• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

10 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Right, and that's completely okay! You have every right to feel that way about it.

Just the same as you (and everyone else who feels that way) have every right to call it (one of) your favorite game(s).
I'll be the last person to try and convince you otherwise.

Wait, this is the internet, you're supposed to get mad at me!!!

Some people enjoy Fates for it's gameplay, i am not among them, personally. That's my thoughts that it's boring.

Rev was weird with how gimmicky it was (and with how restrictive deployment slots were despite how many units you get), Birthright was so average it was bland (although I admit, my Hard Mode playthrough of it was actually kinda enjoyable, probably the most fun I had with Fates, tbh), and Conquest crushed my soul so hard, I could actually hear the creaking.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

wtf Bowzu just missed a fucking 99

wtf

Bad unit. Bench immediately. /s
xD

Edited by DragonFlames

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Bad unit. Bench immediately. /s
xD

I mean, i resetted thanks to that xD

but i've been resetting for last couple hours anyway because i forgot how i dealt with enfeeble staves haha

I need to get into Conquest pro mode again xD

Edited by Shrimperor

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Just the same as you (and everyone else who feels that way) have every right to call it (one of) your favorite game(s).
I'll be the last person to try and convince you otherwise.

Wait, this is the internet, you're supposed to get mad at me!!!

Rev was weird with how gimmicky it was (and with how restrictive deployment slots were despite how many units you get), Birthright was so average it was bland (although I admit, my Hard Mode playthrough of it was actually kinda enjoyable, probably the most fun I had with Fates, tbh), and Conquest crushed my soul so hard, I could actually hear the creaking.

Yeah, that's true! I mean, it's obvious it's one of my all time favorites, soooo yeah. 

Getting mad... i can try?

Dunno, i just don't enjoy Fates, under any circumstance.

Right for favorites, I'll do top from series i enjoy.

1: Xenoblade 2/Torna

2: Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep

3: Final Fantasy XIII

4: Pokemon G/S/C

5: Fire Emblem Awakening

I didn't want to do all time because most my list would just be Xeno games.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The second common criticism I found in the reviews is that combat takes time to open up, to become fun and not quite so simple.

Yeah, I could probably let this one slide. Xenoblade 2 has a similar problem.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The main developer behind the game, Edelweiss, looks like it's only 2 people, so gotta give them props for that. Although I'd hope they hired additional help.

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/e3-interview-edelweiss-xseed-dev-behind-sakuna-of-rice-and-ruin/

"Nal & Koichi: My personal policy is that I don’t actually like putting recovery items in games. A lot of the self-recovery comes from the meal that Sakuna eats the previous day. There is no specific item that recovers it."

For a platforming game, that's honestly a unique design philosophy.

45 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

With Xenoblade 2, I can't even say I dislike, because I don't. It just wasn't for me, as you said.

Gotta say, considering you got to Ch.8 in a game with 10 chapters, I did think you were actually gonna finish it. Of course, you probably forcing yourself at that point, so if that's the case, I understand you dropping it. I'm just bringing it up because despite you not being into it, you got very far. It's not like me in FF7 where I got to Gold Saucer and I was like "that's pretty cool, I'm done tho".

Just my two cents.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

It's not like me in FF7 where I got to Gold Saucer and I was like "that's pretty cool, I'm done tho".

That's cause the original FF7 is garbage. FF8 is where you should have started. Much better quality story, gameplay, etc etc.

20 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Yeah, that's true! I mean, it's obvious it's one of my all time favorites, soooo yeah.

Indeed! ^^

Getting mad... i can try?

Please don't. I was just joking! xD

Dunno, i just don't enjoy Fates, under any circumstance.

You certainly won't hear any complaints from me. xD

Right for favorites, I'll do top from series i enjoy.

1: Xenoblade 2/Torna

2: Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep

3: Final Fantasy XIII

4: Pokemon G/S/C

5: Fire Emblem Awakening

I didn't want to do all time because most my list would just be Xeno games.

Oh, nice!
Great to see Final Fantasy XIII on here. I actually quite like that game.
It was also the first game of its kind that I played together with my father, so I have a special connection with it.
Even if I overall prefer XII in terms of FF games.

13 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Yeah, that i definetly agree with.

However atleast conquest doesn't have berserk or sleep staves

I find Enfeeble and the Hexing Rod to be bad enough on their own, to be honest. Especially with no way to do anything but eat it (because it's not like you can avoid these, either). And Silence is still a thing, too.

