Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

Fought a half-assed armoured team of Sheena, Hector, and Zephiel herded by Sharena worth 690.

Half-assed because none of those except Hector had Distant Counter. It also was a parallel walls map, so that contributed to the fish-shooting.

Soren blew Sharena away first, then everything fell apart, Reinhardt zapped Zephiel, and Lilina blew first Sheena up, then Hector (both with a Rally by Sharena).

I want more such teams.

Where my defence wins at? Worried now.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Improved my score to 4814 after fishing for better opponents, which currently ranks me at 1811 in tier 17. I was already pretty sure my last score would let me promote, but this should completly seal the deal. Team used was Reinhard, Ryoma, Hector and Sharena.

The last two weeks of arena were pretty boring for me, as I was sure to demote last week, and sure to promote this week. Fighting to promote next week will probably be more intresting. I really hope I can keep jumping between tier 18 and 19 for those 4 orbs a week, but we'll see how things go.

Managed to get my score up to 4750 which gives me a rank of 9193. That MIGHT be enough to get me to Tier 18. I doubt I'll be able to get much higher than that...not without grinding SP to get Xander Vantage 2 and 3 and Olivia a special of some sort. But right now, Arena isn't a super priority. I'd rather ride next season out (probably demote back to tier 17) and prepare for the season after that. Camus will be ready!!!!

I did get another defense win though. I switched back to my cav team just for funsies. The team I beat actually had a Henry set as their lead. Very, very interesting indeed.

Currently in Tier 18. Scores per battle range from 690-700. 7-win deathless streak score ranges from 4830-4900.

Offense score is 4864. Defense score is 584. 8 total. I'm ready for my 5,400 feathers.

Blew my first 7 win streak yesterday by getting a death on the 7th battle. Would have had 4850 but it cost me 70 points. My score of 4780 was rank #50xx, and would have dropped me to Tier 17. Then I spent 2 crests and got a new personal best of 4864 which was rank #254 when I got it yesterday. It has only deteriorated to #280 since then so I am safely going to Tier 19 along with ~5071 other people.

Since there is no one in Tier 20 yet and everyone in Tier 19 is either going up or going down, that means that there will be roughly 5071 people in Tier 19 next week. And If I can match my current position within the Tier, I should be able to go up to Tier 20 in the following week.

Just got a perfect run in Tier 12. My score is 4754 and as of right now I'm rank 66. Still haven't gotten a defense score yet.

I thought I'd miss Robin when I replaced him this season with Caeda, but she did really well... with no skills except Chilling Wind. Anyway, my team was

Beruka Killer Axe+, Reposition, Ignis, Iote's Shield, Vantage 3, Threaten Def 3, HP +3.

+1 Bride Caeda Blessed Bouquet+, Chilling Wind.

Tharja Rauorblade+, Ardent Sacrifice, Moonbow, Darting Blow 3, Desperation 3, Threaten Spd 3, Attack +1.

Ninian Light Breath +, Dance, Escape Route 3, Fortify Def 3, Spur Def 1.

Tried swapping 4 star Olivia for 4 star Sharena for a better score since i'm currently being demoted to Tier 17.

Was going okay for first three battles. Even won against a flier emblem team with a scary Gronnblade +3 Spring Camilla (thank goodness Reinhardt has 3 move to escape the corner I almost trapped myself in).

4th battle ruined my streak though against a cavalry team in the two walls map. Of note was a +1 Camus with Desperation and Galeforce and a +3 Priscilla with the new staff skill that prevents counter attacks. There was also a Reinhart and Xander. Unfortunately Hector fell from an unexpected Priscilla snipe from the bottom while I was trying to bait Reinhardt, so trying to defeat 2 blues with no green was not fun. 

Was it @Hilda's team? The Camus and Xander had Heavy Blade...

Edited by mcsilas

22 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

I just fought a 4 hector team. Is that a serious team, or just some meme?

Its basically an "overrun your opponent so they run out of Red" squad so its a bit serious

Also a meme because losing to mono-Hector in 2017, but theres an actual rhyme and reason for it

So frustrated with the arena this week.  After my initial run where I had 2 deaths in the 7th match, literally every run after that gave me the worst possible matchup against my team in the 5th match.  Done trying, I'll just take the down rank, I don't know why I even cared when I likely wouldn't rank up to T19 even with a deathless run.

5 hours ago, Lemmy said:

I just fought a 4 hector team. Is that a serious team, or just some meme?

It's as serious as any other mono-color team, which basically works on the premise that it has 4 units that can wear down the 1 or 2 counters the opponent has. Add in the fact that Hector is a good unit in his own right and the fact that he has great synergy with himself due to Goad Armor, and that's a reasonably good defense team composition.

