• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

My point was that it's not a problem inherent with monarchies, I mean.

True, we have the travellers and how they've been maligned as policy for decades, or more recently the shitshow around refugees/migrants being put into particular accommodation and essentially left there with little to no avenue to improve themselves while there and waiting years for their applications to process.

It's debatable if things have improved for the latter (said system has been repealed), but the former is one I'd say there's been no chance of in recent years.

Thinking of getting a new laptop. Something powerful but not so overly powerful that it breaks my wallet and my electricity.

Any computer experts, 'round?

9 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, today is the day. Today I leave the comfort of my parents' home and become an adult with a job. Woo!

Best of luck to you, mate. May the nomad in you find peace.

3 hours ago, ping said:

@Saint Rubenio Different monarchy, but I thought you might appreciate the comparison nonetheless:

j41CaLG.png

This is the greatest article I've ever read.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I mean, the same could be said of the Republic USA citizen being the clown-obsessed neighbor of a Native American...

Nay, it's more like...

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

Nah.

They pushed their neighbour into a closet to live in after brutally assaulting them and pretended they got along and all was forgiven.

Aye, like that.

12 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Thinking of getting a new laptop. Something powerful but not so overly powerful that it breaks my wallet and my electricity.

Any computer experts, 'round

As someone who spent over $1,000 on their graphics card alone for their CPU, all I can say is never settle with a computer personally speaking. 

If something newer comes out with higher neccessary specs and you dont have the power for it, that'll majorly suck. 

Ofc on the flip side if you run lower grade games and have no intention of buying newer age games on it, then yeah there are much more comfortable options out there. 

That raises the question, what exactly are you looking for?

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

As someone who spent over $1,000 on their graphics card alone for their CPU, all I can say is never settle with a computer personally speaking. 

If something newer comes out with higher neccessary specs and you dont have the power for it, that'll majorly suck. 

Ofc on the flip side if you run lower grade games and have no intention of buying newer age games on it, then yeah there are much more comfortable options out there. 

That raises the question, what exactly are you looking for?

I suppose that's the benefit in building a PC huh? You can replace parts with the newer stuff whenever you wish.

But no. I'm not trying to catch up with the big new releases, just making sure the stuff I've always been paying works. The only games I play are 4X titles like Civ 6 and Europa Universalis, not huge games mind you but huge enough that my current PC can't run them at all, at least not without lowing the settings to the lowest and making the game look like shite.

Oh, and Terraria, can't forget Terraria, and even that game doesn't the best at times.

It's a difficult question to answer since I both don't fully understand the power requirements for those games nor do I understand computer tech and what different things mean.

My laptop's battery is almost depleted, it seems to be having trouble charging, there is no internet and I can't connect my phone because there aren't enough USB ports and I forgot the extra port adapter.

I was so looking forward to playing a bit of Sun God's Wrath. Some degree of familiarity in the midst of all these big life changes. Heh, so much for that.

Welp, maybe this will turn me back into the avid reader of my childhood days. It's that or watch the idiot box, and I refuse.

4 hours ago, ping said:

@Saint Rubenio Different monarchy, but I thought you might appreciate the comparison nonetheless:

j41CaLG.png

Hah!

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

Another weekend at home, another time feeling like I should skip, but I also kinda tied myself to helping at the market.

It also turns out a grandparent got a cancer diagnosis I hadn't heard about for months and the prognosis now is maybe a few months if we're lucky. I guess that gut feeling about both dying this year is holding up, ugh.

Oh, crap... Hang in there, buddy. I hope for the best for you and your family.

freedom-free.gif

Freedom is fun!

I get what you mean about the degree of withdrawal, though I'm trying to push myself at the minute out of it. I recommend, well when you can with trying to move around a current position.

Thanks for the concern. I'm being irrational, anyway. Like I said, I'm not so far from home that I should feel much melancholy at all.

Just to clarify, are you staying in an apartment your relatives own or live in? I know you said it but I forgot.

They own it. They use it to spend a few days here whenever they have business or feel like travelling here. The place is rather big, at three bedrooms there should never be any problems even with me here.

28 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Best of luck to you, mate. May the nomad in you find peace.

