Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

16 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

lmao

Doozy

Name (US) Name (Europe) Name (Japan) CO Power (US) CO Power (Europe) CO Power (Japan)
Will Ed エド (Ed) Rally Cry NEW ERA ネクストエイジ (Next Age)
Brenner O'Brian ブラウン(Brown) Reinforce LIFELINE サーチ&レスキュー (Search and Rescue)
Lin Lin リン (Lin) Scout NIGHT VISION ナイトビジョン (Night Vision)
Isabella Catleia カトレア (Catleia) Deep Strike OVERLORD オーバーロード (OverLord)
Tasha Zadia アトリー (Atley) Sonic Boom FOX ONE フォックス1(Fox 1)
Gage Trak トラク (Trak) Longshot LONG BARREL ロングバレル (Long Barrel)
Forsythe Carter カーライル (Carlyle) No CO Power NONE NONE
Waylon Finn ディーター (Dieter) Wingman BAD COMPANY バッドカンパニー (Bad Company)
Greyfield Sigismundo ジギスムント (Sigismundo) Supply Chain HIGH COMMAND ビッグバンク (Big Bank)
Penny Lili ローミィ (Romy) Stormfront ENIGMA エニグマ (Enigma)
Tabitha Larissa リーゼロッテ (Liselotte) Firestorm APOCALYPSE アポカリプス (Apocalypse)
Caulder Stolos ベリス (Berith) No CO Power NONE NONE
The Beast Dracov ヴァンダ (Vanda) No CO Power NONE NONE
Davis Cole コール (Cole) No CO Power NONE NONE

Europe sometimes aligns with Japan, thus it's more faithful and was possibly translated first, despite North America getting the game four days before Europe. (Japan ...saw no official release and was obtainable only on a Nintendo reward program five years later b/c Advance Wars died in Japan. The Japanese title seems to literally translate as "Lost Light" so closer to Europe but not the same.)

Opening text...

US Europe
Our world is destroyed. Our world is destroyed...
Fire rained from the sky. After the meteors struck...
The land burned... ...the land blazed...
The earth shook... ...the earth shook...
The oceans raged... ...the oceans boiled...
The devastation was total. 90% of mankind is gone...
Dust covered the earth, blotting out all traces of the sun. Dust covers the earth, blotting out all traces of sunlight...
It seems impossible that anything could survive. What will come next? No one can answer that...
But amid the destruction, there is hope... But among the destruction, there are survivors...

Slight differences, but why did the US drop that statistic?🤔 I'd personally say the third-to-last and last lines are smoother in US too.

And this is only the beginning.😝

16 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Jo honorary FE lord.

Her?

Unusually peaceful. But in a game with nerfed CO Powers compared to the busted stuff in the prior games, how she'd get like easily the best of the bunch?😆

...Sorry to blab. I'm still quite fond of this 2008 thang.😅

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 179.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

22 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

i feel like the best version would be a mix of both xD

I grew up playing DoR, so I'm more used to it and probably biased towards it. But yeah, I'm sure a splicing of the two scripts could produce the very best results.🧐

22 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

do continue blab'ing!

...Talking about it is scaring me with how old the game is, because I was alive and in my teens when it released. Not good for me right now.😅

But, me checking this very topic, I'll re-post this which I had posted earlier this year.:

