The Last Promise

Crimson Red

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving it so far, in chapter 4. One thing that stands out to me is the music. Awesome. What's the music for the Prologue and Chapter 3 Field Map? It's the same and really sounds awesome. I turned the animations off to listen to it. I'm interested if it was custom made or a song from another source modified for the game. I think I should know it, but I can't put my finger on it.

Thanks in advance when/if someone answers.

I also thought this song was great. And I don't know if it's an insert or one of the originals Blazer was talking about, but I like the "close to victory" tune a lot as well.

Yeah, just the Link Arena is in the Extras Menu.

bleh, my bad, I'll fix it later

blazer it's actually really easy to unlock the sound room by default ;/

I'm sure it is

it was sieg getting bashed by howard, he swung twice, and had 5 hitpoints left, that was obviously scripted.

okay so the normal ending, try to use spoiler tags though? please? XP

I was reading the Chapter Requirements page on feshrine and it mentioned something about a Sidequest Guide. I'm guessing that guide has yet to be compiled and/or uploaded. I'd love to see it, as I'm sure I'm missing a few things right now.

Yeah sorry I meant to make it right after but I didn't have enough time

I'll do it uh... later today, I suppose, since it's technically the next day

Dunno if this has been reported yet, but Ch 1 says the Goal is Seize Gate but it's either defeat boss or route in actuality (Not sure which since I killed the boss last and that ended the chapter but)

really? that's so weird... o_O I'll fix it if I see it

@chapter 10 problem same thing >_> though I seriously have no idea what's up... *sighs*

Wait, should I be listening to the music? I usually watch tv/movies at the same time and just mute my emulator >_>

Well, most of the game's non-cutscene music is new, and I DID spend like a 100 hours on it, but if you don't care for music then I suppose it doesn't matter

Beat it.

yeah, but you cheated :|

No gift for you

Hey, Blazer, do you get anything for saving the troubadour prisoners in Ch. 7?

no

the reason why they're there is stupid but it's in the doc in case anyone is interested (though you shouldn't be lol)

@TheVinceKnight

um

should I not respond?

:| Technically speaking you -could- let her die if it's too hard for you to recruit her

and yes Galagar is extremely tough, the second toughest boss in the game IMO

but congrats on even getting that far

I'm sorry that you don't like it though :( I worked so hard on implementing that feature

I also thought this song was great. And I don't know if it's an insert or one of the originals Blazer was talking about, but I like the "close to victory" tune a lot as well.

That one is from FE12, it was ripped from the game and arranged by Agro per request~

I'm glad to know you guys like the original music though, albeit I don't have the resources to have a lot of original songs :|

Oh right. I probably would have been better off letting Rachel die. Oh well. I save everyone.

Galagar ticked me off quite a bit. :/

I beat the final chapter. And boy it was very good.

You finished the game with a bang, as expected.

Storyline wise, nice touch.

Kelik all the way. Kelik gets awesomeness prize for being boss til the end.

BossKelik.png

Too bad he didn't cap Strength. :C

That one is from FE12, it was ripped from the game and arranged by Agro per request~

I'm glad to know you guys like the original music though, albeit I don't have the resources to have a lot of original songs :|

Hah, I wouldn't be too worried about it. For my part, I'm perfectly happy with the original stuff that's there, plus the inserts and the stuff that's straight from FE7.

Chapter 6, i'm getting critted in every -possible- way, and i'm loving this. The game runs smooth and fresh and the lot of work that was spent in this project can be seen.

Imho it shows maturity.

Edited by Asumi

Tamiko 11

Mag 12 Skill 8 Speed 10 Luck 9 Def 6 Res 12

clerics are one of my favourite class and this cutie is a bliss. Btw is there a tier list or any character analysis?

I don't believe in saving every character

In war, people die

If you want to win, be ready to make sacrifices

I also don't believe in "slowly and steadily uppin the difficulty to always match you"

Units' difficulty should change depending on what unit they're in, their rank, etc.

E.g. In chapter 23 you're still fighting Magnus's basic units/grunts

Then in 25 you fight imperial soldiers

Naturally the latter are going to be a lot stronger, plot-wise it's the only thing that makes sense

Also your Tamiko is kinda screwed, yeah

@Secrets and secret shops, those will be posted later, there are plenty of them, it'll take some time though...

