Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 minute ago, Benice said:

Okay. So I should prolly get rid of the avoid thing.

Ah well, I spent all of my ether crystals, so it'll just be Tiger! Tiger! time later.

I mean, dodge tanking is still tanking.

But yeah, Today's better physically tanking.

• Replies 176.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It was my brilliant plan to avoid being called a boomer in the future. Now nobody will ever try it again, to avoid the awkward conversation that would ensue. I am a veritable genius!

Hmmm and it's not like I can do so when I'm (I think) older and thus more boomer.

This was cleverer than I anticipated.

*Begins typing the word "hierarchy" sees "Hayato" and "Hinata" pop up in my autofill suggestions. Begins typing the word "alter", sees "Altea" pop up in the autofill.*

My computer is learning Fire Emblem, it doesn't even red-underline the FE names.

Typing "Elm" puts "Elma's" in the autofill suggestions, but it doesn't seem as fluent in "X"... automatically suggests "Xenoblade".😆

---

"Entertaining" note-taking done! 

I think I'll get to that massive XC1DE quest log now that everyone is around. First comes the Fallen Armor for the two things of note there, and then hurry off to pick up the fourth Skill Trees in the order of Reyn, Shulk, Sharla, Dunban, Melia, Riki. Reyn and Shulk have only one skill left on each of the initial three trees to fill, so they get priority. I'd imagine that Field, Factory, and Agniratha would max the 4ths out pretty fast, so I'd absolutely take the break to get the 5ths before going into the endgame.

And, everyone has over 100k of unspent AP, because I haven't spent a drop besides some early Enchant and Shield. And yet, the Latecomer has a mere 10k, why so little? And on Arts, I appreciate the decrease in subject games to 5 levels per Art instead of 10 now. 10 is too incremental.

I found dodgetanking to be much much much weaker in XB2 than in XB1

In XB1 literally only some Bosses and Spikes could touch my Agility Team, meanwhile in XB2 agaility builds felt like 1RN FE lol

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I found dodgetanking to be much much much weaker in XB2 than in XB1

In XB1 literally only some Bosses and Spikes could touch my Agility Team, meanwhile in XB2 agaility builds felt like 1RN FE lol

It probably feels weaker because there's less agility buffs to go around.

I mean, certain Arts and Specials give you guaranteed dodges on command. You can't do that in Xenoblade 1. Of course, this is only truly reliable in the hands of the player. You can't expect the AI to insta-dodge attacks.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, certain Arts and Specials give you guaranteed dodges on command.

Enemy uses those

Me: Watches Menacingly

Ai: Keeps attacking like an idiot and gets countered

Edited by Shrimperor

10 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Enemy uses those

Me: Watches Menacingly

Ai: Keeps attacking like an idiot and gets countered

Yeah, i wish they kept the AI commands.

I mean, it's cool and vital that you can tell them when to use their Specials but telling them to stop attacking would've also been great.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, i wish they kept the AI commands.

I mean, it's cool and vital that you can tell them when to use their Specials but telling them to stop attacking would've also been great.

Especially against you know who.

To watch your 2 team mater get insta launched and then Ko'd because they are idiots is....

something xD

Okay, I now have time to reply to Armagon's wrong thoughts on TearRing Saga.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

It's lame because it's simply told to us. At the last second. Fire Emblem and Kaga have always had a problem with doing "show, not tell" and TRS is no different but i'll get into that later. Gwen Nachos tells us his motivation but we never really get to see it. Nergal's motivations being locked behind obscure requirements is bad, yes, but at least you're given flashbacks to what happened.

I don't mind using "i lost my girlfriend" as a source of bad guy motivation, it can be done well, but you really have to show us this. Otherwise, there'd just be no weight to it.

You do see Guenchaos with his wife in chapter 20, though. It's not much, I'll admit, but if you're going to count the single flashback hidden away in a gaiden within a gaiden in Nyorgle's favor, I think you should count that as well.

Which honestly makes me more invested in Nergal ngl. At least when comparing the two. Nergal simply wanted to see his children again but he got so drunk on the dark kool-aid that he forgot. That's kinda tragic.

Fair enough, I'll give you this one because I honestly like it too.

I wish we actually saw the extent of Eisenbach's power. We're told he's "very powerful" but we never see it so when Gwen Nachos offs him, it's just......ok. Blazing Blade did good by having Athos display his full might.

You can see his stats, but... yeah. Eisenbach just didn't have enough screentime. Athos and Nestle have the same relationship, only... more than one scene for it.

Hey uhhhhhhhhhhhh, is there a requirement to view this scene. Cause i deadass didn't see it. Did it require Zeig being alive?

It's... I'm pretty sure it happens no matter what at the end of chapter 38. Did you fast forward through it too?

The twins were on the run, Elbert was captured in the one year between Lyn's story and Eliwood's story.

Elbert freed the twins, though, and they recount how he told them all sorts of cool stories while they were imprisoned. Even got a CG of the three of them in a cell to accompany the scene. That means they must've been captured together for at least a few days. What stopped Noogles from winning then?

