Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

So after getting the Ice Beam in Metroid Prime, I found an elevator that takes me to Talking Overworld South. You can't get into this elevator without the Ice Beam so i figured this is where I'm supposed to go right now. So I get to Overworld South aaaaaaaaaand I need Power Bombs to progress. Which is don't have. So I look up where to get them. Phazon Mines, ok. Aaaaaand I need the Gravity Suit to get there. Which I don't have.

*Sigh*

48 minutes ago, Zan Partizanne said:

simply wish nobody coming in a situation like this.

vEtxhVc.jpg?1

Jesus Christ, that's awful. I hope you all can get through this.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Dangit, Steam didn't accept my refund request for CrossCode because I went over 2 hours.

Oh, well. Maybe in a few years from now I'll be in more of a mindset to appreciate it, I guess.

@Zan Partizanne

Take care and hopefully you can get through this!

@Armagon

@DragonFlames

I don't think Adol needs to ''speak'' tbh. Especially not after 9.

While in the old games Adol was more or less a player character, ever since 7/Celceta they have been defining his personality more and more.

Celceta talks about his past, desires and dreams.

8  mirrors him through Dana, makes him super emotive, and is defined by his interaction with the cast.

9 is literally a game about him. His story, experience and character are the centeral point of Ys 9. It's why i recommend  you play every game before it.

In those games they also give him dialogue choices so many times he might as well not be a silent MC. Not to mention the moment he speaks become much stronger due to that.

Also side Materials make him ''speak''.

There's also a lore reason: As i said before, the games we play are books written by him. About his adventures and travels, and not about himself.

Real life reason: Tradition + Creator of the series not wanting Adol to speak.

Edited by Shrimperor

Well, finally got the Gravity Suit after searching for a needle in a haystack. Fuck man, I went to two places I wasn't supposed to, granted, heading to the Sunken Ship despite the game literally telling me to go back to Phendrena Drifts was my fault, but still. This play session was not....pleasant.

17 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

While in the old games Adol was more or less a player character, ever since 7/Celceta they have been defining his personality more and more.

Celceta talks about his past, desires and dreams.

8  mirrors him through Dana, makes him super emotive, and is defined by his interaction with the cast.

9 is literally a game about him. His story, experience and character are the centeral point of Ys 9. It's why i recommend  you play every game before it.

Like I said, I haven't really played the other games but one could argue the stuff here would benefit from having Adol actually talk.

Idk, I guess I'll form a stronger opinion once I actually play these games. I mean, I did find it weird that Adol didn't speak when I played Ys 7 but lol Ys 7.

18 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

those games they also give him dialogue choices so many times he might as well not be a silent MC

Ok but that's every game with a silent MC.

…hoooooly crap, the story.

Well, before I say anything else,

TNAeYqh.jpg

Anyway, 

Spoiler

first Kloe revealed she was going to inherit the throne, but that wasn’t really surprising.

But then… but then… an Erebonian force shows up at the border with steam tanks and a bunch of soldiers, right after we saved Grancel from Ouroboros, which is like 🤯 an incredibly unexpected prevent.

Kloe gets a new outfit

5bcxIfy.jpg

And she goes to negotiate, try to get Erebonia to not invade, blah blah blah, AND THEN THE BEST PART OF THE ENTIRE PLOT HAPPENS

si9REv3.jpg

eprtS11.jpg

WHAT!?!? 10000000/10 plot moment. This is an FC ending level of fantastic, incredible plot twist. I can’t even put into words just how wonderful this. That was easily the best part of the entire story so far.

BfnjZt2.jpg

The story acknowledges Estelle’s A rank bracerness, nice. Although she is later confirmed to be B-rank sooo…

And it turns out, like the rest of the plot, everything was Cassius’ plan. Everything about Olivier/Olivert makes sense now, that was so wonderfully done.

jt3YQGI.jpg

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

The plot and writing are incredible you guys. Incredible.