That doesn't stop it from also being a meme team, though.

I'm at 4,812 points, which places me at 2,063 in Tier 17. This was with Sharena, Cherche, Ike, and Azura. I had 3 defense wins, so I decided to see how my Horse Emblem team with Camus fared. They got 1 win so far. Onward, to Tier 18!

11 hours ago, Bartozio said:

Improved my score to 4814 after fishing for better opponents, which currently ranks me at 1811 in tier 17.

Just two more points than me!

12 minutes ago, Astellius said:

I'm at 4,812 points, which places me at 2,063 in Tier 17. This was with Sharena, Cherche, Ike, and Azura. I had 3 defense wins, so I decided to see how my Horse Emblem team with Camus fared. They got 1 win so far. Onward, to Tier 18!

Just two more points than me!

lol, pretty funny to see that 2 points means a difference of 100 ranks. I'm a bit jealous of you for already having Camus fully build though (or at least enough to put him on your defence team), so I guess that makes us even?

I'm really curious about what cut offs will be in tier 18 next week though. The only people there should be at that time should be the 14k ish people promoting from tier 17 and the few people coming down from tier 19. Considering my rank in tier 17 now, reaching tier 19 might not be a dream much longer! Tier 20 is going to take a bit longer though...

Arena Update~

My score of 4,810 is currently ranked 2,362 in Tier 18, which is quite a ways from the cutoff of 5,094 at the moment. Is Tier 19 possible?

Also, finally got my defense win for this week, worth 578 points.

EDIT: Current Team

Spoiler

Xander

Spoiler
  • Siegfried
  • Swap
  • Bonfire
  • Fury 3
  • Quick Riposte 2
  • Spur Def 3
  • HP +3

Nino (+Spd -Def)

Spoiler
  • Gronnblade+
  • Draw Back
  • Moonbow
  • Fury 3
  • Desperation 3
  • Hone Atk 3
  • Spd +1

Sharena

Spoiler
  • Fensalir
  • Rally Speed
  • Bonfire
  • Fury 3
  • Quick Riposte 2
  • Hone Atk 3
  • Fortify Res 1

Effie (+Def -Spd)

Spoiler
  • Silver Lance+
  • Pivot
  • Bonfire
  • Death Blow 3
  • Wary Fighter 3
  • Threaten Def 3
  • Atk +1

Since I've already done my deathless run for this week, I've been substituting Camus in place of Effie. Running Hone Cavalry instead of Spur Def on Xander while Camus runs Fortify Cavalry, and the two work incredibly well together.

Edited by MrSmokestack

Tier 17 Score of 4840 (1 surrender; no deaths; 688, 688, 692, 698,688,694, 692; Nowi +1, Sharena 5*, Eirika, Nino +2):

• May 31 12:00PM PT - #172 (/12 554 to Tier 18)
  • Jun 1 3:00PM PT - #388 (/13 575 to Tier 18)
  • Jun 2 3:00PM PT - #529 (/14 035 to Tier 18)
  • Jun 3 3:25PM PT - #677 (/14 424 to Tier 18)
  • Jun 4 3:00PM PT - #807 (/14 747 to Tier 18)

Might even finish in the top 1000 for this tier, which, while having no tangible benefits, is kinda cool, I guess. No new defenses.

9 hours ago, mcsilas said:

Tried swapping 4 star Olivia for 4 star Sharena for a better score since i'm currently being demoted to Tier 17.

Was going okay for first three battles. Even won against a flier emblem team with a scary Gronnblade +3 Spring Camilla (thank goodness Reinhardt has 3 move to escape the corner I almost trapped myself in).

4th battle ruined my streak though against a cavalry team in the two walls map. Of note was a +1 Camus with Desperation and Galeforce and a +3 Priscilla with the new staff skill that prevents counter attacks. There was also a Reinhart and Xander. Unfortunately Hector fell from an unexpected Priscilla snipe from the bottom while I was trying to bait Reinhardt, so trying to defeat 2 blues with no green was not fun. 

Was it @Hilda's team? The Camus and Xander had Heavy Blade...

That was my Team, sry :X

I see the new non counter skill on Priscilla seems to take people by surprise that run counter units, also facing a cavalry team on the 2 walls maps is like the worst case scenario imho

I guess you were Kensei?

Edited by Hilda

23 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

lol, pretty funny to see that 2 points means a difference of 100 ranks. I'm a bit jealous of you for already having Camus fully build though (or at least enough to put him on your defence team), so I guess that makes us even?

