• Replies 176.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

So I said one time, a whiiiile back that Crossbell’s openings were not that good. I listened to them last night for… some reason, and now this has been in my head all day.

Do I do another Moon Door, or Star Door 7? I can also continue through the plot to recruit the remaining party members. Hmm...

Star door 7 is just a bunch of lore (about orbments and the development of orbal technology across the continent) if you’re into that.

Moon doors are almost always good though, especially considering the part you’re at. Since you mentioned Lechter, I’m gonna guess you already did number 3. Moon door 4 was great, as is everything with Estelle and Joshua, but 5 was pretty boring.

Edited by Sooks

I want an easily searchable phrase in case i want to compile this journey later so....

Armagon's Doctor Who log #1

Screenshot_6556.png?width=571&height=432

Hello William Hartnell, the First Doctor.

Screenshot_6559.png?width=570&height=432

Hello the first TARDIS interior it doesn't actually change that much throughout the Classic era.

A pretty good first episode. I actually have seen this first arc in it's entirety before and tbh, the other episodes in this arc are not.....entertaining. This was back when Doctor Who still had the DNA of trying to be an educational show (lots of period pieces during the First Doctor era). So yeah it's funny that i'm starting out like this but i will be skipping it.

So let's skip to the second arc. The first arc introduced the show but the second arc is arguably more important, as it ended up introducing The Doctor's oldest foes: The Daleks.

Screenshot_6560.png?width=579&height=432

He's a lil' fella.

Screenshot_6563.png?width=580&height=432

And there they are.

I don't have time to finish The Daleks arc tonight but it's definitly a lot better than An Unearthly Child.

I do find it interesting how The Doctor's a bit of a trickster in these first two arcs. He essentially kidnaps Susan and Barbara because they found out about the TARDIS in the first arc and then he made shit up so he could have an excuse to visit the city of Daleks (though he thought it was uninhabited). The dynamic between The Doctor and his companions feels a lot different than what it would usually end up being. 

BTW, i won't be doing logs like this for every episode. Just the ones that i think deserve it/the noticeable ones.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

Something I appreciate about Sky the 3rd is that since nothing expires, as far as I know, you can do the side content whenever you want. The previous games don't let you return to previous areas, so any side content missed is inaccessible for the rest of the playthrough. Today I did Moon Door 1-2 and gave Tita a weapon to surpass Metal Gear, even if it came at the cost of Tita's parents trying to murder Agate. Maybe Agate should know when to cut his loses.

Technically there is a point of no return but it'll tell you.

1 hour ago, Shrimpolaris said:

nlQDUL5.png

Kek

Marth/Azura is the shitpost couple i didn't know i needed.

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

So I said one time, a whiiiile back that Crossbell’s openings were not that good. I listened to them last night for… some reason, and now this has been in my head all day

Character development.

Xenosaga entry... not gonna keep count:

Spoiler

Boss fight was terrible even on the second try. It took 23 minutes and I almost ran out of healing items. What am I doing wrong??? I hope to fight some humans next, because Gnosis = gnomoney.

So this is the game implying, but not saying, "each Gnosis thinks they're the only being to exist"?

Blue Eyes KOS-MOS for the first time. I don't get why it triggered, nor why she spoke of pain when it didn't seem like she was being pained. I'll have to see where it goes.

13 Zohars, and not a single one has to be collected except for the Original. A little odd, a game could usually make a Macguffin hunt part of the story out of something so numerous. Gnosis are humans on full display -of course the game leaves questions unanswered to keep them somewhat mysterious.

A beach scene and they end it on a serious note, pleasantly different.

Stopped at the hotel.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

some more thoughts about Odin Sphere's ending

Spoilers again

Spoiler

The "two crownless lords" can refer to the four heroes instead of just specifically Gwen and Oswald. The four survivors are all royalty but for all different reasons, they have lost their "crown".