Chapter 08

US Europe
Lin: You know, Will, you should be grateful that I'm such a nice instructor. Lin: You know, you should be grateful that I am acting as your teacher, Ed.
Will: Oh? Ed: Why do you say that?
Lin: Mmm-hmmm. When I was in the Rubinelle military academy, I had very strict instructors. If you missed a question, they'd have you doing push-ups and running laps. You're practically on vacation in comparison. Lin: When I was in the Laurentian Military Academy, I had much stricter teachers. If you didn't pay attention when they spoke, they'd have you doing push-ups... Really, you have it very easy.
Will: Wow. Well...thanks for being so nice. Ed: I'm very grateful, First Lieutenant Lin.
Lin: Once I forgot how many ball bearings are in a tank thread, and my instructor screamed at me. Not nice screaming, either. Nasty stuff. Things you're far too young to hear. Lin: Why, once when I got a question wrong in class, I was screamed at for ten minutes. Those teachers didn't mince their words either. My ears were ringing for days...
Will: Ok, now I'm scared. Ed: I really do appreciate your teaching methods!
Lin: Don't go storming across that bridge. Let the enemy come to you. Build some indirect-attack units to weaken them as they approach. Use transport copters to move soldiers into distant cities and factories. Then focus on producing additional tanks and indirect-attack units. Once your force is ready, move east as a group and engage the enemy. Lin: There's no need to rush to cross the bridge. Wait for oncoming enemy units. It would be a good idea to produce indirect attack units for this job. Use Helicopters to transport Infantry units to capture cities and factories. Focus on producing additional Tanks and indirect attack units. Then go east and engage the enemy!
Will: Understood! Ed: Understood!
Lin: Now give me a thousand push-ups! Lin: Now give me twenty push-ups!
Will: Uh...OK? One...two...th-threeeeeee... Ow ow ow...F-f-f-foooourrrr... Ed: Wh-What?!
Lin: Will? You can stop. I was kidding. Lin: Just my little joke...
Will: ...Huh? Oh! Oh yeah, I... I knew that. Ed: I was worried for a second...
Lin: Stop by again if you want more tips. ...Or exercise. Lin: Come and visit the Briefing Room again when you want more tips.

DoR knows how to do funny better.😄

Context- the War Room/Briefing Room in DoR/DC is an optional advice column that provides map-specific tips for every campaign battle (something AW can do but FE can't, due to fundamental differences). It's an unexpected, easily missable treasure trove of silly dialogue too.😆

...'Course I won't recommend Lost Dark Days of Light Conflict Ruin to you, as evangelical as I could be.😛 I think you have some inclination towards disposable-unit strategy since you like that old Command & Conquer thing (albeit that's real-time vs. AW's turn-based). But, knowing it's entirely possible to like Fire Emblem and dislike Advance Wars, despite being SRPG & pure Strategy sisters from Intelligent Systems -as in Ruben's case- I won't nudge you towards it.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

2023091914301000-s-1.jpg

Ah yes, the most utilitarian, creativity-lacking name possible.😏 But it works well enough, so I don't question it

How fucked up must the world be if they're calling it Wars World?

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

The more annoying part is people using it to shit on modern Paper Mario

Well, fans miss out on something they may enjoy, then.

If I would have just said "eh im done with Trails" after Reverie, I would not have enjoyed Kuro at all, which would have been missed.

So, their loss really.

I didn't want to go back to the old GBA OSTs until after I was done with both of Re-Boot Camp's campaigns, but...

This is... an eclectic jazzy sidegrade. I was expecting rock music, but I didn't get that and I don't mind that.

However...

...the original is... It has a slightly gritty scrappiness to it, and an upbeat vibe that doesn't flinch at a little Black Hole invasion trouble. And then, around the 22 seconds in, it blossoms into warmth, coziness. It's a blanket of aural comfort to me, it makes me want to 😭, but in a good, nostalgic way.

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

How fucked up must the world be if they're calling it Wars World?

Look upon humanity Armagon, do you not see the history of Man is the history of war!? Do you not real- *purges soul of misanthropic/order-demanding villain from my body*.

And yet they say in AW1 that things have been at peace for quite some time.😆

Plot was never the strong suit of Advance Wars.

• Outright nonexistent prior to Advance Wars actually. Meaning: Famicom Wars, Game Boy Wars 1/Turbo-2-3, and Super Famicom Wars.
  • It started lighthearted with AW1, got a little more serious with 2, crept again towards greater seriousness with a little bland environmentalism with Dual Strike. And then overhauled to anime for Days of Ruin.
  • Between Dual Strike and DoR, things went towards Pixar/Western children's animation with the England-developed single-player 3D RTS Battalion Wars games ("Assault!! Famicom Wars" in Japan). Which I also own both of.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, there was one today. Fairy.

fairy.jpg

Jigs. *Remembers the anime*

...Does Miku really want to perform alongside that?🎤😴😠🖊️🥸

29 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Haha, well, not all Jigglypuff do that. XD

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Enough that no matter the continent, it's the same four nations, apparently.

