SF Interviews - Nomination for #38

Makaze

1/Infinity isn't even possible as infinity is a concept not a number. Even if it was a number, 1/Infinity wouldn't equal 0. It could be rounded down to 0, but it wouldn't be equal to 0.

if it were a number then that would probably be the case for the same reason that .999... = 1

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1/Infinity isn't even possible as infinity is a concept not a number. Even if it was a number, 1/Infinity wouldn't equal 0. It could be rounded down to 0, but it wouldn't be equal to 0.

are you refa??????

1. Got anyone you think of as a hero? Real or fictional (not counting, of course, the Hiro Protagonist himself).

2. Any figures you admire in the video game industry?

3. Got a favourite Arino moment and/or GCCX episode?

4. Eruca is the awesomest, isn't that so?!

5. If you could have a vehicle of your choice, what would it be? You have complete freedom so it can be something fantastical/ridiculous if you'd like. Give me details!

1. Man, this is the hardest question to answer for me. Noone really comes to mind as someone that I'd consider my hero, but there are often times when I find out that people are actually really awesome and I totally admire them for that. So I guess those nameless heroes can take this spot. Oh, and my parents probably. As for fictional characters, Fate/Zero Rider is a really inspirational figure for me. Obviously Mega Man too, he fights for justice despite the overwhelming odds (and more importantly, the difficult platforming challenges and boss fights)!

2. Off of the top of my head, I really admire Satoshi Tajiri for overcoming so many difficulties to become a famous game developer; as someone who's really introverted myself, it's very inspirational for me. There's also Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya who spent a whole five years to make a game by himself (and one of the best games ever) without much prior knowledge on many aspects that were essential to the game (the first thing that comes to mind is an interview where he said he just messed with a MIDI program to make the music and stopped when the music sounded right). Also Hideo Kojima for taking some serious risks in what I'd consider to be a more risk adverse development environment and he'd be someone who I'd say is genuinely interested in pushing forward the medium. Mad props, yo (please make a Snatcher 2 though). EDIT Turns out I forgot a couple, so here goes. Gunpei Yokoi did so much for the industry (but especially the G&W and Metroid), and is pretty bro for that. Also while I'm talking about Nintendo dudes, I guess I'll mention Miyamoto for being the Walt Disney of video games and Iwata because Iwata Asks are really cool and enlightening at times. Oh, and Tetsuya Nomura because noone can understand your love for zippers like I can baby ;_;...also because I respect the miracle that is Kingdom Hearts and The World Ends With You was the best.

3. My favorite episode "off of the top of my head" (shorthand for looking at an Episode List) is the Tokimeki Memorial episode; Arino + dating sims = hilarity ensues (also I'm listening to a podcast ATM and they're talking about dating sims, the synergy is real). As for my favorite moment, it's really hard to pick a specific one, but I really liked when he got Takahashi Meijin to help him with the Star Force challenge; that dude is a real world hero. Man, I really want to watch Game Center CX after talking about it for so much; I've really fallen out of the loop. Also I just realized but Arino is definitely my real hero.

4. Truer words have never been said! I SHOULD COMPLETE RADIANT HISTORIA ONCE AND FOR ALL.

5. Badonkadonk Land Cruiser. I'd want a portable teleportation device. Not only can it teleport, but it can also manifest into any vehicle I can think of (and a hoverboard, because fuck yeah hoverboards) given the proper schematics. It can also create rainbows. The device's appearance would of course be an Easy button. I know this is cheating but I have a hard time deciding OK. : <

Right, I have some questions.

1) What was the craziest thing you ever made in an FE game?

2) Why you chose the username Refa?

3) Favourite Video game franchises?

4) Ya like Pringles?

5) What is butter?

1) Dracoknight Maria. I don't get how that ever worked.
2) I was a Japanese obsessed adolescent and made up a username that sounded suitably Japaneasy. Not sure if I succeeded on that front.
3) Mega Man (by this, I mean all things Mega Man) with its close contenders being Castlevania, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, and Fire Emblem (at least these are the ones that stand out the most to me). Amusingly enough, I got into Mega Man with Battle Network 3, then played the first Zero game and was convinced that all Mega Man games were that hard. I got so used to how the Zero series worked that when I played Mega Man 9 (the first classic game that I seriously played, although I did have some bouts with emulating the earlier games like 1, 2, and X4) I thought it was impossible; ever since then, I kind of really got into the series.
4) Sure, potato chips are cool (I take 'em and eat 'em). I don't really get to eat them too often though.

Will you marry me?

Is the answer to the above question the same as this one?

You are given the ability to cure one disease that has not yet been cured, which one do you pick?

1) Who knows, I may be a psychic but I'm not one of them future predictable fellows.
2) Who knows, I may be a psychic but I'm not one of them future predictable fellows.
3) Alzheimer's/Dementia, because not being able to remember things is like losing your identity and it's depressing. :<

Have you ever posted in a forum that isn't in Far from the Forest?

Nope, I've never posted in a forum that isn't Far from the Forest*.

*This last statement is a lie.

