Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 hour ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

Valkyria 5 never 😞

I hope we get one. And ideally not the Second Europan War for once, or at least without Gallia involved whatsoever. Not-Pacific theater!

Or, I'll take the perspective of an imperial regiment. Perhaps on the southern front, maybe we throw some Ragnite mines down there that represent the oil fields that the southern operational branch of Operation Barbarossa tried to reach, but got bogged down at Stalingrad. Also, I find it a little odd that despite the Not-WWII setting, the Empire is an Empire, what happened to the Bolshevik Revolution? Maybe, in addition to the Federation foe, the heroes have to fight commies led by an electricity-oriented Valkyria who can send orders to her robot army with a few zaps from her fingertips. -Just an idea.

• Replies 177.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I hope we get one. And ideally not the Second Europan War for once, or at least without Gallia involved whatsoever. Not-Pacific theater!

yeah same.

There were alot of hints in VC4 of how tensions between not-Japan and not-America were cooking up.

Question: Would japanese writers be able to write a pacific theater story without making Lapan the good guys or facing backlash from home if they decide to do "Japan bad"? If there's anyone i trust they can do this, it's the Valkyria writers, especially with how they made even the Federation, ya know, our faction, super shady, but at the same time we could have a Fates situation where Japan morally super duper good and Federatrion only bad and that can tank the writing. 

But yeah if we ever get VC5 i hope we move on from EW2

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Also, I find it a little odd that despite the Not-WWII setting, the Empire is an Empire, what happened to the Bolshevik Revolution?

got Valkyria'd, probably xD

Edited by Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων

ya know, talking about Valkyria gets me thinking

could negative skills work in FE, too?

To those who don't know, Units in Valkyria Chronicles had potentials fitting their personality, and not all of em were positives. For example a girl who had only negative experience with men would get accuracy lowered when near male units, other units hate desert and thus get stat penalty there, etc. I thought it was neat and made me change my units depending on situations, to make use of the positive potantials the units had depending on map.

Each character had positive and negative ones, so you might go "why should i use the men hater" but then she has another skill that makes her really good in a certain situation so the player can use her there. Also completing character paralogues does turn some of the negative ones into postive ones, so...

Of couse the Valkyria lvl system makes unit switching much easier than FE, but i still could imagine negative skills could've some use in FE

1 minute ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

Question: Would japanese writers be able to write a pacific theater story without making japan the good guys or facing backlash from home if they decide to do Japan bad? If there's anyone i trust they can do this, it's the Valkyria writers, especially with how they made even the Federation, ya know, our faction, super shady, but at the same time we could have a Fates situation where Japan morally super duper good and Federatrion only bad and that can tank the writing. 

Yeaaaah, that's the question. I have a vague understanding that Japan and its views on its imperial past aren't quite as condemnatory as they should be. We definitely have to leave fictional versions of Korea and China out of the picture, the colonialism and sex slaves in the former and the brutality of the Japanese invasion in the latter are waaaaay too much. We'd have to stick with Pacific islands, probably including the Philippines, and perhaps the Ryukyu Islands of which Okinawa is one.

Trying to think of a solution... well, VC likes giving us a quartet of main heroes. Three from the USA/Vinland, and the last one can be a young and idealistic Japanese POW that gets captured early on sees the errors of their country and willingly volunteers to fight against it. Ofc they wouldn't be trusted right away, buuuuuut we can invent a little skirmish wherein the good guys could use every fighter they can get and throw the POW a rifle, after which they're convinced enough that they get their superiors to let the POW fight. If we need a second Japanese playable, how about a Japanese-Vinlander? It doesn't need to bring up the Internment Camps where Japanese-Americans were forcefully relocated during WWII due to racism leading to misplaced distrust of their loyalties, although it could as a smidgen of blight on Vinland. IIRC, there was a small Japanese-American fighting force -in Europe, however. We can bend reality a little though.

4 minutes ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

ya know, talking about Valkyria gets me thinking

To those who don't know, Units in Valkyria Chronicles had potentials fitting their personality, and not all of em were positives. For example a girl who had only negative experience with men would get accuracy lowered when near male units, other units hate desert and thus get stat penalty there, etc. I thought it was neat and made me change my units depending on situations, to make use of the positive potantials the units had depending on map.

Each character had positive and negative ones, so you might go "why should i use the men hater" but then she has another skill that makes her really good in a certain situation so the player can use her there.

Of couse the Valkyria lvl system makes unit switching much easier than FE, but i still could imagine negative skills could've some use in FE

I think they could possibly work. Most of the negative skills in Valkyria Chronicles are % activation-based and don't activate all that often, they're usually tolerable -although I do tend to avoid the characters with the especially bad skills and stick with the better ones.

