• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hah! Turns out Kaga did it first. Except he did it well. That moment is, like, the best scene in the game.

That scene still makes me cringe.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Eugen: "this is my flawless strategy"

Marlon: "noooooo you fool, you've activated the enemy's trap card"

Eugen: "hahahahaha.......shit".

TRS is good guys.

No seriously, that sounds funny.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Even Fates Bugquest: Genealogy of the Holy Fanservice?

I think he’s talking about Cold Steel. Those games appear to be fan service: deluxe edition, from his accounts.

And finished the Origami King...

I don't know how to rate this lol

Alot of times it was a 10/10, but alot of time it felt like a 5 due to some questionable design decisions...

I will collect my thoughts and post thrm in full later

Olivia best Mario girl

Edited by Shrimperor

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Always interested to see a JRPG protag who isn't a teen.

If you like not-teen protagonists, allow me to recommend Like a Dragon.

Anyways. 'Morning!

>Cold Steel anime appearently will tell an original story instead of just being a retelling

Ohhhhh. Well I guess I can behind that. 

7 minutes ago, Benice said:

you like not-teen protagonists, allow me to recommend Like a Dragon.

Maybe when it stops being PS4 exclusive and it comes to Steam.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

This is just too good

I really loved the aesthetic of it.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Maybe when it stops being PS4 exclusive and it comes to Steam.

Boy do I have bad news for you. It's on steam! It was actually on about 25% sale for Lunar New years, so I was considering snagging it. (Also avalaible on Xbox series X and I assume whatever the Xbox equivalent of the PS4 is. And also PS5 soon, but nobody who didn't sell their arm has one of those.)

EDIT: Can confirm, it's for PS4/5, Xbox one/Xbox series S/X, Windows, Mac and Linux.

Edited by Benice

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Boy do I have bad news for you. It's on steam!

Oh nice.

It'll be a long while before I get to it but I'll put it on the wishlist.

Edited by Armagon

Just now, Armagon said:

Oh nice.

It'll be a long while before I get to it but I'll put it on the wishlist.

Hooray!

Yeah, it is a pretty chanky game, though.

Also, do let me know when you get to it, because there is a...Thing in the middle of the game that you may want to be warned for. (It's nothing that will softlock you or anything like that, though.)

The Heretic and Blasphemer can offer no excuse for their crimes. Those who are pardoned merely live to further shroud Humanity from the Light of the Emperor with the Darkness of their souls.

So, full thoughts...

Well, what can i say? It was much much much more fun than i expected. For a game the internet loves to hate so much, it was almost a Masterpiece...

Sadly, there are some major gripes that stop it from being a real 10/10 Masterpiece. The game had the potential since many of it's section were actually 10/10...

Well, let's go through the points.

Dungeon, Boss and Level Design - Perfection

Well, this is probably the most i ever had in a game exploring dungeons. They were done in such a masterful way, and also taking Marios origins into account. Yup, probably my fav. Dungeons ever.

Another thing the game almost did to perfection were the boss fights. Each boss fight was unique. Each of them was fun. And you had to think how to approach everyone differently. And then you got also the 'different' Boss fights, the non turn based ones i mean. Be it the Octopus or the Paper Mistake or others, they were true to their Mario origin and also super fun.

And then there are the 'side' levels/events. Like the airship battle, for example. They were all most fun in their own way.

And oh my god the final build up. I can gush about that much.

Also music is perfection. Literal perfection.

If the whole game was on the same level as mentioned above, it would've been the first game i would ever give a 10/10 to.

Sadly, some design decisions were...why..., with one being a major gripe i have with the game.

Lack of a meaningful progression system

This is a big one. Yeah the Hearts increase your attack power and all, but you really gain nothing from normal battles except coins, which the game throws at you anyway. And Mario only has 2 attacks the whole game (if we discount Olivia), Jump and Hammer. And their stronger variations. 

It doesn't have to be exp system, but you should gain something from normal battles. Just avoiding most of the battles outside dungeons shouldn't be the default/more fun option. It's what i did in Chapter 3 and 4. Just ram'd the enemies with Boot-car or ship. 

There should've also been more defensive actions instead of just block, like you see in some later boss fights when you evade and counter and stuff.

Just Mario getting a new type of attack or something would've helped quite a bit in making normal battles stay fresh without needing exp system. Although, tbf, some normal enemies had cool gimmicks.

Or even making Ai partners controllable instead of being a pain and them having different attack patterns would've helped alot already, as you get a different one each chapter. As they are now they are mostly useless, and were usually a pain in the ass (looking at you, bobby).

But yeah, a progression system would've eleminated this games' biggest fault. 

Toads and Confetti...Why?

I will just say during the game i grew to hate toads. They are fucking everwhere. Please, even Jump'n'Run Mario had more interesting NPCs. Also saving them sucked. There should have been many more species to fill the world, not toads toads and toads. It really hurts the world they build, which is quite a cool and beautiful one.

Also the whole Confetti holes thing i wasn't a fan of. Felt like useless fillers.

Olivia's Journey across the world

That's what basically the game is, and it did it right. The sheltered princess seeing the world with a hero and meeting it's inhabitants and saving it against her brother's wishes. The game follows and develops Olivia as she goes from Mushroom Kingdoom, to Mario!Japan, Mario!Egypt, Mario!Greece, Mario!Paradise and ending it with storming her brother's home base with the friends she made along the way.

The game was Olivia's story, and the game succeded in making me care about her. Olivia best girl.

The Bowser Crew late game were also done really well, and they were fun to follow and laugh at. Mario's earlier partners on the other hand... and dear god the Toads.

I agree with Olly, eleminate the toads

xD

PRijrLJ.png

@Armagon

Edited by Shrimperor

31 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I bet it does more than in every FE game outside of Archanea.

>literally sets the plot in motion in Three Houses

Minor pains in major strings.

So, I hadn't expressly said it, but I actually got SSBU and mostly been going through WoL. I'll probably go into the fights that have been too much so far later, there's still parts of the map I haven't seen.

There's plenty of characters I've gotten a good feel for, but I'm far from mastering movesets on any (See: Me barely understanding how Shulk works, or trying to get a feel for Squirtle because I wasn't doing so well with the little guy so far. Or having a bad time dealing with that punch Luigi has every single time the slenderMario shows up.)

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

>literally sets the plot in motion in Three Houses

Wait, the Fire Emblem was a thing in Three Houses?

...Honest to God, I cannot remember the FE in Three Houses. What was it?

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wait, the Fire Emblem was a thing in Three Houses?

...Honest to God, I cannot remember the FE in Three Houses. What was it?

Crest of Flames