Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

26 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

@Arcanite @LuxSpes Step up your game

I got deathless on my first run 3 weeks in a row, and this time it only took me a second try

Also, didn't you only get deathless the day before the season ended 1 seasons before last?

Mess with me again noob

Edited by Arcanite

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

One reason I like running a defensively oriented (i.e. counter kill) team, especially on weeks with fortification tiles: you get to decide where your opponent stands when you enter combat.

I try to do that, but often, my problems would be the result of getting rushed down by horses, danced units or things like Firesweep/Brave Bow Cordelia. It was often difficult to put Julia in range of Reinhardt without her being in range of a danced Ryoma or a Leo.

Lucina also isn't the best counter-kill character, but she's my highest merge, so I need her to hit the 4870 range. Maybe I should just take the hit in score and replace her with someone like Azura.

12 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

3,000 feathers and 4 orbs if you stay in Tier 20. 2,000 feathers and 4 orbs if you fall to Tier 19.

So falling to Tier 19 and rising to Tier 19 give the same reward, and rising to Tier 20 and staying in Tier 20 give the same reward. This means that the rewards are based on the Tier you are entering/staying in and it doesn't matter which direction you are moving into them from.

Damn though, that 1000 feather jump looks mighty nice.

12 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Anyways, I have no delusions of being able to hold my position in Tier 20 this week. Unless I somehow have enough SP to teach Aether to every one of my units or pull another 4 Bride Caedas.

Actually... both of those actually sound somewhat doable.

Bride Cordelia's Rally Atk/Spd costs 300 SP, by far the most for assist skills. Do we know if assist skills increase the score of our teams? That might be an easier and cheaper route for you.

Edited by Hawk King

1 minute ago, Hawk King said:

So falling to Tier 19 and rising to Tier 19 give the same reward, and rising to Tier 20 and staying in Tier 20 give the same reward. This means that the rewards are based on the Tier you are entering/staying in and it doesn't matter which direction you are moving into them from.

Yes. The tier that you start your next season in is the only thing that determines your tier reward.

2 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

Bride Cordelia's Rally Atk/Spd costs 300 SP, by far the most for assist skills. Do we know if assist skills increase the score of our teams? That might be an easier and cheap route for you.

I'm not eating 3 of my Bride Cordelias for Skill Inheritance, though. Also, I really do actually want to keep a functional assist skill on all of my units. They've saved my ass several times.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm not eating 3 of my Bride Cordelias for Skill Inheritance, though. Also, I really do actually want to keep a functional assist skill on all of my units. They've saved my ass several times.

True, I suppose it is only a practical option for a buff bot.

Is your team all +10 aside from Caeda?

3 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

True, I suppose it is only a practical option for a buff bot.

Is your team all +10 aside from Caeda?

Caeda is +6 because I don't have enough copies of her. Julia is +9 because I can't decide what nature I want to use for a base for her (leaning towards [+Spd, -Def], but [+Spd, -Res] is still under consideration).

Ninian and Tharja are both +10. Ninian does not have a special skill right now.

I'm considering switching Julia out for Fae (will be +10, currently working on leveling up her merge base) for this season to take better advantage of the fortification tiles with Fae's higher defenses and innate Distant Counter.

9EHTh2a.jpg

Took 4 attempts and a lot of dueling crests, but finally got a deathless run and a new personal best! Last I checked, I think I was rank 224 though I'm not sure if this is enough to move to rank 20. If not, I'm fine bouncing between Tier 18 and 19. Also got 2 defence wins with the highest being 580.

2 hours ago, Arcanite said:

Also, didn't you only get deathless the day before the season ended 1 seasons before last?

Mess with me again noob

That's adorable.

That's like the one week where I didn't get deathless on my first try.

Try me

10 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

That's adorable.

That's like the one week where I didn't get deathless on my first try.

Try me

Well as long as we don't screw up as badly as Amphy did, I guess we can do the old "Don't mess with me, I won't mess with you" pact.

I got shooters in the bushes lil' boy

Sooo What kind of points are needed to get into tier 20?  in 19 now but don't think its possible with only +1/2 units.  I've been scoring around 4824, seems like a huge curve to the last tier.  I really don't enjoy playing Armor teams.  I can just relax and not blow all my feathers and merging, and play whatever I like.  Pretty nice to be semi casual and sit in the second highest tier :)

Edited by Chromatone

13 minutes ago, Chromatone said:

Sooo What kind of points are needed to get into tier 20?  in 19 now but don't think its possible with only +1/2 units.  I've been scoring around 4824, seems like a huge curve to the last tier.  I really don't enjoy playing Armor teams.  I can just relax and not blow all my feathers and merging, and play whatever I like.  Pretty nice to be semi casual and sit in the second highest tier :)

No way to be sure yet what this week's Tier 20 threshold will turn out to be by the end, but presumably quite a bit less than last week.

