Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

... i used a difficulty mod/hack xD

Well, i like FE4 and FE9 even though they are also super easy xD

While challenge is more likely to make me like a game, it isn't a the only thing, haha.

FE9 is what probably tought me the most i know about FE. FE4 is unique enough that i can kinda overlook it's zzz gameplay, Thracia is fun enough i can overlook it's surprise bullshit, etc.

Ah, i see.

FE9... oh god i cannot stand it's gameplay, i'll just go play RD instead.

FE8 is kinda the outlier, imo. it doesn't attempt to stand out like most FE games, it's much more simple. Which i'm fine with personally.

Just now, Alastor15243 said:

Except that in a lot of the games that are making a genuine effort to provide challenge, especially the more recent ones, clear effort is made to make sure those characters don't break the game. They don't always succeed, but in games like Shadow Dragon and Conquest, characters breaking the game is mostly a result of unforeseen consequences of mixing systems having overpowered effects. Besides, what are you saying? That caring about game design is pointless, because it will never be perfect, and caring about where specifically beneath perfection it lies is meaningless? If so? I can't get behind that.

For that matter, what's the end goal here with this argument? To convince me that turnwheel should stay omnipresent? For what purpose? How would making it a separate game mode negatively affect you in any way?

I'm pretty sure Seth was not an attempt to making something balanced. XD Or Sigurd, or Fergus, or Rutger, or Marcus... i can keep naming other game breaking characters easily.

If you believe that was my point, your way off. Your trying to push "difficulty" on others that don't really want it. After all, i'm sure it's fun deploying 12 units and having only Seth participate... Like, why? They tailor towards casual players, this much is obvious. Imagine making a game like ST (super Thracia in case you didn't know)...  this would never sell, people would realise the game design is based around "difficulty" and end up not playing.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I'm pretty sure Seth was not an attempt to making something balanced. XD Or Sigurd, or Fergus, or Rutger, or Marcus... i can keep naming other game breaking characters easily.

You're listing a bunch of older games where they had less of an idea of what they were doing or were clearly making a conscious effort to be less difficult than their predecessor. I explicitly said I was talking about later games in the series where they started getting serious about higher difficulty modes. Also, Rutger being so powerful was mostly an accident. A happy accident, since it arguably made his class worth using, but still mostly an accident.

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

If you believe that was my point, your way off. Your trying to push "difficulty" on others that don't really want it.

Um... No? What on earth did I say that gave you that impression? What am I trying to impose on anyone by saying the devs shouldn't design a high difficulty mode assuming the people using it are save-scumming? The people who are save-scumming aren't going to be negatively impacted in any way by that.

Edited by Alastor15243

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Conclusion: Turnwheel/Divine Pulse/DSFE-style mid-chapter saves/FE4 battle saves were a good idea, and Conquest would benefit greatly from having one of these things.

Conquest does have it on Casual Mode.

Which honestly, if i were to replay Conquest in the future, i'd play on Casual Mode exclusively for access to battle saves. I'd be resetting anyway so permadeath would be meaningless.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Save scumming is completely antithetical to everything that is supposed to make Fire Emblem hard, and every game that has ever had them and tried to be hard anyway even while using them has invariably devolved into a trial and error resetfest.

Hard =/= redoing the entire map for an hour. It's why i use savestates in older FEs, cause large resets like this are just a waste of time. This is also the same mindset that makes me not like roguelikes.

Turn-based games rarely get harder difficulties right anyway.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Then again Witches in Echoes with their warp are... not good game design

For as stupid as it is, in all my playthroughs, i never actually got like, fucked over by them.

Like i always heard horror stories of warping Witches but what i experienced never lived up to that. Not even close.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

A Berwick iron man side by side with a Conquest Lunatic iron man, with the twist being:

Each unit has a unit they are linked to from the other game, if a unit from one game dies the unit they are linked to from the other game also ''dies'' and can't be used anymore.

I don't think Berwick has enough units for that.

