• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Happy birdday @Newtype06!

Falco_peregrinus_m_Humber_Bay_Park_Toronto.jpg

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

DAMN IT IF ONLY ID HAD OCHETTE IN THE PARTY

I should’ve seen if I could capture it.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work, but it would be funny if it did.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I owned and played both Pikmin 1 and 2. Never made it very far in either though, I didn't like the time limit in the first as a kid, the second I was better at, although I went no further than the big breadbug cave. I spent a lot of time reading my game guides for these games though, flipping through the pages and reading them thoroughly. Nowadays, the aesthetic and some of the enemies of Pikmin can creep me out. That, and I'm afraid I'd incur heavy casualties fighting almost anything, seeing Pikmin die is not guilt-free with the sound of their demise and their ghosts floating off.

Pikmin 1's time limit isn't too demanding from my current perspective (you have 30 days to get 30 parts), but time limits also used to bother me when I was younger. I never actually played Pikmin 1 though...

Pikmin 3 also has a time limit, which is limited by the food supplies (or juice, rather) you have. You get more juice by collecting fruits, the main collectible of the game, so the time limit shouldn't be too much of an issue if you're efficient with your collecting.

If some things about Pikmin creep you out, try to avoid the Submerged Castle.

On the topic of museums, I've been to the British Museum and the American Museum of Natural History; the latter was part of a college trip on human evolution, so I couldn't stay for as long as I wanted.

Finally! been waiting this for a very long time. the original system been sooo outdated, everything update they do with DLC is just adding stuff without fixing/upgrading the existing outdated simulation. You know something just not right when a devs rely  too much with community mods to fix your game.

40 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, haha, this is neat.

i know that reference. thats a good meme

--------------------

@Newtype06 happy birthday! hopefully someone gives you a cake or something

37 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

If some things about Pikmin creep you out, try to avoid the Submerged Castle.

So that's the one where the Waterwraith descends after enough time has passed on a given floor and it's invincible b/c you can only enter the cave with Blue Pikmin when you need Purples obtainable on the last floor to injure it. I had forgotten what it's called.

Beady Long Legs also unnerve me, I don't like their IRL inspiration at all. The things that sometimes appear from the floor or eggs and send the Pikmin into frenzy also creep me out. The one "optional super-enemy" in Pikmin 1 is kinda disturbing nowadays too.

6 minutes ago, joevar said:

Finally! been waiting this for a very long time. the original system been sooo outdated, everything update they do with DLC is just adding stuff without fixing/upgrading the existing outdated simulation. You know something just not right when a devs rely  too much with community mods to fix your game.

I bought the original on one of its bazillion sales last year, I haven't really played it though. I haven't figured out how to get rolling into the quintessential city builder.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

@Acacia Sgt @Armagon I found the better video of the strange event I mentioned before (Octopath 2 spoilers… probably)

Spoiler

Here you can properly see that the entire world is darkened like that, they go into a random encounter against a purpley shadow version of a regular enemy where you can barely see, and the whole thing just goes away after they win the fight. And of course, that BGM is not the usual track for this area.

I’m assuming there’s some explanation for this, but it’s so random that it’s fascinating.

So, I remembered I still had an unfinished playthrough of Chrono Trigger, where I was getting all the endings. Might as well finish that.

---

Ah, so many choices on what to write next... so many projects unfinished, so many wishing to be started, heh...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

8 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I have made great strides as a Pikmin 2 fan... sort of. As of yesterday I have 9964 out of 10000 pokos needed to "finish" the game, which is the most progress I've made in my 19 years of owning it. I only need one treasure with a value over 35 pokos to get the credits, but next I'll go through the Shower Room for maximum Louie playtime. Alternatively I could get a treasure in the Submerged Castle to reach 9999 pokos, hmm... Theoretically you can finish the game by going through the first dungeon 413 times, but that didn't sound very fun.

I doubt anyone with no Pikmin knowledge would understand any of this, so for the uninitiated, Pikmin 2 is a game about paying off debt.

I like the idea that the game is so outrageously difficult that it takes 20 years to reach the end. How's that for content?

...also that's one patient debt collector.

Osborne driving a mini-Eisengraf will be top tier, you can't go online without seeing at least five of him. I can't believe they still left out Kevin, he has a perfect vehicle and everything.

I will get the game only for Factory Worker Garon.

I can't believe you accidentally bought a creepypasta game. But apparently you like those, so hopefully it turns out well.

Every copy of Octopath Traveler II is personalized?

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

Octopath 2 spoilers… maybe?

