"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

58 minutes ago, XRay said:

Glacies takes too long to charge. Glimmer works best with effective Weapons and/or Triangle Adept. I would just hold off on giving her a Special since she generally should not be facing combat.

I would give Dancers/Singers all Hone Attack first. Attack Tactic is nice but it limits your team composition a bit in Arena Assault, so unless the Dancer/Singer is part of a permanent team, I would just go with Hone Attack so you know it always works.

I do not recommend Atk Smoke. Buffing your allies is generally easier to achieve than debuffing enemies, and Dancers/Singers generally should not be entering into combat.

thanks much! :) 

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Usana said:

@Mercakete When trying to lure out the GHB units I always use one of the trio. That said it seems to be working less well lately. Possibly because of their refines and the fact that I have 5*'ed them. However, since they worked quite well at 4* I would say any 4* level 40 unmerged GEN 1 BST Melee Infantry with a 'basic' kit(nothing too expensive) should flush one out reasonable quick. I don't like building these guys up so I quite like the ability to quad team a weaponless one for the kill. A low attack Pain user like Azama + a dedicated buffer and debuffer can let them take down themselves with almost no build. I have done it with level 1s at times. This time though some levels were needed. He has too much res to kill himself even with help if he doesn't have some experience(I sharded mine to level 30 and had some room to spare).

Thanks. It's nice not to have to use the unit him/herself. I'm just going for extra free copies since I'm not ready to build yet, but I want the raw materials ready. :) Kana was a different case since I already build him up. As soon as I get more grails, he'll be +5~ It was a little hard to keep up since I'm not entire sure who falls into which "gen" (and I know little to nothing about BST -- all that goes over my head) but I can probably safely use someone who was available at launch, so I think I'm okay...

8 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Thanks. It's nice not to have to use the unit him/herself. I'm just going for extra free copies since I'm not ready to build yet, but I want the raw materials ready. :) Kana was a different case since I already build him up. As soon as I get more grails, he'll be +5~ It was a little hard to keep up since I'm not entire sure who falls into which "gen" (and I know little to nothing about BST -- all that goes over my head) but I can probably safely use someone who was available at launch, so I think I'm okay...

Yup, Launch unit would be Gen 1 alright. I am not sure how important that part actually is. I just know that my higher BST units tend to attract bigger targets.

Personally when doing this I am willing to do several battles. Sometimes I run into the unit 2 or 3 matches into a run. I don't like doing AA and this serves as a kind of 'token' AA effort for me so I at least get some stones and coins. That said I will usually restart until I see one in the first match just to make sure I have a unit luring out the right units. Also pro tip. This also lets you preview the field before fielding your guy. I once had a time where I thought I was going to fight a level 40 and only later realized it was a level 39. I think this was when doing Arvis. So do check the foe's level. Kinda sucks to realize that just as you are about to kill him.

5 hours ago, XRay said:

Every unit is usable in Arena Assault, and if you are lacking in green mage counters, any Saber with special Refined Golden Dagger can fill that role. If you do not care about Saber or Arena Assault, then fodder him off. I still recommend saving one of each unit, but sword units are a dime a dozen, so I do not think there is any detriment to send home a few sword units you rarely use.

For Soleil, make sure she got enough Spd to double for the mode you plan to use her in. Heavy Blade is nice, but it is kind of a waste if she cannot double frequently enough to make use of increasing Special charging speed. Alternatively, you can give her Flashing Blade if it is not in use already and save Heavy Blade for your fliers and cavalry; Soleil is not the fastest, but she will need to double to make full use of either skill anyways, so you might as well stick a more restrictive skill on her so her teammates have easier access to the less restrictive skill.

If I built -Spd Saber, it’d be with the next breath skill I pull and QR. Breath skills turn getting doubled into special charges.

Even +Spd and with Spd refine, Soleil only hits 40 Spd. Good, but not amazing. That’s why I’m leaning Heavy for her.

2 hours ago, Chrom-ulent said:

Even +Spd and with Spd refine, Soleil only hits 40 Spd. Good, but not amazing. That’s why I’m leaning Heavy for her.

