Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 hour ago, Shrimp γ said:

Hmmm

Maybe, mabe not

That's for me to know and for you to maybe sometime find out?

Nah, I'm rather sure Visual Novels aren't my thing, particularly the typical horny ones.😆

Sure I don't mind reading long and saltine-dry history books, but that's not exactly the same. A good story requires a similar but different mindset from a good history, the same kind of mindset that already gets me into trouble with narrative-heavy normal games. That being I'm too gosh darn picky with my mood because I want to enjoy the story, and then I end up wasting my time playing nothing.

That, and I'm too afraid any fictional twists and turns will shake me up too much. Feels that are deeper than the usual entertaining faire, feels with a little more artistic depth to them, might move me towards some serious melancholy. I don't like that. It already happens once in a while with lighter games, such as the portrayal of the fate of Dana's people. Same excuse I use for not watching any artsy Oscar-nominated film.

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That but also Capcom can't legally use the name "Sherlock Holmes" because the estate is really stingy about this. But nobody every said anything about swapping two letters.

I know. (And only in EU'rica? Japan must be looser with the copyright laws or something. I remember seeing news about a Doraemon game subtitled "Nobita's Little Star Wars", no way in galaxies near or far away, would Disney let that go unchallenged on its home continent.)

And it wouldn't be the first historical case of a name scramble, although I'm not sure if legal issues are related to it. The term "Oxbridge" has become common shorthand for Oxford & Cambridge, the two old universities in the English-speaking world. Swirling the two names together first happened in an 1850 novel (there was also the term "Camford" the fictional rival school to Oxbridge, but this mixup never took off).

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Japan must be looser with the copyright laws or something. I remember seeing news about a Doraemon game subtitled "Nobita's Little Star Wars", no way in galaxies near or far away, would Disney let that go unchallenged on its home continent.)

Yes and no, it seems. When it comes to shit that didn't originate in Japan, creators can seemingly do whatever they want. Gainax once made an anime that used Darth Vader as a mech. And of course, JoJo famously uses the names of songs, bands, singers and albums for the names of it's characters and Stands.

But when it comes to stuff that originated in Japan, it's a completely different issue. The first episode of the anime Osomatsu-san had to be pulled because it parodied a bunch of Japanese media but appearently the laws regarding parody are different there.

I'm reminded even Pokémon had to edit one of their many "one-note characters of the day" because it referenced the protagonist of a different anime.

16 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'm reminded even Pokémon had to edit one of their many "one-note characters of the day" because it referenced the protagonist of a different anime.

Do you mean ani-may? Huh? Huh?

*cricket chirps*

Well, so, still finding interest in that Create-a-Hero Thread, I decided to give it a try. So, as someone who only played FEH for the first weeks it was released, my totally partly-blind attempt at a build:

Spoiler

Duo Hero

Movement Type: Infantry
Weapon Type: Blue Tome

(Lv. 40 Neutral Stats)

HP:  36
Atk: 44
Spd: 28
Def: 24
Res: 43
BST: 175

(Weapon)

Might: 15
Range: 2
Effect: At start of combat, if foe's HP ≥ 75%, grants Res+5 to unit and inflicts Res-5 on foe during combat, and also, if foe has Res bonus, grants bonus to unit's Res and inflicts penalty on foe's Res during combat = current bonus on foe's Res. Calculates each stat bonus independently.
[A Blue version of Peachy Parfait basically.]

(Skills)

Duo: Restores 30 HP and grants Atk/Spd+6 to unit and allies within 5 rows and 5 columns centered on unit for 1 Turn.
Assist: Ardent Sacrifice
Special: -----
A Passive: Mirror Impact
B Passive: Rewarp
Unit can move to a space adjacent to any ally within 2 spaces, but receives 5 damage per use.
[Non-inheritable. Like Warp Powder but changing the HP restriction to an HP penalty, in lieu to how spells in SoV work.]
C Passive: Joint Drive Res

Something of a draft. Of course, in the skills section not everything will be there, from what I've seen there's always one or two slots left blank. Already have who in mind, but won't actually add that unless I'm actually posting in that thread.