Hide contents

I found a better video earlier but this

and It’s not just a random encounter that triggered that, I left a town and the whole world transitioned to that purple color with the background music become really creepy. I couldn’t switch the time of day and it didn’t go away until I killed a shadowy enemy like that. It seems completely random, and the subreddit seems to have no idea.

@Armagon in case you missed it.

Man, I wish that had happened to me. It would've been so cool and now I know it because I can't help myself.

6 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

A Year Older. None the Wiser.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/847/890/71f.jpg

Here's to another year of anime, Ohsix!

I was going to play more Pokemon tonight but ended up getting into a long discussion with Blindcoco about AI and it's effects on game development and the automation of various things in general and how that may positively or negatively effect us and also something about bad villager units with insane growths.

Typical.

Also I commend your valiant effort @Eltosian Kadathon the Kaizo hack, it was an honor for the Golduck to serve you.

Before I go to bed I wanna ask you folks to recommend me some games you think I might enjoy, I likely wont play them anytime soon but I would like to put more games into my backlog so I can remember them for later.

Any game that's not already on this list I am happy to hear about.

HsApU3z.png

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I bought the original on one of its bazillion sales last year, I haven't really played it though. I haven't figured out how to get rolling into the quintessential city builder.

i dont even know how to rope people into city builder. other genre sure, but city builder? dont know how. personally i like it since one of the early games i play as a kid was Simcity.

but city builder.. adventureous? nope. adrenaline rush like action game? nope. solving prblem like puzzle? nah. thinking strategically like an Strategy games? maybe, but not really? .... dunno what what makes its entertaining. lmao

but if someone were to ask why Cities Skylines (over other city builder)? Thats easy: MODS. just like people who ask why people still play Skyrim: MODS

1 hour ago, GuardianSing said:

I was going to play more Pokemon tonight but ended up getting into a long discussion with Blindcoco about AI and it's effects on game development and the automation of various things in general and how that may positively or negatively effect us and also something about bad villager units with insane growths.

Typical.

Also I commend your valiant effort @Eltosian Kadathon the Kaizo hack, it was an honor for the Golduck to serve you.

Before I go to bed I wanna ask you folks to recommend me some games you think I might enjoy, I likely wont play them anytime soon but I would like to put more games into my backlog so I can remember them for later.

HsApU3z.png

I feel you would love Disco Elysium. It tackles some topics that would be right up your alley. It gets, dare I say, political.

Also it's very funny. Politically funny. Bold game, that one.

1 hour ago, joevar said:

i dont even know how to rope people into city builder. other genre sure, but city builder? dont know how. personally i like it since one of the early games i play as a kid was Simcity.

but city builder.. adventureous? nope. adrenaline rush like action game? nope. solving prblem like puzzle? nah. thinking strategically like an Strategy games? maybe, but not really? .... dunno what what makes its entertaining. lmao

but if someone were to ask why Cities Skylines (over other city builder)? Thats easy: MODS. just like people who ask why people still play Skyrim: MODS

I believe I own Cities Skylines, but I never played it much.

The one I did play a bunch was Tropico 4. I got it with all the DLCs for like, 30 cents many years ago, one time they made a mistake with the pricing on a sale. A really kind fellow from a TF2 server I frequented warned of the mistaken sale, and when I was unable to get the money quickly because I was 15 and Mom wasn't home, he agreed to buy a hat from me for cheap. Thanks, man.

It was pretty fun. Not exactly too difficult, but I remember beating it once and having a fun time. One of these days I gotta check out the campaign. Or going full despot, that seems like it should be entertaining too.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Tropico 4. I got it with all the DLCs for like, 30 cents many years ago, one time they made a mistake with the pricing on a sale. A really kind fellow from a TF2 server I frequented warned of the mistaken sale, and when I was unable to get the money quickly because I was 15 and Mom wasn't home, he agreed to buy a hat from me for cheap. Thanks, man.

how different tropico compared to other city builders? i keep getting interested in tropico but somehow never buy it.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

One of these days I gotta check out the campaign.

it has campaign? as in story campaign? or just scenario with specific set of objectives/conditions?

Just now, joevar said:

how different tropico compared to other city builders? i keep getting interested in tropico but somehow never buy it.

Well, you play as the dictator of a banana republic, with all that entails. You gotta deal with a failing economy, appease the people for votes and/or rig elections, keep the different factions happy so the country keeps chugging along, salt rebellions, lick some superpower boot so you don't get nuked, that kinda stuff. It's a fun angle for a city builder (or I guess, island builder?).

Just now, joevar said:

it has campaign? as in story campaign? or just scenario with specific set of objectives/conditions?

