(Serenes Forest Mafia) General Discussion

Psych

Alright, here's sort of a question I've been mulling over for a while and I think I've randomly talked about it to people, but I remembered this thread exists and I think it's worth asking. It's not the only near-omnipresent game factor I disagree with but it's a big one. Hammers being required to lynch are very widespread, but so much of the time they feel out of place/

From a gameplay perspective, what does requiring a hammer for every/ almost every lynch bring that is interesting?

The reason I bring this up is because I personally feel the answer is "nothing". So much of the time people don't care for any of the high-vote wagons towards a phase's end, or even as early as 24 hours before, and drop their actual cases just because they want to actually get a lynch accomplished. I think it hurts the idea of gunning for people you truly think are scum because pursuing a case is unrealistic, and the idea of getting unity for a lynch is nice, but in practice the amount of times everyone's like "this is a good lynch" and not a lot of people feeling "well this lynch actually sucks but I'd rather it than nothing".

I'm curious to hear who feels differently about this. I think it is more tradition than anything at this point, but I'm not sure how many people disagree, and I think this is a discussion that really needs to be had.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if there was no requirement for hammer, people get lazy and it makes hosts frustrated that people are not putting in effort for their games /thread

edit: to further elaborate; if you want a lynch, push for it! you have 72 hours in a day phase to do so, that's enough time to convince others (which is the point of making cases etc)

Edited by Curly Brace

I just had the strangest idea: A Mafia game where we are anon accounts... using the same nickname as our fellow Mafia players! It'd be your opportunity to be MANix, which is... quite cool for some people, I suppose.

That'd be bound to be funny and confusing and mindfucking.

@The above: personally I think a compromise would be nice, like having at least a third of the playerbase vote (see: Cy'or now!). I feel like the end of day does just becomes a rush to go who you think is best but agree that town need something more to motivate them.

we could always re-introduce the "if a majority is not reached my deadline/hammer is not reached by deadline, a random nonvoting person gets lynched instead" rule

I just had the strangest idea: A Mafia game where we are anon accounts... using the same nickname as our fellow Mafia players! It'd be your opportunity to be MANix, which is... quite cool for some people, I suppose.

That'd be bound to be funny and confusing and mindfucking.

I've proposed this as like a Not SFMM5 before but don't want to host it because I'd rather play.

signups can be through PM, you know...

somehow I forgot about this, yay go me

No, I thought about something random because it can get bothersome if two players choose the same nick.

Alright, here's sort of a question I've been mulling over for a while and I think I've randomly talked about it to people, but I remembered this thread exists and I think it's worth asking. It's not the only near-omnipresent game factor I disagree with but it's a big one. Hammers being required to lynch are very widespread, but so much of the time they feel out of place/

From a gameplay perspective, what does requiring a hammer for every/ almost every lynch bring that is interesting?

The reason I bring this up is because I personally feel the answer is "nothing". So much of the time people don't care for any of the high-vote wagons towards a phase's end, or even as early as 24 hours before, and drop their actual cases just because they want to actually get a lynch accomplished. I think it hurts the idea of gunning for people you truly think are scum because pursuing a case is unrealistic, and the idea of getting unity for a lynch is nice, but in practice the amount of times everyone's like "this is a good lynch" and not a lot of people feeling "well this lynch actually sucks but I'd rather it than nothing".

I'm curious to hear who feels differently about this. I think it is more tradition than anything at this point, but I'm not sure how many people disagree, and I think this is a discussion that really needs to be had.

On top of what Manix said, *YLO would be a BITCH for scum, its an unfair disadvantage IMO.

Also I've hosted a maf game without the hammer thing (FFM) and what happened there was even though people decided their lynch for the day in some phases I had to keep phase going till the end just because of the Day SK. So it kinda drags things too sometimes when its not necessary.

EDIT: Regarding lynching for consolidation I'm one of the few players who actually advocate No-Lynch D1 if there aren't any good candidates but its tough to pull off those when people think No-Lynch= Free N1 Maf kill.

Edited by Bluedoom

I think optional hammers are fine but mandatory just has the bullshit deadline scramble so very, very frequently. Requiring like a third is probably okay but I think half is just a pain that isn't actually helpful to have around, and I feel like if it was really a great motivational thing it wouldn't happen. Like when Manix said /thread before I think the insinuation that it is a universal motivation booster for players is actually pretty ridiculous. If anything I feel like hammer can sometimes be less motivating since after a point it basically locks in all lynch possibilities, or you get to dumb turbolynch territory. When people are like "better switch to this guy 10 minutes before deadline to consolidate!" that doesn't exactly strike me as good motivation, just filler shit because you have to have over half votes, better stop caring about real cases, etc.

if there was no requirement for hammer, people get lazy and it makes hosts frustrated that people are not putting in effort for their games /thread

edit: to further elaborate; if you want a lynch, push for it! you have 72 hours in a day phase to do so, that's enough time to convince others (which is the point of making cases etc)

108 pages of Super Smash Bros Universe disagree with this. Back when we played mostly OC most games we didn't require a hammer either from what I remember.

I think optional hammers are fine - if a lot of players agree on a lynch there's usually no point to playing out the entire day phase; mandatory hammers aren't awful or anything, but I don't think they really do a whole lot. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd think that if someone isn't motivated to play, instead of not posting in a non-hammer game, most of the time they'd just throw down a vote on the largest wagon in a hammer one. That's not what I'd consider effort.

It was 2/5 at deadline, 1/2 to go to grace period, 2/3 supermajority. In hindsight I might've done 1/3 deadline but I think something like this is a lot better than required hammer.