Okay, time for this to get dismantled into oblivion.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

6 hours ago, Shrimp γ said:

wxxlmohur1z71.jpg

How and why have I never seen this?

Welp, it happened again.
The fourth time a game has managed to make me so emotional that it got the waterworks flowing.
I honestly suspected Blue Reflection Second Light would manage to pull it off, but... I never thought it would happen in Chapter gosh darn 3!

Anyway, let us take it from the top.
The aforementioned chapter 3 was a rollercoaster of emotions, after the previous chapter ended with the big reveal that Shiho's mystery friend was none other than the protagonist of the first game, Hinako, who I consider to be one of my favorite characters in video games, as well as one of gaming's best protagonists (number two after Arnice, for me).
So... imagine what Draggy must have felt when this happened:
D2OWl80.jpg

Yep, Hinako herself actually showed up!
And, just like everyone else who arrived in this world (with the exception of current protagonist Ao), she has absolutely zero recollection of her life prior to coming here. Though Hinako is a special case, which brings me to the reason why this game actually managed to move me to tears this early on.
Because Hinako, unlike everyone else who lost their memories, does not only remember her own name, but the names of two people who are very precious to her: the twin sisters Yuzu and Lime.

Considering the ending of the first game, and everything leading up to that, and what it meant for Hinako, Yuzu, and Lime, Hinako revealing that not even a complete memory wipe can erase her two most precious friends from her mind got me.
I think I may have connected to those three a little too much during the first game

The next dungeon, then, was of course Hinako's (oh yeah, the dungeons that show up actually represent each girl's most precious memories, as well as their emotional states), and it had by far the most stunning visuals so far:
yKTpls1.jpg

This dungeon was split into three parts. The first part (pictured above) housed Hinako's memores of her love and passion for ballet, the second part housed her memories of the despair she felt when she was unable to continue dancing due to her carreer-ending injury (basically, part one and two of this dungeon go more into Hinako's life prior to the first game). And part three, pictured below, then housed what Hinako considers her most precious memories: her time spent with Yuzu and Lime, who brought light back into her world after her injury blanketed it in darkness.
It was already pretty clear during the first game, but having it spelled out so clearly again here almost got me a second time.
JIloeeg.jpg

And at the very end of Hinako's dungeon, what is basically a recording of Yuzu and Lime waits for Hinako, telling her to seek out the real Yuzu, and pleading for Hinako to come "save" the two of them, which she answers in the only way she needs to:
J2QubEh.jpg

As a small aside, this is indeed post-Blue Reflection 1 Hinako. She was not taken from some arbitrary point in that game, but from after it, making Blue Reflection Second Light an actual sequel. The evidence lies in Hinako talking about the first game's final boss' motives.

And... well, to make a long story short, the gang then devises a plan to lure out the real Yuzu, which they manage to do with crepes, of all things, because Yuzu has a sweet tooth, as Hinako knows. And... we do get a reunion between Hinako and Yuzu, complete with a very, very beautiful theme from the first game.
Z92LcI8.jpg

But Yuzu's reaction is not at all what Hinako (or me, really), expected:
ZNuJlZL.jpg

Now, picture this: you form a strong bond with someone who helps you out during a time of emotional turmoil, who is basically solely responsible for making your life worth living again. Now picture that person having disappeared from your life, with little to no hope of you ever meeting them again, but they meant so much to you that not even a complete memory wipe could erase them fully from your mind. And now picture reuniting with this person, whom you never thought you would see ever again, and they do not recognize you anymore.
That is what Hinako basically went through in this scene.
And it opened my waterworks yet again.
Yes, I am weak.

So yeah, turns out that whole memory loss when entering this odd world thing does not make any exceptions (except Ao, apparently), not even for the ones who created it. Because Yuzu and Lime are apparently gods now, with world-creating powers.
Though the memory loss would explain why Yuzu's genki girl traits have completely disappeared.
I do hope they come back, though, I vastly prefer "Dad Jokes" Yuzu over "creepy monotone" Yuzu.

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

XGqkRK7.jpg

Hmm…

A couple more of those and he'll hold up.

