• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I did it! -1 completed with every character I have! I will achieve 100% completion, and the game can’t stop me!

Edited by Sooks

SECRET CHARACTER IS HERE, that was kind of a random level to be the requirement to get them though.

Why have I even been talking like the secret character is a big secret to be kept?

Just now, Sooks said:

Why have I even been talking like the secret character is a big secret to be kept?

Just in case I see the light and get into Mario?

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

SECRET CHARACTER IS HERE, that was kind of a random level to be the requirement to get them though.

Because you're a decent person who would never spoil such a riveting plot as Mario's.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

Dew it.

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

You... don’t like Mario? Huh. I’ve never seen that before.

I’d recommend Odyssey if you want to.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Because you're a decent person who would never spoil such a riveting plot as Mario's.

BOWSER KIDNAPS THE FAIRIES—

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Honestly, he doesn't do anything different compared to what Link does on the regular. And that guy is supposed to be a hero.

I mean, you could just not.

Sony and Sega are playing into an old meme. That you can use as a .png, or a physical sticker if you have the printing tech for that. I like it.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Baby tears being the secret cure for alien... alienification was a novel idea. 

13 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I mean, you could just not.

I could. But clearly Link is inclined to do so anyway, if his wide smile whenever he imprisons a fairly in Wind Waker is any indication.
The poor things look so sad and frightened too.
The_Wind_Waker_-_Bottled_Fairy.png

I mean, it's not like Link is just some player Avatar. For example he clearly doesn't enjoy it when you make him drink a potion and is visible struggling to swallow it. So the fact that by contrast he visibly shows enjoyment in putting fairies into bottles is still very much indicative of him as a character.

Edited by BrightBow

Okay, real talk though, the stories of Super Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time are far more serious and take far darker turns than they should when they're games with the fat middle-aged plumber who bounces around yelling WAHOOOOO. It's kinda funny how every Mario game's super lighthearted, and then there's those two that just... randomly go in a different direction for no reason. Not that I'm complaining about it, mind.

15 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I’d recommend Odyssey if you want to.

For someone who isn't really into Mario, I'd first recommend one of the classics, to be honest. They're a lot simpler to get into, they don't require as much of an investment and they've stood the test of time marvelously.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Dew it.

I don't think I've been remotely interesting in a Mario game before that direct showed up the most interesting idea for golf I've ever seen. I legit want to know if it works on local multiplayer, that would be my attention grabbed.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

As a child I didn't have the ol' N64, but a PS1, so that was kind of the first nail (The first real platformer series for me was Spyro, is this a flag?). Sure, you might ask but what about the Game Boy? And yes, that was a thing. Essentially for Pokemon because the other games we have are not exactly classics (licensed games).

This would stay true until the Wii, which I actually sold after completing Twilight Princess within the year of getting both (And also has Guitar Hero and a brain game, really diverse library there). And once again, you ask "Hold on, I know you have a DS! And a 3DS!" And once again, my DS library isn't the most diverse due to all the JRPGs. And LoZ. Platformers weren't on my mind. Hell, I tried NSMB and wasn't a fan and the SM64DS copy I ended up with's broken.

3DS? Bit more diverse with the online options, but never was all that keen to play the 3DS Mario titles and the kinds of titles I got on DS definitely continued for me. But despite this, I have SM Deluxe (Aka if it wasn't for the small resolution it'd be perfect Mario 1 from what I've heard and seen) and MK7 entirely because it's on the console I'm looking at and I think my niece has played more of it than me.

I've just never gotten into the series is the truth of it.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sony and Sega are playing into an old meme. That you can use as a .png, or a physical sticker if you have the printing tech for that. I like it.

So he's in this version.

As DLC sadly.

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

As a child I didn't have the ol' N64, but a PS1, so that was kind of the first nail (The first real platformer series for me was Spyro, is this a flag?). Sure, you might ask but what about the Game Boy? And yes, that was a thing. Essentially for Pokemon because the other games we have are not exactly classics (licensed games).

And 6 Golden Coins is such a wonderful game too. I mean, that game has Goombas with knifes stuck in their heads? How can you not love that?

Of course at the end you reach Mario's Castle, at which point it becomes hell.

