Favorite "Low Tier" Units

Truereaper777

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: On topic: Neimi is a favorite, for sure. Don't know if Heath counts, given flying utility, but I use him every playthrough and the random tier list I googled has him in "low-tier". Tiltyu and Azel are favorites of mine as well. More importantly, I think Corple gets too much hate; he's not gonna outpace Lana/Nanna, but he's not so bad, especially if Claude's the father and he gets the Fortify staff.

I had great fun with Sharlow and his Berzerk staff on my last PT. I like Corple/Sharlow as characters and I'm willing to baby them through.

Neimi.

wSCpJuC.pngJ4Kwj4z.png

This is what she looked like on my first playthrough. Obviously I can't prove it on FE8, but the only statboosters I used on her were a Body Ring and a Dracoshield. She capped Strength at 20/12 and Speed at 20/15. When I used her, I was thinking, wow, IS knows how to make earlygame archers somewhat useful for once. Then I compared her stats to her averages on SF and realized that all of her stats were above average...

lol yeah. Neimi is one i like to use cuz she can horsie and support with Colm who likes to take things out of chests.

lol Marisa, i do not get why people like her so much. Shes butt compared to Hatshua.

Favorite grunts?

FE7: Matthew is one of my uber fave units to use. He will often get used and promoted with that Fell Contract. One time, he went above average stats and it was neato. I also love Rath loads. Serra and Bartre too.

FE8: Amelia. I love me some lady paladins. Neimi, sometimes.

FE9: Oh man oh man. I love me some Makalov! I like Astrid too but im not sure shes low tier in this game.

FE10: lulz. Fiona. I actually will use her just because. Sometimes, ill do the same thing with Lyre but its way more rare. Astrid again and definitely love me some Sigrun. Nealuchi!

FE13: Virion. Natch. Hang on, Henry is low tier now? Wat? Of course in that game, i can make anybody i want to be awesome.

lol yeah. Neimi is one i like to use cuz she can horsie and support with Colm who likes to take things out of chests.

lol Marisa, i do not get why people like her so much. Shes butt compared to Hatshua.

Favorite grunts?

FE7: Matthew is one of my uber fave units to use. He will often get used and promoted with that Fell Contract. One time, he went above average stats and it was neato. I also love Rath loads. Serra and Bartre too.

FE8: Amelia. I love me some lady paladins. Neimi, sometimes.

FE9: Oh man oh man. I love me some Makalov! I like Astrid too but im not sure shes low tier in this game.

FE10: lulz. Fiona. I actually will use her just because. Sometimes, ill do the same thing with Lyre but its way more rare. Astrid again and definitely love me some Sigrun. Nealuchi!

FE13: Virion. Natch. Hang on, Henry is low tier now? Wat? Of course in that game, i can make anybody i want to be awesome.

fe7-Rath/Matthew aren't low tier iirc. Matthew is responsible for S ranking the game, and Rath has a ton of uses in various playstyles.

fe9-Mounts=/= low tier in fe9

fe10-Sigrun is mid iirc

Let me guess. 'Too much trouble to train'? Increases turn-counts by too much?

I couldn't give a crap about turn counts. Difficulty to train is kind of one part, although it's not too hard to raise her to level 10 by the end of chapter 11, while keeping her relatively safe (I did so on my recent no promoted units run). More importantly is how bad she is even after doing that. 22.4 HP and 4.7 DEF is probably still getting universally 2HKO'd in chapter 12, 9.6 SPD is probably enough to double some things, and IIRC is likely to get doubled by the Mauthe Doogs, and 7.15 STR isn't enough to do much more than chip damage. She's still gaining EXP fast at least, although nowhere near as fast as she was as a trainee, but now her bad growths start to become more relevant, she has some of the worst in the game. She will probably catch up, if she's given sufficient opportunity to kill stuff, but even if she does manage to overtake other (non-low/bottom tier) units in terms of usefulness, it's only very slightly and once her level gets close. She does eventually contribute, but this is FE8 - so does everyone, and ejust about everyone else does it with less period of suck. If you don't think she should be bottom of bottom, who do you propose is worse? I could still see Ewan and Marisa argued as worse, but I don't think this helps her get out of bottom tier - at best, I don't think she could get out of any likely low tier definition.

