Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

52 minutes ago, Zeo said:

crossover

No. Just no.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I need to write ~25 pages in the next 18 days.

25 pages in 18 days? Meh. I wrote 40 pages in 14 hours.

Edited by Vaximillian

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

@Zeo I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge of the Fates series. I have played a bit of F/GO and recognize Archer.

I like them. They have a very interesting base kit. I have a few questions though.

Magecraft - does the recovery happen every turn like Recover Ring or is it only in the beginning of turn 1? If it’s the former I figure a Renwal 3 effect might be more appropriate as Recover Ring paired with Guard seems like too much.

Unlimited Blade Works - I’m confused here. Is it supposed to function like Glimmer and Astra? Or is it using your attack stat like Draconic Aura and Dragon Fang?

Minds Eye - The wording here throws me off. Does this affect every special or just offensive ones?  Regardless, it seems like overkill to have a cooldown reduction of 2 every turn. With that you could fire of an Aether on the second turn just by not getting hurt in combat the first turn. Alternatively, he can proc Luna every turn. Maybe make it just 1 instead?

Is Lancer the same person as Cu Chulainn by the way? Because if so I’m definitely down to seeing your ideas for him.

@Vaximillian Gotta ask why. Even from an objective standpoint players would eat it up and it would promote both games. (I played F/GO and FEH until my phone broke.) Unless of course you just hate the Fates series.

5 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

@Zeo I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge of the Fates series. I have played a bit of F/GO and recognize Archer.

I like them. They have a very interesting base kit. I have a few questions though.

Magecraft - does the recovery happen every turn like Recover Ring or is it only in the beginning of turn 1? If it’s the former I figure a Renwal 3 effect might be more appropriate as Recover Ring paired with Guard seems like too much.

Unlimited Blade Works - I’m confused here. Is it supposed to function like Glimmer and Astra? Or is it using your attack stat like Draconic Aura and Dragon Fang?

Minds Eye - The wording here throws me off. Does this affect every special or just offensive ones?  Regardless, it seems like overkill to have a cooldown reduction of 2 every turn. With that you could fire of an Aether on the second turn just by not getting hurt in combat the first turn. Alternatively, he can proc Luna every turn. Maybe make it just 1 instead?

Is Lancer the same person as Cu Chulainn by the way? Because if so I’m definitely down to seeing your ideas for him.

Magecraft - It's Recover Ring + Guard actually. I could get behind Renewal 2 actually.

UBW - That's the built in description for Dragon Fang but altered. It's a juiced Dragon Fang in nature with an altered Astra for it's animation.

Mind's Eye - Offensive specials. It's basically a reverse Wrath, but instead of -1 and +10 to damage, it's -2. Which can get silly because it's -2 every single turn if he's above the threshold. In the scheme of things though, he's a Dagger unit which automatically puts him in heavy competition with other units for that spot, and we're still not quite at the level of say... LA!Hector. Now though I want you to think about the fact that Ayra procs her special literally every single combat and then point out this isn't all that different. 

And yes, Lancer and Cu are one in the same, though there are many Lancers, that's the one I'm interested in.

11 minutes ago, Zeo said:

@Vaximillian Gotta ask why. Even from an objective standpoint players would eat it up and it would promote both games. (I played F/GO and FEH until my phone broke.) Unless of course you just hate the Fates series.

The same reasons why no, just no for any kind of alts. The Fire Emblem series still has enough characters to add before they’ll need to draw from outside sources.

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

The same reasons why no, just no for any kind of alts. The Fire Emblem series still has enough characters to add before they’ll need to draw from outside sources.

That, I actually can respect. +1

2 hours ago, Lewyn said:

I'm fully convinced that higher ups that don't work on the game are now calling the shots after that last financial report came out.  Wow Heroes brings hundreds of millions a year, well let's bank on that as much as we can, and be very conservative in our banners.  I mean when this game released, and they didn't know it would be a huge success, they just released new heroes, no alts besides seasonals, even many obscure faces.  You would think that was the time to be conservative. 

That is actually the time to be experimental, collect data on the target market, and figure out what maximizes profits. Being "conservative" at that time frame is not really possible since they do not even know what maximizes profit yet and there is no benchmark to compare things to. Nintendo does not seem like they know what they are doing and are trying out different things (they partnered with Niantic and DeNA for experience/support; all their mobile products generate revenue differently), so I would say they were being quite progressive. Profit maximization does not happen until the company figures out what generates profit and what does not.

Rather than "conservative," I prefer adjectives like "proactive" or "adaptable." When I think of "conservative" businesses, I think of businesses that are slow to change and maybe even dying, the exact opposite of Heroes. The developers engage their customers frequently online, and they most likely pay close attention to the Feedback function in the game too. There is no better way to have customers say "Shut up and take my money!" than to ask them what they want and give it to them.

