Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

24 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I feel called out.

I didn't know nor meant to do that. And I understand that perhaps a few additions- this grappling hook use in dungeons I hear of for instance, could not have been DLC'ed in.

24 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I sense some animosities here... XD

I've never played FFXV, I bear no intense dislike towards it. it was more complaining about Square resorting to use of two fantasy tropes as old as Dungeons & Dragons- crystals and summons, in almost every game, and yet treat their games so seriously. I understand a franchise sticking to its old story staples again and again, Monolith and Enix do. But Square puts on airs at times of modern mainline Final Fantasy being "a momentous story that transcends all arts and human emotion", and yet they're still stuck in shiny rockland, it's more than a little incongruous to me. Dragon Quest doesn't try that, and Xeno can get philosophical, but I don't think it pretends to be a masterpiece in the canon of humanity. 

That, and I was trying to capture some of the frustration the average Square employee may have felt working on a game that had a 10-year development cycle. Wikipedia dedicates an entire page to the creation of the game.

Oh, and I forgot another elephant- Pokemon. Sword and Shield as of June 2020 have sold 18 million copies, two million of which went out the door on the first three days alone. Amazing how good a game can be when you forgot to leave the computer arrow thingy out of the credits for just a brief second, and when the DLC gets praise for limited inclusion of a properly-sized Wailord.

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That Patricia girl reminds me of Mimi somehow.

I don't think this is what you meant, but this came to mind:

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, Caster said:

I actually quite like Mario Party 1, but it's definitely not the shining example of balance in the series, as someone who has played most.

I only played 1, 9 and the one for Switch.

If you don't like 1's balance, you really shouldn't play 9 because it's entirely luckbased. There are no circled boards and mini games have like no weight because you can pretty much lose all your earning if one bad event happened to you (loses half of your coins instantly). This game was so bad.

I personally like the gimmick of stealing the opponent's coins in MP1, but 2 and 3 are more polished regarding boards.

Just now, Julian Teehee said:

I only played 1, 9 and the one for Switch.

If you don't like 1's balance, you really shouldn't play 9 because it's entirely luckbased. There are no circled boards and mini games have like no weight because you can pretty much lose all your earning if one bad event happened to you (loses half of your coins instantly). This game was so bad.

I personally like the gimmick of stealing the opponent's coins in MP1, but 2 and 3 are more polished regarding boards.

Oh, I don't mind 1's balance, it's just a lot different and I don't think the best way to do it in the series.
I haven't played 9 or 10 because I don't want a car.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

At least for the first three Atelier Arland games, I can tell you that you do always know what you need to do. The "problem" is being able to do it within the time limit, which at least in Atelier Totori is very strict.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

It's action-based. Certain actions take up one or a set amount of days to complete. So it's not like Pikmin or Majora's Mask where time passes passively.

There's two ways it's handled: segmented and continous.

• Segemented Atelier games have their time-limits split up into intrevals. In Atelier Rorona, you have three months to complete each assiginment over a period of three years. In Atelier Escha & Logy, you have four months to complete each assignment over a period of three years and then, if you built the airship during that time, you have an extra full year to complete the final goal.
  • Continuous Atelier games just give you full years to beat the game. In Atelier Totori, Meruru and Ayesha, you have three years to complete the main goal and then in the first two, an extra two years to complete the final goal. In Ayesha, you have an extra full year to do whatever you want if you accomplished the main goal.

The main problem lies in the continuous format. You are told your objective, actually getting there is the issue. Atelier Totori's is just badly designed in general. Atelier Meruru's final goal isn't actually told to you (though it has multiple so i guess that's why) and Atelier Ayesha is just too vague on what you need to do to accomplish your goal.

Timelimits stopped being a thing in Atelier Shallie and onwards, except for the first half of Atelier Firis, where you have a full year to get your alchemy license (and from what i hear, the timelimit is a complete joke).

I see. Thanks for explaining. 👍

There's one mystery about Mario Party 1 which never was answered to me:

What's with the yellow coloured event (coins / stars bonus for Bowser) on Bowser space?

It never happened to me.

Technically I played Mario Party 8 once. It was against an ex friend who also is maybe still a happy owner of Etrian Odyssey IV. Can't give an opinion about this game though.

Edited by Julian Teehee

Huh, never played a Mario Party game. Mostly because a party game requires friends. They do look like fun, though!

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I didn't know nor meant to do that. And I understand that perhaps a few additions- this grappling hook use in dungeons I hear of for instance, could not have been DLC'ed in.