Fates and 3H added Personal Skills forever locked on characters, we could simply add a second personal slot with the negative skill in it. And 3H has laid a pinch of groundwork via the hidden talent concept for turning flaws into boons, as sometimes happens in VC4 with its side stories.

I was going to complain about Three Houses' story and how they rely on the external dark magic cult for conflict when it should really just focus on the three nations themselves but...

Spoiler

Apparently, it was Edelgard that was the Flame Emperor, which I'll admit I didn't see coming. I did suspect she was up to something but I didn't think she would be at the very top of our enemies, and now the story is back to where I suspected it to be before playing this game.

...Still, I imagine there's going to be some dragon we'll fight at the end. It is Fire Emblem, after all, can't be too nuanced.

It's kind of funny that as soon as I put on this makeup, Edelgard herself suddenly becomes super important to the plot.

I have finished Xenoblade Chronicles 3

1240393095655.jpg

The ending was good and I'll go into more detail on my thoughts... eventually.

Spoiler

While the game is a continuation of the first two, it oddly didn't include any of the content from the previous games that I was actually expecting to see: the Conduit, Alvis, Pyra/Mythra... wait a minute, where are they? Poppi was locked in a box the whole game, are they in another box? Seeing Poppi again was a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

It turns out Rex flagged the harem ending, a bold move sir. Technically Nia could have married someone else, but let's assume she didn't.  How am I supposed to tell people that XC2 isn't a harem game now? So does that mean Mio is Nia's daughter after all? Meanwhile, all Melia gets to remember her friends is Shulk's sword.

Was the Fog King just not a setup for anything after all? The game drew attention to the black fog a few times but didn't do much with it.

That aside, is there any postgame exclusive content I should be aware of, for when I get back into things?

2 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

I'll admit that's a pretty surprising compliment to the film that ended 12 years of an era.

To be fair, I explained some of the basics beforehand (i.e. "Big purple man wants to erase half the universe and succeeds") and she was still confused by a few things, but not too many.

47 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I remember seeing some posts unironically claiming that Guernica was actually XC2 Vandham, which is kinda sus when you think about it.

I kind of thought that at first, but then I was reminded that every game has its own Vandham. Guernica clearly isn't Urayan which also meant he couldn't be XC2 Vandham.

15 minutes ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

I think so! I've always thought it'd maybe be a decent idea to have almost anti-supports between units that don't like each other. Skills are a really good way to characterize the cast in my opinion, so negative skills have benefits there too- Maybe having weaknesses against certain classes or being unable to attack enemy healers and stuff like that.

If I was a unit, I would have the skill Procrastinator: Can only attack once every two turns.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It doesn't need to bring up the Internment Camps where Japanese-Americans were forcefully relocated during WWII due to racism leading to misplaced distrust of their loyalties, although it could as a smidgen of blight on Vinland

If anything, i think a VC5 would be the perfect game to bring that up, especially with how shady Vinland in general is *cough*Experimental Loli Nukes*cough*, but they will also have to make not-japan also shady, if not downright negative.

The Darcsen discrimination (and extermination in some cases. There were extermination camps in VC1 iirc) in not europe were shown in full force in the games. Not showing the Japanese-Americans treatment would be hella weird, imo.

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Fates and 3H added Personal Skills forever locked on characters, we could simply add a second personal slot with the negative skill in it. And 3H has laid a pinch of groundwork via the hidden talent concept for turning flaws into boons, as sometimes happens in VC4 with its side stories.

Yup, that would work quite well, i imagine.

10 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:
Spoiler

Was the Fog King just not a setup for anything after all? The game drew attention to the black fog a few times but didn't do much with i

Spoiler

The Fog is the resut of the worlds mixing.

11 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

That aside, is there any postgame exclusive content I should be aware of, for when I get back into things?

Spoiler

Melia and Nia have her quests

11 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:
Spoiler

It turns out Rex flagged the harem ending, a bold move sir.

Spoiler

Gigachad.mp3

Takahashi with the massive steel ball move against the internet

9 minutes ago, Benice said:

Procrastinator: Can only attack once every two turns.

289.png

Seriously tho, that could be a skill to balance a very powerful unit xD

I would have that skill, too

7 minutes ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

New idea to balance units: Pegasus trio but they have a love triangle with their liege and all give each other massive debuffs

You truly are my father.

Edited by Benice

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Valkyria Chronicles 5 takes place in the near future where the Federation must face a new threat

A new source of Ragnite has been discovered but unfortunately for humans, someone else wants it.

29 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

The ending was good and I'll go into more detail on my thoughts... eventually.