Yeah, there's a campaign. I'm not entirely familiar with it, but I believe it's a succession of missions with a little ongoing story. Nothing all that big, as far as I know, but hey.

3 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

I am just going to put down some random suggestion...Looks like you are exploring JRPG (for lack of a better term at the moment), and here are some staples of the genre that I feel the need to suggest.

Mother 3: A game that would haunt Nintendo (and Reggie Fils-Amie in particular) with their refusal to localize it, despite one of the most dedicated (and ancient for Internet era) fan campaigns. It is an excellent and emotional game; to quote some advice from a classic Mother 1 commercial that hold more true with Mother 3 "No crying until the end; Guaranteed Masterpiece". This one might hit you harder than it did me, as there is a major plot point playing throughout the background of the game about the introduction of capitalism, and growth of urbanization destroying the way of life for a group of people. Despite the heaviness, the series is well known for its sense of humor, and ability to temper its more serious elements with said humor. Its predecessor on the SNES, Earthbound, is a possible entry on this list truth be told, and if you want another short blurb like this for that game as well I can certainly oblige. This is a Game Boy Advanced game that will require a well known, and well made fan translation patch to play.

Chrono Trigger : It is a classic of the genre that is one of the best examples of the classic ATB system, and that makes many people list of greatest JRPGs. Storywise it is a fun little time travel story with numerous endings, although most are hidden behind New Game+ (a concept that it helped pioneer) where you can intentionally mess with the timeline. Originally it is a SNES game, but has numerous remakes you can get depending of your system (or emulator) of preference. If you end up liking it I find it very similar in feel to a lot of the Final Fantasy games of the era, most notably FF6.

Paper Mario: The best JRPG on the N64. It uses its paper and story book aesthetics in a charming way, and excels with an extremely simple (and I mean this in the best way possible here) battle system, that adds minor timing elements to the normal turn based one to an excellent degree. It also shows a lot of creativity for a Mario game, with things like Peach stealth segments, or a penguin murder mystery, which its literal successor (Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door on the Game Cube), and its spiritual successor (the Mario and Luigi RPG serious that has entries spanning the GBA, DS, and 3DS eras), continue to display. If finding a way to play an N64 prove too difficult, or you want to try more games like it any of those would work well.

Golden Sun: I have a soft spot for this GBA classic, a game that I felt had an extremely graceful plot. Gameplawise it combines a fair number of interesting ideas into an otherwise very traditional turn based system, adding things like a magic system that allows for puzzling, the elemental Djinn system that mixes a risk reward of needing them ready to have characters in better classes, but being able to use them to then to unleash powerful summons. Admittedly it is only half of the story, with a sequel (also on the GBA called Golden Sun: The Lost Age) that you can move onto if you end up liking it, although that game I describe as epic in both a good, and bad way.

Persona 3,4 or 5:  I feel you should try out one of the modern day Persona games to see if they are your thing. Overall the idea behind them in general is that you play through a year in the life of a high schooler, whom has discovered they posses a mystical power they must use to confront some supernatural threats, all while maintaining their high school life, especially their social life, as their social links are a source of their supernatural powers. While Persona 5 is beautiful with compelling gameplay, the older ones show their age a bit in both visual, and in the gameplay department, but I find the stories, and themes explored by those stories are strongest in the older ones, and I suspect what may well be the differentiator is in the core themes being explored. Persona 3 explores the theme of how you find purpose, and meaning in life in the face of inevitable death, both of those you love, and your own. Persona 4 explores the theme of seeking out uncomfortable truths, both about yourself, and the world around you, in the face of easy, and convenient lies. Persona 5 explores the idea of how you can rebel against an unjust world, in the face of your own seeming powerlessness. Persona 3 does the best with its theme, but it is a heavy one. Persona 4 has the obvious issue of exploring question of gender and sexuality, and not having the guts to really follow through with it, making things "more subtle" for western audiences. Persona 5 has the common, and frustratingly unsatisfying issue of seeing systemic issues, and imagining that punishing individuals is the solution. All three are gems with flaws to them, but well worth playing.

Here are some more random suggestions from more diverse genres...

Katamari Damacy: Always a budget title, it set out to defy norms of the gaming industry, and resulted in an amazing little game. At its core it is a game about rolling a small ball (or Katamari if you will) that can incorporate smaller objects into it to become bigger, allowing you to roll up bigger object to get even bigger, and bigger, and bigger, until it can replace one of the missing stars from the sky. It is an extremely fun, very calming, and very satisfying little game to play, with a strong visual aesthetic, and iconic music.