Also he needed enough quintessence to not only open the gate but control the dragons, because Nergal knew without that last part, he too would be reduced to ash. That's why he was sowing conflict everywhere. So yeah, there's your answer as to why he just didn't do it from the start.

All right, fair enough.

I disagree. I think one of the most important things of writing an effective villain is to have them interact with the heroes at least once, in some way. I say at least once because it all depends on the story being told.

Also keep in mind for this specific part, i'm separating "effective villain" from "good villain". Cause like, i think Ashnard sucks, but he still interacts with the heroes, even if it's on the final chapter.

You get what i'm trying to say here.

Yeah, I do. Well, to be honest, you're probably correct, but I don't think having no interactions with Runan or Holmes kills Guenchaos by itself. He does have interactions with the shamans.

Palpatine's plans are literally based on chance and circumstance and don't actually make sense when you think about them.

Hey, I haven't even watched any Star Wars movies. All I know are the memes. I don't know what I'm talking about, I just know that it's wrong and evil to speak badly of the original trilogy. Often heard Palpy is the best villain in cinema, so... yeah. I never see Naruhodo getting that kinda praise.

Because i really can't see how Gwen Nachos works. He has no presence, his motivation is peak "tell, not show". He's just not good.

I could say the same about Noodle, to be honest. The guy spends most of the story making a fool of himself and leaving all the work to stupid underlings.

But, well, it's matter of tastes, at this point. We'll have to disagree to agree.

THIS!

I talked about it in my review but the kingdom vs empire plot was far, far more interesting than cult shit and even then, the empire only started the war because of the cult's influence.

I think out of all the Fire Emblems, TRS suffers the most by having evil cult being thrown into it.

Eh... Yeah. Honestly, yeah. The Cult looks good in my eyes because they have Zieg, who's the best character in the game aside from Eugen, but Canaan is overall a lot more interesting. Even Canaan's one-offs were all interesting in their own ways. For the most part.

I mean, the whole Wellt arc is basically just a prologue in the same way that Lyn's story is.

Okay, this I will just not accept. Fat noble trying to usurp power isn't amazing, but Lyn's story is a complete mess, entirely detached from the main plot aside from introducing the Black Fang. At least Wellt isn't entirely irrelevant once the first arc ends.

Well......if the character is a force of nature, i'd actually argue it's easier to like them. It's a lot easier to pull off a force of nature antagonist than a human antagonist.

I don't know if the difference in tone between TRS and Blazing Blade was that big tbh. TRS has some darker stuff but apart from the sacrifices, we never really get to see it.

Plum.

I know you skipped it, but... Plum.

Hey look, it's time for me to disagree with you again.

Always has been.

I will give Gwen Nachos this: I have to respect when the shamans were calling him out and his response to all of them was "i literally do not care". 

That's it, that's the only point he gets.

Katri tried really hard. And then he just went "I missed the part where that's my problem."

Also this has the same energy as me giving Nugget a point for the Ninian shenanigan... even though I later substracted it for retreating after taking a papercut from Athos. Whoops.

16 hours ago, Armagon said:

I may not like Kaga's games most of the time but i can say this is easily his best work which admittedly wasn't that hard, his only other good game is Mystery of the Emblem.

Just because you didn't vibe with Berwick Saga due to its quirks doesn't mean it isn't a masterpiece and objectively his most unique and solidly designed game. This is like me saying that Xenoblade is an awful series because I personally don't like it.

I know, I'm arguing semantics here, but you know how it is with me and Berwick Saga. I demand that you retract this statement and correct it to "this is easily his work that I enjoyed which admittedly wasn't that hard, I'm a person without taste and cannot bask in Berwick Saga's glory."

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You do see Guenchaos with his wife in chapter 20, though.

What.

I know you see him in Ch.21 when he teleports the dragon away but 20?

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's... I'm pretty sure it happens no matter what at the end of chapter 38. Did you fast forward through it too?

I would know if I saw it.

I guess I just accidentally skipped it entirely but I don't remember hitting skip.

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Often heard Palpy is the best villain in cinema, so... yeah.

Don't know if I'd say best but he is definitely good. Just.....not because of writing. Or rather, not because of writing outside of the OT. The OT presents Palpatine as the super big bad but that was it. The rest of the franchise portrays Palpatine as this omega powerful wizard who plays 10-dimensional chess with his plans.

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Fat noble trying to usurp power isn't amazing, but Lyn's story is a complete mess, entirely detached from the main plot aside from introducing the Black Fang.

To be fair, Lyn's story is a byproduct of Blazing Blade being the first to come to the West. It's only mandatory the first run, any subsequent runs let you skip it and I'm pretty sure the Japanese version lets you skip it entirely.

Lyn's story pretty much existed to teach Westerners about Fire Emblem. Not saying it's perfect but I can't fault it for being so disconnected from the rest of the overall plot.

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Plum.

I know you skipped it, but... Plum.

True.

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Always has been.