It looks like there wasn’t a boss for this chapter, which is good, because I didn’t want to fight anymore bosses without arts. But I don’t even care about the gameplay right now, the story is that good. Falcon did a marvelous job.

I can’t for the life of me find the theme that plays when you’re heading to Grancel after the event there begins, despite scouring through the soundtrack of this game and FC, so have this song that played in the chapter instead.

gamroxx.jpg

So Nintendo put out a new Metroid Dread report and

07-MD_Report3_Screen_Map_01_IconLock_UKV

Finally, after 35 years, we finally get maps that tell you the terrain of each room instead of being blocks.

.... actually, has any Metroidvania shown you map terrain instead of it just being cell blocks?

Also 

"By the time of the Metroid Dread game’s events, the Metroid species no longer exists"

Damn. Like, setting aside a probable "Metroids are being secretly cloned" thing again, those words hit pretty hard.

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The plot and writing are incredible you guys. Incredible

That was a very good scene, yes.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

TNAeYqh.jpg

Oh boy

you did it.

Grats!

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The plot and writing are incredible you guys. Incredible.

Kino? Kino!

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

AND THEN THE BEST PART OF THE ENTIRE PLOT HAPPENS

Was awaiting your reaction ahahaha

The biggest plot twist

now, prepare for

TRAILS IN THE SKY!

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ok but that's every game with a silent MC.

I guess I've just played weird games with silent protagonists, because in my experience it's not that often that they get dialogue options.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Also 

"By the time of the Metroid Dread game’s events, the Metroid species no longer exists"

Damn. Like, setting aside a probable "Metroids are being secretly cloned" thing again, those words hit pretty hard.

I suppose, but it has been since the end of Super Metroid. I guess it still hits hard today, huh.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I haven't really played the other games but one could argue the stuff here would benefit from having Adol actually talk.

''Show don't tell'' works better with Ys imo

Also Falcom has the tendency to make characters talk more than they should...

I don't want Adol to end up being a Haha machine

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Oh boy

you did it.

Grats!

I used a guide for the hidden quests and got a couple decisions wrong first try (but because I’m salty, I only think one of them was really a good, fair choice that I messed up). Thank you, though!

Kino? Kino!

Kino.

Was awaiting your reaction ahahaha

The biggest plot twist

The best plot twist. Absolutely phenomenal. That’s been a pattern with the plot twists in these games, but this is one is FC ending levels of incredible.

now, prepare for

TRAILS IN THE SKY!

Oho?

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I guess I've just played weird games with silent protagonists, because in my experience it's not that often that they get dialogue options.

Yeah, I can't even think of a silent protag game without dialogue options of the top of my head that I've played. 

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I used a guide for the hidden quests and got a couple decisions wrong first try (but because I’m salty, I only think one of them was really a good, fair choice that I messed up).

don't blame ya xD

Oho?

you will see

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

don't blame ya xD

Some of them are not that bad and then some of them are like “what were they thinking?”, but the main thing is I actually found a convenient guide that was mostly spoiler free.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

you will see

I await more kino.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Some of them are not that bad and then some of them are like “what were they thinking?”, but the main thing is I actually found a convenient guide that was mostly spoiler free

ya know which one did me in?
Renne's Hide and Seek

Thanks to that quest i couldn't get A-rank

Also, I've been sketching more VS characters lately. I'll do more Berwick ones eventually, but so far I've found the VS style(s) a bit easier to sketch. 

Cezar:

Spoiler

20210715_010213.jpg

And Bertholia:

Spoiler

20210715_131301.jpg

ya know which one did me in?
Renne's Hide and Seek

Thanks to that quest i couldn't get A-rank

That one was challenging.

The one that was the worst, in my opinion, was the question after you defeat all the boss monsters at the beginning of chapter 5, and you have to say how they were acting, which the game doesn’t really give you any info on. The correct answer is that they were acting agitated, but I have no clue how you were supposed to know that.

