• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Maybe i should try to get Ophelia somehow hmmm

30 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Here’s a shot in the dark. Which form of modern entertainment do you prefer, Western or Japanese, and why?

Depends.

Movies and seriew i prefer western, while games more japanese

Chapter 14 was superb. Gameplay wise, anyway. The setting, and therefore the map, was cool, the Pegasus knights and kinshi knights threw a wrench in convention strategy while the normal enemies proceeded down the narrow paths.

Storywise, I cringed when they were talking about not knowing who the dancer that cursed Garon was. xD

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Here’s a shot in the dark. Which form of modern entertainment do you prefer, Western or Japanese, and why?

My thoughts are the same as Shrimpy’s: movies and tv from the west, and video games from Japan. Movies and TV just because I’ve only seen anime from over there, and that’s not really my thing. Games because I mostly play Nintendo stuff, plus FE, although some western ones are very good in their own right.

Edited by Sooks

54 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:Depends.

Movies and seriew i prefer western, while games more japanese

I check out the videos of popular anime YouTubers such as Gigguk or MB to see what’s popular in anime. Nothing has really struck me as much watch in at least half a decade. As for TV and movies in the West I’m equally as ambivalent as well. Must of the stuff I end up reading is at times well over half a century old, like the works of Manly Wade Wellman I’ve been going through recently.

Honestly, i haven't been watching much of anything lately. Some anime here, some movie there, and that's it XD

If RTS gets revived i could probably get into western games again, but that genre is deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaad

Edited by Shrimperor

45 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Storywise, I cringed when they were talking about not knowing who the dancer that cursed Garon was.

Agreed, it makes Leo look stupid, even though they say he isnt. Who the hell was that, she looked nothing like Azura! The bad writing at points is very noticable.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

As for me, I don't watch TV or movies (heck, I don't even watch anime all too much; the last anime I've seen was the Neptunia one a few months back), and my games are almost all Japanese (except the odd racing game here and there), because I have blacklisted most Western developers and publishers (EA, Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, Naughtydog, Bethesda, et al.) for their scummy business practices (seriously, f*** MTX and lootboxes) and the way they treat their employees like shit (the second I hear something like this about any Japanese dev I tend to buy games from, I'm dropping them). Not to mention most Western games I just don't care about at all, specifically of the shooter variety. I just don't like these.

So I guess you could say Japanese, since games are pretty much the only entertainment I have these days (except maybe writing), and the things I read, I read not for entertainment, but for study purposes (which is why I haven't done much, if any, reading in my free time in recent years).

Edited by DragonFlames

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Besides Xenoblade 2, alot of nowadays DLC isnt worth what you pay. That's just the world we live in right now. And yet, we keep paying, funny enough. 

Didn't you spend $200 on Dead or Alive DLC?

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Depends. For games, usually Japanese though I'm not opposed to playing the occasional Western game here.

For TV series, if it's animated, usually Japanese though I've been watching more Western stuff lately. Clone Wars, Mystery Incorporated, Young Justice. For live-action series, exclusively Western though I don't watch a whole lot of live-action series to begin with. I'm really just watching Doctor Who and The Mandalorian at the moment.

For movies, the only live-action Japanese movies I've watched are Kaiju movies. I've watched every Godzilla, watched the Japanese King Kong movies (of which one was a crossover with Godzilla), I'm in the middle of a Gamera marathon I've placed on hold. I have seen more animated Japanese movies. Aside from that, most movies I watch are from the West. Mainly because it's way easier and way more accessible. 

28 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I check out the videos of popular anime YouTubers such as Gigguk or MB to see what’s popular in anime.

I would recommend against doing this. It feels like a lot of AniTubers just have this pretentious air of authority or are just incredibly annoying and maybe I'm painting them all under the same brush but I'd rather just not watch them.

Besides, I've learned that keeping up with seasonals is a massive mistake. 

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I would recommend against doing this. It feels like a lot of AniTubers just have this pretentious air of authority or are just incredibly annoying and maybe I'm painting them all under the same brush but I'd rather just not watch them.

Besides, I've learned that keeping up with seasonals is a massive mistake. 

I mostly just do this if I’m really bored. The air of authority and pretentiousness is how I feel about must FE YouTubes. They really don’t tell you anything you couldn’t learn from just playing the game.

Edited by Wraith

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

Japanese. The video games I play are generally Japanese or have Japanese influence. I don't watch movies or TV, and I only rarely watch anime. There's next to nothing of Western entertainment that interests me, tbh. Although I'm far from an anime expert, I do appreciate the anime influence in a lot of the games I play (FE, for example) so long as it doesn't devolve into an irritating trope-fest or blatant otaku pandering.

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

I most just do this if I’m really bored. The air of authority and pretentious is how I feel about must FE YouTubes. They really don’t tell you anything you couldn’t learn from just playing the game.

If I can, I'll recommend FED (Fire Emblem Discussion). He's the one FE YT'er I've been able to consistently watch without getting annoyed by an elitist attitude or something like that. Just a chill guy casually talking about FE. Occasionally he'll have other FE YT'ers on his videos, but it's mostly just him.

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The air of authority and pretentious is how I feel about must FE YouTubes. They really don’t tell you anything you couldn’t learn from just playing the game.

FETubers really don't stand out to me that much, there's so little of them. Only one I can say I watched was that Chaz video about how FE4 is the greatest game of all time and it was basically him reading a list of valid critiques of the game and going "um you're wrong actually".

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

FETubers really don't stand out to me that much, there's so little of them. Only one I can say I watched was that Chaz video about how FE4 is the greatest game of all time and it was basically him reading a list of valid critiques of the game and going "um you're wrong actually".

I like FE 4 more then the next guy, but if you don’t know what you’re doing it can be a real pain in the ass to play.

Edited by Wraith

If I can, I'll recommend FED (Fire Emblem Discussion). He's the one FE YT'er I've been able to consistently watch without getting annoyed by an elitist attitude or something like that. Just a chill guy casually talking about FE. Occasionally he'll have other FE YT'ers on his videos, but it's mostly just him.

Yeah, I agree, he's the only objective Fire Emblem player I can tolerate nowadays.

I'm tired of all these people who misuse Fire Emblem videos just to offer bad entertainment instead of being teaching people who aren't familar with this or want to become better.

MarkyJoe is also still watchable, not only since he was somewhat an online friend some years ago, but unfortunately he hasn't done all that much lately.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Yup. Boss battles usually end the chapter and that's where the Moon resets.
One rather efficient method to play the game is to reach the area where the boss is in a new level, exploring the level and opening all the warp gates and such, then do quests until the last day, and then beat the boss.

From this, I reckon you have defeated Joe? Congrats!

I had to do this boss twice since I apparently pressed the wrong button for saving.

17 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Seconded. I actually started watching his content back in March when I saw that he was streaming Berwick, just after I finished my first playthrough. It's nice to see people play these games casually - they get perceived often as "elitist games" when they are, I'd say, very fun to play casually. 

Also, for those who have not watched ShaneBrained's retrospective series: why the hell not? They're really interesting to watch, as he's been experiencing these games blind in release order. 

Edited by Spara

2 minutes ago, Kasumi Yoshizawa said:

Rue is the typical adorable blonde tsun.

I like her a lot, too!

She's also incredibly useful in battle.
Her Shield of the Guardian can really make a difference, and her two offensive options have good AOE, too. The only problem with her is that she attacks rather slowly.

Edited by DragonFlames