Hah, I don't know if there is a nomad in me at all. But thanks.

43 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hah, I don't know if there is a nomad in me at all. But thanks.

It's in all of us, mate. Humankind has been around for 30 million years and only for a tiny 5000 of those years did we stay in one place for most of our lives.

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

My laptop's battery is almost depleted, it seems to be having trouble charging, there is no internet and I can't connect my phone because there aren't enough USB ports and I forgot the extra port adapter.

I was so looking forward to playing a bit of Sun God's Wrath. Some degree of familiarity in the midst of all these big life changes. Heh, so much for that.

Welp, maybe this will turn me back into the avid reader of my childhood days.

It is what it is, hope you'll figure it out.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's that or watch the idiot box, and I refuse.

It's a bit funny imagining hearing you shout "I refuse!" staring at the TV in the corner

Though neither of my siblings are connected to the TV channels, so maybe that'll become the standard.

They own it. They use it to spend a few days here whenever they have business or feel like travelling here. The place is rather big, at three bedrooms there should never be any problems even with me here.

So they're not there permanently but can come by as needed for them.

There's that at least, I suspect they haven't been interested in renting it with that information.

Thanks for the concern. I'm being irrational, anyway. Like I said, I'm not so far from home that I should feel much melancholy at all.

Yeah, you seem to have a fine understanding of the situation at least.

Oh, crap... Hang in there, buddy. I hope for the best for you and your family.

To be fair these grandparents aren't young and have got multiple maladies at this stage, so in one sense it's a relief. It'll of course hit when it happens, but we've seen the decline over time, especially for the other one and it's a realistic case that they die around the same time so that might hurt more (especially as that's it for my grandparents) but arguably worse for the decline to continue on, and on, and on, and on.

It also wasn't great to not be told and I only learned it because they were willing to say it to someone else over the phone. I do feel bothered by their not being honest about that.

7 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

It's in all of us, mate. Humankind has been around for 30 million years and only for a tiny 5000 of those years did we stay in one place for most of our lives.

I'd argue there was still a section who'd settle a couple millennia before that, but those did end eventually too.

Funny how people can't seem to stand the same place all the time /s.

52 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

I wouldn't say humankind is 30 million years old; even Old World monkeys and apes hadn't split by then, which happened around 25 Mya. The modern H. sapiens evolved around 300,000 years ago, but if you count "humankind" as when our ancestors diverged from the chimpanzee ancestors (i.e. Australopithecina/Hominina), then humankind is around 6 million years old, while genus Homo is around 2-3 million years old. That anthropology class I took for fun is still useful.

While civilization is roughly 5000 years old, the development of agriculture, and thus the development of permanent settlements, started around 10,000 years ago... what were we talking about again?

Edited by Lightchao42

1 hour ago, GuardianSing said:

Haha... yeah, you're probably right. It's just that one of the symptoms of my Asperger's (ten years of therapy and improvement or not, I still have it) is difficulty to accept change. And this is a hell of a change that I've had exactly four days to process. I'll be fine in a couple days, no doubt.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

It is what it is, hope you'll figure it out.

Eehhh it seems the thing was just flipping out because it was on low battery to begin with. It seemed to charge when I shut it down and checked later. I'll just leave it be tonight, see what happens tomorrow. Hopefully it works and I can continue SGW. I'd like to get to Axerin again before the universe implodes to keep me from playing Griftlands or something.

It's a bit funny imagining hearing you shout "I refuse!" staring at the TV in the corner

You imagine reality, for that is what I did. Totally.

So they're not there permanently but can come by as needed for them.

There's that at least, I suspect they haven't been interested in renting it with that information.

I don't believe so, no.

Yeah, you seem to have a fine understanding of the situation at least.

Yup.

To be fair these grandparents aren't young and have got multiple maladies at this stage, so in one sense it's a relief. It'll of course hit when it happens, but we've seen the decline over time, especially for the other one and it's a realistic case that they die around the same time so that might hurt more (especially as that's it for my grandparents) but arguably worse for the decline to continue on, and on, and on, and on.