Shadow of the Colossus: Another from the fruitful PS2 era, this classic involves a tragic story with minimalist dialogue in a fictional language, in which you hunt massive Colossus, so large that defeating them involves climbing their massive bodies until you reach vital points your sword might penetrate. There is a desolate beauty to this world, it gives the feeling of a civilized land that nature has reclaimed, with the Colossus as an odd mix of something natural, and artificial to them, but like the terrain it feels like they have been left to slumber until they have become a part of the world around them. There is also a distinct sense of dualism to things, from Dormin speaking with a male and female voice simultaneously, the shadow beings that surround Wander, and white doves that surround Mono as the Colossus die, one detail tragically changed in the remake of the black tendrils that erupt from a fallen Colossus, always being wreathed in light...sorry I think I got a bit off track there for a moment, point being, a beautiful, and interesting little game

Pokemon Snap (either one really): There is something really charming about a game that tries to show us how pokemon would live, and thrive in a natural environment, and then task us with getting the best pictures of them we can. Admitted the N64 original is a game you can complete in  single sitting if you want, but it is still an extremely enjoyable experience the whole way through, but the newer switch one is a longer experience, but fundamentally similar (the only gripe I have about it is that you never get to see pokemon evolve like in the N64 one...)

...I could keep going forever, but I am feeling tired, and this is enough that you probably shouldn't commit to all of these suggestion. I probably should have fine tuned the list a bit better for you specifically, but you never really know what might catch your fancy in the end.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Mother 3: A game that would haunt Nintendo (and Reggie Fils-Amie in particular) with their refusal to localize it, despite one of the most dedicated (and ancient for Internet era) fan campaigns. It is an excellent and emotional game; to quote some advice from a classic Mother 1 commercial that hold more true with Mother 3 "No crying until the end; Guaranteed Masterpiece". This one might hit you harder than it did me, as there is a major plot point playing throughout the background of the game about the introduction of capitalism, and growth of urbanization destroying the way of life for a group of people. Despite the heaviness, the series is well known for its sense of humor, and ability to temper its more serious elements with said humor. Its predecessor on the SNES, Earthbound, is a possible entry on this list truth be told, and if you want another short blurb like this for that game as well I can certainly oblige. This is a Game Boy Advanced game that will require a well known, and well made fan translation patch to play.

I can second this one. Excellent, excellent game. And the rythm gimmick makes combat less dull than the average JRPG.

Alright, the first power-up to become a mythical beings. i think this playhtru im going to become goody-two-shoes Angel. 

wAZwapuNVB.jpg

gotta save and be good with anyone while smashing evil ass

LnLjd76jJG.jpg

Power of plot armor baby, never heard of it? 

It feels really good when you power-up in middle of big moment, scare the Evil boss to shit, while this Epic song start playing in background:

Mythic power ost: *starts playing*
Boss: *laughter stops*

------------------------------------------------------

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, you play as the dictator of a banana republic, with all that entails. You gotta deal with a failing economy, appease the people for votes and/or rig elections, keep the different factions happy so the country keeps chugging along, salt rebellions, lick some superpower boot so you don't get nuked, that kinda stuff. It's a fun angle for a city builder (or I guess, island builder?).

Yeah, there's a campaign. I'm not entirely familiar with it, but I believe it's a succession of missions with a little ongoing story. Nothing all that big, as far as I know, but hey.

oh, so politics not only come into play but also important huh. sometimes (or most of the time?) a little bit of context is needed for city builders to spice things ups

Edited by joevar

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I once visited DC during an outrageous heat wave where temps reached 130F/54.4C

Oh my god

Point taken xD

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

think this is enough information?😅

Thank you 😄

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

Any other water-based attractions i should know about?

We had the Aquadom in Berlin. An elevator inside a giant water tank (1 Million Liters iirc) with the fishies around you....

Had being the key point. It burst a few months ago 😞

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Man, I wish that had happened to me. It would've been so cool and now I know it because I can't help myself.

F.

It’ll still happen to you completely randomly, if it does, tho. You’ll just be chugging along, about to finish some side quest, or maybe you’re finally getting around to heading to Ochette’s story and… boom.

5 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

HsApU3z.png

Idk if this was intentional or not, but now that they’re both out, there’s no real reason to play Pokémon Sun and Moon over Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, unless you really want to play every Pokémon game. They’re just better versions in most aspects, they have more Pokémon, slightly more story stuff, extra minigame/bonus type stuff, some fixes to make evolutions not have to wait til the late game for no reason, and it’s one of the games that has a little bit of difficulty to it.

As far as games not on here, you should play Trails in the Sky and its sequel, since you said you value a good story. The core plot is pretty good, but it is really elevated by its amazing characters. It also had good music, and a lot of people praise the world building, if that is your thing.