• Gwendolyn is exiled from her kingdom
  • Cornelius gives up the throne because he's a Pooka
  • Oswald has no claim to the throne since his father eloped
  • Velvet's country was destroyed so there's no throne to claim and also Pooka

Two men, two women, although only two would be the "crownless lords", any m/f combination of them could've been it. But with Cornelius and Velvet both becoming Pooka, it had to be Gwen and Oswald. But it would explain why we had four survivors.

I think that is a fair interpretation.

The game did already write species and royalty clauses into other parts of the prophecies. Nobody presently in human form could slay Ingway (well, actually they can in the bad endings, but obviously such deviations means Everybody Dies). And only one who sits upon the throne -Mercedes- could slay Onyx (he survives, a tad wounded, in all bad outcomes).

Speaking of Cornelius and Velvet, when Alice finished the book and said "wow that's a sad ending", at first i thought that confirmed that these were all just stories (if it actually ended here, i would've taken off points). Then Cornelius and Velvet showed up.

Their True Ending bonus scene in the cave does say millennia have passed. Which I suppose makes the entire game flashback of a kind.

I'm not sure if there is a fancy term for such a setting. Post-post-apocalypse? Post-recovery post-apocalypse?

Maury

Odin-Sphere.jpg

Official merchandise. You can get it with Gwendolyn or Mercedes as well. Forest backdrop and floor not included.

Maury was charming, from the middle of Odin's castle to the depths of the Netherworld, the pudgy Pooka was always there.😄

-Maury's Touring Restaurant doesn't exist in Classic Mode. The Pooka Cafes are the only place you could eat there, and everything costs both ingredients and coins. Refined Mode invented Maury and chose to assign him ingredient costs and the Cafes coin costs. Another reason Classic Mode Is Bad.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Screenshot_6554.png?width=537&height=432

Let the journey through time and space begin.

Good luck!

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Screenshot_6559.png?width=570&height=432

Hello the first TARDIS interior it doesn't actually change that much throughout the Classic era.

On the one hand, all you have to do is watch and listen. On the other, black & white is really a step back. I'm divided 75%-25% on whether antiquated TV is better-or-worse than antiquated video games.

1 hour ago, GuardianSing said:

Celebrate our similarities and our differences.

Hopefully it doesn't sound like I'm against personal labels, I'm not at all I'm just against Us vs Them mentalities.

🍻

Hear hear! You'll find a sympathetic voice in me. People need to stop inventing imaginary enemies, but some won't, not infrequently because they profit off of it.

25 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Just wait till you hit CS IV bonding scenes.

I mean, 5 is the door that randomly focuses on the orphan side characters that got a combined 3 minutes of screen time in the last two games for… no real reason. I’m assuming that’s nothing like whatever CS IV does for its bonding events, unless it brings in side characters no one cares about.

On 3/6/2022 at 4:21 PM, GuardianSing said:

Yes, I am a person who is primarily attracted to folks who were born females, but since I don't think of myself as a man and neither as a woman, what would you call that sexual orientation?

I think the term would be Gynosexual . The male attracted equivalent is Androsexual. Its little used, but just an alternate method of describing sexuality that is not self referential like the more common homo/hetero binary.

6 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Mhm. Personally I find the label of gender more restrictive than anything, one of the most tiring things I often heard as a child were "Oh you like this? That's odd for a boy" Or "Of course you would like this, you're a boy" And so on.

In my eyes, I'm Quetzal the human before I'm Quetzal the man or Quetzal the non-binary person.

I find my gender primarily to be an external constraint placed upon me by others.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Hmm, curious as to what others think: 

For characters design (gameplay wise) is it better to have close_knit balanced stats, or making every character feep unique and sacrifice some balance for it?

It is a balancing act, as perfect balance can be just as bad as horribly unbalanced.

21 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

aY7T2wR.png

Hexing Rod AND Takumeme?

To be fair, the Hexing Rod is there even outside the hack

4 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

To be fair, the Hexing Rod is there even outside the hack

But not staff savant.