4 hours ago, Arcanite said:

I got deathless on my first run 3 weeks in a row, and this time it only took me a second try

Mess with me again noob

Heya, what's your username on Heroes?  I have a defense win from someone named Arc, and I was curious if it might be you.  (It probably isn't, but that'd be neat if it is!  And, uh, if it is you, I'm very sorry, haha! :lol:

7 hours ago, Hawk King said:

No you don't. Right now Tier 19 is composed entirely of people who moved up from Tier 18 last week. I ranked in the top 300 with a score of 4864. With 51xx people in the Tier, the top 1900ish will be able to advance to Tier 20. If I can get a similar score again this week, I should easily make the cut.

Your score of 4960 should be way more than enough to make it to Tier 20, and with Tier 20 expanding, you should have a pretty good chance of staying there.

It's impossible to get a defense score that high without a bonus hero.

@LordFrigid what are the awards in Tier 20? How many feathers if you stay and how many if you fall down to Tier 19?

Believe me, i think It was a bug, because i put sharena in Defense only the  two first days and i got the Defense yesterday. I want to know why i got this Defense.... I have two accs one with Hero of the season, ip bug? It is posible?

I am getting fucked on the 7. battle with my deathless run -_-, allready twice ¬.¬

And its allways against Nowi! She just eats up too much ressources because i swaped out Cecilia for Olivia...

Either she runs Quick Riposte, which means i need to bait her with Camus on a defensiv tile with emblem buffs/goads, so he counters her out of QR range and Reinhardt can finish her, or She runs Vantage, which in that case i need to position Reinhard with buffs and goads in such a way that he can one shot her (otherwise its game over ¬.¬)

If a dancer is present it gets more tricky because, welp my camus cant eat 2 attacks of Nowi and my Xander surely cant even eat one. So i need to seperate the dancer first or kill it ¬.¬

And the best part! its that f****** huge map only consistent of bridges whcih makes positioning for Emblem buffs harder and you can corner yourself easy or cant reposition how you like it.

I am gonna swap camus out and Cecilia in for this one. The absence from Cecilia is quiet notable against Blue Dragons -_-

Edited by Hilda

11 minutes ago, ignis_z said:

Believe me, i think It was a bug, because i put sharena in Defense only the  two first days and i got the Defense yesterday. I want to know why i got this Defense.... I have two accs one with Hero of the season, ip bug? It is posible?

Did you play on the account at all after you removed Sharena from your defense team? Your defense team only updates after you play a map.

51 minutes ago, Hilda said:

I am getting fucked on the 7. battle with my deathless run -_-, allready twice ¬.¬

And its allways against Nowi! She just eats up too much ressources because i swaped out Cecilia for Olivia...

Either she runs Quick Riposte, which means i need to bait her with Camus on a defensiv tile with emblem buffs/goads, so he counters her out of QR range and Reinhardt can finish her, or She runs Vantage, which in that case i need to position Reinhard with buffs and goads in such a way that he can one shot her (otherwise its game over ¬.¬)

If a dancer is present it gets more tricky because, welp my camus cant eat 2 attacks of Nowi and my Xander surely cant even eat one. So i need to seperate the dancer first or kill it ¬.¬

And the best part! its that f****** huge map only consistent of bridges whcih makes positioning for Emblem buffs harder and you can corner yourself easy or cant reposition how you like it.

I am gonna swap camus out and Cecilia in for this one. The absence from Cecilia is quiet notable against Blue Dragons -_-

Running no greens sounds pretty risky.

21 hours ago, DLNarshen said:

Does anyone know if skills like Knock Back or Lunge give the same amount of points as the traditional 3-tier skills?

I believe that it's based on the SP cost of the skill, so the specific tier of the skill should thus be totally irrelevant.

17 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Your tier doesn't affect your arena matchmaking at all. There is nothing bad about going up a tier unless you somehow don't like feathers and orbs.

Feathers and orbs are the worst, they're the devil's currency, and you gain them at the price of your soul...!

13 hours ago, ignis_z said:

Tier 18 FTP! im happy, now i cant reach tier 19 because i dont have any unit 40 +i only win 670 per combat then ill go to 17, I played Ike, Sharena, Nino, Azura. I think tier 18 FTP is a good meta, but ill keep playing.

You don't need merged 5*s to reach Tier 19. However, for more points per combat, you'll need your team to be fully decked out with skill inheritance. My team of Ike, Azura, Sharena, and Cherche gets matched with people in the ~688 range, with my highest matchup being 694. None of them are merged, but all of them are pretty well decked out in terms of SI. I also tried a few rounds with Reinhardt, Cecilia, Xander, and Sharena, and they get paired up against people with 680+. Cecilia's not even a 5*, she's a 4* +3. So, if you're only getting matchups in the 670 range, you should try upgrading the skills on your units.

11 hours ago, LuxSpes said:

Took me 2 hours and 12 crests, but I finally got a deathless run. I remember being fond of this map rotation the first time I played it, but this week, the defensive tiles allowed way to many enemies to survive with single digit HP, which always ended up costing me a death. I'm also hating Wings of Mercy right now, especially when it's on a dancer.

