"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

7 minutes ago, sirmola said:

I don't claim to be an expert, but i asked literaly exactly the same question earlier in this thread (except with +atk/-spd), and was told that the guides are often not optimal and should be taken with a large grain of salt, and that +atk is in fact really good.

Ah, glad to know. Thanks for the advice :)

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be recommending Glimmer a lot since it is cheaper than Moonbow since nobody competent wants it.

8 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Hawkeye (5* +0 +RES/-DEF): He is my last remaining 5* green and he is a good counter for blue dragons and ok-ish lance-counter in AA. I gave him lancebreaker and Iceberg. For TT he is to slow to be good on offense and his DEF is too low for a QR build. I would do the Brash Assault/Desperation trick with him, but I'm low on Desperation fodder. Any ideas for this guy? 

He is a decent mage tank, so I would give him Emerald Axe. You can also give him Defense +3 so he can tank lance units better, or go with Resistance +3 to specialize him further. If you want to keep his default weapon to activate Iceberg, he can inherit Triangle Adept instead, although I do not recommend giving him the third tier until your best Raven mages have got them first.

Narcian (4* +0): Being a flier he would be worth a 5* promotion and even a candidate for Repostion. But I have no idea what other skill to give to him. I would probably stick with Emerald axe. 

I would similarly build him like Hawkeye. His default kit is pretty good, so just give him Glimmer and Defense +3 or Resistance +3.

Gunter (4* +0 +RES/-DEF or 3* +DEF/-HP): One of the few green cavs, I would promote him if I had an idea for a build. 

He is basically Frederick but old, so you can give him [Brave Axe, Luna, Death Blow, Axebreaker], although I prefer the cheap route of [Emerald Axe, Glimmer, Defense +3, Lancebreaker] like the others.

Gray (5* +0 +ATK/-RES): While there is no shortage of swords in my roster, I have the feeling that he could be a pretty good unit. I just gave him Axebreaker for AA until now. 

I primarily use him for training other units. And of course, there is Glimmer. I kept his default sword since I see more Titanias than Frederick around.

Raigh (4* +7 +SPD -HP): I got enough copies to make him +10, but I'm not sure what tome to run on him. First I thought of Defiant SPD, Desperation, Rauðrblade+, but I'm low on Desperation fodder currently and he would need a lot of buffs to actually deal considerable damage. 

I use mine to counter Cecilia, with Triangle Adept 2 and G Tomebreaker.

There is also a Rauðrraven build.

Lilina (4* +2 +ATK -DEF): Same question as with Raigh: Which tome? She is a little slow for Rauðrblade and her DEF is too low for Rauðrraven.

You can give her Triangle Adept 2 and G Tomebreaker to shut down green mages.

I got a +Spd one so I gave mine Moonbow-Fury and use her offensively to take out green units, such as her father, and some melee red units who cannot retaliate.

Clive (5* neutral): I gave him Swordbreaker and Draw Back for AA, but the rest remained vanilla until now. 

Like other melee units, he can be specialized further with Sapphire Lance and Glimmer cheaply.

2 hours ago, Hekselka said:

I kind of want to make a 5 star Nowi. Thing is, my Nowi is +Atk-Res. From what I've seen on gamepress -Res is the best you could have while +Atk is alright.

Is a +Def/+Spd absolutely necessary to make her work? My main team consists of a BraveLyn who is neutral, Hector is +HP/-Spd, Arvis and PAzura +Def/-Res and this team has done an amazing job despite not having the perfect IV's so I'm not too picky.

Anyone happen to have experience with a +Atk Nowi?

+Atk is almost always the best boon for general purpose Enemy Phase builds, with few exceptions. As long as Nowi's boon is Attack, her bane does not really matter too much.

Never run +Spd; it is her worst boon. Even +HP is better in my opinion since it can used for Triangle Adept tanking. Nowi needs either neutral Speed or bane Speed. +Def is okay.

For your Arena team, BH!Lyn, Arvis, and PA!Azura is solid team and you can run any bonus unit on the fourth slot; I would not run Nowi on it unless it is out of the Arena. Unless you like Hector or something, he should be benched since you have better units.

Her best general purpose Enemy Phase build recently is this:
Nowi +Atk -HP
Lightning Breath [Defense], Bonfire
Steady Breath, Quick Riposte
You can run +Def, but dealing more damage is more important in my opinion.

This is her old best build or if you do not have Steady Breath:
Nowi +Atk -HP/Spd
Lightning Breath [Defense], Moonbow
Fury, Quick Riposte
Any bane is fine, but I think -HP/Spd are the best.

This is her Triangle Adept build:
Nowi -HP
Lightning Breath [Defense/Resistance], Moonbow
Triangle Adept, Quick Riposte
I am not really sure about her nature, but I think -HP is probably her best bane. I think +Spd is her worst boon since avoiding doubles is not very impactful if red units already deal so little damage to her, and you sometimes want them to double so you can activate Moonbow to kill them.

Edited by XRay

2 hours ago, Hekselka said:

I kind of want to make a 5 star Nowi. Thing is, my Nowi is +Atk-Res. From what I've seen on gamepress -Res is the best you could have while +Atk is alright.