(Wendell has the bases for it in fairness)

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Oh man, i really like seeing Obi-Wan and Vader's duel in A New Hope being stripped of it's significance.

Disney dammit.

(If it stays concept art that's one thing. I find it a little worrying someone actually made a point that the line about Vader being more machine now than man could imply he saw Vader since Mustafar, but I'm pretty certain that's not necessary thank you. Then again with Hayden attached to Ashoka's show......)

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

The fourth time a game has managed to make me so emotional that it got the waterworks flowing.

Blues Recollection Fourth Time

I see that gang's getting stuck into you.

@Shrimp γ@Interdimensional ObserverI see what you did there overnight.

FaGBP.png.ec14d4e96ec7248b82215a6de926418f.png

I decided to play Radiant Dawn again, the first time on my Wii U. And I forgot about two essential things: Playing on VC means I have no access to my FE9 save data anymore, so transfer boosts and special conversations / cutscenes are gone for good. Furthermore apparently the option of turning off battle animation is disabled for a first time playthrough. I can only switch to map animations which sucks. I have made it to part three yet in my normal mode iron man (normal because hard is not available in the first playthrough). Only have lost Fiona yet.

Also I received Mario Party Superstarts today. I do not know if someone here owns it, but if so, it would be cool, if we could play together at sometime.

As for Hollow Knight I still am playing it. It took me more time than I expected. Have explored lots of areas yet, but yet have to discover some more.

10 hours ago, Sooks said:

“Merric is bad”

XGqkRK7.jpg

Hmm…

Hey, not bad at all! I mean, he's still way behind Wendell's speed, but that's because Wendel has more speed than every single playable unit except for the ones that join in the final chapter.

No, I'm not kidding. His personal speed base is absurdly high. It just looks a bit worse because he's in a slow class by default.

10 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Are you running an emulator? If so, why are the graphics so... Awful? I know its DS, but i dont remember them being that bad.

To be fair, Merric's portrait is hideous in SD. He got a much needed update in New Mystery for a reason.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

Sooks your PC has a screenshot function.

Not even the PC. Any emulator worth its salt will have a basic screenshot function. Usually it's F12 or F9.

10 hours ago, Sooks said:

Hardin can’t use his Silver Sword? Interesting design choice.

In the original, there was a weapon level stat that was just like any other stat. It applied to all weapon types. In Shadow Dragon, of course, they changed that to the more modern weapon ranks... And for some reason, gave Hardin B lances but didn't change the silver sword thing. Don't ask me why.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

And that is just one of the many examples of Shadow Dragon being way too faithful without taking into account the progression of the series.

...What? What in the world are you talking about, Armagon? This is an oversight derived from Shadow Dragon moving away from FE1's mechanics and implementing modern FE mechanics in their place. If it were "way too faithful", they would've retained weapon level! I know you're not a fan of Shadow Dragon, but this is just plain wrong...

If anything, the real problem here is that they gave Hardin B lances instead of B swords. It has nothing to do with being "way too faithful," it was a simple mistake. And before you say "switch it to a silver lance," giving you a second silver lance this early on would be weird. Makes more sense to give you a silver sword instead... Or, it would, if they hadn't screwed up Hardin's ranks.

10 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's more like an oversight. Since surely it had to have been noticed they gave Hardin a lower Sword rank but coded the Silver Sword to be given like in the original. If they wanted to be faithful, they'd have swapped the Weapon Ranks. But then, higher lance rank is a reference to him eventually wielding Gradivus, so... beats me.

Honestly, they should've just given him B lances and swords. Make him a master of all arms, to emphasize how awesome he's supposed to be.

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

That but also Capcom can't legally use the name "Sherlock Holmes" because the estate is really stingy about this. But nobody every said anything about swapping two letters.

Fun fact: Herlock Sholmes is not Capcom's invention. It's an existing character, from way back in Doyle's time, actually. Maurice Leblanq, the creator of Arsene Lupin, wanted to include Sherlock Holmes in one of his stories as an antagonist to the titular gentlemanly thief. The Doyle state wasn't having any of it, however, so out of sheer spite, Leblanq created a totally original character called Herlock Sholmes. He even made him into a complete, utter moron, if I'm not mistaken.