3 minutes ago, Spara said:

Bertholia

dat one is good!

That one was challenging.

The one that was the worst, in my opinion, was the question after you defeat all the boss monsters at the beginning of chapter 5, and you have to say how they were acting, which the game doesn’t really give you any info on. The correct answer is that they were acting agitated, but I have no clue how you were supposed to know that.

Iirc the clue was that they were stronger than usual

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This one's my favorite so far.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

dat one is good!

😄 Thanks! I'm definitely starting to feel improvement even though it took me several tries to get the general shape of her head right

@Zan Partizanne I wish the best for you and your family!
Our area is entirely unaffected by this flood, the only thing we have is a bit more rain than usual.
My heart goes out to you guys! Stay strong!

44 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I don't think Adol needs to ''speak'' tbh. Especially not after 9.

I mean, I don't disagree. I like silent protagonists more than most people, and if anything, he reminds me a LOT of what the Etrian Odyssey Untold games do with their own silent protags, which to me is to this day the best implementation of such I have seen in a game yet.

I only said that I prefer Yunica as a protagonist and character, that's all. I didn't even call Adol bad. That thought never crossed my mind, tbh. There are some... horrifyingly bad main characters: Ephraim, Hugo, Otsuu, among others.

Adol is not one of those.

47 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Not to mention the moment he speaks become much stronger due to that.

That "Feena..." in Ys 2, man...
One word; one name. But the impact was massive.

48 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

In those games they also give him dialogue choices so many times he might as well not be a silent MC.

Though I have to agree with Armagon here: that's basically every game with a silent main character.

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That "Feena..." in Ys 2, man...
One word; one name. But the impact was massive

I still think Feena needed much more screen time for that scene to hit as hard as it should tbh.

But that's me and not being fan of Damsels in Distress, i supposse.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

I still think Feena needed much more screen time for that scene to hit as hard as it should tbh.

But that's me and not being fan of Damsels in Distress, i supposse.

The damsel in distress part was unworthy of her character, I think.
I came to really like both her and Reah after Ys 1, 2, and Origin, I will be honest. And perhaps it was because of Origin, because I had that context, that that line had so much impact to me. Or I'm just too easily sucked in to the emotions of a scene, haha

But I agree, she needed (and needs - I do want her to reappear one of these days, preferably playable, so her character can really shine) more screentime.

Also, that song is beautiful.

13 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Iirc the clue was that they were stronger than usual

I didn’t feel like resetting the boss after getting the choice for that one, so I didn’t even try. But if you’re curious about the other decisions I got wrong:

I accidentally gave up at the hide and seek with Renne (well I didn’t accidentally pick the option, I picked because I was curious about the the phrase it uses, since I’d never seen it before that, and I didn’t expect Renne to pop out), which caused her to reveal her hiding spot, so I didn’t really find it honestly.

That quest where Estelle teaches the kiddos about being a bracer at the church. I have absolutely no clue how you got those all right first try, especially the last one since it relies on flavor text in the part of the Bracer Notebook that I barely ever looked at. I hadn’t even read it until after the fact. I think I got like three questions wrong when I tried it (on the bright side, that only loses you one BP).

When you have to bluff about reinforcements coming to the disguised Jaegar at the end of the prologue, the option “We don’t NEED to call” tempted me a lot, but the problem with it is that it doesn’t say where Estelle is going with that, so all you’re left with is a second grader’s comeback of “but actually, no!” and that’s that. I picked smoke signals, and sure he was on the roof, but Estelle should have pushed the bluff harder because he didn’t when exactly they sent smoke signals and there’s no way he was on the roof literally the entire time.

In chapter 2, when you compare the earthquake at the second military place to the one at the first military place, I forgot how long the first one lasted. That was just an honest mistake.

I think that’s all of them.

Edited by Sooks