Rate the Unit, Day 43: Ellerean

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard 1 Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly. Also, if your vote is already a 10/10 or greater than 9 and you give a full point of bias, The score may not exceed 10!

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends from 2100 to 2200 EST. Every ranking phase starts from 2200 EST to 2300 EST. Do the math if you are in another timezone!

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "He Comes with a Free Ridersbane" as an argument.

- Rate the character based on his/her performance without the Rainbow Potion, Maturity Drop or Bond Drop

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Yubello: 1.52

Bantu: 1.61

Norne: 2.28

Rickard: 2.72

Samto: 2.90

Wrys: 3.00

Bord: 3.25

Matthis: 3.60

Radd: 3.64

Cord: 3.83

Jeorge: 4.10

Warren: 4.35

Caesar: 4.87

Roger: 5.20

Castor: 5.62

Merric: 6.25

Linde: 6.27

Gordin: 6.33

Navarre: 6.50

Arran: 6.62

Frey: 6.87

Cain: 6.91

Cecil: 7.21

Minerva: 7.50

Ryan: 7.71

Wendell: 7.83

Barst: 7.87

Julian: 7.95

Draug: 8.14

: 8.15

Yumina: 8.20

Etzel: 8.33

Rody: 8.43

Luke: 8.56

Marth: 8.70

Ogma: 9.00

Sirius: 9.31

Malliesia: 9.50

Feena: 9.53

Catria: 9.73

Palla: 9.86

My Unit: 9.99

I find Ellerean to be incredibly mediocre. He has a better base tome rank than Merric but he suffers from poor growths and he cant insta-excalibur like Merric can. He also has the same shortcoming Merric has of having D staves in...chapter 10 when your staffbots are likely at C staves already, with some possibly in B...I give him a 4/10. Incredibly mediocre but still salvageable.

Edited by PKL

I think the worst part with Ellerean is this:

Merric: "Hey man, check out my Excalibur!"

Ellerean: "Your Excalibur is no might for my Thoron!"

Merric: "Thoron? You mean the tome I can wield with Prologue helping my tome rank?"

And thus Ellerean sinks to nothingness, because his C Rank tome is shy on Excalibur, he has no Staff rank to speak of, his bases and growths aren't that much different from Merric, but he doesn't have as high of the Speed growth either. I guess if you're willing to dump an Arms Scroll he's not bad, but...

...4/10.

He's angry, and he's better-looking than Merric. Silliness aside, he's damn durable for a mage, and he'll cap-ram speed, just like his classmate. What sets him apart from Merric is higher Tome rank and less screen time. . .and his ability to commit suicide. He can wield Excalibur, but it'll require burning the Chapter 8 Arms Scroll on him.

7/10 (bias point for being my favorite mage in the game)

EDIT: Lategame ownage

Edited by eclipse

Ellerean.

Merric without prologue or insta-calibur - which were Merric's best features. (Well, Ellerean can Excalibur if he eats the ch8 Arms Scroll. Bleh.)

Merric gains speed much easier, and Ellerean's 1 speed base lead can be negated by Merric's prologue experience.

Ellerean's got better HP/Def, but I have no idea if that makes any significant difference later on - also, 2 luck with only 30% growth makes me uneasy.

Probably the best thing I can say about Ellerean is that he gives Wendell the opportunity to deliver an awesome verbal smackdown.

3.5/10

(Also, the Jeorge link is still broken, and the Shiida link does definitely not lead to Shiida)

I'm gonna pull some numbers off the averages. Based off of the draft run I'm doing, Ellerean is at 18/8. Let's assume they don't quite get this much favoritism, and put them at 15/8, instead. Average-wise, that's 20/3. The average Merric will have 38-39 HP and 9-10 Defense. The average Ellerean will have 41-42 HP and 12 Defense. Doesn't look like much, right?

I just finished Chapter 19, and the scarier units pack 32-33 Attack. Even with his upper parameters, Merric faces 2HKO. . .and that's from five ballista, at least two of the warriors down south (didn't bother with the others, as I wasn't about to disturb them), and all the Generals (I think the Silver Lance Paladins have slightly less, but I don't remember for certain). Ellerean ekes by with a 3HKO. Even if it looks minor, the HP/DEF difference counts.

Yeah ellerean is bulkier but his offensive growths leave a LOT to desired. I drafted him in an H2 draft and wow, he was so bad. He never proc'd spd for one and i ended up benching him. Yumina, of all people, was outperforming him in combat :/. Also, durability kinda doesnt matter anyways, since bishops are meant for staff and excalibur spam not pure combat, that is the pallie's and draco's job. Oh, and i also had random crit...restart! issues with him. Especially from one particular ice dragon in C14 when i attempted the 4 turn rescue with him...i ended up promoting yumi to do it.

Edited by PKL

You're claiming screwage off of 40% Magic growth (not impossible, but eh) and 50% Speed growth. Not sure if dynamic growths stuck around.

...Meh, he's not a terrific unit, but I think he's being underrated in this thread. His slightly higher bulkiness compared to Merric is canceled out by his slightly impaired capability to dodge, which is caused by his lower speed and luck.

What he does have over Merric is a higher tome level (which can increase his performance with tomes somewhat) and higher magic stat.

6/10

I think what people are ignoring is the fact that both are fast enough to cap Speed; in Ellerean's case, his 50% has the highest deviance, so there's no telling what will happen.

Even if it looks minor, the HP/DEF difference counts.

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. Ellerean might be able to squeeze in one extra hit. I don't have H1 numbers and probably overestimate H1 enemies after being traumatized by Lunatic. What kind of crit numbers are enemies pulling? Because Ellerean's luck ain't too hot. Although there are Goddess Icons in chapters 11, 16, and 17.

I need to redo Chapter 20, because I forgot to distribute door keys.

It looks like the heroes hover in the 10-11% range, mages are 6-8% (fuck the Thoron guy), the armors are at 8% or so, snipers are at ~15%, and the 'zerker I see is at 19%. My 18/9 Ellerean has 7 luck, so he's facing low crit from everyone except the snipers and 'zerkers. Don't get me started on the Killer Axe guys that show up in the next chapter.

Goddess Icon should keep his crit chances low enough so that the only thing he has to worry about are the 'zerkers.

He's alright, a tankish sort of mage with a C rank, but to be honest, while both his and Merric's bases are similar Merric can use Excalibur right away, Ellerean needs to be B rank, you need Merric to save Elice, Ellerean doesn't need to recruit anyone, oh and Merric useable in the prologue so...

5/10

Ellerean

* Begins in Chapter 10

+ Decent/Good Base Stats... Level 10

+ Decent/Good Growths.

+ Weapon Rank Tome C

- He is like Merric, but... he doesn`t have much luck, essential to avoid many attacks, but has a lot of Growth on HP to get some hits.

- He doesn't have a high final stats, except in HP and Speed

Score 5/10

Just finished Chapter 21 of my draft run. Ellerean's bulk was absolutely crucial in the beginning; he absorbed two Wyverns and KO'd them with Excalibur (and didn't care if he doubled them). The dragons only get stronger from here on out.