• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What...? What do you mean? As in, same set of sprites are the originals, or same set of sprites between the remakes? Because neither is true. They don't use the same set of sprites. In fact, they all look quite distinct.

Really? I thought they used the same sprites for Mario at least. Sorry.

In my defense, there have been preciously few opportunities to actually get that collection.

Edited by BrightBow

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Really? I thought they used the same sprites for Mario at least. Sorry.

It's all right. Here, these are four screenshots of each game's first level.

Ashtar7u oT3cjzkdw oLcjxycfn oFnkcb1ab o

As you can see, the differences are noticeable. The only two remakes that share the same sets of sprites are Mario 1 and Lost Levels, and well, those do play identically.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

In my defense, there have been preciously few opportunities to actually get that collection.

Quite... If I'm not mistaken, since the SNES days, the only time it has ever been made available was on the Wii, and that wasn't even the version that included World.

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I like Luigi, but yeah. Mario just plays better. Precision over jump height and all that jazz.

Luigi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> reliable controls in my book.

In World at least, I think Luigi is better than Mario. I didn’t even know he was harder to control until I was told, and I think that’s only gotten in my way like twice?

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

In World at least, I think Luigi is better than Mario. I didn’t even know he was harder to control until I was told, and I think that’s only gotten in my way like twice?

You're talking about 3D World? Yeah, in 3D World Luigi isn't that much harder to control, and his jump height is vastly superior. It's in games like Lost Levels, where the guy feels like his shoes are made of ice covered in butter.

The real Luigi insanity was Super Mario 64 DS, though. The bastard broke that game in half like Seth does Sacred Stones. I'm not kidding!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

28 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

And 6 Golden Coins is such a wonderful game too. I mean, that game has Goombas with knifes stuck in their heads? How can you not love that?

Of course at the end you reach Mario's Castle, at which point it becomes hell.

Oh no, they finally got armed for war. Would it hurt Bowser if he jumped on one?

Again, I didn't really get much of an understanding of the GB(C) at the time, so these things would have been over my head. Then I just didn't realise the GBA existed until around the time I got a DS, at which point the road would be set down a platformless road.

23 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

"So, what was your first Mario? I started way back with Super Mario Bros 3! Still the ideal 2D platformer, in my opinion."

"My first was 64, really big deal how it revolutionized the 3D platformer genre. You?"

"Ah, I started with Galaxy, awesome platformer, one of the best ever, it really fixed everything the previous games did wrong and improved the good parts further."

"mAriO GolF"

Damm now I wish I hadn't touched a Mario game before so I could legit say this.

The real master would then respond "Mario Teaches Typing" of course and blows me out the window.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The real Luigi insanity was Super Mario 64 DS, though. The bastard broke that game in half like Seth does Sacred Stones. I'm not kidding!

If only the game didn't crash when I got a 1-up!

So, funny thing.

yYKt9xs.png

This makes it so all three of Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Russia become allies with each other. Thing is, all three are Great Powers, and no Great Power can be allied to more than one. So, a decision making a three-way alliance... ends with the alliances being broken automatically because they go over the limit. Woops.

Since this disrupted the alliance I had with Austria-Hungary... well, I just allied with them again.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You're talking about 3D World?

Yeah. I think Peach is better though.

Edited by Sooks

Reached 1880 now, the next colonial threshold...

A1bH9lq.png

Yep.

That said, it doesn't let me do much, haha. Just colonize the interior of Alaska. Other stuff either I don't have land access to... or the naval reach. Ah well.

5 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Damm now I wish I hadn't touched a Mario game before so I could legit say this.

Not gonna lie, I kinda do too.

5 minutes ago, Dayni said:

The real master would then respond "Mario Teaches Typing" of course and blows me out the window.

You laugh, but I recall unironically playing Mario is Missing for a bit because it had Luigi in it.

