• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

39 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I find myself counting the days until Mario Golf comes out. I must say, when I made that throwaway joke during my Berwick LP, I really wouldn't have expected it to backfire so spectacularly. The game has no business looking so good... Though, let's be wary. There's still a chance they'll muck it up. Best wait for more gameplays.

Neither did I expect I'd be actually interested. The specifics on local multiplayer are still a little mixed and they're my big concerns for it. but hell, the fact I'd consider getting it speaks volumes.

Stop it Golf, you come out before NTWEWY, I shouldn't have hype for something else!

17 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

it isn't Smash! XD

I mean, I actually like Smash, so two multiplayer options I suppose!

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I mean, I actually like Smash, so two multiplayer options I suppose!

I was referring to the wasting of potential, and that would put Smash around the top. The game is fine, but they missed alot of opportunitys for adding things like alts/music.

Not to mention making characters more accurate to source material as well. That would have been nice.

Edited by lightcosmo

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Fuck this weather just sayin

Ain't that a mood?

Weather has been horrible lately. It's thankfully not too hot, yes, but I could do without the greenhouse impression it seems to be trying to perfect.

---

On the topic of Smash, that series has always been the equivalent of playing with action figures to me.
The characters may look like themselves from the source material, but to me, they lack the actual character. Not to mention, Smash doesn't do anything with the characters. It just references them, nothing more. Both of these combined make me not really care about the game(s) as a whole, and even less about who gets in and who doesn't, because even if, for example, Neptune gets in, it'll just be an action figure of her, without anything that makes her so great to me. This is something Warriors All-Stars did a lot better in my eyes, when it comes to franchise crossovers, because that game at least did more with the characters except go "hey, remember this person?".
These are just my own feelings, though.

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

On the topic of Smash, that series has always been the equivalent of playing with action figures to me.

The characters may look like themselves from the source material, but to me, they lack the actual character. Not to mention, Smash doesn't do anything with the characters. It just references them, nothing more. Both of these combined make me not really care about the game(s) as a whole, and even less about who gets in and who doesn't, because even if, for example, Neptune gets in, it'll just be an action figure of her, without anything that makes her so great to me. This is something Warriors All-Stars did a lot better in my eyes, when it comes to franchise crossovers, because that game at least did more with the characters except go "hey, remember this person?".

Well, DLC characters are almost spot on. Other than that... not really. They lack heart I agree 100%. Not that it's a huge issue, but its dissapointing, is what I meant. 

*Draggy* *Neps internally* xd

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Well, DLC characters are almost spot on. Other than that... not really. They lack heart I agree 100%. Not that it's a huge issue, but its dissapointing, is what I meant.

Smash is in desperate need of an actual story mode.
Brawl's Subspace Emmissary came close, but then in the games after that, they decided to prioritize multiplayer, which is also why I dropped out of it after Smash 4 disappointed me in this regard.

9 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

*Draggy* *Neps internally* xd

EoBa7ba.jpg
xD

18 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Weather has been horrible lately. It's thankfully not too hot, yes, but I could do without the greenhouse impression it seems to be trying to perfect.

weather be like: sleep is for the weak

28 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Neither did I expect I'd be actually interested. The specifics on local multiplayer are still a little mixed and they're my big concerns for it. but hell, the fact I'd consider getting it speaks volumes.

It looks super fun. Way more than it needs to be. I mean, of course, as a kid I enjoyed the other Mario Golfs, but... sheesh.

28 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Stop it Golf, you come out before NTWEWY, I shouldn't have hype for something else!

Come now, it's possible to have hype for two things. And if Golf comes before, it's not like they're competing for your time.

10 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

To an extent, I do agree. While I don't think all the characters suffer from this, some of them are pretty damn far from the source material.

