Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

don't, compared to my rants, your rants are nothing xD

I don't think your rants are dumb, either, actually. And neither are they unfounded.
When compared to the CS games, Sky FC has no excessive character wank, the "glory-stealing" doesn't completely devalue the protagonists, and the story in general feels a lot more focused.

Let me know what other people in the Falcom chat think of my "OC". XD

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Yeah, the Gen I music's are also amazing, as is the champion's theme.

True!

I'm starting to feel nostalgic right now... Pokémon Blue was the first video game I ever played, and I loved it.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I'm starting to feel nostalgic right now... Pokémon Blue was the first video game I ever played, and I loved it.

Yellow was my first, and I've collected them all since!

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Yellow was my first, and I've collected them all since!

👍
I played everything up until Omega Ruby, which was the point I gave up.

Come to think of it, my opinion on Pokémon went downhill around the same time I discovered stuff like Fire Emblem, Tales of, etc.

13 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

don't think your rants are dumb, either, actually. And neither are they unfounded.
When compared to the CS games, Sky FC has no excessive character wank, the "glory-stealing" doesn't completely devalue the protagonists, and the story in general feels a lot more focused.

I do kinda overdo it from time to time

but it's my former fav. series so...

Atelier Ryza has sold 500,000 copies worldwide.

This is a good result!

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I got a license for an airship, which might come in handy later down the line.

Yeah that's basically just skip travel. You can skip travel from save points too.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sounds like a franchise thats become a follower. Operating on the notion I've seen before of "turn-based games can't possibly sell, action is where it's at!".

What's odd here is that Trails has been turn-based since 2004. We're 10 games in now so switching to action now feels.....odd. Though we at least know it's not full-on ARPG like Ys or Tales. We know it still has command-based elements mixed in with that action. Whether that's more along the lines of FF7R or Xenoblade is unknown but if Trails gets Xenoblade combat, that's just a win-win for me.

I just need to see how it goes. Paradigm shifts in a franchise aren't too much of a concern for me as it tends to be with most people, provided if it's done well (i've talked about this before using examples like Breath of the Wild and Origami King). Though i do like the balance that Ys and Trails struck. Both are Falcom's flagships but Ys was for the action fans and Trails was for the turn-based fans. Not to mention that recommending people Trails is gonna be tougher now because in addition to the 10 games worth of continuity, now we have to factor gameplay preferences into the mix. Even though the second half of the overall timeline is mostly a clean slate, when things start to return, it might present a problem.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

A quite hilarious notion, considering the success of Dragon Quest XI and especially Persona 5.

Listen i know what you're saying but Dragon Quest is like, omega popular in Japan, of course it's gonna have success.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Seems like Harem End is confirmed for Rean as well, from what i watched yesterday

3b15330e5afdb5900ea00da63e74ea86.jpg?wid

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Hajimare spoilers

Spoiler

Seems like the game is doing some Alter/Multiverse shit. 2 Rufus. 2 Rean.

I'm not too surprised at this given that Crossbell kinda established alternate timelines and 3rd established alternate universes (even if Phantasma was a pocket dimension). Of course, then there's McBurn straight-up being an interdimensional being.

Actually prologue has an implication i am very uncomfortable with: Simulation

I've been worried about this since CS4 actually. Specifcially the part where Emma says that you can't actually leave Zemuria. Sail/fly too far away and you end up back to where you started. I mean, before, i just thought it was dimensional shenanigans but idk now.

The curse, the fucking Curse is back. And it's in fucking Crossbell. Kill me.

No wait, why is back? I thought we got rid of it. Falcom no!

Blublanc stole Schera's wedding Dress 493135310973304842.png?v=1

Good. I fully expect Blueblanc to just crash Olivier and Schera's wedding.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Actually, I'd probably enjoy Atelier myself since I love RF so much.

How much do you like timelimits? Cause that is a factor in the older Atelier games.

Edited by Armagon

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

How much do you like timelimits? Cause that is a factor in the older Atelier games.

Depends on the game, tbh. I loved Pikmin 1, but didn't care for it so much in Majora's Mask, for example. Although I don't really know much of how it works in Atelier.

As long as I know my objective, I don't mind it that much.

Edited by twilitfalchion

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Indeed it is!

Yeah that's basically just skip travel. You can skip travel from save points too.

That is very nice!

Listen i know what you're saying but Dragon Quest is like, omega popular in Japan, of course it's gonna have success.

Good point. But I hear it was quite successful internationally, as well.