1. What is your dream?

2. What is a man?

3. If you could only play Sonic 06 or Superman 64 for the rest of your life. Which one would you choose?

4. Horace or Shin?

5. Have you thought about hosting another fe4 draft because those were the rage back in YE OLDEN DAYS

1. To be the best [video game designer] there ever was. Also to rule the world.
2. Nothing but a miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk, I have to answer your next question!
3. Sonic 2006 because it has really good music and it'd probably be more amusing to play "with" friends.
4. I know I play SF Mafia and all, but I'm not actually gay jeez. I'll just say Horace because it gets a reaction out of Shin.
5. Probably not because I've become less interested in drafting as a whole (unless we come up with a new format that would make sure that all of the drafters actually finished the game at around the same time because drafts were at their most fun when that was the case).

What is your favourite movie? (yeah, I'm gonna ask this everytime)

I'll think of more later when I have the time.

The Dark Knight or Jurassic Park. One was a (relatively) recent favorite that was well...really entertaining to watch the whole way through. I'm not very good at explaining why I enjoy movies, but it did make me more interested in Batman as a whole. Jurassic Park because childhood favorite and dinosaurs (should be self explanatory IMO).

Where's your beauty?!

You factoring hectopascals wouldn't be able to understand it!

Serious question: What's your favourite anime?

Fate/Zero, no questions about it. It's pretty much everything I look for in an anime (memorable characters, awesome fight scenes, beautiful to look/listen at, philosophical quandaries, Emiya Kiritsuguu~, etc.). Honorable mentions go to Baccano!, Code Geass, Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist (original and Brotherhood), Monster, Psycho Pass, and Steins;Gate.

Edited by Refa

however thinking of infinity as a concept rather than a number also garners the question whether or not 0 is a number. for the basis of the concept of infinity is a number so large that it becomes an irrational number. so past a certain number every number becomes infinity which is how concept of infinity was first created. But by the same logic numbers will eventually get so irrationally small that the number will once again be inconceivable, as such we then group these numbers in with zero. so technically to argue that infinity is simply a concept and can have no application to computational mathematics means that you are making the same argument for zero, which is recognized as a number rather than a concept.

also if you still want to argue that infinity is a concept rather than a number we can still state the following,

1/(any number so large that it is no longer rational) = (a number so small that it is no longer rational)

which is the same as saying

1/infinity = 0

It seems to me like 0 can actually account for a precise measure of how many of something there are: none (though I guess I have to admit that a number that is very close to 0 isn't actually nothing). That is why 0 is a number. Infinity doesn't precisely account for how many of something there are: saying there are an infinite number of something means that thing is uncountable. I'm not very intelligent as far as math goes so I'm sorry if I said something dumb.

Edited by Severlan

saying there are an infinite number of something means that thing is uncountable.

This is not technically true.

e.g. The natural numbers and integers are countably infinite, whereas the real numbers are uncountably infinite.

I'm not very intelligent as far as math goes so I'm sorry if I said something dumb.

Don't apologize, your grasp of the concepts is much closer than the other poster's. Edited by Balcerzak

yes while we can say zero is a number in and of itself we also have to consider that zero can also be applied as a concept. now the problem with the idea of zero is that zero as a thought encompasses more than just of a number with a non-existent value, it also encompasses numbers with values that are too small to be conceived. again to make the comparison to infinity, infinity encompasses all numbers beyond rational thought. however when considering infinity we must consider that there has to be some number which is the largest number at that instance, however that number is always changing the number is becoming larger, it is becoming a number which previously did not exist. the concept of infinity does not apply solely to that number, yet again it applies to all numbers beyond rational thought. so to try and sum this up, infinity and zero at any given instance technically hold a specific value, infinity being the largest existing number and zero being the smallest existing number. and while it can be argued that in addition to its fluctuating value zero also is a finite value in nothingness. but to define nothingness as an existing value, at least to me, is as logically incorrect as saying a conjecture is solved if you can prove it can be neither proved nor disproved.

for example hilbert's first problem has been proven to be impossible to be provable or disprovable and there is no consensus on whether or not that is a valid solution to the problem by the mathematical community. it is really comes to personal philosophy of mathematics.

Edited by Randa

euk i am very disappointed this wasn't your response.

also remind me not to try explaining things while reading Mochizuki again. what i said is not entirely coherent.

Edited by Randa

euk i am very disappointed this wasn't your response.

http://youtu.be/IRsPheErBj8

also remind me not to try explaining things while reading Mochizuki again. what i said is not entirely coherent.

please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPSP4gbKx3w

why does marth always get murdered early when he's mafia?

You haven't played mafia for long but

I die early in most of my games(and most of them are town games to boot)

Edited by Bluedoom

we're interviewing roofa

this is totally legitimate (and i expect a full response from THE ROOF regarding each and every point made in this argument, as well as a final ruling)

Since I voted for you because being in the mafia subforum means that it's a perfectly natural response:

1. Would you make Beat wear a dress?

2. Town, mafia, or third-party?

. . .and not finishing Radiant Historia is grounds for a ban :P:

1. Am I a dickhead?

2. Pick a member you'd like to get to know better.

3. Fate/Zero novels are a lot better than the anime. Oh wait that's not a question. Uh....

Posted · Hidden by Integrity, December 3, 2014 - oops accidentally unhided
Hidden by Integrity, December 3, 2014 - oops accidentally unhided

i sure hope no one wasted their time replying to my last post here because i'm not going to read back and see. i can guess it's bashing or whatever anyway because the universe hates me and all that jazz

anyway hey makaze we should have a thing where people have to include a reason for their nominations to count. i'm pretty sure this post is going to be skipped over and scoffed/laughed at because no one listens to me ever but i might as well put it out here. oh well. it would make this thing actually fair but whatever.