It also wasn't great to not be told and I only learned it because they were willing to say it to someone else over the phone. I do feel bothered by their not being honest about that.

Sheesh... Yeah, that's not cool.

44 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I wouldn't say humankind is 30 million years old; even Old World monkeys and apes hadn't split by then, which happened around 25 Mya. The modern H. sapiens evolved around 300,000 years ago, but if you count "humankind" as when our ancestors diverged from the chimpanzee ancestors (i.e. Australopithecina/Hominina), then humankind is around 6 million years old, while genus Homo is around 2-3 million years old. That anthropology class I took for fun is still useful.

While civilization is roughly 5000 years old, the development of agriculture, and thus the development of permanent settlements, started around 10,000 years ago... what were we talking about again?

I have no idea.

The point however is that we all love travel and dream of going to faraway places. Even the most avoiding of change has thought about going to Paris once in their life.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Haha... yeah, you're probably right. It's just that one of the symptoms of my Asperger's (ten years of therapy and improvement or not, I still have it) is difficulty to accept change. And this is a hell of a change that I've had exactly four days to process. I'll be fine in a couple days, no doubt.

Change, like horror movies, is something we as humans both avoid and seek at the same time.

Meanwhile over here it's like:

"Move out? What's that?" *cue the Ratatouille quote*

---

Okay, went up and down the Throat of the World... and now the DLC Dragonborn Cultists activate. Will still hold it off until I finish the main quest. Time to head to Morthal now, but I will first go the long way around from Ivarstead to Helgen. To pick up Nettlebane and do the next step of Clavicus Vile's quest. Pft, thought it'd do great to have an invincible follower in Barbas... but it's not all that cracked up to be. Mostly his constant barking and... he interferes with sneaking. Ah well...

Well, will do Morthal stuff next time...

I actually did it.

Beat Hidden Bravery on Lunatic (which I had never played before this), with a bunch of generics (Not all generics yet, but that's what the next few chapters are for!).

Gazak was the real MVP. Because of course he was.

36 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Eehhh it seems the thing was just flipping out because it was on low battery to begin with. It seemed to charge when I shut it down and checked later. I'll just leave it be tonight, see what happens tomorrow. Hopefully it works and I can continue SGW. I'd like to get to Axerin again before the universe implodes to keep me from playing Griftlands or something.

Hope that doesn't lead to any more major issues.

36 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sheesh... Yeah, that's not cool.

Diseases affecting the elderly are indeed uncool.

42 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Okay, went up and down the Throat of the World... and now the DLC Dragonborn Cultists activate. Will still hold it off until I finish the main quest. Time to head to Morthal now, but I will first go the long way around from Ivarstead to Helgen. To pick up Nettlebane and do the next step of Clavicus Vile's quest. Pft, thought it'd do great to have an invincible follower in Barbas... but it's not all that cracked up to be. Mostly his constant barking and... he interferes with sneaking. Ah well...

Well, will do Morthal stuff next time...

How does one end up having a vile clavicle?

How do you tend to play Skyrim in terms of combat (Or do you go the tried and true "I'll shoot him in the ass while so stealthy I could walk into Fort Knox undetected")

5 minutes ago, Dayni said:

How does one end up having a vile clavicle?

How do you tend to play Skyrim in terms of combat (Or do you go the tried and true "I'll shoot him in the ass while so stealthy I could walk into Fort Knox undetected")

Why fight when you can just Conjure stuff to fight for you?

But seriously, thanks to hotkeys, I first do a sneak arrow attack (even better when having the Bow of Shadows from the Creation Club / Anniversary Edition), then quickly conjure something to distract them... then go for sniping with magic from afar.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

And not gonna deny, I use the Elemental X spells due to their AoE because I can't aim worth a damn... XD Unless the enemy stays put for like five seconds, but then that means it's attacking me...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Finished RF5.

Well, the main story anyway. Still would like to marry before I can say I've had my fill of the game. Just need to get Ludmila's LP up to 7.

I have some somewhat lengthy thoughts on the game, being relatively mixed overall.

I think the game does a reasonably decent job of capturing the essence of what makes Rune Factory fun, though it's somewhat lacking in the areas that usually pull me in the most. I never got attached to most of the townsfolk or the world nearly as much as I did in 4, nor did I ever fall into a nice rhythm with the farming system.