11 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Depends on the game, tbh. I loved Pikmin 1, but didn't care for it so much in Majora's Mask, for example. Although I don't really know much of how it works in Atelier.

At least for the first three Atelier Arland games, I can tell you that you do always know what you need to do. The "problem" is being able to do it within the time limit, which at least in Atelier Totori is very strict.

---

4IGBbyT.png

She says thankfully, but then the sound effect reads "Oh yeah!" with hearts... Huh.
XD

Also, for context, she has basically x-ray vision, but she can control what she wants to see through.

20 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

It's action-based. Certain actions take up one or a set amount of days to complete. So it's not like Pikmin or Majora's Mask where time passes passively.

There's two ways it's handled: segmented and continous.

• Segemented Atelier games have their time-limits split up into intrevals. In Atelier Rorona, you have three months to complete each assiginment over a period of three years. In Atelier Escha & Logy, you have four months to complete each assignment over a period of three years and then, if you built the airship during that time, you have an extra full year to complete the final goal.
  • Continuous Atelier games just give you full years to beat the game. In Atelier Totori, Meruru and Ayesha, you have three years to complete the main goal and then in the first two, an extra two years to complete the final goal. In Ayesha, you have an extra full year to do whatever you want if you accomplished the main goal.

The main problem lies in the continuous format. You are told your objective, actually getting there is the issue. Atelier Totori's is just badly designed in general. Atelier Meruru's final goal isn't actually told to you (though it has multiple so i guess that's why) and Atelier Ayesha is just too vague on what you need to do to accomplish your goal.

Timelimits stopped being a thing in Atelier Shallie and onwards, except for the first half of Atelier Firis, where you have a full year to get your alchemy license (and from what i hear, the timelimit is a complete joke).

14 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Should've really just focused on new characters

From what i know, Hajimare is basically one final sendoff to the Crossbell and CS cast (and Sky kinda but primarily Crossbell and CS) since we ain't gonna see a majority of these characters again for a long while. I can understand that sentiment at least.

Edited by Armagon

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I can understand that sentiment at least.

should've atleast tried to make it good

right now they just seem to be baggage to the actually good stuff, C route.

Baggage you've to do

Spoiler

even if i hate the whole idea of Rufus redemption or something 

Edited by Shrimperor

23 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Good point. But I hear it was quite successful internationally, as well.

Not sure I can find definite numbers on this, but according to Wikipedia, at the end of last year, the game had sold 5.5 million copies. Of these, at least 2.38 million were sold in Japan, so probably about half the sales of the game would've come from aboard. Not bad, particularly when 100% of the prior game's sales came from Japan, and I don't think Reggie's forced effort to sell IX went over well either.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not sure I can find definite numbers on this, but according to Wikipedia, at the end of last year, the game had sold 5.5 million copies. Of these, at least 2.38 million were sold in Japan, so probably about half the sales of the game would've come from aboard. Not bad, particularly when 100% of the prior game's sales came from Japan, and I don't think Reggie's forced effort to sell IX went over well either.

I knew the game was successful, but 5.5 million copies? Wow.
That's very impressive.

40 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I knew the game was successful, but 5.5 million copies? Wow.
That's very impressive.

By comparison, the Persona 5 you mentioned in the same breath sold 4.6 million by the end of just the last month, adding together both the original version and "You Should've Waited Idiots, Atlus Doesn't Do Persona DLC Expansions" Edition.

Both of these numbers also blow away XC2, which as of March of last year had sold 1.73 million. That published by SE but not developed by them "homage to the SNES-era" RPG- Octopath Traveler, factoring in the PC port, has sold over 2 million.

For a few more, somewhat incomplete, modern JRPG sales numbers:

• That Atelier Ryza game thats the best selling in that franchise has sold only 420 thousand copies.
  • While that Cold Steel III game sold only 87 thousand copies in Japan when it initially released, I don't have global sales for this game, but presumably it's nowhere near 1mil.
  • Rune Factory 4 Special I have no sales for, but the 3DS original version sold over 150 thousand copies specifically in Japan, which made it the highest selling in the franchise at that point.
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse I don't have full numbers for, but the Japanese sales for that game were about half of SMTIV, which had globally sold 600 thousand copies.
  • I can't get sales numbers on Etrian Odyssey, but it appears not a single game had sold even 200k. By the end of 2016, before Nexus and the international release of V, the franchise- 9 titles factoring in the Mystery Dungeon spinoffs at that point, had sold 1.6 million altogether.
  • Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, is the last title in that franchise that I can get global numbers for, 2 million.
  • Annnnnnnnnnd Final Fantasy XV sold 8.9 million copies. This, despite a No Good Really Bad It Was Insane F*** The Crystals Lick Bahamut and BDSM Corporate Square Development Hell that should've sunk it. *sigh* How it easy it is being the top dog.