I would argue that going for more alternates is the exact opposite of being "conservative" because they have not released much alternates outside of Special Heroes Foci, and they are now gathering more data on alternates to have a better idea on how much they would sell if they were not seasonal.

I agree with your hypothesis that someone higher up is directing the development team more closely lately by giving them a direction to pursue (e.g.: releasing more alts than usual and selling Starter Support Packs), but I do not think it is to the point of where upper management calls the shots. The team got plenty of freedom to pursue ideas like Tap Battles and large 8x10 maps, which I doubt has a noticeable effect on revenue.

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

HP: 37 | ATK: 35 | SPD: 36 | DEF: 24 | RES: 28

• Weapon: Bakuya - Accelerates Special trigger -1 (cooldown count-1). After combat, if unit attacked, inflicts Def/Res-7 on target and foes within 2 spaces through their next actions.
  • Special: Unlimited Blade Works (Cooldown: 4) - Boosts Atk by 75% (Astra animation with red effect.)
  • A Skill: Life and Death 3
  • B Skill: Mind's Eye - At start of turn, if unit's HP ≥ 75% and unit's attack triggers Special, grants Special cooldown count-2.
  • C Skill:  SPD Smoke 3

Archer can be built in a variety of ways. As a debuffer, as an archer with Caladbolg II, with a sword if you're into that. Or he can be a burst damage dealer which is what we're going for here. The name of the game is utterly blowing up his opponents with UBW as often as humanly possible. The initial idea was literally doubling Astra's damage percentage. But a 300% increase of say... 2, isn't going to do much. We want a skill that you'd never want to swap out, and so here we are.

The QP seal is there because with the combination of it and his base kit, he'll have his special charged at the beginning of every turn. This also means he can go into battle 1 point away from a charged Aether if you're into that.

That is melee infantry BST right there (160=37+35+36+24+28). Ranged infantry BST would be around 150. However, I do not mind those stats though (Firesweep Dagger when?).

Personally, for now, I would replace Unlim. Blade Works with Luna/Moonbow and Mind's Eye with Desperation. Sustainability is too important for Player Phase units to give up in my opinion since that is their main advantage over Enemy Phase units. However, if they release Desperation as a Sacred Seal, then yeah, his vanilla set is pretty good and I would keep it.

Edited by XRay

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Birthright does have the Venge Katana/Naginata/Club, which had doubled Mt on the enemy phase. Not very useful, and they required an A rank to use. Not as as good as EP Brave effect, but they could bring them in.

I could see them working like an attack version, Fierce Stance version, of Berkut's Lance or inheritable versions of unique refined Parthia if it worked against anyone attacking the user. +7 attack when attacked would be neat. An eventual Fierce Breath would let someone have +11 attack and +1 special cooldown charge or you could just stack Fierce Stance 3 for +13 attack when attacked. I hope we see more weapons like Berkut's Axe, Clarisse's Bow, and Legion's Axe in the future; weapons that belong to people, but can be inherited.

22 minutes ago, XRay said:

That is melee infantry BST right there (160=37+35+36+24+28). Ranged infantry BST would be around 150. However, I do not mind those stats though (Firesweep Dagger when?).

Personally, for now, I would replace Unlim. Blade Works with Luna/Moonbow and Mind's Eye with Desperation. Sustainability is too important for Player Phase units to give up in my opinion since that is their main advantage over Enemy Phase units. However, if they release Desperation as a Sacred Seal, then yeah, his vanilla set is pretty good and I would keep it.

That was an oversight. I thought it was 150, I misread the builder. I fixed it (since hey I can edit my post still!). But I don't see how a standard Moonbow Desp build would be better for him than his default kit. With the QP seal he can proc essentially a juiced Dragon Fang on the first hit. Against quite a few opponents that's probably an instant kill. Even if with LnD3 he's got Bridal Cordelia levels of bulk which is pretty bad.

24 minutes ago, Zeo said:

That was an oversight. I thought it was 150, I misread the builder. I fixed it (since hey I can edit my post still!). But I don't see how a standard Moonbow Desp build would be better for him than his default kit. With the QP seal he can proc essentially a juiced Dragon Fang on the first hit. Against quite a few opponents that's probably an instant kill. Even if with LnD3 he's got Bridal Cordelia levels of bulk which is pretty bad.

My gut feeling is that doubling is generally better than aiming for one hit knock outs.

I ran HNY!Takumi with Dragon Fang ready on his first hit in the calculator and he did pretty well actually. I guess Archer's vanilla set would be pretty good even without Desperation, although I am a bit concerned about his viability against armors and dragons.

Edited by XRay

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

The QP seal is there because with the combination of it and his base kit, he'll have his special charged at the beginning of every turn. This also means he can go into battle 1 point away from a charged Aether if you're into that.