Take Lucas, for instance. The kid's a clone of Ness, and this makes his moveset absolutely hilarious, because he can't use a single one of his Smash abilities in his original game. In fact, Ness's neutral B, PK Flash, is something Lucas could use in Mother 3... But for some undiscernible reason, it was replaced with PK Freeze, which he cannot use. It's like they went out of their way to make him have nothing to do with his original self.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Luigi has been in enough adventures of his own that his moveset can and should be completely overhauled. The Poltergust alone would be enough for a full moveset. Instead, he's still stuck with that extremely wonky moveset that feels like it was made at a time when Luigi didn't have a proper character of his own... probably because, well, it was.

There's also Sonic, who has the most uninspired moveset ever. He just... turns into a ball. Full stop. That's all he ever does. Nice.

Just a few examples. I could probably find more if I took the time for it.

Just now, DragonFlames said:

Brawl's Subspace Emmissary came close, but then in the games after that, they decided to prioritize multiplayer, which is also why I dropped out of it after Smash 4 disappointed me in this regard.

100% agreed. While I enjoyed 4 and Ultimate, I ended up dropping both because... well, all I could ever do was play matches against the AI. That just gets old eventually.

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

EoBa7ba.jpg
xD

Oh I agree. 

Subspace was decently fun, honestly. 

All Is well again! 

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

There's also Sonic, who has the most uninspired moveset ever. He just... turns into a ball. Full stop. That's all he ever does. Nice

PM Sonic is the only Sonic.

Oh I agree. 

Subspace was decently fun, honestly. 

Indeed!
I don't care about the roster, gimme another mode on part with this one, and I'll consider playing Smash again. xD

All Is well again! 

Nep can make anyone happy! ^^

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Summer be like

Truth. XD
Also, this song is pretty great!

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

To an extent, I do agree. While I don't think all the characters suffer from this, some of them are pretty damn far from the source material.

Even the ones that are close to the source material suffer in my eyes, since I never really feel like I am playing as the character, and more as a cardboard cutout of the character. And that became no more apparent after I finally started playing Fire Emblem. Smash has Marth in it, but it spectacularly fails to capture/show me who Marth IS as a character, if that makes sense.
In this regard, like I said, it just feels like I'm playing with action figures of the characters, not the characters themselves, no matter their moveset accuracy or uniqueness. Except for the Pokémon, because those never had any personality to begin with.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

100% agreed. While I enjoyed 4 and Ultimate, I ended up dropping both because... well, all I could ever do was play matches against the AI. That just gets old eventually.

Yeah, exactly. Smash is decently fun when you can beat up your friends (or get beaten up by them, depending on skill level), but I am mainly a singleplayer guy, and I'm sure as hell not paying 20 bucks a year for a subpar at best online service just to play a multiplayer game I already need to shell out full-price for. I'm already paying my internet provider enough, thank you very much.

Just now, DragonFlames said:

Indeed!
I don't care about the roster, gimme another mode on part with this one, and I'll consider playing Smash again. xD

Nep can make anyone happy! ^^

Even the ones that are close to the source material suffer in my eyes, since I never really feel like I am playing as the character, and more as a cardboard cutout of the character. And that became no more apparent after I finally started playing Fire Emblem. Smash has Marth in it, but it spectacularly fails to capture/show me who Marth IS as a character, if that makes sense.
In this regard, like I said, it just feels like I'm playing with action figures of the characters, not the characters themselves, no matter their moveset accuracy or uniqueness. Except for the Pokémon, because those never had any personality to begin with.

Yeah, exactly. Smash is decently fun when you can beat up your friends (or get beaten up by them, depending on skill level), but I am mainly a singleplayer guy, and I'm sure as hell not paying 20 bucks a year for a subpar at best online service just to play a multiplayer game I already need to shell out full-price for. I'm already paying my internet provider enough, thank you very much.

Haha, I can understand that! 

You make a very compelling argument, y'know. Making more personal movesets would go a long way in defining them.

Nintendo internet moment. Xd although, offline tournaments are coming back soon, if that's your kinda thing!

