Mafia Headquarters V4

Kaoz

Has anyone here read the Night Watch series by Sergei Lukyanenko? I had a really cool idea about mechanics for a game based around it, but it'd be pretty experimental, so I feel like I'd need someone to plan stuff out with.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Planning a 10p Duelist Kingdom Mafia. Was gonna roll it with Helios but if he's not here then Rollin it solo.

Also, ITTD mafia can kick the curb, I'm not able to balance that game

I'm not sure why Balc hasn't put up sign ups yet, but I kind of think we should let Touhou get down to at least under 15p before we start another game.

I have a horrible idea for a game. Spectral Force Genesis Mafia, 12 players, on the idea queue. Should be ready for the regular queue in a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

[18:51] <@Manix> actually i might just release the previous mystery 2 setup in hq

[18:51] <@Manix> y/n?

[18:51] <SB> might as well

[spoiler=setup notes]daystart

modified hammer game

mylo/lylo not announced

Town:

6 vanilla town

tracker

vengeful

1-shot RB/1-shot BG

SG

Mafia:

Watcher

Oracle

3rd parties:

Heretic: Self-aligned, can kill each night. Kill outprioritizes maf kill. Once they have killed one person, they automatically become a cult leader. This role PM flips (but doesn't indicate the rolechange) when they become CL (Laura). They will be aware of the flip.

Laura: Actress Cult Leader, aligned with The Following. Culted lose their roles and become cultists. Culting protects the target from being killed that night. Cannot self target with culting ability. Actress ability targets another person (can be the same as the culting action), learns their role, and scans to investigations as the last target of this ability.

Stavis (Travis): Initially townsided. Has a BPV. If the heretic role PM flips, he gains a nightkill and becomes an inquistor (ala the first mystery mafia)(The Secretive). Cannot be protected from nightkills. Will be aware as town that he may gain a killing ability depending on circumstances. Kill can be roleblocked. Recruit the target if kill fails for any reason. Recruited people lose abilities.

all antitown factions win when they achieve parity/etc, town wins when they're all eliminated

honestly don't expect town or mafia to win by the nature of the setup, but mafia probably have a better chance than town because of a nightkill

scrapping this setup, because while in flavor it would have been awesome, the setup itself would swing too hard because of cult + at least 1 nightkill, maybe two.

edit: added more clarity because there were things i thought of and forgot to add to the notepad file

Edited by Manix

so

i'm throwing this game on the ideas list

Multifaction Shitfest - Manix, SB (16)(bastard mod game)

[spoiler=relevant logs][23:34] <@Manix> bastard game idea: 8 2 man scumteams that share a meeting with another scumteam. not aware of who their actual partner is.

[23:34] <@Manix> +bastard roles

[23:36] <@Manix> doesn't it sound bastardy though?

[23:36] <SB> so bastard

[23:36] <SB> you should put in one vanilla town

[23:36] <SB> ff

[23:36] <SB> *gg

[23:37] <@Manix> caught in the crossfire

[23:37] <SB> would there be any townies

[23:37] <@Manix> clearly they must be... town compulsivejanitorvig

[23:37] <@Kuroz> it should be a survivor

[23:37] <SB> *town compulsivesacrificaljanitorvig

[23:37] <@Manix> no wait

[23:38] <@Manix> town compulsivejanitorweakvig death miller

[23:38] <@Manix> perfect

[23:38] <SB> but he self jans

[23:38] <SB> SCANS AS MAFIA TO CORONER

[23:38] <@Manix> no reveal actually

[23:38] <@Manix> even better

[23:39] <@Manix> that would be downright cruelty

[23:39] <@Manix> also parity ties between paired scumteams result in a draw

[23:40] <@Manix> unless one can block the other or something

[23:40] <@Manix> yolo i'm gonna make a setup around this

[23:41] <SB> i'll comod :p

[23:41] <@Manix> this would be a total shitfest

[23:42] <@Manix> it's basically multifaction noc with bastard elements

[23:42] <@Manix> a recipe for disaster

(note: there will be no third parties or townies)

edit: this is going to be horrible. hold onto your hats

Edited by Manix

potentially good/bad idea i thought of over yesterday[spoiler=game idea]Modular Open/Semi-Open setup, for 4 or more players (up to wherever).

All players start as town/mafia vanilla.