"How come when something happens, it's always you three four."

1 hour ago, Lightcosmo said:

If I would have just said "eh im done with Trails" after Reverie, I would not have enjoyed Kuro at all, which would have been missed.

So, their loss really.

I think the difference with Trails is you'd have to play catch up.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well can Jigglypuff put a program to sleep?

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Chapter 08

The problem i have with this is that both convey kinda different personalities, ya know?

Like, i do think the american flows kinda better (especially in the first half), but depending on personality i can think one or the other is a bit ooc lol

knowing it's entirely possible to like Fire Emblem and dislike Advance Wars

true

Well, i never really tried AW, but i did try a game that's based on AW - Wargroove - didn't stick with me much

(albeit that's real-time vs. AW's turn-based)

yeah.

Took me a while into a i got into turn based strategy.

Talking about it is scaring me with how old the game is, because I was alive and in my teens when it released. Not good for me right now.

you are talking like the game released in the 80s or something lol

4 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

So, their loss really.

Sometimes missing something is more worth than experiencing pain.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Screenshot_2023-09-20-00-19-10-66_0b2fce

I feel like it's just sabotage at this point.

Wanna see sabotage?

Kuro 2 has a fantl, a game the west won'T get before 2026 probably lmao

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Expressive Lash be.😄

Also caught my eye when I watched a video of Toy Box. They gave her the best faces.

2023091916085900-s-2.jpg

...maybe second best faces.

I wonder what she likes to watch.

Anime. She is, after all, a psychotic war criminal.

Ruben probably agrees with that first complete sentence.

I do, yes. Good man Flak. Gets too much flak.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

61191020080116_144748_23_big.jpg

This dude looks realistic,

And even he's weird. His beard is a different color than his hair.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

リーゼロッテ (Liselotte)

There is it.

4 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Hmmm, i wonder. Is it truly?

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

I think the difference with Trails is you'd have to play catch up.

I played Kuro II without being able to read a single sentence the first time and was fine. 

I'm glad i only have to show up to my Wednesday class only sometimes. 

6 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Kuro 2 has a fantl, a game the west won'T get before 2026 probably lmao

The absolute prime example of NISA's incompetence can be shown in the recent Vanillaware releases:

• GrimGrimiore OnceMore: remake of a game they already localized that took longer to come out than the original time they localized
  • Unicorn Overlord: brand new game, published by Atlus, WW simultaneous release.
1 hour ago, Lightcosmo said:

played Kuro II without being able to read a single sentence the first time and was fine. 

That's not the same as playing catch up.

7 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Well, i never really tried AW, but i did try a game that's based on AW - Wargroove - didn't stick with me much

Actually I bought that, and it didn't click the same way AW does for me.

There were some nice ideas in Wargroove for sure, like lower costs for naval units and the invention of amphibians. Critical hits and secondary abilities for units weren't bad either. And yet, the game still never jived. The campaign even on Normal seemed arduous, and the game, despite lower unit costs in general, felt like it was continually starving me of sufficient funds.

-But then this was just me.🙃

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...maybe second best faces.

Adder is the kind of egotistic second-rate slimeball who might get a chuckle out of you, I could see that.😛

And even he's weird. His beard is a different color than his hair.

Bleach blonde goatee... his face would be lost in that blank blurry color. Darker hair on top... maybe it'd make his head too dark. Guess they couldn't decide on a color fitting the whole thing. So they say "screw realism" opted for two, one for a sharply-defined bit of facial hair, the other to indicate seniority.

And dual color weirdness on one's head is something you should be fine with, admirer of 'ron.😜

20 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I got to the last race of sapphire cup expert with four lives and on first place. I thought it was pretty amazing for having just come back to the game.

I choked four times and lost all my lives. Now I am too heartbroken to keep trying.

