"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

31 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

Looking for some advice on which Bector to use. I've been using a +Res/-HP one but summoned a +HP/-Spd one just now. Due to his slow speed, does his bulk appreciate +HP or +Res more?

Still a bit unsure about merging him when Bold Fighter is rare for me, but if I could narrow it down to the better boon if I do decide to merge, it would really help.

[+Res, -HP] and [+HP, -Spd] got the same one hit magical bulk, but +Res got better two hit magical bulk. +HP got better physical bulk.

[+Res, -HP]:
Same one hit magical bulk.
Better two/quad hit magical bulk.
Worse one hit physical bulk.
Worse two/quad hit physical bulk.

[+HP, -Spd]:
Same one hit magical bulk.
Worse two/quad hit magical bulk.
Better one hit physical bulk.
Better two/quad hit physical bulk.

If he often needs to face Reinhardt, +Res is probably a bit better. Otherwise, I lean a bit more towards +HP. +HP also got a better Flaw. If you merge though, then +Res is better in my opinion as the base.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, mcsilas said:

Looking for some advice on which Bector to use. I've been using a +Res/-HP one but summoned a +HP/-Spd one just now. Due to his slow speed, does his bulk appreciate +HP or +Res more?

Still a bit unsure about merging him when Bold Fighter is rare for me, but if I could narrow it down to the better boon if I do decide to merge, it would really help.

Definitely merge into +Res base. Hector isn't worth foddering off if you don't have a ranged armor.

1 hour ago, MrSmokestack said:

@Zihark11 What mode is this for, and who are his teammates?

I just use my main team for everything. Female corrin (Dark breath), Soren (Wind brand) and Nephenee (Dauntless lance)

47 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Aether kind of defeats the entire purpose of running a Wrath build.

Not really for chain challenges/tempest trials/GHB. For Arena and Aether raids i agree.

9 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

I just use my main team for everything. Female corrin (Dark breath), Soren (Wind brand) and Nephenee (Dauntless lance)

For PvE content like CCs and Abyssals, there's no right or wrong answer when it comes to building. In competitive modes, neither build is going to be very useful.

Rutger has absolutely no niche in AR. For tanking and Galeforce strategies there are much better options. In Arena, you want support skills like Rallies and Drives for the bonus unit, and your highest-scoring skills in the other slots.

For PvE, I'd prefer the double Bond build I suppose.

58 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Aether kind of defeats the entire purpose of running a Wrath build.

I disagree. You can take advantage of the Wo Dao effect so long as your HP drops below a threshold. For Chain Challenges I used a Soleil with Slaying Edge supported by Infantry Pulse for consistent tanking. Granted, I used Sol for the special so she'd always counter with it on the first combat.

Edited by MrSmokestack

2 hours ago, Zihark11 said:

For Arena Assault Team 1 or just Arena Assault in general, I think the first build is fine as is.

For Allegiance Battle, I think the second build is better due to Atk/Def Solo, but I would run double Renewal instead for sustainability. Wrath and Brazens give higher damage output, but I do not think it is going to work too well in Allegiance Battles since enemies rarely have performance optimized skill sets, so green enemies may have a hard time dealing enough damage to him to activate those skills. Rutger might also have enough Spd to double and kill a lot of green enemies, so Wrath might not be necessary. You can have Rutger fight red enemies to get his HP down more effectively for Wrath, but you also run the risk of accidentally killing said red enemies and lowering your score.

For Arena, he is not supposed to kill stuff, so I would replace those C skills and Sacred Seals to be something more suitable.

For Aether Raids, I do not think either builds are practical. Blue Flame and Aether are generally awful for performance. 43 Spd is too low for nuking and Spd tanking. Aversa and Sabotage enemies heavily punish players who utilize adjacency requirements, and they appear relatively often, so the first build is really unreliable unless you switch the stat boost skills to Stances. Without Desperation, the second build has no sustainability as a Player Phase unit, and Brazens do not work well with most Enemy Phase setups.

Edited by XRay

3 hours ago, Zihark11 said:

Not really for chain challenges/tempest trials/GHB. For Arena and Aether raids i agree.