Especially the Hexing Rod, because the unit hit by that becomes completely useless for the rest of the map, especially with Fates being low HP Emblem and enemies having attack stats that make even the hardest tanks twitch in despair.
As bad and annoying as they are, you will never hear anything to the contrary from me, Sleep and Berserk at least wear off eventually. And you have ways to get rid of the effects, such as the Restore staff. If Fates had a Restore staff or a skill akin to Sacrifice that heals these types of status effects, I wouldn't even have minded Enfeeble and the Hexing Rod, but as it stands... you know.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Gotta say, considering you got to Ch.8 in a game with 10 chapters, I did think you were actually gonna finish it. Of course, you probably forcing yourself at that point, so if that's the case, I understand you dropping it. I'm just bringing it up because despite you not being into it, you got very far. It's not like me in FF7 where I got to Gold Saucer and I was like "that's pretty cool, I'm done tho".

I actually wanted to finish despite not being too into it (since I don't actually hate it or anything. Just that style of gameplay isn't my thing. Characters and story carried it for me).
It's just that I got stuck on a group of enemies I couldn't defeat no matter how many times I tried it (two giant robots, several flying robots, motorcycles, that kind of stuff), and that made me say "okay, it's sad, but this is where I draw the line".

Edited by DragonFlames

The thing with Fates is...

...well, thing nr. 24.167.054, but the thing that ruins for me whatever potential the gameplay may have to me... the gameplay is just a fucking mess. Not as bad as Awakening, but still...
Stats are constantly in flux because of a billion different skills and weapons that apply different debuffs. And of course they never just apply one debuff but a whole dozen of them. To say nothing about every possible combination of attack formations you have to deal with.
Not to mention they no longer show your true stats and any stat modificators separately. The only way you can see your true stats is to tip those tiny buttons in the touchscreen. It's a massive pain in the rear. And you have to do that all the time because the thing that matters most of the time is not your base stat or your current stat, but what your stats are gonna be once you get hit by a debuff at the start of enemy phase.

In short, not only is the game a freaking mess of information, it also actively hinders you at properly processing all the information that is relevant.

Edited by BrightBow

Please don't. I was just joking! xD

You certainly won't hear any complaints from me. xD

Oh, nice!
Great to see Final Fantasy XIII on here. I actually quite like that game.
It was also the first game of its kind that I played together with my father, so I have a special connection with it.
Even if I overall prefer XII in terms of FF games.

I actually wanted to finish despite not being too into it (since I don't actually hate it or anything. Just that style of gameplay isn't my thing. Characters and story carried it for me).
It's just that I got stuck on a group of enemies I couldn't defeat no matter how many times I tried it (two giant robots, several flying robots, motorcycles, that kind of stuff), and that made me say "okay, it's sad, but this is where I draw the line".

Okay then, i wont!

Yup yup.

FF XII is close, but XIII has a superior story/main character.

Oof, those guys... yeah best just run past the group of them waiting on cliffs since the battles usually become 12 vs 3's very quickly!

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

That's cause the original FF7 is garbage. FF8 is where you should have started. Much better quality story, gameplay, etc etc.

Nah, Final Fantasy in general doesn't appeal to me that much.

Both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest (especially Dragon Quest) are way too normal for me at this point. If I had started with them, it would be a different tale but now I look at Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, go "cool" and that's it.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Especially the Hexing Rod, because the unit hit by that becomes completely useless for the rest of the map, especially with Fates being low HP Emblem and enemies having attack stats that make even the hardest tanks twitch in despair.

I don't know what's worse, Hex status or Berwick's Cripple status. The former can happen way more often but the latter just makes units completely and utterly useless for the rest of the map. Hexed units can still fight at least.

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

It's just that I got stuck on a group of enemies I couldn't defeat no matter how many times I tried it

Ah. In that case, I would've just turned off enemy aggression to get past it. Or lower the difficulty to Easy. There's never shame in making things easier if you get stuck.

If you wanna try to get back in and do that, the option is there but don't feel forced to do so if you don't want.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Nah, Final Fantasy in general doesn't appeal to me that much.

Both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest (especially Dragon Quest) are way too normal for me at this point. If I had started with them, it would be a different tale but now I look at Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, go "cool" and that's it.

I understand that, but if you ever want to give them another chance, i highly recommend FF8. 

Although i'm unsure as to what you mean by "normal".