Yeah, this rotation has been killing me this week, I'm used to being able to wipe out key members of the opposition as soon as they're in range. I used a few crests, but haven't got a deathless run yet. I think I'm going to spend some feathers to give Hector Vantage 3, and use him to replace Cherche. These maps seem like the kind of thing Hector would really like.

8 hours ago, Alkaid said:

Only did 3 matches with the free crests today, but I was surprised just how easy the matches were compared to yesterday, and for the same point totals too (686-688 range). I'm not sure why things have gotten easier in tier 19 compared to 18.

Your matchups aren't based on your tier, so you're getting paired with the same people you have been paired with before. The only thing that changed between now and yesterday are the maps you're playing on. This rotation of maps has a lot of defense tiles, so, if you're running a defensive or balanced team, battles should be easier. Hyper offensive teams tend not to work so well on these maps.

6 hours ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Heya, what's your username on Heroes?  I have a defense win from someone named Arc, and I was curious if it might be you.

As of now,

they are called Arcanite and have an Azura as a lead.

6 hours ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Heya, what's your username on Heroes?  I have a defense win from someone named Arc, and I was curious if it might be you.  (It probably isn't, but that'd be neat if it is!  And, uh, if it is you, I'm very sorry, haha! :lol:

Nah my name is "Arcanite" in heroes

My defense team is Olivia, Nino, Celica, and Azura with Azura as lead so yeah LOL

9 hours ago, Chromatone said:

Tier 19 is currently composed entirely of the 51xx people who moved up from Tier 18 last week. The top 35% move to Tier 20, so 35% of 5100 is 1785. If you can match or improve your Rank in Tier from last week, and it was in the top 1800 of Tier 18, you should theoretically be able to move to Tier 20.

Last week I finished in the top 300 with 4864 points, so I expect to easily make the top cut for Tier 19 this week, as I should be able to improve on that score.

On 6/2/2017 at 8:21 AM, Xaos Steel Wing said:

What I do is I have a defense team with 2 melee units and 2 ranged units. No cavalry, no armor.

It doesn't seem to matter who they are, that team arrangement will get me at least one win every week, without fail.

For a while I had my 2 ranged units be archers. But I've switched one archer for a mage and that also get me wins.

I don't use armored units for defense as I find on offense they can often get left behind by the rest of the team, so players can handle the other 3 units and by the time the armored unit gets to the enemy team, the rest of the defense team is gone.

I tried that with my main team + Kagero, not a single defense win.

Lukas (Reciprocal Aid/Ignis/Fortress Def 3/Drag Back/Threaten ATK/)

Soren (Drag Back/Growing Wind/Nothing(A)/LanceBreaker 2/Fortify Res/+1 Speed Seal)

Olivia (No SI)

Kagero (Default Skill Set + Hone Spd 2)

Tried a couple of other teams with my Fury3/Vantage 3 Xander as well as Takumi and/or B!Cordelia but nothing appears to work. Cavalry/Flier Emblem could be a thing but it's missing Blade Horsemages/Reinhardt and Spring Camilla, respectively which makes me scared to try.

On 6/2/2017 at 8:35 AM, mcsilas said:

Woo, suddenly my 3 Defense win record shot up to 5 defense wins! Go go Brash Assault Lyn! Granted the recent ones had 4 star units as their lead with no Skill Inheritance but I'll take it! edit: hooray it's now 6 just then!

@Zeo What usually makes me lose is when there is a dancer in between two units (especially ranged ones). Also, when a melee unit is next to a ranged unit with Draw Back/Reposition. Otherwise, Wings of Mercy/Escape Route skills can be annoying to other people (especially on your dancer).

I was in your position about 2 weeks ago and gave Wings of Mercy to my Reinhardt and Olivia, which I think works well with Vantage Hector, Defiant Attack Lyn and Fury Xander (after taking damage for QR and Fury after battle damage). Althought last week I only had 1 defense win on the very last day, at least it's something.

Wings of Mercy on my Olivia would be amazing but the only thing I have is a *4 Palla and *5 Cain. I'm not really using the Cain but I like my Cain, he's a swap out for Xander and in the craziest case I'll give Brave Sword+ to a Hana if she shows up.

My current defense team is going to be *5 Hinoka, Lukas (Quick Riposte 2 instead of Drag Back), Catria and M!Robin. I also have *4 Abel but Lukas invalidates swordies anyway. This is the last team (except swap out Robin with Abel) that got me a defense win but the season after it didn't work for me.

17 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Nah my name is "Arcanite" in heroes

My defense team is Olivia, Nino, Celica, and Azura with Azura as lead so yeah LOL

Ahh, okay!  I thought it was probably a long shot.  Well then, I'm glad I'm not the jerk responsible for ending your first streak!  Haha. :P:

---

Currently my score of 4832 is rank 290/4910 in Tier 19.  4 defense wins already!