Reveal hidden contents
Spoiler
29 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

So does that mean Mio is Nia's daughter after all?

I personally don't think so (descendant is more likely) but the Internet has really latched on to it.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Hide contents

I personally don't think so (descendant is more likely) but the Internet has really latched on to it.

Spoiler

I started leaning into it as well because Tora is shown alive during Origin construction...

Unless Tora can live a 1000 years or something.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

A new source of Ragnite has been discovered but unfortunately for humans, someone else wants it.

"Punny humans, that Ragnite is mine!"

Just now, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I started leaning into it as well because Tora is shown alive during Origin construction...

Unless Tora can live a 1000 years or something.

Spoiler

Not counting Archsages because obviously, Nopon can live past a century or two. And apart from like facial hair, Nopon don't really show physical signs of aging.

What i'm saying is we only ever saw Tora from the back, he could've been like 120 for all we know.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:
  Hide contents

Not counting Archsages because obviously, Nopon can live past a century or two. And apart from like facial hair, Nopon don't really show physical signs of aging.

What i'm saying is we only ever saw Tora from the back, he could've been like 120 for all we know.

Spoiler

Could be

Another thing is the 3 swords shown together for the DLC. If the protags are gonna meet without the dimension/time shanenagans going on, they have to be all alive -> Not much tims has passed that our protags died.

Unless we get a prequel in which case big dissapoint

32 minutes ago, Benice said:

If I was a unit, I would have the skill Procrastinator: Can only attack once every two turns.

22 minutes ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

289.png

Make that three.😛

As for who it could balance. A Manakete perhaps, their power could be thought of like an atom bomb, massive, but not easily tapped into. Or perhaps some kind of Japanese-styled swordsman who takes the whole "iaido & calmness" approach to a whole 'nother level.

Although the unit shouldn't be given such stats that they can enemy phase too well, as being able to get only 1 kill every two player phases doesn't matter too much if they can rack up another 16 kills during the accompanying two enemy phases.

22 minutes ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

If anything, i think a VC5 would be the perfect game to bring that up, especially with how shady Vinland in general is *cough*Experimental Loli Nukes*cough*, but they will also have to make not-japan also shady, if not downright negative.

The Darcsen discrimination (and extermination in some cases. There were extermination camps in VC1 iirc) in not europe were shown in full force in the games. Not showing the Japanese-Americans treatment would be hella weird, imo.

True, I forgot the Darscen camps. Internment stand-ins could be a thing, I was being overly sensitive. Speaking of war camps, maybe to emphasize Japan-bad, the Bataan Death March?

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Valkyria Chronicles 5 takes place in the near future where the Federation must face a new threat

I was stupid and never had the volume on with KIU.😆

I take it you mean the Aurum? Although I'd throw in a Reset Bomb somewhere.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:
  Hide contents

Could be

Another thing is the 3 swords shown together for the DLC. If the protags are gonna meet without the dimension/time shanenagans going on, they have to be all alive -> Not much tims has passed that our protags died.

Unless we get a prequel in which case big dissapoint

Spoiler

Doubt it'll be a prequel but the important thing to note is that the Monado REX is locked away in Melia's room, which gives big "memento from a long-departed friend" vibes if you ask me.

The swords are there but that don't mean Shulk and Rex have to be alive (jury's out on Pyra and Mythra, they've got to be somewhere).

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I take it you mean the Aurum? 

Yeah i was basically thinking "what if Valkyria Chronicles but aliens".

Like Kid Icarus Uprising just suddenly having aliens was one of the funniest moments in gaming.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah i was basically thinking "what if Valkyria Chronicles but aliens".

Like Kid Icarus Uprising just suddenly having aliens was one of the funniest moments in gaming.

As if the Not-Metroids weren't already aliens?

In the loosely Greek mythological world, I get what you mean. Though we already had the space pirate chapter by the time the Aurum arrived, and being quirky suited KIU just fine.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although the unit shouldn't be given such stats that they can enemy phase too well, as being able to get only 1 kill every two player phases doesn't matter too much if they can rack up another 16 kills during the accompanying two enemy phases

Can only fight once during each enemy phase

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Speaking of war camps, maybe to emphasize Japan-bad, the Bataan Death March?

*reads on it*

Yup. Something like that.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:
Spoiler

important thing to note is that the Monado REX is locked away in Melia's room,

Spoiler

Wasn't that more an Aionios thing, since it's been a 1000 years there. It was shown before time resumed moving, after all.

I would love a Valkyria Chronicles 3 remake tbh. I really really loved it's cast, but it's gameplay...ugh

Really disliked those small repititive maps.

VC3 Cast/Stroy with legit VC1/4 like gameplay/maps/Objectives i would dig pretty damn hard