How many players actually care about turn count?

I didn't try to get the lowest turn count.

If I have to waste 10 turns to get a unit(ever a useless unit) or to get 1 items, then so be it.

Getting all units, collect all items, unlock support convo, unlock boss convo, unlock pair ending etc etc ,is more important than turn count.

But waste turn to exp grinding is a no no, it's break the game.

Edited by Jimmy_Smith

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the point in unlocking Hard Mode? I mean, there's no reward for playing Hard Mode.

What's the point of posting on an internet forum? What's the point of learning? What's the point of eating? What's the point of breathing?

Basically, fuck nihilism.

Well, when you beat the game, you see your turns. So that's your motivation.

In Awakening, you get to see your turns as soon as each map is over, even. So there you go, the game wants you to rack up those low turns and prove you're strrrrrong.

Low turn counts are horrible things to think about. Only tier-list players and drafters care about them and they are the kind of people who will berate you for not exploiting a .05 second opening in fighting games as well. I am not that kind of person, and I do not care about turn counts in the slightest.

I just want my A rank Tactics, or in Tellius maximum BEXP. But here's one thing people don't seem to get; people who play LTC? They play that way because they enjoy it.

I like doing lowturns once in a while to challenge myself tactically. But even normally I'd go for casual efficiency because I don't see the point in dawdling and if a character requires babying they're not worth my time. Not gonna force myself to fit some shitty unit on to my team of already capable units because they end up capping 5 stats by a level they'll never reach in my playstyle, especially if there's like, 5 chapters left. Maybe if they have a really cool personality or something. But there hasn't been one that actually impressed me enough as a character for me to consider babying.

I'd rather just read supports documented on SF. It's faster that way and I don't have to press A a million times.

Edited by Zhuge Liang

LTC seems to be popular because most players are experienced enough that only the hardest modes provide any challenge, so they look for self-imposed challenges. Turn count is the easiest resource to minimize, while still providing room for discussion.

Personally I don't bother with it except in drafts, or when there's an in-game reason for it.

If I feel like doing a support run, I'll dawdle. Support scripts don't capture sprite movement and facial expressions.

Otherwise, I decide who I want to train, and adapt accordingly.

Personally, I find absolute low turns needlessly restrictive. I much prefer it when games are challenging enough on their own and provide incentives for reasonable increases in speed. When enemies are aggressive enough and threatening enough, you have to use your time effectively and skillfully without needing to worry about such excessive restrictions. For this reason, I no longer see much appeal in the GBA FEs.

I skip plenty of turns for fast supports, I couldn't care less for turn counts.

Indeed, nothing is "fast" about support conversations. I don't care about turn count, since I really don't have the desire to brag about it. But I don't find it fast. At the end of both FE 7 and FE 8, my support conversations' percentage were at 5% or 6% complete. Some of it is probably because I don't bring everyone, but most of it is because I cannot stand skipping so many turns in one battle.

FE8's support library is easier to fill up since everyone can be recruited every playthrough and, barring Rennac/Tethys who have the only 80-turn support in that game, the most you have to wait for a support is 40 turns.

• 2 weeks later...

I go for turns if I have a specific reason to, like drafts or ranking, both of which I've enjoyed doing in the past. Otherwise I don't worry about it too much, though I almost never just screw around anymore and will finish a map in a reasonable time-frame.

Low turn counts are horrible things to think about. Only tier-list players and drafters care about them and they are the kind of people who will berate you for not exploiting a .05 second opening in fighting games as well. I am not that kind of person, and I do not care about turn counts in the slightest.

Oh, Snowy. Snowy, Snowy, Snowy.

I like playing for turns since just beating the games normally no longer really provides much of a challenge, and i've done all the ranked runs sans fe5 too

plus i must vanquish the great evil that is shin

I like playing for turns since just beating the games normally no longer really provides much of a challenge...

Horace put this perfectly. Playing for turns is just something do after roflstomping the game once or twice in "freeplay" or w/e you wanna call it, mode.

plus i must vanquish the great evil that is horace

This

I used to play casual efficiency until I started drafting. Now even in my first playthrough of an FE, I play for turns ;_;. I do not know how to play casual anymore.

Why is this still a big deal.

THere are those that enjoy it and those that don't.

And, there are those that whine about it, because apparently they don't want to know how Nino/Ewan/Sophia<MArcus/Seth/PErcival.

I tried it a few times over some of the Fe games, I didn't find it as fun as going through regularly/somewhat efficiently. I'm not going to warpskip every chapter post 16 on Fe5 because where's the fun in skipping everything?

I've got a million games I own but haven't played for me to be playing through all the Fe games too many times. I love the series, my favorite game series ever, but I can't fathom playing only for lowest turncounts dozens of times.

Edited by Davinatorman