I'm really curious about what cut offs will be in tier 18 next week though. The only people there should be at that time should be the 14k ish people promoting from tier 17 and the few people coming down from tier 19. Considering my rank in tier 17 now, reaching tier 19 might not be a dream much longer! Tier 20 is going to take a bit longer though...

Haha, yeah. It looks like we should reach Tier 19, if we do as well next week, as @MrSmokestack just posted his score, 4810, so 2 pts less than me, and 4 for you, and he's moving onto 19.

And I was waiting for Camus, really excited to finally get him. He's now 5*, lvl. 40, with Fury 3, Vantage 3, and Goad Cavalry. He's pretty awesome! He'll be getting Reposition with just 7 more SP, which will be happening in, like, 15 minutes. His offensive skill is only his native Rising Thunder though, but it's not like he needs actually needs a special. How's yours coming along? If your profile picture is any indication, I'd wager he's one of your favorite characters.

8 minutes ago, Astellius said:

Haha, yeah. It looks like we should reach Tier 19, if we do as well next week, as @MrSmokestack just posted his score, 4810, so 2 pts less than me, and 4 for you, and he's moving onto 19.

And I was waiting for Camus, really excited to finally get him. He's now 5*, lvl. 40, with Fury 3, Vantage 3, and Goad Cavalry. He's pretty awesome! He'll be getting Reposition with just 7 more SP, which will be happening in, like, 15 minutes. His offensive skill is only his native Rising Thunder though, but it's not like he needs actually needs a special. How's yours coming along? If your profile picture is any indication, I'd wager he's one of your favorite characters.

I think Smoke isn't promoting though?

And yeah, Camus is definitly one of my favourites. I've pretty much stopped using GHB characters as bonus units, since I only want to use 5* characters and promoting the Askr trio is cheaper. I'm making an exception for Camus though, as he pushed Anna's promotion back for another few weeks. He's currently at lvl 36, but I need to promote some skill fodder to get him decked out, and I hardly have a single feather left after promoting him (still worth it), so I have to wait until tuesday to complete him. It's a bit of shame my only two 5* horsies are both blue units though.

59 minutes ago, Hilda said:

That was my Team, sry :X

I see the new non counter skill on Priscilla seems to take people by surprise that run counter units, also facing a cavalry team on the 2 walls maps is like the worst case scenario imho

I guess you were Kensei?

Yes haha. Nah i saw that skill and was careful about trying to keep Hector away from her, and then I was trying to kill Reinhardt straight away since he covers the whole middle row of the map but failed to take into account Priscilla can reach Hector from below, which removed his Quick Riposte effect when Reinhardt moved in.

It's more the double wall map messes up my sence of enemy danger areas especially if ranged cavalry is involved (especially 2!). Enjoy the win though, and it's pretty cool I  battled someone from this forum, should have friended you had I reslised sooner! (I did remember somone merging a Camus and having Galeforce haha)

Double distant counter cavalry is scary enough as it is without two ranged units backing them up haha

I ran into a Reinhardt/Olwen/Leo team (plus Sharena) on the cracked walls map. That was a painful loss, although fortunately one that came after I was already finished with serious arena stuff for the week.

I wonder if I could've stood a chance if I was still running my own Reinhardt. Wanted to try running Camus over him to see if that gives more points, but I'm not seeing much difference so far. (Camus is melee and has Defiant Atk 3 instead of Death Blow 2, but Reinhardt has Blazing Thunder rather than Moonbow which might be relevant.)

1 hour ago, Bartozio said:

By the looks of things, I may very well move up to T19, since my score isn't anywhere near the rank 5,099 cutoff; I'm 2,371 right now.

Camus and Xander are the only GHB units I've promoted to date, and they're doing fantastic for me right now. Easily the best free units we've gotten since Ursula if you're willing to deck them out.

Update for 5078 in T19 (little late, just took a nap =P ):

6am PDT 6/1: 85

6:45pm PDT 6/2: 102

4:45pm PDT 6/3: 125

5pm PDT 6/4: 136

Teams faced detailed in the previous post. Highest Def score is still 586.

Talys' Bride Caeda is set up and ready to roll for next season.

52 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

Yes haha. Nah i saw that skill and was careful about trying to keep Hector away from her, and then I was trying to kill Reinhardt straight away since he covers the whole middle row of the map but failed to take into account Priscilla can reach Hector from below, which removed his Quick Riposte effect when Reinhardt moved in.

