Fire Emblem: Exalted Legacy

Arch

Name her Elise

I'm not picky regarding whether or not you stick with the localized name or a fan one.

Edited by eclipse

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*kai-da, much as using the Latin pronunciation of Caesar, which her localized name references, gives kai-sar, or 'kaiser'

I pronounce it "Kah - Eh - Da", personally. I thought you pronounced everything in Latin...

You are getting it wrong.

"Caesar in latin" is pronounced "Ches- Ar", the same "ches" you'd say in "chest", "chestnut", or whatever.

Caeda is not bad.

You have to see if you want to be loyal to the japanese original name or the overseas translation. Would Sheeda be that horrible?

Edited by Alfred Kamon

You are getting it wrong.

"Caesar in latin" is pronounced "Ches- Ar", the same "ches" you'd say in "chest", "chestnut", or whatever.

Caeda is not bad.

You have to see if you want to be loyal to the japanese original name or the overseas translation. Would Sheeda be that horrible?

So Caeda is pronounced 'Chesdar' (or, 'Chesda')?

...Chester?

Edited by L95

"Cae" is NOT pronounced "che" in Latin. I dunno where on earth that came from. It's pronounced "Kai" like was said earlier and you can see that in the german word "Kaiser" (corruption of Caesar).

That said Caeda is fine.

EDIT: thinking about it, he's probably mixing up Latin and Italian, in which Caesare is pronounced "Ches-ar-e"

Edited by Silvercrow

So Caeda is pronounced 'Chesdar' (or, 'Chesda')?

...Chester?

Lol L95, we're making a mess with all these edits. Let's just leave the posts as they were. *fixed*

Well, it's not like that. Maybe I explained badly, I'm sorry.

I simply don't know how to render it in English properly.

Caes = Ches

ar = ar

This because ae in latin = e

and oe = e

I checked google translate and it says "Ka-è-sar" for Caesar's pronounce, but it's terribly wrong from what I know.

So Caeda in latin would be Che-da.

But I think it was an attempt to make it sound like "Shiida" in English. Something like, you know, "See-da".

"Cae" is NOT pronounced "che" in Latin. I dunno where on earth that came from. It's pronounced "Kai" like was said earlier and you can see that in the german word "Kaiser" (corruption of Caesar).

How?

At least it would be "Ka- e" but "Kai"? Never heard of, honestly, or at least that's how latin is taught here.

And I could say, that's how "Cesare" comes from in Italian. And it's not a corruption.

Edit:

Ok, I've done some researches, just to make sure.

The pronounce changed from the First Century, mostly because of the Church's influence and some reforming in the Empire.

Till then, it was pronounced "Kàesar". Don't say it like in English because it's not "Kai-sar", it's "Ka- è- sar". Not e=i.

Then like I said earlier, every ae and oe were read like "è".

And that's how it was taught in schools and how people continued speaking latin for 1800 years.

Which means that Ceasar himself would say "Ka-è-sar", but we have always said "Che-sar" after that.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

How?

At least it would be "Ka- e" but "Kai"? Never heard of, honestly, or at least that's how latin is taught here.

ae is a single phoneme in latin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86

In Classical Latin, the combination AE denotes the diphthong [ai̯], which had a value similar to the long i in fine as pronounced in most dialects of modern English.

Someone that actually learned Latin like Lumi can no doubt explain it better than I can, but as far as I'm aware the sound "Ch" was hardly ever made in latin, ever, and only surfaced in later languages like Italian and French that were based on corruptions of latin (like Carolus Magnus -> Charlemagne etc).

I've studied latin as well for more than five years.

Please read the edit of my previous post.

Your own quote refers to "Classical Latin", not "Latin".

Also, here:

http://it.forvo.com/...aesar_augustus/

If you play the first entry, you hear how it was pronounced till the first century.

If you play the other two, from the first century to nowadays.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Latin is easy, you pronounce every letter.

So, I was right to read her name "Kah - Eh - Dah".

If you consider classical latin yes, but it's not the latin which is spoken since two thousand years and which is currently taught in every school. We have tons of important authors who lived in the Empire as well which use latin instead of classical latin.

So you may be right, but that pronounce is really old and unused, since it's part of classical latin.

Apart from that, I don't know why you want to read Caeda in classical latin to begin with.

IIRC Caesar in English is pronounced like "See-sar" or something similar, which would make Caeda "See-da" which is very similar to "Shiida".

Look Arch, you got your arguing.

Whyyyy is there a very large debate about the pronunciation of Caeda taking place here? I don't ever remember Arch asking people to decipher the proper way to say the name and latin.

Enough derailing the thread with debating how to pronounce a name, latin, and whatever else and get back on topic.

Whoever wants to be bold and post another derailing reply will find themselves the winner of a fresh, new warning.

Cheers~

It certainly would make Doga better early on. Caeda, too, though I doubt she needs to be any better.

Also (I feel like this has been asked, but I can't remember, and I don't want to look through 24 pages of posts), is Caeda going to have the wing spear again?

Edited by bottlegnomes

That would be interesting.

...And there are even animations for it :E

:E

although, if memory serves, this is more based on FE11, than of FE1, so I'm going to guess that probably won't happen anyway, since Ray made a FEDS armor knight, as well.

also I see no reason why she wouldn't get the wing spear, so I assume yes?

That would be interesting.

...And there are even animations for it :E

There animations for axe armors too.

If Roger is going to be in the game, I think he should use axes so he can stand out from Draug.(and if Draug is going to have lances and swords, Roger should have bows too)

Would Sheeda be that horrible?

Yes. We have two official localisations for names to work off of. Shiida is the alternative being discussed here.

:E

although, if memory serves, this is more based on FE11, than of FE1, so I'm going to guess that probably won't happen anyway, since Ray made a FEDS armor knight, as well.

also I see no reason why she wouldn't get the wing spear, so I assume yes?

Arch said that he's leaning more towards FE 3 book 1 as a base, but I still think he should give peg knights swords and lances, and armor knights could get two weapons(lances and swords for Draug, and axes and bows for Roger, like I suggested before),the GBA knight animations should work just fine(unless Ray feels like making FEDS knight animations for swords, axes, and bows)

Edited by RayDavid99

Arch said that he's leaning more towards FE 3 book 1 as a base, but I still think he should give peg knights swords and lances, and armor knights could get two weapons(lances and swords for Draug, and axes and bows for Roger, like I suggested before),the GBA knight animations should work just fine(unless Ray feels like making FEDS knight animations for swords, axes, and bows)

I'm not sure that Sword/Lance Pegasus Knights are going to happen, but I thought I'd already confirmed Lance/Axe Armorknights. I find it silly that mounted units get two weapons, but Knights get lower movement and lance locking.

I am leaning towards FE3 Book 1 as a base, yes, with some additions from FE11, and a lot of additions of my very own.

I'm not sure that Sword/Lance Pegasus Knights are going to happen, but I thought I'd already confirmed Lance/Axe Armorknights. I find it silly that mounted units get two weapons, but Knights get lower movement and lance locking.

I am leaning towards FE3 Book 1 as a base, yes, with some additions from FE11, and a lot of additions of my very own.

I think pegasus knights should have swords that they can survive multiple battles against axe users on the enemy phase.

I am glad that knights get multiple weapons though.(Now they can choke points even more effectively!)

Will generals get swords and/or bows?

EDIT: Yo if anyone happens to come across this, I would like to note that past me's peg knight logic is stupid.

Edited by DavidSW