Edited by BrightBow

For someone who isn't really into Mario, I'd first recommend one of the classics, to be honest. They're a lot simpler to get into, they don't require as much of an investment and they've stood the test of time marvelously.

Meh, I don’t think there’s really a mainline Mario game that requires any investment. I think Odyssey picks up immediately.

What would you define as the classics?

8 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I don't think I've been remotely interesting in a Mario game before that direct showed up the most interesting idea for golf I've ever seen. I legit want to know if it works on local multiplayer, that would be my attention grabbed.

"So, what was your first Mario? I started way back with Super Mario Bros 3! Still the ideal 2D platformer, in my opinion."

"My first was 64, really big deal how it revolutionized the 3D platformer genre. You?"

"Ah, I started with Galaxy, awesome platformer, one of the best ever, it really fixed everything the previous games did wrong and improved the good parts further."

"mAriO GolF"

Just kidding, honestly I was interested too. Heck, it was the best damn thing about that stupid direct! If only it wasn't shackled by Nintendo Online, though... As it is, I don't think there's much chance that I'll get it, unless the SP stuff is super amazing.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Meh, I don’t think there’s really a mainline Mario game that requires any investment. I think Odyssey picks up immediately.

It's really long though, and when you start running out of the more interesting moons the game devolves into a bland collectible hunt that has you running all over the place pulling moons out of every nook and crany.

If I had to recommend a 3D Mario to a newcomer, I think I'd go for Galaxy or 3D World before Odyssey.

What would you define as the classics?

1, 2, 3 and World. Those are what I'd call "the classics." Mind, I'm not about to go on a "games these days" rant or anything. I just thing those four games are really, really good, and if you're not someone who's into Mario, it's a much safer bet to just get one of those, play a few worlds in an hour and see how you like it than risk investing tens of hours into Odyssey just to find that you're not a fan.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

It's really long though, and when you start running out of the more interesting moons the game devolves into a bland collectible hunt that has you running all over the place pulling moons out of every nook and crany.

But you can just stop if you don’t like it. You don’t have to finish it.

If I had to recommend a 3D Mario, I think I'd go for Galaxy or 3D World before Odyssey.

Yeah I could recommend 3D World as well.

Haven’t really played Galaxy though, I think I might have played a bit of it though.

I just thing those four games are really, really good, and if you're not someone who's into Mario, it's a much safer bet to just get one of those, play a few worlds in an hour and see how you like it

Until you run out of lives and restart.

Just now, Sooks said:

But you can just stop if you don’t like it. You don’t have to finish it.

Yeah, that's a fair point.

Just now, Sooks said:

Haven’t really played Galaxy though, I think I might have played a bit of it though.

Please do, it's really good.

Just now, Sooks said:

Until you run out of lives and restart.

That's why you get All Stars. Not the scam on Switch, the awesome remake pack on SNES, with those sweet, sweet improved graphics and saves.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Please do, it's really good.

I’d pick Mario over Luigi.

I’m assuming you can play as Luigi if it’s really good in your mind. 😛

That's why you get All Stars. Not the scam on Switch, the awesome remake pack on SNES, with those sweet, sweet improved graphics and saves.

Never heard of it. Huh.

Isn't it a bit confusing to play 4 different Mario games that all have different physics and mechanics but use the same set of sprites.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Isn't it a bit confusing to play 4 different Mario games that all have different physics and mechanics but use the same set of sprites.

What...? What do you mean? As in, same set of sprites are the originals, or same set of sprites between the remakes? Because neither is true. They don't use the same set of sprites. In fact, they all look quite distinct.

I’d pick Mario over Luigi.

Son of a--

I’m assuming you can play as Luigi if it’s really good in your mind. 😛

Well, in Galaxy you unlock Luigi after you beat the game as Mario.

...Unless you download a save on the internet because you're stubborn like that.

Never heard of it. Huh.

It's a great pack. The original version had the first three games, as well as the Japanese Mario Bros 2, which until then was unreleased in the west. They played a bit differently, but overall, they were the same games, just with better graphics, some fixes and the ability to save.

Then another version was released that included World as well, though in this case the only major change was that Luigi got his own sprites. You know that one Luigi sprite that Newgrounds flash animations from the 2000's loved to use? That one came from the All Stars version of World.

In any case, those five games are best enjoyed in the form of that pack, in my humble opinion.