Ewan has the same issues as Amelia, except for the fact that he might be your best dark magic user, given that his competition is KNOLL.

:KnollRoll: 0 base luck, no horsie, 35% speed growth, joins at level 10 in Chapter 14/15 :KnollRoll:

Knoll is better than Ewan, I would say. Knoll can instant promote to provide Summon support and staff utility. That's not much, but it's alright. Ewan is way better as a combat unit, but has a long period where he can't contribute much and is killed easily, and by the point he's no longer a liability, it's too late in the game.

Also just because Ewan can be one of only two dark magic users, it doesn't mean he SHOULD. Dark magic is terrible in FE8, pretty much it's only saving grace in FE7 (Luna) was nerfed to the point where it's barely usable. It has a few niche uses, but generally, you'd be better off just running Mage and spamming Thunder.

Edited by Tables

They've always been low tier. The trainees are a pain in the neck to level and don't give any significant advantages over other units, whil Marisa is stuck as an under leveled sword locked unit who joins half way through the game.

I forgot how odd the Serenes tiering philosophy is...

I completely disagree, but oh well.

Who's better in a game you can complete in less than two hours? Seth who joined at the beginning and is generally awesome and doesn't need much support to destroy batallions of enemies or someone you have to baby constantly until they actually get good. Nevermind that Seth joins with a horseto get to the action sooner and you don't have to use a promotion item on him, so he doesn't compete for one of those Knight Crests.

If this was a Link Arena or a Lagdou tier list, yeah he would be pretty low, but for ingame he's amazing. Think of him like a starter Pokémon that's amazing during the game but bad to average in competition, like Typhlosion or Samurott maybe.

Edited by Woodshooter

I forgot how odd the Serenes tiering philosophy is...

I completely disagree, but oh well.

What's odd about it? A unit that's great at the start, good in the middle and good at the end gets high to top tier. A unit that's non-existent in the beginning, bad in the middle, bad at the end gets low tier. What is there to even disagree with there?

• 2 weeks later...

Hugh is actually one of my favourites from FE6. I never hear of anybody using him. I'm not that surprised though. He is recruited pretty late in the game (for an un-promoted unit). At this point you probably already leveled and promoted either Lugh or Lilina. And you have to pay to recruit him. He is still my favourite mage in that game. Plus he's Canas' son!

Very belated but... I personally find characters like Syrine and Duessel worse than the trainees/Marisa, but it doesn't matter. Even if I was 100% right and they're better, it's probably simply not enough characters to move them out of the bottom/low tiers. Not to mention that I have no knowledge on FE8 that isn't based entirely on personal experience. Still... I feel that it's pretty wrong as the Trainees not only have a huge range of options as to what they become, but Marisa really isn't as bad as people seem to like making her sound (over the years I've seen her treated as, basically, a unit who will destroy your team if you even consider her). But hey, when it comes to tiering I'm basically a mix of the renegade cop and tier idiot.

I'd like the trainees more if once you got them all to level 10, they combined to form one Master Knight unit with capped weapon ranks and 27 in every stat. How's that for options?

Edited by Refa

Very belated but... I personally find characters like Syrine and Duessel worse than the trainees/Marisa, but it doesn't matter. Even if I was 100% right and they're better, it's probably simply not enough characters to move them out of the bottom/low tiers. Not to mention that I have no knowledge on FE8 that isn't based entirely on personal experience. Still... I feel that it's pretty wrong as the Trainees not only have a huge range of options as to what they become, but Marisa really isn't as bad as people seem to like making her sound (over the years I've seen her treated as, basically, a unit who will destroy your team if you even consider her). But hey, when it comes to tiering I'm basically a mix of the renegade cop and tier idiot.

