Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

4 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

More to the point then any customization is how everyone always suck up to them for no reason whatsoever.

This is not exclusive to self-inserts.

4 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

If people didn't see Robin as a stand-in for themselves,

But they don't? Most people these days agree that Robin is their own character. Same with Kris, same with Corrin.

5 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Also, cutscenes are often shot in 1st person of Robin.

Only two of these actually do that.

6 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

The game establishes early on that they even have the same map overview that the player has.

This was clearly a fourth-wall thing.

6 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

. And characters are always talking towards the screen as if they were talking to Robin.

No? What are you talking about?

I feel like you're making up shit here.

8 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

And there is all that 1st person art when they marry someone.

I'll give you that at least but eh. This is somewhat common in games with romance mechanics. I know Rune Factory does it.

10 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I just don't remember if the game itself talks about Robin and the player as if they were the same person, like FE7 did.

The only time this ever really happens is with the Outrealm shit, particularly with Lyn. Which doesn't count because it's literally just bonus content.

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

But I can still feel that I am meant to feel like I was Robin, and I find that to be insulting because of what this says about how the developers view me.

I mean, if that's what you think then.......sorry? Idk, I feel like there are bigger things to feel insulted about, and this is certainly not one of them. Just don't play the game bro.

• Replies 177.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Wait, what? How do you think the developers view you?

*Looks at Nowi* *Looks at Tharja* *Looks at Henry* *Looks at Chrom* *Looks at the game's entire god damn ending*

Well, for starters:

A child fucker 
A needy narcissist requiring constant worship
A guy who doesn't mind if their pals are murderers or other kinds of scum as long as they are nice to them personally
A guy who doesn't care if people they don't personally know die

Edited by BrightBow

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

No? What are you talking about?

The game has random characters comment on everything you do. Things like shopping or forging and whatnot.

I feel like you're making up shit here.

Man, I wish.

*Looks at Nowi* *Looks at Tharja* *Looks at Henry* *Looks at Chrom* *Looks at the game's entire god damn ending*

Well, for starters:

A child fucker 
A guy who doesn't mind if their pals are murderers
A guy who doesn't care if people they don't personally know die

I feel like you're definitely projecting here. Because I can't think of anyone else who has thought "this is what the devs think of me".

The game has random characters comment on everything you do. Things like shopping or forging and whatnot.

This doesn't prove your point.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

This doesn't prove your point.

The fact that the characters address the 4th wall as if it were Robin doesn't prove my point that the player is meant to see Robin as a self-insert?

8 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Well, for starters:

A child fucker 
A needy narcissist
A guy who doesn't mind if their pals are murderers
A guy who doesn't care if people they don't personally know die

?????????

I am confused. The game has its own plot and characters. That has nothing to do with you. Just because there is an avatar doesn’t immediately mean every single decision was geared for every single player. I’ll give you Tharja or Nowi, but the protagonist of the game??

You can leave any of those characters for dead or not use them and definitely not marry them.

Edited by Sooks

9 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Well, for starters:

A child fucker 
A guy who doesn't mind if their pals are murderers or other kinds of scum as long as they are nice to them personally
A guy who doesn't care if people they don't personally know die

You know, just because I played part of Thracia without killing Lifis doesn't mean that I'm a kidnapper.

Just now, Sooks said:

?????????

I am confused. The game has its own plot and characters. That has nothing to do with you. Just because there is an avatar doesn’t immediately mean every single decision was geared for every single player. I’ll give you Tharja or Nowi, but the protagonist of the game??

The entire ending is the whole cast happily sacrificing the world and the future of their own children just so that Robin can stay around.

This wouldn't be any less infuriating if Robin wasn't meant to be a self-insert. God knows I complained a lot about Richard from Tear Ring Saga not getting his just deserts.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

The entire ending is the whole cast happily sacrificing the world and the future of their own children just so that Robin can stay around.

This wouldn't be any less infuriating if Robin wasn't meant to be a self-insert. God knows I complained a lot about Richard from Tear Ring Saga not getting his just deserts.

I mean, if it bothers you that much, there's the other ending where Robin does.

Though I'll give you that it would've been neat if Robin actually coming back in that ending required to unlock enough A supports (and maybe even have an S one), to give weight to the whole bonds thing.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Just now, BrightBow said:

That's a player choice-And it isn't the "good" ending.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

You know, just because I played part of Thracia without killing Lifis doesn't mean that I'm a kidnapper.

Lifis isn't personally besties with the player self-insert.

In fact, he is besties with nobody. He is just lucky that Safy vouched for him, which she only did because he agreed to her earlier to help liberate Tahra, a promise he had no intention of keeping.

He is kept around because he is useful. That's it.

The fact that the characters address the 4th wall as if it were Robin doesn't prove my point that the player is meant to see Robin as a self-insert?

Because I've played other games that do this sort of thing and they don't have avatars, self-inserts, etc.

Did you forget the other ending (that most consider to be the true end) in which Robin sacrifices himself to kill Grima for good? Sure, Robin comes back later but Grima stays permanently dead, in what world is this "the whole cast sacrificing everything so that Robin can stick around"?

1 minute ago, Benice said:

That's a player choice-And it isn't the "good" ending.

That literally makes it worse because it shows those characters have no... well, character. You might notice they act the exact same way, regardless of the players choice. They will do whatever is currently needed to suck up to the player.

You made that decision.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

You made that decision.

Yes. Yes, I did.

And they made the decision that they are not only fine with me dooming their kids, but that doing so also deserves a big round of asskissing from them and literally every character in the cast.

Like, if I make a shitty decision in other games there is usual some consequence. Like getting jailed or fined in Morrowind or whatever. Sure, it's not very effective, but at least if I murder someone, the guards don't pat me on the shoulder to tell me I did such a good job. There is some kind of acknowledgment that I did a bad.

Edited by BrightBow

That literally makes it worse because it shows those characters have no... well, character. You might notice they act the exact same way, regardless of the players choice. They will do whatever is currently needed to suck up to the player.

Yeah, you are definitely making shit up at this point.

Even I'm not this petty when it comes to my dislike for Kaga games.

Lifis isn't personally besties with the player self-insert.

In fact, he is besties with nobody. He is just lucky that Safy vouched for him, which she only did because he agreed to her earlier to help liberate Tahra, a promise he had no intention of keeping.

He is kept around because he is useful. That's it.

If you, as the player, think that it is morally objectionable to marry/befriend any character, there isn't anyone forcing you.

Very few first-party games aimed at young teenagers actually have the guts to say "You did the wrong thing and were stupid". This ain't an Awakening-exclusive problem, and one of the major themes of the games' plot is the bonds that unite people-It does make sense for the characters to choose their friends if the player makes the choice to do that as well. Plus, you have saved the world, if only temporarily, so it is still worth celebrating.

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Whoa, what did I miss? Seems like i should be glad i did. 

I hit Zeke very hard then gave him Corvin!

...Or was that yesterday?

Just now, Armagon said:

Yeah, you are definitely making shit up at this point.

Even I'm not this petty when it comes to my dislike for Kaga games.

I am making up that the characters are fine with your decision at the end? Really? Did you not finish the game?