Is a +Def/+Spd absolutely necessary to make her work? My main team consists of a BraveLyn who is neutral, Hector is +HP/-Spd, Arvis and PAzura +Def/-Res and this team has done an amazing job despite not having the perfect IV's so I'm not too picky.

Anyone happen to have experience with a +Atk Nowi?

No character "absolutely needs" a specific nature unless there is a particular threat that character is designed to check or counter and that particular nature allows them to do so or do so better.

My Nowi runs [+Atk, -Res] with a Triangle Adept build, and she holds up to pretty much everything except Brave Lyn (Brave Bow+, Moonbow, Quickened Pulse). I think a +Def refine on her weapon would make up the difference.

@XRay Because I use my Nowi as my primary answer to bows on my dragon team, I can't really run -HP, but if red units are all that matter for the team with the Triangle Adept build, -HP is probably preferable to -Res.

Also, if you are considering refining, it's good to note that a +Atk nature with a +Def refine (+3 Atk, +4 Def) is better than a +Def nature with a +Atk refine (+2 Atk, +3 Def). Of course, a +Def nature allows you to stack Def (+7 Def) if you so choose to, but the extra Atk is probably more valuable since Lightning Breath+'s low Mt is actually rather limiting when weapon triangle neutral.

3 hours ago, XRay said:

+Atk is almost always the best boon for general purpose Enemy Phase builds, with few exceptions. As long as Nowi's boon is Attack, her bane does not really matter too much.

Never run +Spd; it is her worst boon. Even +HP is better in my opinion since it can used for Triangle Adept tanking. Nowi needs either neutral Speed or bane Speed. +Def is okay.

For your Arena team, BH!Lyn, Arvis, and PA!Azura is solid team and you can run any bonus unit on the fourth slot; I would not run Nowi on it unless it is out of the Arena. Unless you like Hector or something, he should be benched since you have better units.

Her best general purpose Enemy Phase build recently is this:
Nowi +Atk -HP
Lightning Breath [Defense], Bonfire
Steady Breath, Quick Riposte
You can run +Def, but dealing more damage is more important in my opinion.

This is her old best build or if you do not have Steady Breath:
Nowi +Atk -HP/Spd
Lightning Breath [Defense], Moonbow
Fury, Quick Riposte
Any bane is fine, but I think -HP/Spd are the best.

Nowi -HP
I am not really sure about her nature, but I think -HP is probably her best bane. I think +Spd is her worst boon since avoiding doubles is not very impactful if red units already deal so little damage to her, and you sometimes want them to double so you can activate Moonbow to kill them.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

No character "absolutely needs" a specific nature unless there is a particular threat that character is designed to check or counter and that particular nature allows them to do so or do so better.

My Nowi runs [+Atk, -Res] with a Triangle Adept build, and she holds up to pretty much everything except Brave Lyn (Brave Bow+, Moonbow, Quickened Pulse). I think a +Def refine on her weapon would make up the difference.

@XRay Because I use my Nowi as my primary answer to bows on my dragon team, I can't really run -HP, but if red units are all that matter for the team with the Triangle Adept build, -HP is probably preferable to -Res.

Also, if you are considering refining, it's good to note that a +Atk nature with a +Def refine (+3 Atk, +4 Def) is better than a +Def nature with a +Atk refine (+2 Atk, +3 Def). Of course, a +Def nature allows you to stack Def (+7 Def) if you so choose to, but the extra Atk is probably more valuable since Lightning Breath+'s low Mt is actually rather limiting when weapon triangle neutral.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice guys. I think the second build will work out best for me. I'm not a big arena guy but I just like the way that build looks (and I don't have steady breath). It's going to take a while till I optimize it though, I can only get some of the skills by fully promoting some units to 5 stars. I'll also keep in mind to upgrade her LB+ with the def refinement.

I just mentioned my arena team to show that I don't care so much for the perfect stuff you know but yeah I figured that the team is far from perfect. I only get a few defense wins a week to prove that.

One last thing, I just found another Nowi in my barracks and this one has +Atk/-Spd. Between her and the +Atk/-Res she's better for the second build right? Just want to be sure before I start project Nowi.

Edited by Hekselka

48 minutes ago, XRay said:

Nowi -HP

+Spd on this lets her offensively double a neutral Ephraim.  Triangle Adept / Quick Riposte already lets you kill every single red unit except Soleil (due to Firesweep Sword) while on defense.

4 minutes ago, GinRei said:

+Spd on this lets her offensively double a neutral Ephraim.  Triangle Adept / Quick Riposte already lets you kill every single red unit except Soleil (due to Firesweep Sword) while on defense.

Nowi dies to various Lucina builds if she fails to one-hit kill Lucina. Cancel Affinity Ayra is also apparently a thing at the top of the Arena, and Def is definitely preferable to Spd in that match-up.

Player-phase match-ups (especially weapon triangle neutral match-ups) are not particularly important except against Firesweep users.