9 hours ago, Sooks said:

Oh yeah, DSFE is the one everyone complains about looking awful, isn’t it? I don’t really see it, although I’m also using the patch that replaces some models and backgrounds with their FE12 counterparts, so I don’t know if there’s a huge difference there (it didn’t look that way from the comparison screenshots).

You know my opinions are weird and invalid most of the time, but... Honestly, i don't see it either. The only part of DSFE that I agree is ugly are the combat sprites and animations. Everything else is fine. The portraits are cool (cooler in New Mystery, admittedly), the maps are beautiful and the UI is sleek. Shadow Dragon's UI, in particular, is gorgeous.

8 minutes ago, Julizan said:

I decided to play Radiant Dawn again, the first time on my Wii U. And I forgot about two essential things: Playing on VC means I have no access to my FE9 save data anymore, so transfer boosts and special conversations / cutscenes are gone for good. Furthermore apparently the option of turning off battle animation is disabled for a first time playthrough. I can only switch to map animations which sucks. I have made it to part three yet in my normal mode iron man (normal because hard is not available in the first playthrough). Only have lost Fiona yet.

Furthermore apparently the option of turning off battle animation is disabled for a first time playthrough

...Wait...

WHAT

YOU CAN DISABLE ALL ANIMATIONS?

AS IN, YOU DON'T HAVE TO WATCH TITANIA'S MAP SPRITE WHACK ENEMIES FOR 10 HOURS?!

WHY THE FUCK IS THAT NOT A FEATURE IN THE FIRST RUN!?

That was one of my biggest complaints about the game... That it took a million hours to go anywhere...

Also I received Mario Party Superstarts today. I do not know if someone here owns it, but if so, it would be cool, if we could play together at sometime.

Armagon, I believe.

15 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

I feel like i am the only one who doesn't find the Tellius games that slow. Not slower than your usual non-3DS FE anyway

I don't mind their speed at all, RD's style is my favorite of any FE game. PoR's issue is all of their animations are... boring, not slow to me.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

Blues Recollection Fourth Time

XD

20 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

I feel like i am the only one who doesn't find the Tellius games that slow.

Nah, I'm with you.
If any FE feels sluggish, it's the GBA ones.

I think one factor why Tellius might feel a bit slower is because it has way more enemies (and units in general) on a single map than your average handheld FE (which is most of them).

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Shadow Dragon's UI, in particular, is gorgeous.

Yes. Yes, it is.

I actually really like DSFE's art direction as a whole. Just which the unit sprites in combat were a bit more... distinguishable from each other. To say nothing of the map sprites, which look exactly the same, making it sometimes hard to tell which unit is which, if you're using multiple units of the same class, though I think this is a problem that permeates throughout all of pre-Tellius FE.
Or maybe I'm just dumb. I dunno.

And going back to that whole gameplay speed thing, I think the DS games are some of the best in the series in this regard.
And they are just some of the best FEs in general, but that's another thing entirely.

Edited by DragonFlames

12 hours ago, Armagon said:

Oh man, i really like seeing Obi-Wan and Vader's duel in A New Hope being stripped of it's significance.

Well in retrospect their duel in A New Hope was kinda garbage. I started with the prequels so then going back to Vader and Obi Wan awkwardly making their swords touch was kinda rough. 

As for the Obi Wan series itself. I only have one wish.  

Bring back A'Sharad Hett!

34 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

making it sometimes hard to tell which unit is which, if you're using multiple units of the same class, though I think this is a problem that permeates throughout all of pre-Tellius FE.

This sounds true, although FE4 and 5 had the capabilities for unique map sprites for everyone, they didnt use it. (I.E Seliph and Sigurd use different map sprites even though they are both Lord Knights)

7 hours ago, Benice said:

...What?

latest.png?width=334&height=431

"Bohemian Rhapsody is an extremely powerful Stand ability which can affect the entire world and has caused untold chaos. Despite its range and the esoteric nature of its power making it impossible to defend against through conventional means, it can ultimately be defeated by its own power."