Soleil can run Life and Death and Speed +3 Sacred Seal to boost her Spd further, not to mention buffs from teammates. She also got Darting Blow in her vanilla kit.

Flashing Blade has an advantage over Heavy Blade against higher Atk but lower Spd enemies. However, against lower Atk but higher Spd enemies, while Heavy Blade does increase Special charge rate, Soleil cannot take advantage of it since she cannot double the opponent, or worse, being doubled in the same round and die. Since she cannot utilize Flashing Blade effectively in the latter situation against higher Spd enemies, she might as well just run Flashing Blade in my opinion and make Heavy Blade available to others.

If you want the numbers, Heavy Blade and Flashing Blade both perform the same with an offensive stat boosting A skill, but if you are planning to run Distant Counter or something, Flashing Blade is superior.

Flashing Blade
Player Phase [Hard List +10] 41:119:62

Heavy Blade
Player Phase [Hard List +10] 39:119:64

Spoiler

CHALLENGER LIST  
Soleil (5* +atk)  
Weapon: Slaying Edge+  
Special: Luna  
C: Drive Res 2  
S: Flashing Blade 3  
Upgrade Path: 1  

Soleil (5* +atk)  
Weapon: Slaying Edge+  
Special: Luna  
C: Drive Res 2  
S: Heavy Blade 3  
Upgrade Path: 1 

Edited by XRay

So im trying to think of a high investment build. I want it to be a blue unit. Was thinking Nowi or Lukas.

Lukas:

swap

ignis

berkuts lance+ res

distant counter/distant def

Quick riposte 3/wary fighter 3

This is really flexible i fine, res tactic 3, threaten spd 3, infantry pulse 3 or odd res wave 3.

nowi:

glimmer/aether

reposition

lightning breath+ Atk or spd

Fury 3/fierce stance 3

guard 3/vantage 3

panic ploy 3

any suggestions? What are some other good blue units?

56 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

So im trying to think of a high investment build. I want it to be a blue unit. Was thinking Nowi or Lukas.

Lukas:

swap

ignis

berkuts lance+ res

This is really flexible i fine, res tactic 3, threaten spd 3, infantry pulse 3 or odd res wave 3.

nowi:

glimmer/aether

reposition

Fury 3/fierce stance 3

guard 3/vantage 3

panic ploy 3

any suggestions? What are some other good blue units?

The Lukas build looks quite nice, I've always wanted to try a max res build on him, but I have so many blues already... Odd res wave 3 sounds like the best C skill for that build unless you really need the team support from the others you mentioned. Nowi can also work quite well as a mixed tank. I have a +res/-spd +10 Nowi and she is definitely my go-to tank. I have her build on the 5*+10 compendium thread if you want to check it out.

If you wanted a more mobile blue tank, you can try out Florina. I just finished a +10 of her as a mixed tank and she got a pretty neat refine that boosted her effectiveness as an enemy phase unit, especially in high scoring arena with all the armored units. While the flier status hurts a bit against archers, you can always run Iote's shield as her seal. She does very well against dragons thanks to her high res and with +def and a +def weapon refine, she can get up to 37 def at +10. Her attack is a tad bit on the low side (47) with Berkut's Lance, but it adds more bulk onto her. 

1 hour ago, Zihark11 said:

Infantry units cannot learn Wary Fighter.

I personally prefer the Def or Res refine. Spd is only really useful if you're going absolutely all-in.

guard 3/vantage 3

If you're running one of these skills, you definitely want Quick Riposte in the Sacred Seal slot. Quick Riposte is pretty much a must for any enemy-phase unit.

11 hours ago, Usana said:

Yup, Launch unit would be Gen 1 alright. I am not sure how important that part actually is. I just know that my higher BST units tend to attract bigger targets.