QP is only active at the start of turn 1. Going with your original intention (having the guaranteed special at the start of each turn), there are actually 2 differences between Archer and Ayra:

1. Ayra can still be blocked by Guard or not doubling (rare as both possibilities are), while Archer has no such limitation.
  2. Ayra's special is stupidly strong, but not anywhere near as stupidly strong as what you've intended, by a factor of about 2, in fact. 75% of 54, floored, is +40 damage (contrary to its text, Dragon Fang actually deals damage equal to 50% of the user's Atk). That's insanely overpowered (although, if that's what you were going for, then congrats).

I haven't played F/GO, so unfortunately I can't comment as to how true to their original incarnations they are. Beyond the UBW thing, I like what you've done.

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

All three Konfuzi’s girls do have something in common…

Hide contents

IMG_20180413_112524.jpg

I do not really see what they have in common that stands out.

Thighs? Heels? Ripped clothing? Other artists drew those too though.

13 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

They have an "A" in their name? Or is that they can all be healers at some point in their games? :p

18 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Hide contents

IMG_20180413_112524.jpg

Well tbf L’Arachel isn’t nearly as wrecked as Faye and Nanna. 

22 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20180413_112524.jpg

I can’t seem to see the left picture. All it says there is Firesweep Bow fodder

3 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Well tbf L’Arachel isn’t nearly as wrecked as Faye and Nanna. 

Rachel’s dress is already much shorter than Faye’s and Nanna’s.

24 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

I can’t seem to see the left picture. All it says there is Firesweep Bow fodder

What's that? Someone else is crapping on Faye? Well, don't mind if I do...

Oh good, I'm not only one around here who views her as nothing other than that. And yeah, this what I'm getting for the left picture on my end, definitely.

Spoiler

gai4wlM.png?1

@Zeo Following up on my earlier remarks...just for fun, I tweaked Dragon Fang a little bit, boosting it to 75% and renaming it (the latter of which was purely aesthetic) and gave it to Jaffar (with a +12 Atk Combat Buff to bump him to 54):

Spoiler

kEVYywD.png

I knew it was going to be crazy, but I thought at least one of the armors might live...I think a few of them get 2HKO'd. 2x Distant Def saves 9 bulky armors and Henry (Twisted Mind).

So, I've completed 3/4 of the Thracia banner. Two of those units have great natures, one of them has a very meh nature, but it's workable. Funny enough, the character I wanted most (Reinhardt) hasn't showed up yet. Leif showed up twice, though. If only the first Leif, who was -spd, could have been a Reinhardt instead. Then I'd be done with this banner and able to pull bunnies XD;

@SilvertheShadow

I did mention Olwen gaining more popularity.

It feels wrong to say people are selfish when complaining about alts. It's not wrong to be unhappy that your favourite character got passed over again in favour of alt #50. It is wrong to be mean to other people who like the alts or want the alts, though, but to express your dislike of them is not selfish at all.

I understand why they are there, although I do wish they hadn't come as soon, since it still feels the Morgans or L'Arachel and Myrrh could have carried a banner and allowed a slightly less (but not unduly) popular character like Cynthia or Cormag into their respective banners, and then the alts could have been saved for when much less popular characters were being added.

I can kind of understand Thracia, but I also feel they should have given the lord of the game and Finn - one of the most popular Jugdral characters - a chance to carry the banner. It didn't need two alts (or maybe not even one alt), even if I am happy about the four person style being back and can't complain about an alt of one of my more beloved characters overly. However, that alt could have been saved to again bring in even less popular characters from the series.

That's my opinion, anyway. I still feel it is a bit too soon for alts, but obviously IS feels differently and I'm sort of worn down by it. I'll get the alts of the characters I like, because I might as well, since the majority of my favourites are probably destined to never get in.

12 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

That’s not true at all. Raven can indeed reach S tier on axes. The problem however is that any given playable character, except Athos, can only S rank one weapon and because Raven starts out with swords and doesn’t gain axes until promotion, I imagine most S rank swords instead of grinding wexp on axes.

Fair enough, but since you're likely promoting Raven with a A tier sword level, you would have to basically not use swords at all when leveling up axes.

12 hours ago, SilvertheShadow said:

At this point Heroes has all the “must haves”, in the sense that now Heroes has all the main characters and most of the plot important/fan-favorites in with the Thracia banner.

Now since people tend to complain about blatant powercreep such as Ayra/Sigurd/Christmas units/etc, what IS has been doing is instead make it much more subtle and understated. Heck, I boldly say that prior to the new Reinhardt we haven’t had a powercreep unit since Zelgius. However, no powercreep units usually deters whales, so the safe choice is to include a character with an already established popularity such as Eirika, Chrom, Celica etc. That way, in a corporate point of view, the banner won’t be a potential bust because there’s a guaranteed group of people who’ll truly dive into summoning. 

I like what you're saying SilvertheShadow, but I disagree with you on a few points. 

1.  No Sumia...

2.  Since Zelgius came out, we've had Myrrh, Grima, and Hardin, who are all S tier.