3 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

I disagree. You can take advantage of the Wo Dao effect so long as your HP drops below a threshold. For Chain Challenges I used a Soleil with Slaying Edge supported by Infantry Pulse for consistent tanking. Granted, I used Sol for the special so she'd always counter with it on the first combat.

Aether has a very long cooldown, even with Slaying Edge equipped. That means that both of Wrath's effects end up being wasted. If you were looking for damage output, any 2-cooldown or 3-cooldown skill is better than Aether for the job because you get the +10 damage to activate more than twice as often. If you want sustain, you want Noontime or Sol, which, again, activates more than twice as often. And if you're running a game mode with multiple maps, a dedicated healer is far more practical than self-sustain.

3 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Which special does Grima appreciate more Ignus or Dragon Fang?

I personally run Aether for sustain and it works well enough for what I use him for

24 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Which special does Grima appreciate more Ignus or Dragon Fang?

Both can be calculated based on your own unit's stats. For example, a neutral Grima +0 with default skills has 56 attack and 35 defense. Therefore, Dragon Fang does 50% of 56 = 28 damage, and Ignis does 80% of 35 = 28 damage. So, uh, it's a draw in this scenario.

Of course, the actual outcome will be modified by buffs, skills, seals, etc. In a team with lots of Ward buffs, Ignis will pull ahead. In a team with Hones and Goads, the opposite happens. Fury helps Ignis more since you get 2 damage instead of 1 from it with Dragon Fang. Small stuff like that.

Alright thanks for the input (also nice to see you after a while @MrSmokestack!)

Hmm just another question with AR now that we have Naga, this means I have to actually start handing out Astra blessings a little bit more. Maybe @Johann can have input?

I find my AR offense team really likes having a green enemy phase unit. I used Cecilia for Light weeks but not that Picnic Leo is here, I was wondering if he should be Astra-blessed or Light-blessed. Does he like Eir's Res boost more or Naga's Def boost? (Alternatively, will Cecilia fare better switching to Naga Astra weeks with a slight Def boost?)

For reference, right now I'm running a Light-blessed 4 star Cecilia with TA3 and Bowbreaker with Distant Def. I've been meaning to upgrade her sometime, so I'll probably promote my +Atk or +Spd copy soon and do this properly. Slightly leaning to +Atk just to try and one shot things faster but is it worth switching her over to Naga weeks for the +Def? Or just stay with Eir's +Res buffs?

Leo on the other hand has Gronnraven+ with his native DD3 and QR (and DD seal as a possibility for the weeks I don't use Cecilia). He has slightly higher Def than Cecilia, should I partner him with Naga to really enhance his Def since he has no Bowbreaker? Or should I balance out his Res with Eir's buffs for the nasty Ophelias? Is double Distant Def good enough that he doesn't need TA3?

Also it sucks Naga's the same move type as L!Azura 😞

About Katarina's PRF weapon, it's called Reese's Tome in English but does anyone know or have guesses as to why they chose Reese?

Edited by Flying Shogi

18 minutes ago, Flying Shogi said:

About Katarina's PRF weapon, it's called Reese's Tome in English but does anyone know or have guesses as to why they chose Reese?

Katarina is her alias, but Reese is her real name. Similar to how "Marth" Lucina is named Marth, but her real name is Lucina.

1 hour ago, mcsilas said:

Hmm just another question with AR now that we have Naga, this means I have to actually start handing out Astra blessings a little bit more. Maybe @Johann can have input?

I find my AR offense team really likes having a green enemy phase unit. I used Cecilia for Light weeks but not that Picnic Leo is here, I was wondering if he should be Astra-blessed or Light-blessed. Does he like Eir's Res boost more or Naga's Def boost? (Alternatively, will Cecilia fare better switching to Naga Astra weeks with a slight Def boost?)

For reference, right now I'm running a Light-blessed 4 star Cecilia with TA3 and Bowbreaker with Distant Def. I've been meaning to upgrade her sometime, so I'll probably promote my +Atk or +Spd copy soon and do this properly. Slightly leaning to +Atk just to try and one shot things faster but is it worth switching her over to Naga weeks for the +Def? Or just stay with Eir's +Res buffs?