With how unpolished the game is in general, you'd think it's their first 3D entry, not to mention how clunky everything feels to interact with on the whole. Farming feels like a choppy chore rather than a snappy breeze like it was, and there's still plenty to the mechanics that feel incredibly dated like something that ought to be simple, like arranging items in the home/player's bedroom. I get there's gonna be some growing pains in the move back to 3D, but the extent to which the game feels like a step back in that regard is kind of ridiculous.

That kinda reflects on how the game has pulled back on elements that made RF so charming, like the event system, for instance. The way things are set up now, you can clearly see which events happen and who they're a trigger for at any time, but that removes a lot of the fun of unexpectedly stumbling upon events through simple exploration and such. Random events have their downsides, but I'd still prefer a system like that in a life sim that has no real sense of urgency anyway. Also an odd choice to make all character events automatically categorized as romantic events, even if the event in question has no romantic overtones at all. Not exactly a bad change, just an odd one, IMO.

Or the change to slow down how fast time passes. It was never not annoying to have to wait for the shops to open every morning just to buy some basic items like recipe bread or something.

Other changes are just stupid, like ffs you can't even name your farm. Literally why.

I've prob already mentioned performance before, but it really does suck ass. Not even exaggerating. It's just awful. The game looks like a PS2/Wii era game and runs like it's being played on a potato. Can't convince me it's a Switch problem on the same system that runs a looker like Monster Hunter Rise.

I didn't have any real expectations for 5 going in, tbh. Hard to know what the game was gonna be like until I played it for myself, but it really doesn't hold a candle to 4's cast, world, charm, and gameplay. Doesn't make it bad, but it's hard moving from one entry to another, especially when the newer entry is the weaker one.

Story-wise, it's solid. Nothing exceptional, but nothing bad. Standard JRPG fare, more or less. The townsfolk are overall nice characters. Some forgettable, but mostly pleasant. For the bachelors, Martin ended up being my favorite, with Ryker as a close second by game's end. For the bachelorettes, Ludmila was an unexpected delight. The "obsessive" aspect to her never comes across in an offensive way like I thought it would. Nice subverting of what could've been hella annoying there. Though I will say that overall the bachelorettes were on the weak side as characters. Ludmila is a notable exception and it's not really even close. It's much more even footing for the guys in that way.

Also really fond of Heinz, Murakumo, and Simone. They're cool too. Heinz puns ftw.

I've been mostly negative, huh. RF5's definitely not a bad game by any means, despite all the gripes I have with it. It's just that it's strengths are far fewer compared to how glaring the problems are. The music is lovely, and the art style is actually decent despite the technical issues. Art direction's noticeably weaker compared to previous games, but it's still good all the same. The town being big and spacious is fine on paper, but the town is too barren to make good use of that space. Wasted potential.

Summing up, RF5 is good. It doesn't feel as engaging or charming as 4 did for me, but it's still solid. I'd just never recommend it over 4 as a first RF game, or over 4 in general.

Worth playing but prob not at full price/10.

----------

Wholesome.

FUDtWFHUYAA8K9d?format=jpg&name=large

16 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Any computer experts, 'round?

From what I was told, under $1000 USD is considered "budget" for a gaming laptop. As for what defines high end... I forget exactly, but if it crosses the $2000 threshold, it's definitely expensive! $1400-1800 might be the middle ground.

When looking at a gaming laptop, prioritize the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) aka "Graphics Card", it's the most important aspect when determining performance. The best CPU (Central Processing Unit) is a waste if it doesn't have a GPU able to fully exploit it.

• AMD Ryzen and Intel are the two GPU brands around, and Ryzen is currently stronger than Intel when comparing comparable GPUs, though it won't make any real difference.
  • For Ryzen, I believe a Ryzen 7 is the preferred minimum for a gaming laptop, a Ryzen 9 is even better. I believe Intel is similarly i7 and i9 right now too.

With regards to RAM- at least 8 GB, preferably 16 GB, 32 GB is high end.