All good things must come to an end... I suppose it’s time to revise my essay...

39 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

wtf Bowzu just missed a fucking 99

wtf

F

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Okay then, i wont!

Goodie!

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

FF XII is close, but XIII has a superior story/main character.

I see, I see!

Lightning is pretty great!

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Oof, those guys... yeah best just run past the group of them waiting on cliffs since the battles usually become 12 vs 3's very quickly!

They were right in a corridor I had to walk through with no real way around them, iirc (or I just didn't look hard enough because I was too busy getting run over and punched into a fine paste. xD)

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ah. In that case, I would've just turned off enemy aggression to get past it. Or lower the difficulty to Easy. There's never shame in making things easier if you get stuck.

If you wanna try to get back in and do that, the option is there but don't feel forced to do so if you don't want.

I must make a shameful confession: I didn't find the option for either of those.
If I do pick the game back up (and I probably will), I'll look harder for them.

22 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Stats are constantly in flux because of a billion different skills and weapons that apply different debuffs.

That's big part of the fun, though, and if i can calculate everything when conquest was my first FE a few years back, so should anyone else be able to

Game also shows every piece of information pretty clearly.

Edited by Shrimperor

Lightning is pretty great!

They were right in a corridor I had to walk through with no real way around them, iirc (or I just didn't look hard enough because I was too busy getting run over and punched into a fine paste. xD)

I must make a shameful confession: I didn't find the option for either of those.

Agreed, totally.

Yeah, they can be pretty hard to spot sometimes, for sure.

Options menu, in settings. It was added via an update, so you have to make sure yours is updated.

Although i'm unsure as to what you mean by "normal".

How I've described them usually in the past is "textbook definition". Baby's first JRPG, entry-level, that sort of thing. Which isn't bad at all of course but I've played too many niche JRPGs (actually just in general) now that I kinda find it hard to get into the entry-level stuff.

Pokemon is also entry-level but I actually did start with Pokemon when I was a kid. But if I played JPRGs without every picking up a Pokemon games, I would not be interested in that series. Which I'm not anymore anyway but for different reasons.

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Options -> Game Settings. Difficulty should be the first thing you see.

I will admit that I don't actually know if aggro settings are one of the DLC options you get for buying that but at the very least, setting the game to Easy is something you can do regardless.

Edited by Armagon

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Options menu, in settings. It was added via an update, so you have to make sure yours is updated.

That might be the issue, actually.

Just now, Armagon said:

Pokemon is also entry-level but I actually did start with Pokemon when I was a kid. But if I played JPRGs without every picking up a Pokemon games, I would not be interested in that series.

As someone whose very first video game was Pokémon Blue: I actually lost interest in the series the more I played other games. xD

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Options -> Game Settings. Difficulty should be the first thing you see.

If my game is the most recent version, that is.
I'll need to check that, actually.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I will admit that I don't actually know if aggro settings are one of the DLC options you get for buying that

This might be why I haven't found it, if that is the case.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

That's big part of the fun, though, and if i can calculate everything when conquest was my first FE a few years back, so should anyone else be able to

How is that part of the fun? Strategy should be about... you know, thinking about solving problems. Collecting and processing information is part of that by necessity, but the deciphering of that shouldn't be what 99% of the gameplay is about.

Honestly, people act like Berwick Saga is complicated, but I can't say I ever had someone die because of a tiny math error. It's always clearly and obviously communicated what enemies can do.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

How I've described them usually in the past is "textbook definition". Baby's first JRPG, entry-level, that sort of thing. Which isn't bad at all of course but I've played too many niche JRPGs (actually just in general) now that I kinda find it hard to get into the entry-level stuff.

I will admit that I don't actually know if aggro settings are one of the DLC options you get for buying that but at the very least, setting the game to Easy is something you can do regardless.

Well I say that because the story is pretty good, imo of course. The gameplay is purely taste though. If you dont like easy games... this isnt for you then. The characters are loveable as well and actually have well done personalities! Another thing, its humor is pretty good.

I'm pretty sure you just have to update the game for that. 

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That might be the issue, actually.

Wait, you've never updated it!? 

Just now, DragonFlames said:

If my game is the most recent version, that is.
I'll need to check that, actually.

You got the game last year, all the necessary updates should've been there from the start.

Anyways I checked: aggro settings is part of the DLC so you can't use that unfortunately. But like I said before, setting it to Easy is still something you can do anyway.