Don't worry, don't worry! I was joking around with that one, since I bought the original Persona 5 rather close to release.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I've never played FFXV, I bear no intense dislike towards it. it was more complaining about Square resorting to use of two fantasy tropes as old as Dungeons & Dragons- crystals and summons, in almost every game, and yet treat their games so seriously. I understand a franchise sticking to its old story staples again and again, Monolith and Enix do. But Square puts on airs at times of mainline Final Fantasy being "a momentous story that transcends all arts and human emotion", and yet they're still stuck in shiny rockland, it's more than a little incongruous to me. Dragon Quest doesn't try that, and Xeno can get philosophical, but I don't think it pretends to be a masterpiece in the canon of humanity. 

Ah, I see.
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from, definitely.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That, and I was trying to capture some of the frustration the average Square employee may have felt working on a game that had a 10-year development cycle. Wikipedia dedicates an entire page to the creation of the game.

Oh, I am aware of the troubled development the game had. It's a fascinating story, actually.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Oh, and I forgot another elephant- Pokemon. Sword and Shield as of June 2020 have sold 18 million copies, two million of which went out the door on the first three days alone. Amazing how good a game can be when you forgot to leave the computer arrow thingy out of the credits for just a brief second, and when the DLC gets praise for limited inclusion of a properly-sized Wailord.

Pokémon Sword and Shield prove two things to me:
1) sales do not indicate game quality
2) a large part of the Pokémon fanbase is grateful for the opportunity to pay for content that should have been in the base game to begin with, which is... stupid, to put it as diplomatically as I can possibly muster.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't think this is what you meant, but this came to mind:

Oh, that Mimi. Yeah, she seems... out of place in Mario game. Then again, I hear the entirety of Super Paper Mario is rather unusual for a Mario game.

I was referring to this Mimi:
snnVhyP.jpg4
The girl on the right.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

To be fair, 8 was the only one I've ever played, so I can't speak about the quality of the other games in the series.

The thing with Mario Party is that it's like pizza. Even when it sucks, it's still good (though the Mario Party spin-offs are actually bad). 

Everyone shits on 9 and 10, rightfully so, but they can still be quite a lot of fun.

Mario Party, huh.

I think I only played one of the older ones. The first or second. I forgot. Definitely one of the N64 games. With relatives, it was, second cousins or so I think it was.

5 minutes ago, Julian Teehee said:

There's one mystery about Mario Party 1 which never was answered to me:

What's with the yellow coloured event (coins / stars bonus for Bowser) on Bowser space?

It never happened to me.

It doesn't happen, that's the point.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Try saying that again when you tried chocolate cake pizza...

That actually still sounds good.

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Try saying that again when you tried chocolate cake pizza...

Son_of_Godzilla_Minilla.jpg

2 minutes ago, Julian Teehee said:

It's a gambling game, nothing else.

Yes that's what Mario Party is.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

No.

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

wat?

Yep.

Spoiler

packshot-ristorante-225000926-002-ciocco

And no, I couldn't believe my eyes at first, either.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

You either have chocolate cake or pizza. Not both! But maybe that's just me. XD

Just now, Armagon said:

Son_of_Godzilla_Minilla.jpg

No.

You get me!

Edited by DragonFlames

Ngl, that does look and sound good.

Though maybe if it didn't had the marshmallows.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

17 minutes ago, Caster said:

I also feel bad, because lots of you talked good about Mario Party 8, when I don't think it's very good, so.

It's playable on my Wii U and Super Mario Party wasn't out at the time when I bought it. Thats the only reason I play it. My Mario Party history started with 3, followed by 4 and 5, DS, Island Tour, and then 8. I still have a GameCube and 4 & 5, but why bring that up when I still use the Wii U and the Wii Remotes are more fun in a way? 

Not sure which is my actual favorite. I thought I heard people once praise 3 as the best though, and that 6 is better than 5, besides 9 and 10 being bad. I'll give a half-point to 5 though for having the Star Spirits, being the Paper Mario 64 fan I am.

Nintendo really should release an anthology of the pre-8 Mario Parties, but then why buy any new ones when they're all so similar? Thats why they never will I think.

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The thing with Mario Party is that it's like pizza. Even when it sucks, it's still good (though the Mario Party spin-offs are actually bad).

Not sure of Advance b/c I never played it, though I'll agree Island Tour is bad. DS however I will defend as good, and the set of old Tetris-esque puzzle games that don't end are a fun time-waster.

6 minutes ago, Caster said:

It doesn't happen, that's the point.

I think they can, at least in one Mario Party, but nothing happens and Bowser just goes away if you get that.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer
Didn't notice you already knew of dessert pizza. Sorry!

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yes.

Fixed it for ya!

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

You either have chocolate cake or pizza. Not both! But maybe that's just me. XD

I dunno, for me, it's like,

People: "Do you want food A or food B"

Me:ComW1uS.jpg

Edited by Benice