Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, DragonFlames said:

I came to really like both her and Reah after Ys 1, 2, and Origin, I will be honest. And perhaps it was because of Origin, because I had that context, that that line had so much impact to me. Or I'm just too easily sucked in to the emotions of a scene, haha

1, 2 and Origin made me a Reah fan yeah xD

Honestly

i like Ys 1/2 quite a bit (especially 2)

but they are hurt quite badly by being a late80s/early90s game the same way they are so enjoyable by being a late80s/early90s game

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

relies on flavor text in the part of the Bracer Notebook that I barely ever looked at. I hadn’t even read it until after the fact. 

Don't i always tell you to read the notebook xD

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

1, 2 and Origin made me a Reah fan yeah xD

Nice, nice! ^^
I like both characters, and I couldn't possibly decide which of the two I'd prefer, haha!

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Honestly

i like Ys 1/2 quite a bit (especially 2)

but they are hurt quite badly by being a late80s/early90s game the same way they are so enjoyable by being a late80s/early90s game

I liked both of them quite a bit, as well! I think it's important to remember the time they were made in, and seeing them as a product of said time. Sure, they may be outdated by today's standards, but I still think there is value in experiencing them, and their oddities looked to be more charming than anything else, haha!
Especially 2 had so much charming stuff put into it, it's unreal!
Granted, I saw the Chronicles versions, but hey! xD

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

So after getting the Ice Beam in Metroid Prime, I found an elevator that takes me to Talking Overworld South. You can't get into this elevator without the Ice Beam so i figured this is where I'm supposed to go right now. So I get to Overworld South aaaaaaaaaand I need Power Bombs to progress. Which is don't have. So I look up where to get them. Phazon Mines, ok. Aaaaaand I need the Gravity Suit to get there. Which I don't have.

*Sigh*

58 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well, finally got the Gravity Suit after searching for a needle in a haystack. Fuck man, I went to two places I wasn't supposed to, granted, heading to the Sunken Ship despite the game literally telling me to go back to Phendrena Drifts was my fault, but still. This play session was not....pleasant.

I ran into the same problem. The game usually does a good job of directing you where to go next, but I delved into the depths of the sunken frigate and wasted like a half or full hour (blame the limitations on jumping pre-Gravity Suit) there.

46 minutes ago, Armagon said:

"By the time of the Metroid Dread game’s events, the Metroid species no longer exists"

Damn. Like, setting aside a probable "Metroids are being secretly cloned" thing again, those words hit pretty hard.

True. Although Super Metroid had those terribly weak "Mochtroids" the Space Pirates invented, so it's possible at least that we could get better artificial facsimiles, to preserve their signature appearance and abilities.

And this reminds me that the Prime series kinda messed up here. They canonized it as between 1 & 2, because the Space Pirates have Metroids, and Samus is supposed to have eradicated all but one of them by Metroid 2's end. But the pirates seem capable of breeding Metroids, and there is no definitive evidence Samus eradicated every last Metroid in Space Pirate captivity. Given the pirates exist throughout the galaxies, it is not infeasible they preserved some living Metroids somewhere on some planet or spaceship.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Granted, I saw the Chronicles versions, but hey! xD

i mean that's what i played as well xD

Especially 2 had so much charming stuff put into it, it's unreal!

2 is real real good

1's biggest problem was the bosses. 

6 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Don't i always tell you to read the notebook xD

About quartz and arts, not the random other stuff that I don’t feel like reading about

The game has enough reading as it is!

Also, recent events in Ys 8 made me think of this line in Mary Skelter:
qaldCU4.jpg

Just replace "humans" with "Eternians".

Just now, Shrimperor said:

i mean that's what i played as well xD

I see! xD

2 is real real good

Yeah, definitely! ^^

1's biggest problem was the bosses. 

That is sadly true.

Edited by DragonFlames

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That is sadly true.

Batman almost made me ragequit back then lol.

And other bosses are either zzz easy or bullshit hard. No inbetween xD

thankfully Ys 2 fixed that and almost every boss is fun

except the last one is kinda a dps race

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Just replace "humans" with "Eternians".

Ah yeah suffering time

They are pulling an Archer on her

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

ran into the same problem. The game usually does a good job of directing you where to go next, but I delved into the depths of the sunken frigate and wasted like a half or full hour (blame the limitations on jumping pre-Gravity Suit) there.