Personally when doing this I am willing to do several battles. Sometimes I run into the unit 2 or 3 matches into a run. I don't like doing AA and this serves as a kind of 'token' AA effort for me so I at least get some stones and coins. That said I will usually restart until I see one in the first match just to make sure I have a unit luring out the right units. Also pro tip. This also lets you preview the field before fielding your guy. I once had a time where I thought I was going to fight a level 40 and only later realized it was a level 39. I think this was when doing Arvis. So do check the foe's level. Kinda sucks to realize that just as you are about to kill him.

Yeah, I'm with you on the AA thing. I just don't have enough built units to really take advantage of it, so being able to get some AA quests done at the same time is nice. Wound up using Jeigan, which worked really well. Thanks for the help!

6 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Infantry units cannot learn Wary Fighter.

I personally prefer the Def or Res refine. Spd is only really useful if you're going absolutely all-in.

If you're running one of these skills, you definitely want Quick Riposte in the Sacred Seal slot. Quick Riposte is pretty much a must for any enemy-phase unit.

Yeah quick riposte is the best choice for the seal most likely. Had no idea about wary fighter thanks. I was thinking res up then. 

6 hours ago, Maaka said:

The Lukas build looks quite nice, I've always wanted to try a max res build on him, but I have so many blues already... Odd res wave 3 sounds like the best C skill for that build unless you really need the team support from the others you mentioned. Nowi can also work quite well as a mixed tank. I have a +res/-spd +10 Nowi and she is definitely my go-to tank. I have her build on the 5*+10 compendium thread if you want to check it out.

If you wanted a more mobile blue tank, you can try out Florina. I just finished a +10 of her as a mixed tank and she got a pretty neat refine that boosted her effectiveness as an enemy phase unit, especially in high scoring arena with all the armored units. While the flier status hurts a bit against archers, you can always run Iote's shield as her seal. She does very well against dragons thanks to her high res and with +def and a +def weapon refine, she can get up to 37 def at +10. Her attack is a tad bit on the low side (47) with Berkut's Lance, but it adds more bulk onto her. 

Florina eh? Stats aside never really liked the character lol. I have like 5 Lukas so i could get a good start on the merging. And yeah i wanted to try him as a magic counter. I find all my blue units kinda suck lol except Ophelia. I shouldnt say they all suck they just require support. They cant tank hits like my sigurd or ike (urvan). 

7 hours ago, Zihark11 said:

Lukas:

swap

ignis

berkuts lance+ res

I do not recommend Distant Def. In my opinion, a tank generally should not be tanking things it cannot counter attack against.

I would also switch Ignis for Bonfire. You want to be able to activate a Special during every round of combat. Ignis takes too long to charge unless you are running Slaying Lance or Breaths to charge Specials faster.

Distant Counter:

Spoiler

Berkut's Lance [Res]
Bonfire
Distant Counter
Quick Riposte — Guard
Distant Def — Quick Riposte

Lukas is too slow to avoid doubles, so he either needs to shut down enemy Specials or increase his Res to the point where he can tank enemy Specials. His Res is still pretty crap, so watch out for Blárblade mages since they can easily overpower Lukas.

— — — — — — —

+Atk
Slaying Lance [Atk]
Moonbow
Distant Counter
Wrath*
Attack +3

Instead of turning the other cheek like the above builds, this Lukas will smack mages back with an immediate Moonbow. Dead mages cannot double Lukas.

*If you are running Wrath, you do not need +Atk, Atk Refinement, or Attack +3.

Melee:

Spoiler

Reprisal Lance [Def/Res]
Ignis
Steady Breath — Warding Breath
Quick Riposte
Close Def

— — — — — — —

Slaying Lance [Def/Res]
Ignis
Fury — Fortress Def/Res
Quick Riposte
Close Def

7 hours ago, Zihark11 said:

nowi:

glimmer/aether

reposition

Fury 3/fierce stance 3

guard 3/vantage 3

panic ploy 3

Glimmer is used with Blade tomes, effective Weapons, Gem Weapons, and/or Triangle Adept. If the unit is not using these skills, Moonbow is better.

Unless you are going for one shot builds or have something to prevent enemy doubles, Atk Refinement and Fierce Stance are generally pretty bad and they should be avoided.