I've been forgetting to say it, but when you F-Zero, I indirectly partake of your joy and frustrations. Considering I'm no good at all.😉

Also caught my eye when I watched a video of Toy Box.

Now if you excuse me, I want to get that right now.😆

7 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

12 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

So, their loss really.

If I may add my two cents, I dislike the "if you don't try it you might miss out" argument because, by that logic, we should all go play every single Call of Duty right now. Or Fortnite, or the twenty-something Fifas, or the entire Forza Horizon series or the new Gollum game or the infamous ET game on Atari that killed the industry. Because, how can you know whether you'd like them or not without playing them?

Time is a limited resource, and it is impossible for a person to play every videogame that exists in anyone's lifetime, not to mention the money. You need priorities, and some degree of certainty that you'll enjoy the next game you play. So I find it perfectly understandable to drop a series if you've been severely disappointed by the last few releases and have reason to expect the next ones will be the same. I also find it perfectly understandable to drop a game if you're a ways in and still aren't enjoying it - videogames work on loops, they're not likely to magically change or lose whatever problems you have with them if you've already stuck with them for a few hours.

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Adder is the kind of egotistic second-rate slimeball who might get a chuckle out of you, I could see that.😛

He adds a lot to the game.

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Bleach blonde goatee... his face would be lost in that blank blurry color. Darker hair on top... maybe it'd make his head too dark. Guess they couldn't decide on a color fitting the whole thing. So they say "screw realism" opted for two, one for a sharply-defined bit of facial hair, the other to indicate seniority.

The ultimate Dad design.

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And dual color weirdness on one's head is something you should be fine with, admirer of 'ron.😜

Hey now. I've been dissing Heath's design since the dawn of time!

Also who's Ron, it's not hitting me right now lololololol

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I've been forgetting to say it, but when you F-Zero, I indirectly partake of your joy and frustrations. Considering I'm no good at all.😉

Haha, well, if so, I remembered I'd uploaded my run of Ruby Cup with Princia, so I decided to record and upload yesterday's victory also. Super crusty video, Youtube fucking ruins these uploads for some reason, but oh well.

The loop level is fucking insane. There were times it was all I could do just to be able to tell what was happening. Eat your heart out, MK8 anti-gravity. And yet ironically, it was the second easiest level on the cup. Hardest was probably the last one. 14:14 hurt me as much watching it now as it did last night. Funny how Princia was the one who almost snatched victory from me. Girl got a taste of glory a year ago and didn't want to give it up.

...Also, Miss Arrow's expert video is super fucking horny. Like, "I need to minimize this so nobody catches me looking at it" levels of horny. Though I liked the part where her husband gets into a brawl with her gawking fanbase. She could probably handle them better than him, but it's the thought that counts.

25 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Now if you excuse me, I want to get that right now.😆

Of course. Enjoy the coolest mission!

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

The absolute prime example of NISA's incompetence can be shown in the recent Vanillaware releases:

Even VNs are starting to have faster localizations

A;C had less than 15 Months - that's faster than all Falcom translations still lmao

28 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If I may add my two cents, I dislike the "if you don't try it you might miss out" argument because, by that logic, we should all go play every single Call of Duty right now. Or Fortnite, or the twenty-something Fifas, or the entire Forza Horizon series or the new Gollum game or the infamous ET game on Atari that killed the industry. Because, how can you know whether you'd like them or not without playing them?

Time is a limited resource, and it is impossible for a person to play every videogame that exists in anyone's lifetime, not to mention the money. You need priorities, and some degree of certainty that you'll enjoy the next game you play. So I find it perfectly understandable to drop a series if you've been severely disappointed by the last few releases and have reason to expect the next ones will be the same. I also find it perfectly understandable to drop a game if you're a ways in and still aren't enjoying it - videogames work on loops, they're not likely to magically change or lose whatever problems you have with them if you've already stuck with them for a few hours.

+1

31 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Usually that's what Demos are for. Let you sample a game, free of charge and for a short period of time, so you can judge if to proceed or not further with it.

31 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Engage Chapter 11 certainly didn't stop me.