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

You're listing a bunch of older games where they had less of an idea of what they were doing or were clearly making a conscious effort to be less difficult than their predecessor. I explicitly said I was talking about later games in the series where they started getting serious about higher difficulty modes. Also, Rutger being so powerful was mostly an accident. A happy accident, since it arguably made his class worth using, but still mostly an accident.

Um... No? What on earth did I say that gave you that impression? What am I trying to impose on anyone by saying the devs shouldn't design a high difficulty mode assuming the people using it are save-scumming? The people who are save-scumming aren't going to be negatively impacted in any way by that.

Apologies for the late reply, as i had to jump to my (really crummy) laptop for reasons. 

Those were just among a few, though. I could keep going, but i really don't prefer to. 

You kinda make it sound like Turnwheel/pulse has no reason existing except to help players out of a jam simply cause their "bad" players. At least that's how i read it, if that's not what you mean, than i apologise, but it sounded that way to me.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

For as stupid as it is, in all my playthroughs, i never actually got like, fucked over by them.

Like i always heard horror stories of warping Witches but what i experienced never lived up to that. Not even close.

I've had Python particularily die to a witch crit around 6 or so times in one playthrough. You're lucky, very very lucky! XD

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I don't think Berwick has enough units for that.

You can absolutely ironman Berwick Saga.

Just saying, because I caught a whiff of Berwick Saga negativity. I cannot allow that.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You can absolutely ironman Berwick Saga.

Just saying, because I caught a whiff of Berwick Saga negativity. I cannot allow that.

No no, i mean i don't think Berwick has enough units to be linked to a Conquest unit.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

You kinda make it sound like Turnwheel/pulse has no reason existing except to help players out of a jam simply cause their "bad" players. At least that's how i read it, if that's not what you mean, than i apologise, but it sounded that way to me.

What purpose do you think it serves?

ivgLNkH.png

m09Ov9f.png

''Divesity'' Japan pls xD

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

No no, i mean i don't think Berwick has enough units to be linked to a Conquest unit.

Berwick has 48 Units....

That's quite a bit more than CQ without kids iirc

Edited by Shrimperor

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

If my maths are right (because I can't find a solid answer on the internet, oddly enough), I believe counting all the children and discounting capturables, Conquest has something around 40 units, minus 1 game over unit. Berwick has 35, minus 3 game over units. So if you take the kids out of the equation, it's plenty doable.

Berwick has 48 Units....

That's quite a bit more than CQ without kids iirc

That's... not true at all lol, 48? Where'd you get that?

Berwick has 48 Units....

Thr fuck? The roster did not look that big.

Then again, with how Berwick handles recruitment, that's probably enough to make sure you at least get to have a full squad.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's... not true at all lol, 48? Where'd you get that?

Oh i dun goof'd xD

I just remembered that Berwick has 3 x 16 spaces, even though you can only fill 2 of those xD

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

What purpose do you think it serves?

Besides as Shrimpy stated for dealing with BS Crit RNG? Accidental misclicks when checking battle stats can be a thing, so it helps avoid that issue. The buttons being way to sensitive and getting two inputs forcing an attack that... wasn't safe when just checking. Not wanting to restart a 3 hour long desert chapter cause bad luck happened is a thing for alot of people (not me personally, mind you, i love those long battles) It's best use is convenience, really. I wouldn't say that Echoes is hard by any means, even on hard mode, and this is from a not so great FE player. and 3H is only "hard" on maddening, and if your strategy relies on DP, odds are you are in a position where your in trouble anyways. 

Turnwhweel was added as a QoL, I truly doubt IntSys went "our playerbase is dumb as fuck" when they added it.

Edited by Armagon

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Turnwhweel as added as a QoL, I truly doubt IntSys went "our playerbase is dumb as fuck" when they added it.

Thats... a good point, actually. 

Also @Shrimperor what are you reading.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Thats... a good point, actually. 

It makes sense too. They know a lot of players reset when a unit dies. And they also know that resets can nullify an hour of progress at least.

This is probably the same mindset that lead to battle saves being a thing in the other games.

Resets, battle saves, turnwhweel, it's all fundamentally the same. The difference is the time saved or lost.