Mafia Headquarters V4

Kaoz

eclipse do you talk about mafia at family dinners or something

I imagine they play mafia at family dinners

My dad could probably kick everyone's ass at mafia, and he'd still be bored (he kind of does this for a living). He gave me a wonderful idea for Healer Mafia, which has since been implemented.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

##vote: eclipse's dad

Why would a townie have the ability to make scum return innocent results?

Not his fault that the investigative roles are that incompetent!

I'm back from hiatus but I probably won't be around much. I want to host the games I planned on hosting, I can do that when I'm at school as long as I have a co-host but I can't play mafia when I'm in school. I'm still not in a good state mentally, sorry for the fuss before.

Alright, update on Shin Megami Tensei mafia:

Its a 14 player, Bastard, anonymous game. Mancer and I have finished half the role PMs, but Mancer is nowhere to be seen since April, so I dunno what to do with the setup. He's supposed to be the mod of this game, but I dunno if it'd be fair if I just hosted this thing anyway.

Also the game has been checked by Boron and Levity, but if anyone thinks setup's supposed to be checked anyway, they're welcome to do so. Any suggestions?

Considering adding in a requirement in my future games, in which during nights, players must submit a "I am caught up the most current post of the game" in order to complete night phases and require 75% of living players to submit this before proceeding to the next Day phase.

Is this an unrealistic expectation?

Edited by Elieson

bandaid fix at best

edit: if people don't wanna be active they aren't gonna be active, the best you can do is try to prevent them from signing up in the first place

Edited by Paperblade

there's also the case where people are caught up and just not posting

i know i usually am but have trouble vocalizing (or typing whatever the hell that is) my thoughts or i just don't really have things to add to the current arguments besides pull a new target out of my ass so i'll just not post but i do read everything

it's kinda annoying when people only post to say how busy they are though

i'd rather prefer people not signing up or as subs if they know they're gonna be busy the next few days

I think (as Psych mentioned, and as I've observed recently) some people are having issues with vocalizing themselves, on top of irl getting in the way. This is especially true for the mafia; it feels like some players when they're mafia get scared or overthink their responses to the point that they post less. I have this problem a lot, even when I'm in a good place in the game/mafia's in a good position.

It's easy to say "if you're not going to play don't join," and sometimes I say that to people too, but it becomes almost habitual: join a game, say to yourself "THIS is the game I'll be more vocal," get yelled at for fucking up/roll scum/some other intimidating situation happens, get discouraged, fall out of activity, feel too guilty to sub out. This happens at other places I played when I watched, I don't know how often this happens here since I haven't been here but it might be true for some of the new/quieter players. Other times I'll just fall behind and then get too lazy to catch back up so then I give half-ass play/become less active. idk.

I don't know any solutions to the activity problem since unfortunately there's always going to be someone inactive, I think. But maybe ask some of the players who tend to stop posting why they do that? Why do you bother joining games without posting? Besides the ones with more obvious/straightforward problems like internet issues.

I think the only time I went inactive was in C9++ and that was when I lost pretty much my entire scumteam and pretty much gave up.

EDIT:OH there was those anonymafias where I couldn't read people at all

those sucked

Edited by Essbee

I don't know how to resolve some of the more persistent cases of inactivity, and I fear it might lay at the mod's feet to deal with. However, I can think of a few steps that players can take to deal with the problem of more widespread inactivity at least.

I agree that intimidation can be a factor, and people going out of their way to prompt new or quiet players could help them post more. The standard scumhunting technique of asking "What do you think of X?" can also provide a player with a lot of direction, and as long as you're explicit about where your scumreads are I think it's reasonable to ask that even of an inactive townread. It prompts opinions and ideally encourages or facilitates more content from everyone in the game.

Being polite is also very important, in relation to the above paragraph and in general. I would wager that every time someone is unnecessarily wrung out in thread it makes others less inclined to participate. Attack the idea (respectfully if you can manage it), don't attack the person, etc. I feel like I've seen more hostile activity around here recently and it's not something I take lightly.

And then there's that conflict between players who don't bother to participate when there are a lot of posts and players who don't feel like they can participate when there aren't enough posts. I don't know to what extent this conflict can be solved. Players must take steps to change their playstyle, especially if they sit on the extremes of either type. Additionally, one of the benefits of having small games and big games is that you can choose to join the one that fits your playstyle best. I think that more people embracing succinctness, questions that provide direction, and good use of quoting or linking to posts can help here too.

I don't think people should feel guilty for subbing if they're displeased with their content or aren't having fun. It doesn't seem like a big deal most of the time, and I think most subs want to join the game anyway. If you're posting just to avoid a sub, you need a sub.

[/wall]

I dunno what to tell you, man. I have a "2 posts per each 24 hour" requirement in my games and that doesn't stop people from not posting enough, posting at the minimum, or just flaking out entirely (RAPIER). I don't think there's a way to "fix" activity, aside from only letting people you know are usually active play.

The issue with subbing is some mods get irritated (not all mods do, mind you) if people sub for reasons they personally don't believe are good reasons (good reasons being an irl emergency, broken computer, etc.), which can scare some players and keep them from subbing. Another issue is when there just aren't any subs available.

I agree with the rest of your post btw. Sometimes it's easy to get hostile which only worsens the intimidation factor.

Players shouldn't be afraid to ask a mod whether they need to be subbed out or not. During Masquerade mafia, I got hit with sudden Internet failure during D2, which had the possibility to last until the end of the weekend. I had my phone, so I could get on intermittently, but I still let the mods know that "hey my Internet isn't working I dunno when it'll be back on sub me if you think you should".

Also, during FR mafia, there was at least one person who really should've told me that he needed to sub out. I would've actually done so even if he hadn't requested it, if I'd known what was going on. If you're too afraid to ask a mod to sub out, at least ask them if you need to be subbed our or say that this will highly impact your activity.

The thing is that it's not mafia but town in the more recent games that are being lurky. The mafia have pretty much been more active than the town recently, which is basically why they haven't won since C9++ and two out of the last six games have ended in UL.

Just in general; the atmosphere here is starting to turn quite hostile. I think that some people (myself included) need to sometimes take a step back and think about what they're saying sometimes. This isn't live mafia, you have time to make posts.

And as Strege said, the atmosphere just causes its own set of problems.

(yay phonebound between classes)