I will say, the shamans being revived isn't as deus ex machina as you think. Most of Holmes' first route split is him looking for the revival stone, which Kirshna later steals to revive her dead boyfriend.

Basically, revives have been established within the lore. Even if the goddess didn't revive them, there was nothing stopping the heroes from going to the Tower and bringing them back that way.

Ninian, I'll grant you was a deus ex machina but I still wouldn't prefer her staying dead.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

What.

I know you see him in Ch.21 when he teleports the dragon away but 20?

Sorry, my bad. That's what I meant.

I would know if I saw it.

I guess I just accidentally skipped it entirely but I don't remember hitting skip.

I mean, it's a pretty important scene, and I've never heard of it being missable - not that there'd be a reason for it to be. You must've misclicked or something.

To be fair, Lyn's story is a byproduct of Blazing Blade being the first to come to the West. It's only mandatory the first run, any subsequent runs let you skip it and I'm pretty sure the Japanese version lets you skip it entirely.

Lyn's story pretty much existed to teach Westerners about Fire Emblem. Not saying it's perfect but I can't fault it for being so disconnected from the rest of the overall plot.

I would've liked it if Caelin had more of a bearing in the plot outside of Hausen getting hurt by Leyla and... yeah, that's it, really. But you're right, it was a glorified tutorial, and for that purpose it works. Plus, credit where credit is due, back when I started and had no idea how to strategy game, it was invaluable.

I will say, the shamans being revived isn't as deus ex machina as you think. Most of Holmes' first route split is him looking for the revival stone, which Kirshna later steals to revive her dead boyfriend.

Basically, revives have been established within the lore. Even if the goddess didn't revive them, there was nothing stopping the heroes from going to the Tower and bringing them back that way.

Ninian, I'll grant you was a deus ex machina but I still wouldn't prefer her staying dead.

I like how this has somehow come to the point where you're defending TRS's story from me. Funny how that works, eh?

Anyway, yes, you're quite correct here. As for Ninian... I wish they'd found a way to revive her without resorting to a deus ex machina that comes completely out of nowhere. Like, I dunno... Instead of randomly dying to old age(?), Athos sacrifices the last of his power to bring Ninian back to life. Let you keep him for the dragon because that'd be a pretty big dickmove, then have him collapse afterwards and reveal how costly the revival was for him and that it was difficult enough to keep standing to fight the last dragon.

This still comes a bit out of the blue, but at least it comes with a real cost, and gives Athos a worthy send-off. Keep Bramimond in the shadows where he belongs, the useless character.

11 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

SQPjkzX.jpg

I throw my (bad) hat to the meme ring as well

You're a bit late, aren't you? I mean, at this point we're just telling each other "yeah, fair enough, true, good point." I mean heck, in his last post Armagon was defending TRS from me!

Still, these memes are wonderful, so thanks for throwing in your own. I love it.

(Also who's that compressed JPEG anime girl?)

Edited by Saint Rubenio

One of the good thing of Vic2 mods, they add stuff sorely needed since Vic2 itself is quite... barebones, compared to other Paradox games. Of all the time periods covered, it's the one not having a current game and barely got any expansions or updates.

The bad side... Mexico gets hit hard by modders, who seem obsessed with railroading stuff.

h0BKOYE.png

And being Mexico means dealing with this.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

(Also who's that compressed JPEG anime girl?)

Honestly dunno xD

I think she's from Index? But i never watched that myself

i just google'd ''Teehee anime'' and picked her xD

And THIS:

Gta8RE4.png

Is the bane of playing Mexico in mods and the mother of all railroading. The sad thing is that... it's pretty much inevitable to trigger this unless you play in a gamey way.

History 101: San Jacinto was pretty much RNG. It's not just VIc2 mods, people who write AH's just love to treat San Jacinto as something rigid and deterministic. News flash: it wasn't. Santa Anna being captured was just a fluke. He could've easily not. Or killed. Houston himself in that battle was shot in the leg and lost his horse, so equally it could've been him the one made POW or died.

Back to Vic2 mods, the best outcome you can hope here is... save and chose the last option. There's a 25% the US goes "Screw it, Texas, you're on your own". If that triggers, good, if not... reload. Even if you save with the event triggered, reloading makes it as if it has yet to trigger. So you can ride out the war this way. It's gamey, but... screw the way people make these mods, pft.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Honestly dunno xD

I think she's from Index? But i never watched that myself

i just google'd ''Teehee anime'' and picked her xD

For a moment I thought it was UmU girl and it was supposed to be a reference to me acting like an asshat and accidentally jumpstarting the Boomer Ruben arc of the Teehee thread.

Also, best way to handle the economy in Vic2. Do it all yourself. Let Capitalists do their own thing? Things quickly can turn into a mess.

Planned Economy and State Capitalism FTW!

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Also, HMS Monarchy is best government. Elections to placate the people and then you can just switch the party back if the people chose wrong.

In vanilla at least. One of the last updates the mod did was adding penalties if you pull that stunt.

Edited by Acacia Sgt