev stream once and there's at least four chapters to this) but i'm all in.

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

And my PS3 controller is out of battery. Nice. Didn't bring the charger either and I hate using a keyboard to play.

Guess I'll play FE4 when I get back home then.

So normally i'd understand but like, FE4 is an old SRPG. Originally played on a controller with less buttons than a PS3 controller. Not really sure why you'd need a controller for that.

33 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Everyone’s talking about FE 4, yet I’m almost completely indifferent about it.

Me except i think FE4 is one of the worst games ever made.

But i won't rain on anyone's parade.

20210213_185024.gif

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Fraid so. Chapter 5 might test your patience. Believe me, wanting to get the substitute children wasn't the only reason I let everyone die in the Yied desert.

Kaga.jpg

11 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

What?

Nah that desert map sucked. Rout map+desert map has never been a good combination. Not to mention, it was Part 4 where the enemy reinforcements don't stop coming.

It was mitigated by Black Knight being an ally but still.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

20210213_185024.gif

I take no offense to this. Besides, I’ve gotten somewhat use to the endless heresy being churned out on this thread.

Edited by Wraith

1 minute ago, Benice said:

Oliver would like to have a word.

Oliver's map had Oliver. That's... really it, honestly. They were both horrible maps, like... all of part 4 and most of part 3, frankly. But Oliver's map had Oliver, so that puts it above the rest. Just barely.

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Its detractors really like to harp on about its differences, and weaknesses, without really appreciating its many strengths...

Hmm... Well, we'lll see. Wouldn't be the first time a FE has been ruined by its endgame in my eyes. I mean, I know I place Conquest and Thracia quite high still, but those lategames, jeez.

2 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Good luck, if you can get Hannible to go back for reinforcements that might help.

That's what I did, yeah. Then I snuck Leif and Finn past him to get the boss and block Kapathogia. Leif will sit there with his bow for a while. Thankfully player units don't do the same quick swap as the enemies. I can take advantage of that, in this case.

3 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

The one with the horse was always a little worse at combat, people just prefer him because he has a horse (and talks pretty...)

I mean, when it comes to personality, I'd take the guy who has a conscience underneath the bravado over the narcissistic stalker.

3 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

It kinda is...although they did keep some of that part of Sylvia (like her liking it rough...)

That line gave me a good chuckle, I won't lie.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

20210213_185024.gif

Hi there, did you ask for a rant about how Three Houses ruined the franchise? 'Cause I can deliver.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Rout map+desert map has never been a good combination.

Oh... Ohhh, holy shit, I'd actually forgotten that. I forgot that it was a rout map. The map was so horrible that my subconscious blocked the memories of it and made me believe that it was a kill boss map.

No, seriously. I had completely forgotten it was a desert routfest. Jesus Christ... I retract my earlier statement, then. It wasn't par for the course - it was one of the worst desert maps in the entire series. Chasing enemies around in the desert? Fuck off.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So normally i'd understand but like, FE4 is an old SRPG. Originally played on a controller with less buttons than a PS3 controller. Not really sure why you'd need a controller for that.

Personal preference. I hate playing any game apart from a few select ones without a controller.

Ohhhh, wait a minute. So Hannibal doesn't attack even if someone's blocking the gates to his reinforcements?

Why, that changes everything. I think I'll surround Travant, and then have Leif double back to have a... nice conversation, with the man. Heh heh heh...

Handing Travant his sorry behind with Finn and finishing with Leif is the most satisfying thing I've experienced in this game since Arden's promotion.

Okay, now let's go get Hannibal's boy, so he can get Hannibal for us.