Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

I can't decide whether to keep on the straight and narrow to the Fallen Arm now, or, to slow down and actually smell the roses. So far, I haven't talked to a single optional NPC, nor started a single optional quest, nor gone off the beaten path, I blitzed to Frontier Village on as straight a line as possible.

The reason being finding new Locations, Landmarks, and Secret Areas gives EXP, and the much more precious AP and SP. Characters who haven't joined yet don't get the discovery AP and SP retroactively, so avoiding exploration early is a good thing for the later-joining characters. AP and SP can be obtained in limitless quantities true, but still, free instant AP when you never get enough is tempting to delay. Bird Lady and Volleyball don't come so late that waiting is a problem for me, Dundun be thankful too.

Looking over Smash 4's Skill Trees, they look like the worst, second only to Riki's, and the sole good tree is the 4th, which is much cheaper than the starting three and can be gotten in like a half-hour of questing after Heir to Aerods joins. However, AP is a different story, even if there are bad Arts, the good ones can't still get enough AP.

And yet! The Fallen Arm is so far away, and it feels stifling to delay going off the beaten path for that long, it's a fundamental part of the XC experience. Does Colony 6 automatically move in by that point? Because if does, well I want to slow down and go back and do all the Refugee Camp quests at a minimum. I don't really want to delay, but the optimizing desire is pestering me.

On the positive side, if I do rush to the Fallen Arm, the new Expert Mode level-adjustability means I could still have battle fun against much, much weaker enemies that I've skipped over. Going up against that giant caterpillar in Tephra Cave with Swords Drones and not OHKOing it is something I like that they've enabled.🙂

----

On a very different note:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/03/final_fantasy_composer_nobuo_uematsu_may_have_written_his_last_full_soundtrack

Time seems to be approaching for one of gaming's masterful maestros. His discography getting closer to its end.☹️

Uematsu, thank for you Edgar's and Sabin's Theme, that is one of my favorites from your long work in the gaming industry.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Now look, I lack context for this but on it's own, this version of The True Mirror is.....kinda weak. Maybe with context, it's the hypest thing ever but The True Mirror didn't really need to be made slower.

I will say it is reserved for one battle, I won't say which. It is supposed to be special.

This said, in gaming, there is sometimes the idea that "orchestration = better". Consider Koopa's Road (the SM64 Bowser in the Dark World theme) reused in the Galaxies for the Bowser levels, orchestration did the track well, though there be a certain quality ("coldness" from the MIDI sounds?) in the original that the remixes lack. The True Mirror version of which you speak I think is evidence that orchestration isn't an unqualified good, it requires effort to make sublime.

30 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

YES! Mario and Luigi SS moves would be so awesome to see! Electric Hand, please! Using the Knockback Bros or Dunk Bros Team moves in Smash! Would be solo of course, but still pretty wicked.

I loved Thunderhand myself. Fire and Thunder! A little different and cooler than the usual pairing of Fire with Water/Ice. And let's not forget Snack Basket! I want that in there somehow.

But Samus needs her Ice Beam first.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I loved Thunderhand myself. Fire and Thunder! A little different and cooler than the usual pairing of Fire with Water/Ice. And let's not forget Snack Basket! I want that in there somehow.

But Samus needs her Ice Beam first.

You have good taste, too! 

Also... Snack Basket? Is that Bowser's Inside Story?

Samus needs alot of things from her games, haha. 

Ice Beam, Speed Booster, power bombs, morph mode, the list goes on.

So, uh, what's the requirements to have Derrick be hireable in Berwick Saga?

Most of the guides just sas he has to escape in Chapter 2-2, and he did withdraw, but I don't see him in the Mercenary Guild.

@Saint Rubenio @Benice

18 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

He shows up starting with chapter 3. Also, he can only be hired after the main mission of the chapter is completed.

Ah

Phew

You'd think guides would mention that.

Also, jesus christ Kaga

Spoiler

Haha it's funny see, everyone thought something really serious happened, but it turns out she was worried over a mirror! Lol ecks dee!!!

Edited by Robert Stewart

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Did you visit the chapter 3 village with Runan?

Yep yep. Made sure to check with the guide after I nearly missed Plum in Ch.2 (in my defense, Plum looks like a generic village girl, as in, not someone who looks playable).

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But first, please fix the damn combo.

0-to-deaths are funny tho.

And tbf, it's not like you'll pull it off in the heat of battle.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

On the positive side, if I do rush to the Fallen Arm, the new Expert Mode level-adjustability means I could still have battle fun against much, much weaker enemies that I've skipped over. Going up against that giant caterpillar in Tephra Cave with Swords Drones and not OHKOing it is something I like that they've enabled.🙂

Keep in mind you can't use Expert Mode to delevel past the starting level. So if Fiora joins at level 42, 42 is the lowest she can delevel to.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This said, in gaming, there is sometimes the idea that "orchestration = better".

They usually are imo but yeah, The True Mirror orchestrated is an example of when it isn't.

I'd also say the Fire Emblem orchestrations in those concerts are another example. They are good but I think the originals are better.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

speaking about M&L, M&L Switch when?

Is it even possible without Alphadream?

Someone else could do it I suppose.

With Paper Mario not really being an RPG anymore, Mario & Luigi has been reason to exist.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Made sure to check with the guide after I nearly missed Plum in Ch.2 (in my defense, Plum looks like a generic village girl, as in, not someone who looks playable).

What guide is that, if I may ask? Spoilerless or what?

40 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

But it's an inescapable grab conversion...

In all my time playing Ultimate, both online and in local tournaments, I've never gotten hit by the Luigi 0-to-death. 

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

In all my time playing Ultimate, both online and in local tournaments, I've never gotten hit by the Luigi 0-to-death. 

Well yeah, there’s too much lag to do anything other than start the match. 

Just now, Sooks said:

Well yeah, there’s too much lag to do anything other than start the match. 

Real talk tho, I feel like Ultimate online is overblown. It's not amazing but it's also not the lagfest people make it out to be......most of the time.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Time seems to be approaching for one of gaming's masterful maestros. His discography getting closer to its end.☹️

Uematsu, thank for you Edgar's and Sabin's Theme, that is one of my favorites from your long work in the gaming industry.

It's really amazing the sheer amount of work he has over the years that's still remembered fondly all these years later.

At least he can say that legacy exists for him. Can't say it's too saddening someone as long in the game as him's retiring. Though at least the talk there was more of a phasing out.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

My Elite Smash in a nutshell. Well, not all me, but still.

b546f391582abae32bc2acbed666363f.png

Roy/Fox/Falco weren't me, they are my brother. The others are me, haha. 

The duality of man I suppose.