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

So he's kinda like Fei in that regard? Like yeah, Fei does have the whole mystery thing going on for much of Xenogears but aside from that, he's just along for the ride up until Solaris.

Fei can't be important early on, because the stuff around him is too complicated and too fundamental to the hidden truths of the world itself you could say. You couldn't have the heroes learn and understand the terms Contact, Antitype, WE, Zohar, Eldridge etc. early on without radically altering the trajectory of the plot (our awesome Guardian Angel aside). They could've made a bigger point out of the heroes reacting to Id sometime earlier, but what else could they've done? Bart takes the center stage for much of the game, with a simple political clash over Aveh and Nisan, where Miang and Grahf can introduce themselves but not show their hands. And Rico, Billy, and Maria get their turns at the wheel, and Elly gets a moment with her Solaris betrayal and the later repercussions of that in Solaris itself.

Zidane says he can't remember his past nor his home. And none of this is really explained, just teased here and there, until the last two areas of Disc 3, which is actually more than 3/4ths of the way into the story because Disc 4 is solely the final dungeon. And the reason for this, is that Zidane's past is connected to who the main villain Kuja really is and why he has been doing evil, and that requires one long explanation about stuff that has been quietly happening in the world for about the past 5000 years. Not exactly common knowledge nor intended to be.

Fei I think you could say has more direct relevance once you reach Solaris's end. But that is the end of Disc 1 and Disc 2 is a mess, so it wouldn't be that much longer compared to Zidane actually.

5 hours ago, Dayni said:

I'm curious about what level you had gotten to by the end, see if I did overgrind.

Zidane was 54? Amarant was 52 I think,  maybe 49 for Eiko, and Vivi was 44.

5 hours ago, Dayni said:

So for you it is merely solid? Merely solid?

On my scoring system, an 8 is not to be ignored. To go over it.:

• 10/10 Perfection. Play it! -Unless the genre or franchise of the game doesn't suit you no matter what. Genre/franchise issues are always understandable.
  • 9/10 If you're into the genre, then you practically have to give the game the light of day. -Unless for the above reason again.
  • 8/10 If you're into the genre, definitely consider it.
  • 7/10 If you're into the genre, consider it.
  • 6/10 If you're into the genre, maybe consider it.
  • 5/10 or less, don't bother at all.

8/10, with a stated 9/10 had I played it years prior, is by no means a bad score. A serious 9 I would not give lightly, and a 10 I'm probably not likely to ever give. An 8 is great.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Anyway, in the meantime, I know what I will play now: One of Wario's greatest achievements, Wario Land 4 on the Game Boy Advance, hahaha. I loved this game a ton as a kid, but for one reason or another I'd completely forgotten about it until very recently. I'd say it's about time I went back to it.

Enjoy your little acid trip! It's a good game, albeit one I've never finished above Normal difficulty, do a Super Hard run if you want something that'll take a while.

28 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

The characters may look like themselves from the source material, but to me, they lack the actual character. Not to mention, Smash doesn't do anything with the characters. It just references them, nothing more.

I'd blame this somewhat on first-party Nintendo characters being intentionally left undeveloped. Relying entirely on charm, not depth. Mario is forbidden from speaking directly such that the player understands it, so does Link, Kirby, the 'mons, Samus for many but not all of her games. Leaving them free of development makes them more understandable to people of all ages and capable of being interpreted however one wishes. But how could one make an actual "story mode" out of basically anyone first-party but like the Star Fox trio, Olimar, and the Fire Emblem characters? Chatter is essential for story, and in the absence of it, Subspace as you alluded to is as close as they could get.

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Yeah, exactly. Smash is decently fun when you can beat up your friends (or get beaten up by them, depending on skill level), but I am mainly a singleplayer guy,

Same as me then. I got every Smash pre-Ultimate, but now, I don't think it's worth it anymore.

42 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Not to mention making characters more accurate to source material as well. That would have been nice.

Sa-mus Sa-mus! Ice-Beam, Ice-Beam!