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I mean, 5 is the door that randomly focuses on the orphan side characters that got a combined 3 minutes of screen time in the last two games for… no real reason. I’m assuming that’s nothing like whatever CS IV does for its bonding events, unless it brings in side characters no one cares about.

You mean happiness stone? It's a setup for something we didn't get yet (aside from some hints)

Edited by Shrimpolaris

20 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

You mean happiness stone? It's a setup for something we didn't get yet (aside from some hints)

Say what? How on earth could any of that ever be important?

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Odin-Sphere.jpg

Official merchandise. You can get it with Gwendolyn or Mercedes as well. Forest backdrop and floor not included

I do believe that is quite adorable. 

Maury's Touring Restaurant doesn't exist in Classic Mode. The Pooka Cafes are the only place you could eat there, and everything costs both ingredients and coins. Refined Mode invented Maury and chose to assign him ingredient costs and the Cafes coin costs. Another reason Classic Mode Is Bad.

Classic Mode just sounds like the most unfun game.

On the other, black & white is really a step back. I'm divided 75%-25% on whether antiquated TV is better-or-worse than antiquated video games.

Depends on how comitted you are to it. I wouldn't watch just any black and white media but as a Doctor Who fan, it makes watching these ancient episodes more digestible. 

I did the same with Godzilla and King Kong. The black and white films came later down the list. 

Of course, Doctor Who spent more time in black and white than both of those two kings. Doctor Who wouldn't go full color until Spearhead from Space, the first Third Doctor arc. That was 1970 iirc.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Whoever designed the enemy placement in Stormveil Castle didn't like fun. :')

Really? I thought it was generally excellent.

...Perhaps it's because I used magic. I was also rather highly-leveled.

2 hours ago, Benice said:

Really? I thought it was generally excellent.

...Perhaps it's because I used magic. I was also rather highly-leveled.

Maybe so?

Biggest dislikes are the enemies that jump you when you pass through an entryway with no actual way of seeing that they’re there (though Stormveil’s not the only place guilty of this), the enemies that throw bombs that either one shot you or just do a chunk of normal damage without a clear indicator of which one is going to be used, some of the odd camera angles that lead to me getting mobbed without a real chance to react, etc.

Then again, the camera’s just annoying in general, so, lol.

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

(though Stormveil’s not the only place guilty of this),

Oh lordy, the imps... Those chaps are bona fide nightmares. I hate 'em...

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Biggest dislikes are the enemies that jump you when you pass through an entryway with no actual way of seeing that they’re there

Perhaps I missed this part of the castle, but it's worth noting that you can most often use the camera to look around corners before you go up 'em; furthermore, trying to predict enemy placements based on environment often works in these games; enemies running away or standing still are also indicators of there being traps. Rollin' around corners is probably good practice anyways. The game's not too concerned with something killing you, so caution and awareness of where traps may be is key. Enemy AI isn't super bright in this game from what I can tell, so using a combat art like Storm Blade, using a bow or tossing a knife to pull a single enemy towards you can work as well. I don't know how powerful it is, but the Baldachin's Blessing from the nice hugging lady at Roundtable could potentially also help in encounters against several enemies, since it lets you tank through enemy attacks.

Ooh, and you probably have noticed this, but you are completely invulnerable when you're in animations such as opening up a door or chest, as well as during critical hits. If you're having problems with several enemies swarming you, you could try popping a shield onto your off-hand and parrying one of the enemies. Fully charged heavy attacks (and to a lesser extent, jumping heavy attacks) also deal a ton of poise damage so you can get a crit off that way. Finally, it seems a little bit less broken in this game than in other Souls games, but if you back up the way you came, enemies will often simply stop and return towards their original positions at some point.

Do keep in mind that I have far too many hours into these games, while this is your first; it's possible I just know some of Miyazaki's tricks by now. And again, because I have been using magic, I don't have to get near enemies to beat 'em.