Leo on the other hand has Gronnraven+ with his native DD3 and QR (and DD seal as a possibility for the weeks I don't use Cecilia). He has slightly higher Def than Cecilia, should I partner him with Naga to really enhance his Def since he has no Bowbreaker? Or should I balance out his Res with Eir's buffs for the nasty Ophelias? Is double Distant Def good enough that he doesn't need TA3?

Also it sucks Naga's the same move type as L!Azura 😞

Ultimately it depends on whether or not you're using Raventome and TA, and whether or not your foe is debuffed or buffed.

• Generally speaking, around 30 for either Res or Def is fine if you're using Raven+TA, or high 30's/low 40's for Raven without TA. Considering saving your Distant Def 3 seal for a super tank or something.
  • Leo comes with strong Def and Res to begin with, and would work fine with either Blessing. 
  • Cecilia's Def being lower makes her a little less suited against bows in Light season, while Naga's Def boost helps her out a bit. Buffs can resolve her Def issues too, of course. This doesn't make Light a bad choice for her though. Merges or +Def also help but aren't necessary.
  • Most foes are trivialized if you're hitting them with debuffs, especially Panic + Atk Smoke. Panic's not usually an option without Aversa though, but Atk Smoke is a good C choice for anyone tanking multiple foes.

Bottom line is both are fine for either blessing, whether against archers (including Alm and Lucina), healers, and Reinhardt. Ophelia is a different matter since Blazing specials ignore the triangle and in-combat buffs, so you might find them reduced to single digits outside of Light season, though with the Res and Atk to reliably take 0 after the special and counter kill.

Edited by Johann

5 hours ago, XRay said:

Katarina is her alias, but Reese is her real name. Similar to how "Marth" Lucina is named Marth, but her real name is Lucina.

Yes, I'm aware that Katarina is an alias. I'm curious as to why they went with Reese over any other name. For all I know, they could have just picked a name out of a hat.

Edited by Flying Shogi

1 hour ago, Flying Shogi said:

31 minutes ago, Flying Shogi said:

Yes, I'm aware that Katarina is an alias. I'm curious as to why they went with Reese over any other name. For all I know, that they could have just picked a name out of a hat.

I did find this line on the page for Reese's Tome on Fire Emblem Wiki on the subject of the English name for the tome:

As of Fire Emblem Heroes. Likely changed to "Reese's" Tome from "Katarina's" due to space limitations.

Because the japanese name for the tome is indeed "Katarina's Tome" when translated (if the wikis are accurate), as it was officially named in the original New Mystery of the Emblem.

Personally, I'm not sure about the above reason, but it's worth remembering that official english translations for FE weapons are sometimes utter bullshit. For example, Hinoka has a Naginata, not a goddamn spear. I also learned recently that the FE: Fates Rod (Hoshidan staves) named Purification Rod is actually named after Azama in Japanese, which was lost in translation. And let us not forget the stupid names for the Fates S Rank weapons... hm, actually maybe I should find some examples from not-Fates...

Minor funfact, fan translations called the tome "Hellfire" for some reason.

@Xenomata Now that you mention the character limit, I do remember someone pointing that out when her PRF was released.

It's a bit unfortunate but I can't blame the localization team for keeping the PRF names simple. My go-to example is Cherche's Axe. Her axe is called セルジュの恐斧(Serge no kyoufu or Cherche's terrifying/frightening axe) because apparently her scary side is something to be feared so her axe is a play on words of 恐怖 (kyoufu: fear; dread; dismay; terror; horror; scare; panic), which explains why the refine is Panic Ploy.

Edited by Flying Shogi

12 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Aether has a very long cooldown, even with Slaying Edge equipped. That means that both of Wrath's effects end up being wasted. If you were looking for damage output, any 2-cooldown or 3-cooldown skill is better than Aether for the job because you get the +10 damage to activate more than twice as often. If you want sustain, you want Noontime or Sol, which, again, activates more than twice as often. And if you're running a game mode with multiple maps, a dedicated healer is far more practical than self-sustain.