I think the game should've just directed you to Phendrena as soon as you get here Ice Beam instead of just waiting until you enter the Sunken Ship.

The game also should've just made the Great Tree Hall inaccessible until later cause my God, the game totally tricks you into going there first.

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And this reminds me that the Prime series kinda messed up here. They canonized it as between 1 & 2, because the Space Pirates have Metroids, and Samus is supposed to have eradicated all but one of them by Metroid 2's end. But the pirates seem capable of breeding Metroids, and there is no definitive evidence Samus eradicated every last Metroid in Space Pirate captivity. Given the pirates exist throughout the galaxies, it is not infeasible they preserved some living Metroids somewhere on some planet or spaceship.

It's possible. Although since Dread is supposed to end the arc between Samus and the Metroids, there's a good chance we might not see the alien jellyfish of death in future games. Well, assuming those future games take place after Dread.

Seriously tho, one thing i love about Ys 9 more than any other Ys...

It's ending left me completely satisfied with a huge grin in my face.

It's probably why i gave the game such a high score despite my numerous complaints.

The ending is the one thing that made Ys 8 not a 10/10 for me, while Ys 9 ending is just so so so

smile inducing 😄

Onwards, to a new adventure.

And they even hint where we will go next when they move forward the timeline!

Edited by Shrimperor

It was all going so well.

Until they silenced my restorer and slept my other healer.

Now I'm running away desperately with two slept people and no way of curing it because the other healer is on the other side of the map.

Aaaah.

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

True. Although Super Metroid had those terribly weak "Mochtroids" the Space Pirates invented, so it's possible at least that we could get better artificial facsimiles, to preserve their signature appearance and abilities.

I mean, you still have to fight a couple actual Metroids just before Mother Brain in Super Metroid. It's a parallel to the first game, but those were definitely not Mochtroids, if I recall. So maybe you are eradicating the last genuine Metroids the Space Pirates had?

T6gfcmbz o

Aww... Dangit, I wanted more interactions between them.

Anyway, another map done. That was a rout with 12 turns of reinforcements, which sounds super tedious, until the reinforcements charge you, half the army gets slept and you wish it was tedious instead. Thankfully, I was able to lure half of the final enemy forces to the second team, which, in spite of only being four people - one of them with 2 speed - was far stronger than the other one.

I don't think I've much left now. A few more chapters should do it. Here's hoping it doesn't drop the ball like Dark Lord and the Maiden of Light. It has gotten tougher and tougher, but so far it hasn't become outright impossible like that one. But let's give it time.

(I mean, at any rate, "2 speed in the lategame" lady alone makes this hack good, but...)

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Valve just went and said '''we will do our own switch'' huh

What? Valve's making a Steam console? That sounds a bit weird... Most of Valve's customers are PC folks. Not the sort that is all too fond of consoles and their limitations.

This was kinda funky tho. Not what I'd expect out of an ice level.

19 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

It's ending left me completely satisfied with a huge grin in my face.

A good ending can make your issues with the game feel worth it to an extent.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

With the most unappealing button layout.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:
T6gfcmbz o

Aww... Dangit, I wanted more interactions between them.

Riveting dialogue.

G03xX3o.jpg

I like the dude crossing his arms. He's very wide. He looks like they took a thin person model and just... sort of stretched it like a JPEG. I don't know if I'm explaining myself properly... maybe it's just me.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I like the dude crossing his arms. He's very wide. He looks like they took a thin person model and just... sort of stretched it like a JPEG. I don't know if I'm explaining myself properly... maybe it's just me.

...?

Ben Swolo | Wiki | Star Wars Amino

Just now, Armagon said:

Riveting dialogue.

Ey, cut 'em some slack, writing supports is consistently the bane of every hack creator. They're half implemented in this game, some of them exist, some of them don't. I hope they'll be fully implemented at some point, but the main game and story are done, so no rush.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's difficult to come up with anything to say about stuff like this. It's just so grim.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

...?

Ben Swolo | Wiki | Star Wars Amino

Yes, basically, that's the impression I'm getting from that guy. Again, maybe it's just me. I'm weird like that.

24 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I mean, you still have to fight a couple actual Metroids just before Mother Brain in Super Metroid. It's a parallel to the first game, but those were definitely not Mochtroids, if I recall. So maybe you are eradicating the last genuine Metroids the Space Pirates had?