For a -Spd+Res Seigbert, would it be better to replace his Death Blow for Fury 3 to make up for the loss in Speed or is Death Blow still the best option?  I plan to run with Hone Cavalry on the team, if that makes a difference.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

I will be recommending Glimmer a lot since it is cheaper than Moonbow since nobody competent wants it.

He is a decent mage tank, so I would give him Emerald Axe. You can also give him Defense +3 so he can tank lance units better, or go with Resistance +3 to specialize him further. If you want to keep his default weapon to activate Iceberg, he can inherit Triangle Adept instead, although I do not recommend giving him the third tier until your best Raven mages have got them first.

[...]

Thanks for the detailed answer. Very much appreciated like always. 

I guess TA/Gem on most units is good, since I want to build them for TT and not for arena. The third level of TA and the "+" version of gem costs equally 20k (Roy is rare), but even TA2 costs valuable Reposition- or Galeforce-fodder. 

Breakers are ok, since I will bring a healer. 

I will go with TA2/Reposition for Hawkeye, because being a 5*, he should keep the 5* version of his Axe. Taking away his Death Blow will weaken him against Axe users, but I'll bring strong reds along with him.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Nowi dies to various Lucina builds if she fails to one-hit kill Lucina. Cancel Affinity Ayra is also apparently a thing at the top of the Arena, and Def is definitely preferable to Spd in that match-up.

Player-phase match-ups (especially weapon triangle neutral match-ups) are not particularly important except against Firesweep users.

With Triangle Adept, Lucina only does like a third of Nowi's health per hit.  And I feel Cancel Affinity falls into the same range as off-color for TA users.  Why would you fight them?

59 minutes ago, GinRei said:

With Triangle Adept, Lucina only does like a third of Nowi's health per hit.

Fury or Life and Death or Swift Sparrow and Moonbow.

1 hour ago, GinRei said:

And I feel Cancel Affinity falls into the same range as off-color for TA users.  Why would you fight them?

Because all of your other other units are either neutral or have disadvantage and Nowi has the greatest bulk to handle it. Just like bows, someone has to handle it even if no one on your team has weapon triangle advantage.

@Ice Dragon @DehNutCase @XRay @MrSmokestack

For a -Spd+Res Seigbert, would it be better to replace his Death Blow for Fury 3 to make up for the loss in Speed or is Death Blow still the best option?  I plan to run with Hone Cavalry on the team, if that makes a difference.

14 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

@Rezzy Fury is better in this situation, yeah. It nets the same amount of KO's as Death Blow at a glance, but he'll appreciate the added bulk. Life and Death master race though.

Thanks, just got to get him ready now.

I'm considering what to do with this extra Fjorm I managed to pull. She's -ATK, and I'm perfectly content just keeping my neutral one. I love the ATK/DEF bond skill however. I had originally planned to give it to Boey (once I got a +ATK copy that wasn't also -DEF...). I figure with the -owl tome, when I'm using him, he'll usually have someone beside him, so it'll synergize well. But now that I think about it, Lukas might like it.

He's one of those characters I'm planning to build at 5*+10. I've just had Fortress DEF on him for the time being. The ATK penalty doesn't bother him that much. But potentially getting +5 to both ATK and DEF would really help him out. Sure, it's situational, but he'd still have pretty solid ATK And DEF without it, and he'd be a monster with it.

What do you think?

5 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I'm so indecisive that I haven't used the Weapon Refinery for anything. If you refine a weapon, can you revert back to the previous version? I'm weighing the strengths of upgrading Merric's Excalibur.

You add the new weapon to the inventory, not replace the old one, so yes, you can.

36 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I'm so indecisive that I haven't used the Weapon Refinery for anything. If you refine a weapon, can you revert back to the previous version? I'm weighing the strengths of upgrading Merric's Excalibur.

You need to upgrade some of the standard (inheritable)I weapons you can work on the big guns, because you need divine dew for the personal Weapons. 

Could someone do some maths for me or tell me how to do them? I want to see the match up of 2-3 Subaki's builds against Black Night, since aside of BH!Lyn, he's the main problem my Flier Emblem team has to face (since including F!Robin wouldn't counter him as she does with BH!Lyn and Rein) and he'll probably be my next project.

However, I want to see some numbers first. I want to compare a Subaki with neutral Atk and Neutral def (worst scenario, as I won't promote a -Atk or -Def one) with: Sapphire Lance +, Steady Stance or Armored Blow (here's my main question), Quick Riposte and Bonfire against Black Night (Black Luna charged if possible), Steady Stance (+6 Def, while Steady Breath is better, it gives +4 Def, and I'm looking worst scenarios) and Vantage. Neither Subaki or Black Night would have buffs or debuffs. 

I'd need to know both Player Phase and Enemy Phase calcs.

Thanks!

@Rafiel's Aria Fjorm is great for arena points though, so you could benefit more from merging her if she’s on your team this season.

This a difference of opinion, but I prefer Boey with a Raven Adept build since it’s less reliant on team support to do its job. Should you want to still use Owl tome though, it might be better to wait for another unit that has Atk/Def bond that isn’t limited. Fierce Stance and Steady Stance are alternatives, but they’re also rare skills.