• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

10 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

With my father's Lenca origins and my mother's Irish origins it's like a double whammy of generational trauma, so no wonder I can't recover

Oof.

10 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

In all seriousness I like to look at the German's way of teaching history.

We're not at fault for the actions of those in the past, but we are responsible for making sure that such events never occur again.

That's a very good way to look at it, yes.

10 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I think its more than two...

Ah, well, I'm bad at meth.

9 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

But he's a great actor tho

Ah, yes. He was so incredible in American Beauty, wasn't he?

9 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

Who isn't?

Uhhh

Clothe, though?

I mean I still kinda approve tho

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Find me an era where there wasn't any political unfreedom, suffering, and fears society and civilization were doomed in some part of the world, nay among all sections of any supposedly "free" and "flourishing" society.

Is the ice age a good unironic answer? Obviously the struggle for survival was at it's greatest but because everyone was struggling for survival, that probably meant cooperation was stronger back then than it is now.

1 hour ago, Shrimpolaris said:

We don't wanna return to these times do we

Of course not. I remember reading that everyone who wasn't French thought the French went too far. Like iirc, America inspired the French Revolution and they were initially supportive of it, like "yeah, overthrow your king haha" but then when the Reign of Terror indiscriminately targeted people, America was like "wait not like that". This information was retained from high school history class, so details may or may not be accurate.

The revolution may be over but i think the spirit never truly left France. Cause every time the French government does something unpopular, the French will quite literally shut down cities.

8 hours ago, Benice said:

This might be weird, but I'm more worried about consumption of fiction and my perception of it than of IRL people

People have had weirder concerns before, I would imagine. You probably have little to worry about.😉

Ah yes, David Attenborough documentaries.

Oh, the image in that post is particularly Can't unsee! for the *ahem* uninterested, though at the same time I think it'd be great for a meme!😁

I was without irony watching some Attenborough documentaries this week as well. Although you can't call those safe for work when you have birds doing fancy courtship rituals all for the sake of getting laid and tiny little spiders that perfectly camouflage themselves on flowers to suck the life out of unsuspecting bees. Nature is violent, nature is sexed up.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

The revolution may be over but i think the spirit never truly left France. Cause every time the French government does something unpopular, the French will quite literally shut down cities.

You have seen the lyrics of French national anthem- "La Marseillaise", right? To copy the first two verses translated, with bolding to emphasize my point.

Arise, children of the Fatherland,
The day of glory has arrived!
Against us, tyranny's
Bloody standard is raised, (repeated)
Do you hear, in the countryside,
The roar of those ferocious soldiers?
They're coming right into your arms
To cut the throats of your sons, your women!

Refrain:
To arms, citizens,
Form your battalions,
March, march!
Let an impure blood
Water our furrows!

Paris from 1789 until like 1871 was the most riotous city in all of Europe I think. Basically a century of upheaval. Not helping was that being an old, bustling European city, the streets and alleys could be a giant narrow labyrinth, favoring the defending rioters against premodern riot police. It has been debated if the modern reconstruction of Paris began in the 1850s under Emperor Napoleon III was intended to assist the military and make it harder for protesters to hold out. Broad, straight boulevards are not easy to defend and great for troop movement, so the argument goes.

14 hours ago, Benice said:

The Concert's tomorrow... Guess we'll see how it goes.

Good luck with that! I hope it goes well.

14 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Well for us Natives it's more a sense of PTSD but I see what you mean.

Lots of that with red, white and blue flags. Wonder why that is........

13 hours ago, Benice said:

The Concert's tomorrow... Guess we'll see how it goes.

Well I hope it goes well.

11 hours ago, Benice said:

I don't know if this is female empowerment, but my degenerate brain enjoys it.

...Is it wrong to enjoy objectified people in art, or announce that I am degenerate?

>Degeneracy

I see we're back to that old chestnut.

FaGBP.png.ec14d4e96ec7248b82215a6de926418f.png

13 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Still jamming to the Ys VIII ost more than I'm playing IX. -But I'll take the music right now, counteracts my inability to become entirely desensitized as I desire. I've been considering visiting Washington DC again, but, realizing Prelude to Autocracy is coming this fall and have all three branches of government under its control by 2025, is holding me back. I know I'd be walking the streets of a capital soon to be no longer a beacon of freedom.

Dammit! WHY CAN'T OVERCOME THE ROCKY PATH DROWN THIS OUT!?!?!?!

Autocracy might be a blessing depending on how the dominoes fall, the weird amount of discourse about guns that isn't "How do we make it not this easy to bring one into the school and start blasting?" and stick to serious solutions, but in a way it's sadly on trend.

If anything this will probably empower a call out of policing if the discourse holds.

As a side note, I feel quite bad for my school music teacher. She spends a lot of her own time making recordings of our pieces for us, but I don't think anyone's gonna use 'em during their practice...

Ah well, I'm sure she's just trying to get us to practice more. Maybe it'll work for some people!

Yeah, I remember that happening with the last choir I was in too, I don't know if many of us took to it enthusiastically.

It's a fair amount of effort and that's without considering multiple instruments. Your teacher takes her work seriously.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

Forgot to show this, but Leif is now Full Noba in this mod, Altenna wasn't worthy. XD

89444f36188309a798a6aa41dd523c02.png

Dicks.

Also, kinda messes with part of Leif.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Paris from 1789 until like 1871 was the most riotous city in all of Europe I think. Basically a century of upheaval. Not helping was that being an old, bustling European city, the streets and alleys could be a giant narrow labyrinth, favoring the defending rioters against premodern riot police. It has been debated if the modern reconstruction of Paris began in the 1850s under Emperor Napoleon III was intended to assist the military and make it harder for protesters to hold out. Broad, straight boulevards are not easy to defend and great for troop movement, so the argument goes.

There's at least 5 large scale revolts in that period alone in Paris? I'd suspect trying to remove that risk makes a lot of sense. Course, those wide boulevards are great when an enemy can then proceed to march up them after defeating you.

Speaking of Paris's roads, might as well link this.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You have seen the lyrics of French national anthem- "La Marseillaise", right?

This is my first time seeing it but i think i recall reading that the anthem straight-up calls for regicide. Though the lyrics don't seem to directly say that i think, i wouldn't be surprised.

32 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

eemhbsbp48291.png

The handholding one is the best one.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, yes. He was so incredible in American Beauty, wasn't he?

Yeah. He won an Oscar for it

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Is the ice age a good unironic answer? Obviously the struggle for survival was at it's greatest but because everyone was struggling for survival, that probably meant cooperation was stronger back then than it is now.

In poorer countries still, you often see families and neighbors working together in cooperation. There's a much stronger sense of community in these areas and it keeps many folks there grounded and down to earth.

I specifically remember this one quote from a Russian lady talking about the Soviet Union days

"Back then, people were much poorer, but they were also much kinder"

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Lots of that with red, white and blue flags. Wonder why that is........

Well from a historical standpoint it's simply because red white and blue were the cheapest dye colors 

There was more I wanted to respond to but I need to be leaving in a bit to see my brother who just graduated. Have a good day, lads.