Samus has amassed such a cool arsenal of beams (and beam combos, and Power Bombs) over the years, and not one of them is represented other than the near-harmless Grapple Beam. Show me da Wavebuster! And give Dark Samus the MP3 Hypermode techniques.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sa-mus Sa-mus! Ice-Beam, Ice-Beam!

Samus has amassed such a cool arsenal of beams (and beam combos, and Power Bombs) over the years, and not one of them is represented other than the near-harmless Grapple Beam. Show me da Wavebuster! And give Dark Samus the MP3 Hypermode techniques.

Yep it would have worked, had they put in the effort for it. 

I could make an endless list of ideas, but the fact that I can just proves my point.

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Making more personal movesets would go a long way in defining them.

That is true.

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Nintendo internet moment. Xd although, offline tournaments are coming back soon, if that's your kinda thing!

Eeeh, not really, haha ^^
I played Smash mostly for the fun, not to win anything!

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd blame this somewhat on first-party Nintendo characters being intentionally left undeveloped. Relying entirely on charm, not depth. Mario is forbidden from speaking directly such that the player understands it, so does Link, Kirby, the 'mons, Samus for many but not all of her games. Leaving them free of development makes them more understandable to people of all ages and capable of being interpreted however one wishes. But how could one make an actual "story mode" out of basically anyone first-party but like the Star Fox trio, Olimar, and the Fire Emblem characters? Chatter is essential for story, and in the absence of it, Subspace as you alluded to is as close as they could get.

Yeah, that is a very good point.
Making something akin to Warriors All-Stars, where every character interacts with each other and shows their personality that way, would be impossible to do for Smash in light of this. Some conversations would be... very one-sided. xD

Which would leave us with something akin to the Subspace Emmissary as the only option, like you said.

Considering she and Megaman have pretty much the same core moves, I would imagine she would have been a similar "projectile only" fighter as him, if her moveset wasn't a holdover from back when Smash was a side project Sakurai worked on during weekends.

Edited by BrightBow

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Enjoy your little acid trip! It's a good game, albeit one I've never finished above Normal difficulty, do a Super Hard run if you want something that'll take a while.

Played a couple stages already, on hard because I'm a real manly man. I'd forgotten how fun this game is.

...I missed a jump and now I have to play the stage again so I can grab the last piece of the medallion. God fucking damnit.

24 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Zidane was 54? Amarant was 52 I think,  maybe 49 for Eiko, and Vivi was 44.

Yeah, Not much of a difference with Zidane (little higher than mine) but I doubt anyone else was as high for me as I was switching a fair amount and I only remember Zidane going over 50.

25 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

On my scoring system, an 8 is not to be ignored. To go over it.:

• 10/10 Perfection. Play it! -Unless the genre or franchise of the game doesn't suit you no matter what. Genre/franchise issues are always understandable.
  • 9/10 If you're into the genre, then you practically have to give the game the light of day. -Unless for the above reason again.
  • 8/10 If you're into the genre, definitely consider it.
  • 7/10 If you're into the genre, consider it.
  • 6/10 If you're into the genre, maybe consider it.
  • 5/10 or less, don't bother at all.

8/10, with a stated 9/10 had I played it years prior, is by no means a bad score. A serious 9 I would not give lightly, and a 10 I'm probably not likely to ever give. An 8 is great.

Yeah, I realise that, the whole thing was meant as a joking descent into fananger "How dare you mock my favorit!1!!1!!!11!1" only to undercut it with the Vivi response.

46 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Come now, it's possible to have hype for two things. And if Golf comes before, it's not like they're competing for your time.

Well, that depends on when I pick them up arguably.

Besides, it's still hard to realise there's a part of me actually interested in a Mario title. Me, the resident "Who the Mario?" person on a Ninty fan forum.

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I could swear I remember seeing the people-shaped hole thing was talked about but I forget what.

It's probably hentai isn't it?