Eventually I got bored out of the whole prospect, but I did try. That's how dedicated I was.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

I mean, it doesn'T have to be Last levels, but something like Perfect Run with Luigi mechanics is...

not something i want to do, honestly XD

I did it when I was a kid. I will do it again when I finally get around to playing Galaxy 2. Do not underestimate the determination of a Luigi fanboy.

5 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Bowser hears an earrape version of this during Super Mario 64 DS as he watched him flutter jump to all the stars with ease

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Yeah. I think Peach is better though.

Peach floats, it's kinda difficult to argue with that. But real men use Luigi.

...Okay, no, the hardest character is probably Toad - but Luigi is cooler.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I like how the name is "Colonial Negotiations", but the text talks about using machine guns.

I mean, isn't that how those things always took place historically?

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, isn't that how those things always took place historically?

Pretty much. Still gets me a laugh seeing how the modders write the flavor text.

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

This makes it so all three of Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Russia become allies with each other. Thing is, all three are Great Powers, and no Great Power can be allied to more than one. So, a decision making a three-way alliance... ends with the alliances being broken automatically because they go over the limit. Woops.

So does this happen by default?

The event just never lands?

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I like how the name is "Colonial Negotiations", but the text talks about using machine guns.

Gif Set: Attack of the Clones Aggressive Negotiations – Mos Eisley  Chronicles

How it tended to be with small groups and big guns:

https://i.redd.it/950aa5eyz3701.jpg

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You laugh, but I recall unironically playing Mario is Missing for a bit because it had Luigi in it.

What would be even more obscure and out there from platforming than either of those?

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

So does this happen by default?

The event just never lands?

The AI is set to make the decision, so they always take it. The alliance being broken by the game rules is what happens afterwards. Though, I forgot if this restriction is in vanilla, or something the mod added. But yeah, they... didn't checked this thoroughly.

The mod itself is still WIP. But it hasn't been updated for quite a while, I thought to make a playthrough with what's there already, since it's just about playable even in its current state.

57 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okay, real talk though, the stories of Super Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time are far more serious and take far darker turns than they should when they're games with the fat middle-aged plumber who bounces around yelling WAHOOOOO. It's kinda funny how every Mario game's super lighthearted, and then there's those two that just... randomly go in a different direction for no reason. Not that I'm complaining about it, mind.

SPM handled it much better than PiT I'd say. The World of Nothing and Mimi were out there, but the rest balanced it quite well, with the Underwhere being dark-ish, but not actually dark (other than the Styx river being filled with skeletal hands and creepy music).

The Shroob invasion could've been lighter in tone, but it would've required them be talking villains. Their lack of charisma, voice, and focus purely on use of force all make them too serious. And yet, their forms are not menacing, the Shroobs are not hideous or scary, they fail to be great serious evil aliens too.

57 minutes ago, Dayni said:

So he's in this version.

As DLC sadly.

Well, he is property of Capcom, not Sega/Atlus, presumably that $10 is to cover the licensing fee. Raidou, his replacement without the DLC, is in-house.

Doesn't explain the Atlus tax though.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

SPM handled it much better than PiT I'd say. The World of Nothing and Mimi were out there, but the rest balanced it quite well, with the Underwhere being dark-ish, but not actually dark (other than the Styx river being filled with skeletal hands and creepy music).

Yeah, SPM's darkness was more about the undertones. Certainly a better way to go about it with a franchise like Mario.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And yet, their forms are not menacing, the Shroobs are not hideous or scary, they fail to be great serious evil aliens too.

I mean, you say that, but the forest section is fucking horrifying lol

What even makes the title screen change? Half the time since I cleared the game, booting it up would result in a backward view of the same title screen but now it’s nighttime in that same view and there’s a new enemy there. What’s the point?

18 minutes ago, Sooks said:

What even makes the title screen change? Half the time since I cleared the game, booting it up would result in a backward view of the same title screen but now it’s nighttime in that same view and there’s a new enemy there. What’s the point?

It's Nintendo's idea of what a completion reward should be.

Meaningless, just like the reward for getting all the moons, shine sprites, stars, korok seeds, etc.