Syrene, I could see the argument for. She joins with mediocre stats for her join time and her growths are nothing special - about all she has is that she can be filler relatively easily, and flying utility which can take a hit or two is pretty nice. Duessel though... is pretty amazing, at least on Ephraim's route, and he's solid on Eirika's. 41 HP/17 DEF is some serious base bulk, and 9 RES isn't too shabby either. 17 STR is good, at least when he's doubling, which is his only really notable weakness - he often needs a speedwing to double consistently.

The trainees have slightly more options than the normal unit, but it's really not that significant of an advantage. Ross can promote to an axe locked ground unit with some extra AS, or an axe locked ground unit with some extra DEF (or if you've beaten the game on both routes, you get the extra option in an axe locked ground unit with pitiful AS). They're different, but it's hardly worth worrying about, considering Pirate > Berserker is best most of the time (occasionally Fighter > Hero might be better). Amelia has three very different choices, but Cavalier is so much better than the other two that it might as well be one choice. And from Cav she has the same degree of choice as the other Cavs do. Ewan is similar, Mage is slightly better than Pupil and Dark magic is terrible so Shaman is pretty much straight ruled out. The extra choices can be nice for personal preference, but in terms of 'best' options for beating the game (and/or beating it quickly, although I don't care much for that), it's usually a much easier choice.

Marisa has worse base stats and slightly worse growths than Joshua, while joining 5 or 7 chapters later. About the only advantage she has over Joshua is a slightly better support list. Now comparing X to Y and concluding X is much better doesn't make Y worthles, but considering that Joshua isn't really great anyway, you can start to see the issue. Marisa is definitely usable and potentially even useful, but she starts poor and without feeding resources to her, she doesn't really get significantly better. Even if you do give her the resources to catch up, you end up with a fairly unimpressive Swordmaster/Assassin. But then, really, the issue becomes what you first said: Sacred Stones only has 33 characters, so it's hard to really see who they might be better than, even if they are underrated, and even if they did move up on a tier list, it'd be only one or two places most likely.

Who doesn't want to see Amelia (super trainee) barely be able to lift up her lance and then crit'ing and killing the Evil Demon God? It's hilarious/awesome.

Low Turn Count players :Kappa:

I like how Super Trainee was a legit class in the Japanese version, but the American localizers were stoopid and made it lame as fuck.

Who doesn't want to see Amelia (super trainee) barely be able to lift up her lance and then crit'ing and killing the Evil Demon God? It's hilarious/awesome.

Me, because the super trainee class for Amelia is just pitiful. :Knoll: (TBH, I think all of the super trainees are awful)

I like how Super Trainee was a legit class in the Japanese version, but the American localizers were stoopid and made it lame as fuck.

IIRC all localisation changed was the stat caps, right? Or did they change something relevant as well, like CON?

Yeah, I'm referring solely to the class in terms of like Link Arena use and that stuff lol. It'd probably still be worse than Paladin ingame.

FE4: Lakche- fanboying ftw! (also the units I like in FE4 are mostly too good for this thread)

FE5: TANYA- she was pretty bro in the several chapters of FE5 I played

FE6: Raigh- shame he starts off in kind of a rut; I think he'd be quite good with HM bonuses but ALAS

FE7: Lyn- see FE4 entry

FE8: Ross- ROSS CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

FE9: Sothe- because pretty much everyone else in FE9 is good with a BEXP dump (though yes, I know that that doesn't make them high tier)

FE10: Sanaki- like many FE10 characters, she comes too late to really do much even if she gets BEXPed to respectable levels. Still like her though.

• 1 month later...

Apart from Ests, I gotta say I liked Jake and Beck a lot. Ballisticians are probably the greatest kind of unique the series has to offer.

Not sure what else, though. I have FE11 on the brain and can't consider much else.