For storage, 250 GB is very cramped, 500 GB is the minimum you should accept, 1 terabyte is ideal. However, I'd place storage towards the bottom of concerns. You can always purchase an external hard drive for more space. On sale, you ought to be able to find an external hard drive of 1 TB for less than $100 USD.

With regards to battery life, don't expect to get too many hours out of a laptop when gaming. 2-3 hours should be expectable for most modern games even with the energy-saving settings, older ones, those less technically demanding (2D, not-action/realtime) and old emulation will make the battery last longer. The laptop getting hot may also be a concern, as a laptop stuffs a lot of stuff in a thin space with minimal room to dissipate the heat or fit fans in (and what fans exist might run loud).

13 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Haha... yeah, you're probably right. It's just that one of the symptoms of my Asperger's (ten years of therapy and improvement or not, I still have it) is difficulty to accept change.

I don't remember you saying this before. Did I miss it somehow?😅

That's three of us in this topic. 

I was diagnosed back in either second or third grade... so I would've been less than ten. The 90s and early 00s seems to have been when autism started acquiring public awareness in the United States. By the time I was in the sixth through eighth grades, so late 00s, my school was doing awareness fundraisers.

Public school tried putting me through speech and socialization therapy of some kind, but the socialization attempts all ultimately failed. I dunno, I guess one can't manufacture friendships, or that one can, and it simply didn't work for me. I appreciate all the efforts that were made, and I kinda wish they hadn't fizzled -maybe I wouldn't find myself as I am if they didn't. I accept some blame for this. But, how in the Nine Circles of Hell could I explain to myself around 14 years ago that'd I'd end up depressed, stagnant in life, and finding tragicomedy escapism in anime men lancing each other?

...I can't help but talk about myself, can't I?😒

Lack of social awareness is showing! Turns out I'm not as "not that autistic" as I like to stubbornly insist I am.😆

Which reminds me, I was skimming Netflix b/c family subscription for some documentaries I might be interested in. And I cannot bring myself to watch either the one about a bunch of young Aspie friends that perform comedy together, nor Love on the Spectrum (which a review or two I glimpsed suggested might be exploitive of the openness of the autistic individuals, I don't know the details). In both cases, I can't bring myself to face others who resemble myself.

And yet, here I am having no qualms nor hiccups chatting to people over the Internet who coincidentally are like me. Across the Atlantic in Hibernia and Aragon & Castile of all places. This has succeeded where the public education system failed. How odd it is, that a certain cesspit of a gaming website, that led me to SF, where I stalked as nonmember until a burning desire to play TearRing Saga led me to finally join, which has led me to the happy times of Teehee.🙃 The surreality of life.

15 hours ago, Dayni said:

-Let me guess, you feel they're treating you like a child? What, do they think you'd overreact or something?

15 hours ago, Dayni said:

Well, I'll say "my sympathies" for you and your family.

If you end up feeling the need to vent some grief or depression, we'll be here to listen.🙂

7 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Summing up, RF5 is good. It doesn't feel as engaging or charming as 4 did for me, but it's still solid. I'd just never recommend it over 4 as a first RF game, or over 4 in general.

Worth playing but prob not at full price/10.

Darned.

Still, I'm going to pick it up eventually. Hopefully they'll have learned for RF6, RF5 has sold well enough to justify another entry. It was nine years between pre-Special 4 and 5, I would like to think it's rustiness and a failure to catch up with modern specs, as opposed to an irredeemable lack of talent at Marvelous. It seems like Story of Seasons has been going through the same rough patch recently. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

When looking at a gaming laptop, prioritize the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) aka "Graphics Card", it's the most important aspect when determining performance. The best CPU (Central Processing Unit) is a waste if it doesn't have a GPU able to fully exploit it.

I know nothing about laptops (or computers), but I can second this- When I try to play something like the original Dark Souls (Not even the Remaster), I use about 8% of my CPU and 92% of my GPU... And it runs at about 15 FPS at best.

And don't even talk to me about Yakuza 0's performance. Zoinks.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I wish I'd asked you guys about laptops before I bought mine...

I would like to add my condolences as well, @Dayni.