Oh, and modern Fire Emblem, which is JRPG-ish in vibe. 1.9 mil for Awakening, 1.84 million on Fates (not sure how to count that with the route divide), 2.87 for Three Houses, 1 million for Fire Emblem Warriors. And maybe 200 thousand for Tokyo Mirage Sessions factoring in the Switch port?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

By comparison, the Persona 5 you mentioned in the same breath sold 4.6 million by the end of just the last month, adding together both the original version and "You Should've Waited Idiots, Atlus Doesn't Do Persona DLC Expansions" Edition.

I feel called out.

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Both of these numbers also blow away XC2, which as of March of last year had sold 1.73 million. That published by SE but not developed by them "homage to the SNES-era" RPG- Octopath Traveler, factoring in the PC port, has sold over 2 million.

For a few more, somewhat incomplete, modern JRPG sales numbers:

• That Atelier Ryza game thats the best selling in that franchise has sold only 420 thousand copies.
  • While that Cold Steel III game sold only 87 thousand copies in Japan when it initially released, I don't have global sales for this game, but presumably it's nowhere near 1mil.
  • Rune Factory 4 Special I have no sales for, but the 3DS original version sold over 150 thousand copies specifically in Japan, which made it the highest selling in the franchise at that point.
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse I don't have full numbers for, but the Japanese sales for that game were about half of SMTIV, which had globally sold 600 thousand copies.
  • I can't get sales numbers on Etrian Odyssey, but it appears not a single game had sold even 200k. By the end of 2016, before Nexus and the international release of V, the franchise- 9 titles factoring in the Mystery Dungeon spinoffs at that point, had sold 1.6 million altogether.
  • Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, is the last title in that franchise that I can get global numbers for, 2 million.
  • Annnnnnnnnnd Final Fantasy XV sold 8.9 million copies. This, despite a No Good Really Bad It Was Insane F*** The Crystals Lick Bahamut and BDSM Corporate Square Development Hell that should've sunk it. *sigh* How it easy it is being the top dog.

Oh, and modern Fire Emblem, which is JRPG-ish in vibe. 1.9 mil for Awakening, 1.84 million on Fates (not sure how to count that with the route divide), 2.87 for Three Houses, 1 million for Fire Emblem Warriors. And maybe 200 thousand for Tokyo Mirage Sessions factoring in the Switch port?

Very interesting! Thanks for this!

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Annnnnnnnnnd Final Fantasy XV sold 8.9 million copies. This, despite a No Good Really Bad It Was Insane F*** The Crystals Lick Bahamut and BDSM Corporate Square Development Hell that should've sunk it. *sigh* How it easy it is being the top dog.

I sense some animosities here... XD

8 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I feel called out.

In fairness, they said they weren't going to do one for P5... then did it anyways, so.

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

Wouldn't exactly say it's like The Sims. If I remember correctly, in The Sims, you're basically just God and you build your world. Rune Factory (and Story of Seasons) are more grounded. Think more along the lines of Animal Crossing except without being extremely reliant on irl time and you actually have goals instead of needing to come up with your own.

FYI, don't play the new Harvest Moon games. The real Harvest Moon is now known as Story of Seasons, due to the devs losing the rights to the original localized name. Any current games that are called Harvest Moon are merely cheap knockoffs that bait unknowing fans into buying it.

I'm not familar with any of these mentioned games, but I'd try any of these games out sometime in the future because I like games with lifetime simulation included.

3 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I don't like it because they are really just saying "fuck you, single player! have fun losing all your coins in one sitting!" 

As I said it's the only 1 vs. 3 game which screws the single player. Most games give the single player even an advantage like crane game or coin shower flower. If I'm not wrong Mario Party 1 is the only game you can win / lose coins from / to the opponents.

5 minutes ago, Julian Teehee said:

As I said it's the only 1 vs. 3 game which screws the single player. Most games give the single player even an advantage like crane game or coin shower flower. If I'm not wrong Mario Party 1 is the only game you can win / lose coins from / to the opponents.

I actually quite like Mario Party 1, but it's definitely not the shining example of balance in the series, as someone who has played most.