Spd Tank: This performs better in lower Arena tiers where performance and Spd matters more. Once you are around Tier 19.5, Spd tanks start to become less useful since fast enemies are less common, and when they do appear, they often run SP builds instead of performance builds so they are not as fast as they used to be.

Spoiler

+Spd
Lightning Breath [Spd]
Moonbow
Atk/Spd Bond — Kestrel Stance — Fury
Quick Riposte
Darting Stance

or

+Spd
Lightning Breath [Spd]
Bonfire — Blue Flame
Quick Riposte
Darting Stance

Def/Res Tank:

Spoiler

Lightning Breath [Def/Res]
Ignis — Aether
Quick Riposte — Guard
Close Def — Quick Riposte

4 hours ago, Syllabear said:

Who's gonna be the next Arena bonus unit? Is it Fjorm? Correct me if I'm wrong, next is Fjorm > Alfonse > Sharena > Anna.

Yes, that is the correct order.

so question. I got a Free F!Kana this morning. (yay)
but she's -spd/+res (sigh). and I already have one at 
+hp/-def. 

so. Merging my lv 40 i get +1 HP and Atk (which yay). but since it's not ideal...

do i sacrifice the the free unit for Goad Dragons instead? what would y'all do?

(happy i got a free 5* but... wish you were M!Grima not even gonna lie haha)

11 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

+hp/-def. 

so. Merging my lv 40 i get +1 HP and Atk (which yay). but since it's not ideal...

Unless you plan to +10 her in the future, I would hold onto her for skill fodder. She can actually give another dragon unit water breath+ and goad dragons as long as you inherit spur atk 2 or spur spd 2 from someone else first. You never know when you might need the skills, so sometimes it could be a mistake to just merge a random 5* for +1. Since we no longer have a barracks space issue, there is no rush to get rid of units.

2 minutes ago, Maaka said:

Unless you plan to +10 her in the future, I would hold onto her for skill fodder. She can actually give another dragon unit water breath+ and goad dragons as long as you inherit spur atk 2 or spur spd 2 from someone else first. You never know when you might need the skills, so sometimes it could be a mistake to just merge a random 5* for +1. Since we no longer have a barracks space issue, there is no rush to get rid of units.

this is why i ask :)
Thanks!

6 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

+hp/-def. 

I would not worry too much about what stats you gain from merging and just merge if you like the unit.

I personally would not use Goad Dragon. If you are using an Enemy Phase Distant Counter dragon team, I think you would want to use Ward Dragon over any other buffs, similar to armor teams. While Goads ensure that you hit harder per hit and maybe avoid doubles, Wards reduces enemy damage per hit and I find that to be generally more useful since dragons who want to avoid doubles can already do so by themselves with their build.

I think the only other dragon buff that might be useful is Hone Dragon for high Spd dragons utilizing Player Phase builds, but I personally prefer Enemy Phase Distant Counter builds for all my dragons since they target the weaker of Def or Res against ranged units as well as easy access to Lightning Breath

The only skill maybe worth foddering is Water Breath on F!Kana, but I personally find Lightning Breath-Steady Breath/Warding Breath generally to be a better combo compared to Water Breath-Distant Counter. I find the extra "Atk" from activating a higher cool down Special via Steady Breath/Warding Breath to be much more important than having an extra +4 to one of your defensive stat. Water Breath is superior to Lightning Breath in an Enemy Phase pure melee build, but pure melee builds feel kind of a waste of their strength against ranged units.

57 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

+hp/-def. 

I would not worry too much about what stats you gain from merging and just merge if you like the unit.

I personally would not use Goad Dragon. If you are using an Enemy Phase Distant Counter dragon team, I think you would want to use Ward Dragon over any other buffs, similar to armor teams. While Goads ensure that you hit harder per hit and maybe avoid doubles, Wards reduces enemy damage per hit and I find that to be generally more useful since dragons who want to avoid doubles can already do so by themselves with their build.