Yeah, I agree with all this. I thought you were referring to healing specials with Wrath in general. My mistake.

Now for a question of my own.

Since I can finally start scoring optimally in AR, I’ve decided to start taking the mode more seriously this season. My resources are split between my Arena core and AR offense at the moment, so I don’t want to break the bank on my Astra season team if I can help it.

This is the team I’m currently using:

Spoiler

ZqaVSMD.jpg

dyejWJP.jpg

eGUiX8f.jpg

1kqXmRw.jpg

09Vp6Jn.jpg

The strategy itself is simple. Jamke ends turn and procs Vantage for kills.

I still need to Summoner Support Jamke to S and finish his Ally Support with Corrin for extra stats.

I’m unsure whether I should merge him with grails and/or use Dragonflowers. I’d like to use grails for summoning fodder instead, and I want red flowers for finishing another project.

I think the two big questions I have are: How else can I improve the team, and who should I replace with the bonus unit? The only one I have is Astra-blessed Anna.

1 hour ago, Flying Shogi said:

Yes, I'm aware that Katarina is an alias. I'm curious as to why they went with Reese over any other name. For all I know, that they could have just picked a name out of a hat.

In Japanese, Katarina's real name is Eine, which coincidence or not matches up with Clarisse's Japanese name of Kleine. I assume the localization team took notice and did the same with the English names, chopping off the beginning of Clarisse's name to get "Reese" for Katarina's real name.

9 minutes ago, Flying Shogi said:

Now that you mention the character limit, I do remember someone pointing that out when her PRF was released.

I highly doubt it's a character limit so much as it's a horizontal space limit in the UI. It's no longer the 1990's. Character limits are really only a thing for player-generated text nowadays (or if you're using fixed-width font for whatever reason).

4 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

In Japanese, Katarina's real name is Eine, which coincidence or not matches up with Clarisse's Japanese name of Kleine. I assume the localization team took notice and did the same with the English names, chopping off the beginning of Clarisse's name to get "Reese" for Katarina's real name.

I think I just found out the reason behind their names. アイネ・クライネ・ナハトムジーク or 

Eine kleine Nachtmusik (Serenade No. 13 for strings in G major), K. 525, is a 1787 composition for a chamber ensemble by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. The German title means "a little serenade," though it is often rendered more literally but less accurately as "a little night music." The work is written for an ensemble of two violins, viola, and cello with optional double bass, but is often performed by string orchestras.

Wikipedia

I forget where I read this but I remember someone pointing out that Clarisse's Japanese name could be read as 暗いね, which now that I think about it, could be referring to the translated name of this piece to allude to how assassin groups move covertly while also expressing how she feels about being brought up as orphans with Katarina.

I'm guessing someone on FE12's development team was a fan of Mozart.

Edited by Flying Shogi

Bumping my previous question since I've made some changes to my team. This is what it looks like now:

Spoiler

uU7cEEb.jpg

lrDsT3u.jpg

z6oZwnt.jpg

9XieEPI.jpg

oNkqAnr.jpg

FrOvPbg.jpg

I have a sixth unit here because Leanne and Corrin are on separate teams. Double Naga, Jamke, and Anna are on both teams.

Jamke is now merged to +2, +3 Dragonflowers, Summoner Support S, and Ally Support S with Corrin.

Is there anything else I should do to improve both offense teams?

So, earlier this week I pulled a Naga who is +res -HP. All I need is one Naga, since I'm not heavily invested in AR, and I doubt I'll get another one anyway. With this +res -HP nature, would distant counter be worthwhile on her?

19 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

So, earlier this week I pulled a Naga who is +res -HP. All I need is one Naga, since I'm not heavily invested in AR, and I doubt I'll get another one anyway. With this +res -HP nature, would distant counter be worthwhile on her?

As a rule of thumb, I avoid giving premium skills to unmerged units. In your case, if you’re not invested very much into AR I’d also pass on giving her DC.

Naga herself isn’t good in a tanking role even at higher levels of investment. An unmerged one certainly won’t do much either.