"Bohemian Rhapsody is able to bring fictional characters depicted in images into reality through media containing them. Cartoon and anime characters, even works of art and drawings are affected. When one meets a character they like, their souls are dragged into the character's role, taking the appearance and the fate of the character because, as Pinocchio claims, they secretly wish to be able to live their fantasies. The soul and the body of the victim now act independently, as if the person was split; moreover the separation is immediate and almost unnoticeable to the victim. The soul is visible to only other souls and only the soul can use the person's Stand. Although some can be dragged into a happy story, it is especially dangerous to be dragged into a story where the character dies.

The characters are made of the same material they came from, and thus cannot easily be destroyed; shown when the mother goat is simply folded into paper when punched. There is no way to change the course of the story one find themselves in as they are already written.[6] Running away or hiding from the characters is useless as objects will simply unfold like paper that enable the characters to walk through[5] or even teleport.[2] Destroying the fictional character that brought a victim into a story is the only way to return the soul back into the body. The images of characters destroyed in reality don't return to the books and papers they were featured. The only example shown in the manga is after Pinocchio was killed by Narciso Anasui.

The Stand draws power from the original artist's creativity and passion put into the animation, and thus its range is infinite. One may be immune to this ability if they have neither knowledge of the story nor character, but this is difficult due to the number of characters brought to life, as well as the character's ability to act even based on subconscious recognition and drag even unwilling victims like Anasui into the role of the wolf in The Wolf and the Seven Young Kids. Due to this and its worldwide range, it is practically impossible to find and defeat the user.

Despite its tremendous power, it can be defeated through the creation of a fictional character by a talented hand, whose sole role is to eliminate other fictional characters to cancel Bohemian Rhapsody."

Most of the stuff that showed up is public domain although there is a shot where you can see Spider-Man running around.

Oh also

"Bohemian Rhapsody only manifests as a phenomenon and thus has no appearance or personality to speak of. However, the characters brought to life are quite lively, from the jovial dwarfs to the murderous sheep. As the dwarfs mention being fans of The Terminator or Star Wars, the fictional characters also seem to be aware of separate franchises."

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Welp, it happened again.
I honestly suspected Blue Reflection Second Light would manage to pull it off, but... I never thought it would happen in Chapter gosh darn 3!

Blue Reflection: Second Tears.

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

The next dungeon, then, was of course Hinako's (oh yeah, the dungeons that show up actually represent each girl's most precious memories, as well as their emotional states), and it had by far the most stunning visuals so far:
yKTpls1.jpg

This is very reminiscent of the dungeons from Atelier Lydie & Suelle.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

I find it a little worrying someone actually made a point that the line about Vader being more machine now than man could imply he saw Vader since Mustafar, but I'm pretty certain that's not necessary thank you.

He said that in Return of the Jedi tho. Even if he didn't see Vader again until A New Hope, he would make that connection there.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And before you say "switch it to a silver lance," giving you a second silver lance this early on would be weird.

This is the game that wants you to kill off characters to access side chapters.

58 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

I feel like i am the only one who doesn't find the Tellius games that slow. Not slower than your usual non-3DS FE anyway

The battle animations in PoR are very slow tho. Map animations are fine tho.

21 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well in retrospect their duel in A New Hope was kinda garbage. I started with the prequels so then going back to Vader and Obi Wan awkwardly making their swords touch was kinda rough. 

I mean to be fair, A New Hope is very old. I can let some of the more aged things slide.

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

He said that in Return of the Jedi tho. Even if he didn't see Vader again until A New Hope, he would make that connection there.

I have not watched the OT in a long while, I apologise for the error.

Edited by Dayni

Neo Postgame for the first time in a while.

Spoiler

Just tried to fight Neo's superboss again.

I did beat it (Which surprised me as I hadn't played in a while), but I didn't get the drop I was aiming for. So I have to do it again.

FUCK

Edited by Dayni

image0.gif

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

I have not watched the OT in a long while, I apologise for the error.

Understandable.

At any rate, the only way Vader vs Obi-Wan before A New Hope makes sense is if it's just a vision.