I think the only other dragon buff that might be useful is Hone Dragon for high Spd dragons utilizing Player Phase builds, but I personally prefer Enemy Phase Distant Counter builds for all my dragons since they target the weaker of Def or Res against ranged units as well as easy access to Lightning Breath

The only skill maybe worth foddering is Water Breath on F!Kana, but I personally find Lightning Breath-Steady Breath/Warding Breath generally to be a better combo compared to Water Breath-Distant Counter. I find the extra "Atk" from activating a higher cool down Special via Steady Breath/Warding Breath to be much more important than having an extra +4 to one of your defensive stat. Water Breath is superior to Lightning Breath in an Enemy Phase pure melee build, but pure melee builds feel kind of a waste of their strength against ranged units in my opinion.

Edited by XRay

1 minute ago, XRay said:

The only skill maybe worth foddering is Water Breath on F!Kana, but I personally find Lightning Breath-Steady Breath/Warding Breath generally to be a better combo compared to Water Breath-Distant Counter. I find the extra "Atk" from activating a higher cool down Special via Steady Breath/Warding Breath to be much more important than having an extra +4 to one of your defensive stat. Water Breath is superior to Lightning Breath in an Enemy Phase pure melee build, but pure melee builds feel kind of a waste of their strength against ranged units.

thanks Xray :)
and this is also true. (I mean generally i just stuffed all my merges together because i figured having the extra (whatever) at the end of the day is what i need (if i like the unit). :) i just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing anything. and that's the thing too. I didn't really see any builds that needed "Goad" (which i guess will be beneficial in certain circumstances) and I don't have M!Grima... yet.... 

i'll keep this in mind like all of your other advice! thanks for being so helpful!

Ok a question to you guys...Would the debuff of Aversa weapon stack with the debuff of Spring Sharena Weapon or the atk/res just goes to -5?

Aversa: Grants Res+3. At start of turn, if any foe's HP ≤ unit’s HP-3 and that foe is adjacent to another foe, inflicts Atk/Spd/Def/Res-3 on that foe and bonuses on that foe become penalties through its next action.

S.Sharena: Grants Res+3. At start of turn, if unit's HP ≥ 50%, inflicts Atk/Res-5 on foe on the enemy team with the lowest Spd through its next action.

5 minutes ago, Eilanzer said:

Ok a question to you guys...Would the debuff of Aversa weapon stack with the debuff of Spring Sharena Weapon or the atk/res just goes to -5?

Aversa: Grants Res+3. At start of turn, if any foe's HP ≤ unit’s HP-3 and that foe is adjacent to another foe, inflicts Atk/Spd/Def/Res-3 on that foe and bonuses on that foe become penalties through its next action.

S.Sharena: Grants Res+3. At start of turn, if unit's HP ≥ 50%, inflicts Atk/Res-5 on foe on the enemy team with the lowest Spd through its next action.

I haven't promoted Aversa, but I tried Shabuna with a Threaten Atk unit and it doesn't stack.

@Eilanzer Just in case you, or others, are not aware, keep in mind that Aversa’s night also causes a panic effect, so if the unit that is affected by her weapon has a buff on them from something, such as a hone or fortify skill, those buffs are reversed, but remain classified as buffs, so they will stack with the -3 debuff. 

So, say a Reinhardt has +6 atk and +6 speed buffs from hone cavalry. After aversas night activates, he will have a -6 atk and -6 speed buff and a -3 atk/spd/def/res debuff for a total of -9 atk/spd and -3 def/res. 

2 hours ago, Eilanzer said:

@Maaka so panic debuffs count like a buff so that stack with debuff... O_o that´s kind of broken...

You can think of Panic as a lens that gets placed between the screen and the stats. The buffs are still buffs in the background, but are reversed when seen through the lens.

Panic doesn't actually change the buff itself in any way. It simply makes both the buff and debuff slots count as negative.

Also as a note, Panicked buffs do not count towards Blizzard's effects because they are still bonuses, not penalties. Panicked buffs also don't count towards or against Litrblade, Laevatein, Lysol, etc.