(I don't disagree that the game takes some cheapies at you from time to time, I just don't quite recall them being placed in Stormveil.)

10 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

the enemies that throw bombs that either one shot you or just do a chunk of normal damage without a clear indicator of which one is going to be used,

There's multiple types of bombs? I haven't noticed that yet... It does suck if that is the case. I suppose there are the birds, but that's decently clear-cut as to when it'll detonate or not and the birds suck anyways

11 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Then again, the camera’s just annoying in general, so, lol.

I find it funny how I've had very few camera issues in this game so far.

...Maybe I'm just used to Sekiro's buggy camera and Dark Souls Remastered's... Shenanigans, shall we say. Plus, they are some of the only action games I've played, so I don't have muscle memory for better or different systems.

Do you have auto lock-on turned on? That might be a part of the problem. I've not been playing with it on, but I could see it causing some problems with angles and whatnot.

Oh my God Dragan's voice.

I see why everyone loved this guy already. He has the best voice actor and it's not even a contest. So campy. I love him. He's totally not going to be evil.

So, popped on some croissant dough, probably could have been a minute or two less in the oven.

The kicker? I folded them the wrong way, so they look completely different.

I have made tnassiorc.

8 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

lcnYpBo.png

Pffffffffffffffffft

WAT

xD

We're still under the assumption he's her father right?

Please no Corrin.

7 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Oh absolutely. The modern day we live does make it feel like we're different from others which dictates a lot of peoples lives, for better or for worse. On one hand, I'm really happy to see LGBTQ folks looking at their unique situation and owning it as part of their identity, on the other hand, I take great annoyance when people get way too serious about their nationality and/or ethnicity and end up shitting on others as a result.

Even I do this sometimes, I can't deny that being an American Indian is somewhat part of my identity but that doesn't stop me from being human.

I guess that's the main thing for me, to know yourself as human and everyone else as human before any other labels you wish to use.

Celebrate our similarities and our differences.

Hopefully it doesn't sound like I'm against personal labels, I'm not at all I'm just against Us vs Them mentalities.

In the end, how we use those labels in a negative manner is more at issue. I note even some in the deaf community can have problematic attitudes about someone getting a hearing aid for their child with hearing difficulties. It's fascinating how one can respond to an action that would ostensibly be beneficial with looking to shun them.

I've seen enough of how identity can be used as a wedge.

7 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

I'm very lucky to have grown up where I am in this very supportive and progressive community (Even if it is a bit old fashioned sometimes) It's quite the luxury of mine to be able to act as I please and at most just get a few double takes from people. It saddens me knowing that in many places just showing a bit of emotion can get you killed.

And for many of those people who have to hide these emotions or aspects of themselves, the pressures of maintaining cover are also a problem. Some even take negative actions that arguably harm themselves to maintain that cover.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Odin-Sphere.jpg

Someone enjoying themselves in the woods I see.

Pretty good pots too, though I doubt it's much fun carrying all that out.

That and how you'd deal with the living veg

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

Well... it's alot worse imo. The last ones especially.

Arrived at my first big choice moment in TS. I had to pick between visiting the Duchy of the Obviously Evil, and the Church of the Obviously Evil. Seriously, everyone in this game looks so evil. They're all

I'm hoping for more Dragan campiness, so I went against Benedict and Frederica's wishes and opted to go to the snowy lands of iron. There, I met Archduke Gustadolph, who looks like Volcens if he got bitten by a vampire and the transformatiok happened to grant him a brain as well.

Now that is the look of a man I would trust with my life.

Also, oh my fucking God transfering images from Switch is still a huge pain in the ass. To my great surprise, they added an option to send them directly to a phone instead of posting them to their two social media of choice. However... Well, I can't get it to work. I scan the QR code, but then I can't connect for some reason. Thanks, Ninty.