@L1049 and Asumi there's still room for improvement but thanks, I'm glad that the hard work at least shows even if it's not completely successful

Also there are no tier lists or character analysis yet, I have other priorities, and I honestly am going to have to do a lot more testing and research before I go making statements on how good or bad or useful characters are :|

Okay, I'll write a review of the game as it is.

Keep in mind, this is not bashing, hating, or anything of the like.(If you want to see that, look up Bioware's Mass Effect 3 boards.) Although I admit, I'm a bit blunt.

Also be warned, upcoming are spoilers.

[spoiler=Game review]

I'll start by saying that overall, it's a fun game to play. But truth be told, the game was more fun before we knew the actual reasons for the war and the forces behind it. After that, it seemed a little silly.

1. The whole reason Etruria/Magnus wants to slaughter the entire continent is because a Lycian/Valencian caught a disease and figured the last King of Etruria/Magnus could cure him. And in turn, he caused this plague to spread and killed the parents and siblings of King Louis and all of the generals.

Review: So the whole reason Etruria/Magnus is pulling their own version of the Third Reich is because of an epidemic just because the first person infected was Lycian/Valencian. Overall that's a pretty weak reason when it could have started with anyone. Overall, it makes them all look like they have no common sense to speak off just so he could have a war.

2. Kelik's backstory. In an attempt to stop the plague, they decided to burn down the forest the man lived in/traveled through just because he had been there and they sent Leon, Kelik's brother, to do it and kill anybody who is possibly infected because he has a magic sword that makes him immune. One of the people happened to be Kelik's best friend, Kain. And Kelik had a front row seat to the event.

Review: Kelik is apparently Valencian as the game says, which would mean that Leon is too. So why would a prejudicial nation have a foreigner as a senator/nobleman? Also why spare Kelik when he's a potential carrier for the disease as well? The game makes it out so that Leon is a completely evil bastard(with no reason why) that hates his brother. Yet he spared him. Also why just burn the forest? If they're destroying places just because the first carrier had been there, they'd have to burn down the Etrurian/Magnian palace and any villages he passed on the way as well. Leon also had no character development to speak of and yet was one of the final bosses.

Fun Fact: Both Kelik and Leon are adaptations of Lowe Leonhardt from The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the sky. Blazer made me create Kelik's new sprite based on Lowe's likeness. And Leon has part of his name, as well as the same moniker, "The Sword Emperor," although it makes more sense with Lowe because he actually WAS an Emperor.

3. Lahar: A sorcerer who uses Ether to reanimate dead corpses. He's also Nergal's replacement. That's about all I can say about him.

Review: This guy is supposed to be the game's main antagonist. But what you say is literally all you can say about him. No past, no motivations besides "I'm an evil jerk and I'm gonna do bad things." He kills Siegfried, steals his body and reanimates it using his own ether(quintessence equivalent) and Siegfried turns around and kills him. At least with Nergal, we already knew his backstory and reasonings. It seems like a lot of Tactics Universe/The Last Promise was broken when Blazer took the Elibian elements out of it.

4. Siegfried's "promise": This is the basis for the entire game's title. So when Magnus invaded, Siegfried was the only one who wanted to fight them and Magnus sent assassins to kill his family. They got Lily, and Siegfried had a bad injury shielding Shon. In her dying breaths, Lily made Siegfried promise two things. First, she wanted him to save her homeland, Magnus, and second, protect Shon.

Review: That's a very tall and unreasonable order. She's asking the man she is supposed to love to singlehandedly wage a war, and at the same time, keep their son safe. The first one is very impractical, most loving wives would want their spouse to be safe and happy, not risk their lives to fight a war for someone else's benefit. His promise to protect Shon was more reasonable, though juggling both promises is what got Siegfried killed. Not to mention the whole "keeping a promise" thing came right out of the ending of Tales of the Abyss.

5. The new setting: So Elibe is now Solum, and Lycia/Valencia, Etruria/Magnus, Sacae/Atheya, Illia/Alicia, Ostia/Aegis, Pherae/Regalia, Caelin/Yulia, etc. There's also a lot of lore renames. One of which is Hanon being renamed to Korra(avatar reference, and Blazer even genderbended(lol fitting pun) like IS did.)