Considering Prime didn't exist at the time of SM, I had assumed those had been born of the Baby Metroid, even though it had not become a Queen Metroid, which were firmly established by that point.  Maybe the Space Pirates were able to clone it or something.

29 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's possible. Although since Dread is supposed to end the arc between Samus and the Metroids, there's a good chance we might not see the alien jellyfish of death in future games. Well, assuming those future games take place after Dread.

True, "arc-ending" doesn't have to mean "irrelevant, never-ever-in-any-capacity will see again". It means no more emphasis in the storyline of eradicate the Metroids, rescue the Baby Metroid, cry yourself to sleep over the Baby Metroid, get injected with 'troids, something 'troids.

Which could be a good thing for Samus's games. See more of the sci-fi universe with emphasis on new things, Prime had already mostly sidelined the Metroids. Prime Hunters and 3 made threadbare attempt to add more named and living people from non-human races to the universe, but they weren't enough.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This was kinda funky tho. Not what I'd expect out of an ice level.

I like it, the softer notes add a "white, frosty, delicate, echoing in the wilderness" touch to the funk. It's something, which is better than much of MP's soundtrack.

12 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

*Checks*

Visually reminds me of a Sega GameGear. The trackpads take up too much space and cramp the buttons and control sticks, at least visually. Internal storage looks small given the size of modern PC games b/c laziness on data compression, outside of the most expensive model.

I'll consider it for a minute, and then remember I want to emulate as well, so nope, still need a gaming laptop at like twice the cost.

10 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Pffft
That's a good joke.

I've been trying to tell myself the "World is doomed!" and then move on, but nope not working, still panicking with fear on the inside a little or a lot every day. And I've played too many video games to feel Buddhism as more than a commodity.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

XD
I see!
That's the same guy who... well...
XHpHJu6.jpg

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I think a lot of problems could be solved if people either a) discared greed (like that will ever happen) and b) PLANT SOME FUCKING TREES YOU ABSOLUTE IMBECILES!
Sorry for getting heated there, it's nothing against you. My monitor's HDMI port decided to stop working suddenly and I am a little bit absolutely livid about it.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's difficult to come up with anything to say about stuff like this. It's just so grim.

The only saving grace is that it's the ocean the main oxygen producer... but that ain't looking so good either.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Considering Prime didn't exist at the time of SM, I had assumed those had been born of the Baby Metroid, even though it had not become a Queen Metroid, which were firmly established by that point.  Maybe the Space Pirates were able to clone it or something.

True, but then why have both those and Mochtroids? Was it a recent breakthrough that mattered little since Samus came barreling barely five minutes later? Post Prime games it can be seen as a handy retcon/clarification.

I think a lot of problems could be solved if people either a) discared greed (like that will ever happen) and b) PLANT SOME FUCKING TREES YOU ABSOLUTE IMBECILES!
Sorry for getting heated there, it's nothing against you. My monitor's HDMI port decided to stop working suddenly and I am a little bit absolutely livid about it.

Planting trees is sadly not gonna be a good solution on its own. You'd need to apply the first too... but yeah, good luck getting all those Corporate CEO's to change their tune. Just look the uphill battle in the US when it comes to the oil companies.

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

XD
I see!
That's the same guy who... well...
XHpHJu6.jpg

Well, that's just amazing, isn't it.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The only saving grace is that it's the ocean the main oxygen producer... but that ain't looking so good either.

At the rate we're going, it's going to start consuming more than it produces.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Planting trees is sadly not gonna be a good solution on its own. You'd need to apply the first too... but yeah, good luck getting all those Corporate CEO's to change their tune. Just look the uphill battle in the US when it comes to the oil companies.

Good ol' money. The source of all of mankind's problems.

9 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yeah... it's an absolute travesty, really.
Plant trees, build some facilities to desalinate seawater and use that to make the deserts green. Power it with solar panels. That's the thing that should be done. But they don't do it because "it costs too much" and/or "it doesn't yield enough short-term profit". Instead they just needlessly jack up prices on everything and leave everything else as is so already poor people don't even know how to get through the winter without freezing to death.
Disgusting. Utterly fucking disgusting.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, that's just amazing, isn't it.

It is!

Edited by DragonFlames

That's the thing that should be done. But they don't do it because "it costs too much" and/or "it doesn't yield enough short-term profit".

you know what's 'funny'?

We could generate more money if we invest into renewable stuff

but nah let's destroy the planet first <.<

FFS Canada reached 50 degrees

what more do we need...