1 hour ago, Punished Dayni said:

I note even some in the deaf community can have problematic attitudes about someone getting a hearing aid for their child with hearing difficulties. It's fascinating how one can respond to an action that would ostensibly be beneficial with looking to shun them.

I think it's "They know they're a minority that's discriminated against, so they want solidarity among their members because they're so fragile". IIRC gays and lesbians were at some point not quite so embracing of transgender individuals, since what appears to be a man who sees themselves as a woman is no longer a gay man.

So, popped on some croissant dough, probably could have been a minute or two less in the oven.

The kicker? I folded them the wrong way, so they look completely different.

I have made tnassiorc.

As long as they're flakey, buttery, and delicious, does it matter?😋 I thought I heard the UK actually prefers more of a diamond shape or something.

Someone enjoying themselves in the woods I see.

Indeed.

Pretty good pots too, though I doubt it's much fun carrying all that out.

Since they appear walk right in via portal whenever certain bells are rung, and everything explodes into its proper place, it's not so bad. Though Maury does complain of false alarms from the blowing wind.

That and how you'd deal with the living veg

One strike with a weapon is enough to incapacitate them for a while.

Although veggies that lively ought to make a vegetarian feel heartless.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Also, oh my fucking God transfering images from Switch is still a huge pain in the ass. To my great surprise, they added an option to send them directly to a phone instead of posting them to their two social media of choice. However... Well, I can't get it to work. I scan the QR code, but then I can't connect for some reason. Thanks, Ninty.

Do you have a USB-A to USB-C wire? (As is, big rectangle to tiny oval.) Because that makes it much easier. It's the method I use to directly transfer images to my gaming laptop.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Arrived at my first big choice moment in TS. I had to pick between visiting the Duchy of the Obviously Evil, and the Church of the Obviously Evil. Seriously, everyone in this game looks so evil. They're all

I'm hoping for more Dragan campiness, so I went against Benedict and Frederica's wishes and opted to go to the snowy lands of iron. There, I met Archduke Gustadolph, who looks like Volcens if he got bitten by a vampire and the transformatiok happened to grant him a brain as well.

My trick's been to put a micro SD card in for the purpose of saving the screenshot or video to it... then taking that out putting it in my computer, and then taking them off. It's worked so far. That said... I don't do it much  I kind of have a lot of stuff on the microsd card at the moment.

All right, finally.

ZWTp3Nc7_o.jpg

Look at that. The sheer dissonance between the guy's appearance and his description. Firm believer in freedom? He looks like he has skeletons in his closet. Literally!

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Do you have a USB-A to USB-C wire? (As is, big rectangle to tiny oval.) Because that makes it much easier. It's the method I use to directly transfer images to my gaming laptop.

I can probably do that, but too much hassle. I'd rather whine about Nintendo instead.

...that, and the Rule of Teehee has once agained proven its existence. The moment I said I couldn't get it to work, it began to work. 

5 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

My trick's been to put a micro SD card in for the purpose of saving the screenshot or video to it... then taking that out putting it in my computer, and then taking them off. It's worked so far. That said... I don't do it much  I kind of have a lot of stuff on the microsd card at the moment.

That's another idea, yes.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

..that, and the Rule of Teehee has once agained proven its existence. The moment I said I couldn't get it to work, it began to work. 

I thought the rule of Teehee was "When I log into these threads I only know what one or two people are talking about and don't want to start on my own because it'd just devolve into me making complaints about Mystery of the Emblem that might be invalid because my Japanese is unpolished"

23 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

AH Spoilers! XD

Edited by lightcosmo

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

AH Spoilers! XD

Ah, I'm sorry! Don't worry though, no big spoilers yet. Nothing important has happened so far. But I'll be sure to start employing boxes when the time comes.

5 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I thought the rule of Teehee was "When I log into these threads I only know what one or two people are talking about and don't want to start on my own because it'd just devolve into me making complaints about Mystery of the Emblem that might be invalid because my Japanese is unpolished"

That's another one I suppose, haha.