Review: It seems like removing the Elibian aspects broke a lot of the story as the new setting and stuff seems rushed and not well thought out. Tactics Universe was made FOR the Elibian lore, so removing Elibe caused a lot of problems.

Okay. I think that's enough abuse for one post

Edited by The Illusive Man

^The growths in this game are higher than most FE's

Characters are more likely to cap more stats in general and on average than say, FE7

in other words, it's not all that abnormal though your Ace is skill-screwed

Edited by Strawhat Luffy

right, well, i finished it and i have few (nit-picky) issues and a review type-thing thats mostly me complaining

[spoiler=Biased rant and summary of plot]

So, the game starts up with a bunch of backstory that isn't really used later, and the main plot is Siegfried had assassins sent after that actually killed his wife and injured him enough to practically cripple him, Lily (the wife) makes him promise her that he will save Magnus and protect Shon (his kid), afterwards (or before i can't remember which the plot said) some guy carrying the plague goes into Magnus and accidentally spreads it around while looking for a cure, the Magnians find this offensive and order his home (a forest) burnt down. Later, Magnus' king Louis seeks "peace" so he massacres everything, Siegfried and son barely manage to escape, and decide to start a rebellion (unluckily enough to be the only rebellion so they go with "Solum's Rebellion" because why not sound like some sort of pro-green activist group) so, after reclaiming chapter 10 Valencia, Siegfried and son proceed to get captured, Siegfried scatters the rebellion and tells them to wait. Some time after, Anakin, a literal vagrant who was rescued from imprisonment by Siegfried's group decides to restart a rebellion to try and save Siegfried. Kelik the over-powered original character a swordsman leading the equally-pretentiously named Legend Mercenaries, finds out that Siegfried has been captured decides to go and help out Anakin. Anakin and friends manage to free Siegfried while Magnus continues to be two dimensionally evil try and control the rest of the continent. Anakin and co. (after loosing Siegfried) continue on with the rebellion and eventually are able to kill the rest of the snidely whiplash mustache-twirling senators and king of Magnus, however the main bad guy without any sort of motivation shows and tries to resurrect Siegfried, who ends up killing him. (oh and there's some stuff about kelik and his brother wanting to kill each other because they can) Siegfried then re-states all of the earlier stuff about what he promised Lily because the main plot of the game should always show up in the last chapter and reveals to Shon that he is half Magnian which no one is surprised by after being killed by either Kelik, Anakin, or Shon who even though it says you can't deploy him it doesn't let you deselect him Siegfried has Shon make a promise to him as well (a good one since we never get to hear about it).

THE END

So i'm not sure where to start with this, the 'main plot' is explained in it's entirety in the last chapters, the Magnians are treated as though just being from there means they are completely evil, and the character descriptions really didn't reflect the character that well.

Corben seemed needlessly hostile to Shon after Shon soloed the first map (becuz he's much mor mature gaiz) so you have to battle him for the right to go with Siegfried. Siegfried irked me somewhat, he's supposed to be the worldly knight even whens he flirts with the majority of the female characters in the prologue. Shon and Anakin were fine in my book, even though it seemed like you (Blazer) tried too hard to make them contrast with Siegfried and Kelik, respectively.

Kelik, i hated you)r character) so much, he has an annoyingly self-righteous and " 'holier' than thou" mindset attitude, when he isn't giving everyone else crap, (he even had the gall to give Itsuke crap when he wanted vengeance against magnus and told him to his face "what makes you so special") but it turns out he actually hates needless killing because he is such a deep and interesting character. he is also ridiculously over-powered because he is blazer's OC why not

EDIT!!!!!!: OKAY. I'm stupid. So AS SOON as I saved it normally, I restarted the game to see if something worked. After I got to the loading part, I hit, Restart Chapter on the Chapter 11 save, and it worked. IF YOU ARE USING A PSP, USE THIS METHOD. It SHOULD WORK.

The Last Promise_0.svs.zip

Edited by Kisume

THe games wonderful, and Corben/Gordon is a bro.

Small problem-

Going to ch5x results in the game reverting to your older Tactics universe style, and Tamiko looses her custom sprite, Corben becomes Gordon, etc and the map design changes.

Aside from that, the games pretty good, and Sieg is basically Sigurd with Myyrh growths.