It's more the double wall map messes up my sence of enemy danger areas especially if ranged cavalry is involved (especially 2!). Enjoy the win though, and it's pretty cool I  battled someone from this forum, should have friended you had I reslised sooner! (I did remember somone merging a Camus and having Galeforce haha)

Double distant counter cavalry is scary enough as it is without two ranged units backing them up haha

again that map with 2 walls is nearly impossible to win deathless when you are faceing a horse-emblem team. Especially one that has ranged horse-Emblem in it, you cant avoid to the sides because you would corner yourself/split up your units on a disadvantage, you cant open the middle because the melee units will most likely reach you (not opening means the range units can still reach you). Its really a fucked up map ¬.¬. It gets even worse when there is a dancer around...

I cant tell you how many times i failed that map -_- because i cornered myself or got fucked up by a surprise attack due to a dancer giving extra moves.

2 hours ago, Bartozio said:

And yeah, Camus is definitly one of my favourites. I've pretty much stopped using GHB characters as bonus units, since I only want to use 5* characters and promoting the Askr trio is cheaper. I'm making an exception for Camus though, as he pushed Anna's promotion back for another few weeks. He's currently at lvl 36, but I need to promote some skill fodder to get him decked out, and I hardly have a single feather left after promoting him (still worth it), so I have to wait until tuesday to complete him. It's a bit of shame my only two 5* horsies are both blue units though.

Well, he's ranked 2,362, with the top 5,094 promoting. Seems likely he'll make it.

Promoting the Askr trio seems like a smart idea, as 5*s are obviously the way to go in the arena, and that guarantees you can always run a team of them. My Sharena is a 5*, but Anna and Alfonse are lazing about as mere 3*s. The next person I'm going to 5* is Est, but, after that, I'll probably do Anna, possibly Alfonse. And my Camus now has Reposition, so he's about as fully decked out as he's going to be for awhile, as the only thing remaining is a better special, which really isn't important. He's a great 5* even without inheriting anything, so anything added on is just extra awesomeness.

1 hour ago, MrSmokestack said:

Camus and Xander are the only GHB units I've promoted to date, and they're doing fantastic for me right now.

Same! Both are incredible units, especially for Horse Emblem. If not for Xander, I might be using Eliwood... those eyes... *shudder*

On 6/3/2017 at 8:14 PM, Ice Dragon said:

This season's bonus heroes are a pain in the ass to work with.

Subbing Olivia in Ninian's place (Celica, Olivia, Nowi, Julia) just wasn't doing it for me, and subbing Sophia back in Celica's place didn't get me enough points.

Currently sitting here, but I'll probably try one more time tomorrow with a different team:

Score: 4,982 (deathless)
Defense: 584 (8)

Offense Team:

+10 Tharja [+Spd, -HP] (Raudhrblade+, Ardent Sacrifice, Moonbow, Life and Death 3, Desperation, Spur Res 3)
+0 Olivia [+Spd, -Res] (Silver Sword+, Dance, Knock Back, Hone Atk 3)
+8 Minerva [+Spd, -Res] (Hauteclere, Reposition, Bonfire, Fury 3, Drag Back, Hone Fliers, S Fortify Res 1)
+6 Spring Camilla [+Spd, -Res] (Gronnblade+, Reposition, Draconic Aura, Fury 3, G Tomebreaker 3, Hone Fliers)

Oh god, that was about the most nerve-wracking hour of arena I've done yet. My fingers are still numb, my arms are still shaking, and there's mac and cheese in the microwave still waiting for me. But it's finally done. Seven straight wins, no failures, no surrenders.

Score: 5,038 (deathless, 716-722)
Defense: 584 (8)

Offense Team:

+10 Tharja [+Spd, -HP] (Raudhrblade+, Ardent Sacrifice, Moonbow, Life and Death 3, Desperation 3, Hone Spd 3)
+10 Ninian [+Spd, -Res] (Lightning Breath+, Dance, Triangle Adept 3, Escape Route 3, Fortify Def 2, S Fortify Res 1)
+6 Bride Caeda [=] (Blarblade+, Ardent Sacrifice, Iceberg, Life and Death 3, Desperation 3, Hone Spd 3, S Attack +1)
+9 Julia [=] (Naga, Draw Back, Dragon Fang, Resistance +3, Quick Riposte 3, Breath of Life 3, S Speed +1)

This season has reminded me just how much I hate the design of the old arena maps. They're way to constricting and have far too much terrain blocking your movement, making them more favorable for defense teams with dancers.

Also that feel when your Bride Caeda with a Hone Spd 3 buff is still not fast enough to double attack a Fury Vantage Ryoma or strong enough to one-hit kill him. If only I had a +Spd roll... Thankfully, I was in a position where I could double team him, and both Bride Caeda and Tharja can tank a single hit.