During N0, mafia may pick roles from a list (provided below), or choose to remain as vanilla mafia. If they pick a power role, town will be given some predetermined power roles based on the mafia's decisions, plus up to one additional power role per mafia power role, at a 50/50 chance, randomly chosen from a given list.

Mafia cannot pick the same power role twice.

Mafia will always comprise of one quarter of the playerlist, rounded to the nearest divisor of four. When the case occurs that a number is a factor of 4 + 2 (4x+2), it rounds up. (eg: 10 players (4*2 +2), would round up to 3 mafia from two and a half.)

After mafia makes their role choices, random town vanillas will be assigned power roles. Any town vanilla that isn't assigned a power role remains as a vanilla.

At least one town vanilla will exist after mafia role choices, regardless of all other setup creation rules.

If any non-limited town power role is rolled twice by mafia choices, a backup version of the rolled power role will be generated instead of the same power role. The backup will be aware they are a backup.

N0 is only for mafia to make their role choices. No other actions are performed on N0, however game thread talk will be enabled that night.

Mafia cannot use their factional kill N1 if D1 starts as a standard MYLO (to guarantee town has a mislynch)

Any killing role cannot get kills while it is LYLO or a variant thereof.

The only roles in the game are listed in the spoiler. Any role outside of that is guaranteed not to be in the game. No role will have a potential modifier outside of 1-shot.

The format in the spoiler is {Mafia PR: Town PR's}. If Mafia PR is picked, the respective Town PR's assigned to that particular role are added to the Town PR pool. Every Mafia PR also randomly gives a 50/50 chance that one additional PR from the "Randomized Roles" section in the spoiler is rolled. If a Mafia PR is picked, there will be a minimum of one role selected from the "Randomized Roles", unless the guaranteed "one vanilla town" rule is violated.

[spoiler=Role Choices](Track/watchninjas are not seen on the respective tracker/watcher reports, and strongman/janitor must take the factional kill in order to activate their abilities. Strongman is unlimited. Janitor is non-consecutive nights.)

Godfather: Cop, 1-shot doc

Trackninja: Tracker, 1-shot watcher

Watchninja: Watcher, 1-shot cop

Strongman: Doc, 1-shot tracker

Janitor: Cop, 1-shot tracker

Hooker: Doc, 1-shot watcher

Interceptor: Tracker, 1-shot cop

Witch: Watcher, 1-shot doc

All vanilla mafia: One 1-shot cop/doc/tracker/watcher per mafia, chosen at random. Duplicates are possible.

[spoiler=Randomized Roles]One-shot: Cop/Doc/Tracker/Watcher/Vig/Roleblocker/Bulletproof

Unlimited: Roleblocker/Decoy/Bodyguard/Bomb/Sidekick

All one-shot roles except bulletproof may be duplicated. Unlimited use roles cannot be duplicated, nor will backups be created. If roles cannot be duplicated are rolled more than once, ignore all rolls past the first.

[spoiler=initial context]basically my original idea was "well i want mafia to pick and choose their power, and town's power directly correlated to their choices." i initially just had godfather, trackerninja, watchninja and strongman, but decided to expand it. when mafia picked a certain role, it meant that it would be a guaranteed counter to one of the town PR's rolled. the premise was that mafia could choose whether it was a scumhunt with roles, and the night game was important, or scumhunt with very limited night actions, making it a more skillbased day game.

the expansion started with janitor. now, since the other four roles have the potential to be much stronger then the initial four, they received more counters to them. the risk would be ever-present if mafia chose the stronger roles.

then another thought came up: what if mafia chose pairs of roles that produce the same fulltime PR? obviously it would potentially confuse town and possibly have town lynching in cc's, when they should be working together. if town figured that out, certain duplicate pairs (watcher pair, doc pair) would work far too well together should the counterrole be lynched early. hence, i chose to make the second role a backup instead. sure, backup would probably claim straight away to establish which mafia roles were rolled, but that choice is on the mafia.

so yeah. if anyone has suggestions/comments/whatevs, would be appreciated. this could potentially be run as a filler game repeatedly, just capping signups at 9 players.

edit: slowly changing based around comments, will keep editing this until it reaches the final iteration

suggestions on how2remove rng could also be nice

Edited by Manix

1. Someone add Semi-Precious Mafia to the Small queue (11).

2. Healer Mafia modification - eclipse's dad added to hosting (he's technically not hosting, but he did add a nice little modification to the game, so I feel he deserves some credit for it)