46 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

From what I was told, under $1000 USD is considered "budget" for a gaming laptop. As for what defines high end... I forget exactly, but if it crosses the $2000 threshold, it's definitely expensive! $1400-1800 might be the middle ground.

• AMD Ryzen and Intel are the two GPU brands around, and Ryzen is currently stronger than Intel when comparing comparable GPUs, though it won't make any real difference.
  • For Ryzen, I believe a Ryzen 7 is the preferred minimum for a gaming laptop, a Ryzen 9 is even better. I believe Intel is similarly i7 and i9 right now too.

For storage, 250 GB is very cramped, 500 GB is the minimum you should accept, 1 terabyte is ideal. However, I'd place storage towards the bottom of concerns. You can always purchase an external hard drive for more space. On sale, you ought to be able to find an external hard drive of 1 TB for less than $100 USD.

With regards to battery life, don't expect to get too many hours out of a laptop when gaming. 2-3 hours should be expectable for most modern games even with the energy-saving settings, older ones, those less technically demanding (2D, not-action/realtime) and old emulation will make the battery last longer. The laptop getting hot may also be a concern, as a laptop stuffs a lot of stuff in a thin space with minimal room to dissipate the heat or fit fans in (and what fans exist might run loud).

Interesante. I definitely don't think I can afford anything above 900 but it's good to know some of these terms so I know what to look for. Thank you greatly.

51 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And yet, here I am having no qualms nor hiccups chatting to people over the Internet who coincidentally are like me. Across the Atlantic in Hibernia and Aragon & Castile of all places. This has succeeded where the public education system failed. How odd it is, that a certain cesspit of a gaming website, that led me to SF, where I stalked as nonmember until a burning desire to play TearRing Saga led me to finally join, which has led me to the happy times of Teehee.🙃 The surreality of life.

They say you don't find happiness as much as happiness finds you, and that you only find what you are looking for when you stop looking for it.

9 hours ago, Dayni said:

o be fair these grandparents aren't young and have got multiple maladies at this stage, so in one sense it's a relief. It'll of course hit when it happens, but we've seen the decline over time, especially for the other one and it's a realistic case that they die around the same time so that might hurt more (especially as that's it for my grandparents) but arguably worse for the decline to continue on, and on, and on, and on.

Also very sorry to have missed this.

You have my deepest sympathies.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Still, I'm going to pick it up eventually. Hopefully they'll have learned for RF6, RF5 has sold well enough to justify another entry. It was nine years between pre-Special 4 and 5, I would like to think it's rustiness and a failure to catch up with modern specs, as opposed to an irredeemable lack of talent at Marvelous. It seems like Story of Seasons has been going through the same rough patch recently. 

Indeed. I'm decently optimistic for the series going forward, and just happy that we're getting new games at all, tbh.

Hopefully all the kinks'll get worked out.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-Let me guess, you feel they're treating you like a child? What, do they think you'd overreact or something?

Knowing them, they'd expect an overreaction. They seem to have the idea that I'm not someone who can take news of death well and become a blubbering mess based off of responses that are from near decades ago, when the more appropriate comparison would have been the news of my other grandad's death.

Course, said person in particular gets under my skin super easy with how they act.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That's three of us in this topic. 

I feel like at least one more suggested they had it it and we've questioned it for at least one other, Teehee seems to do that.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Funny how things pan out.

Also, what cesspit?

2 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Interesante. I definitely don't think I can afford anything above 900 but it's good to know some of these terms so I know what to look for. Thank you greatly.

For further comment, in terms of the hard drive you want inside, SSD tends to be much better for general running that it can be fine to go for 256GB for the internal drive at least, though you're looking at higher price points than I would and may be able to pick up something which has a larger SSD storage, but if you can spare it while getting a more powerful machine I'd consider getting the drive separately if you have to (say, the llaptop as a whole is much better than anything else at that price point but has a HDD in it).

Course, I would make sure to look at the types of storage said machine can use: if it says it has PCIe available, it can have the super small SSDs attached (and if it also uses SATA, you can have multiple drives at once, which could be useful for dual booting, but I'm going to stop there). Make sure you know what said machine has if, say, your current drive bricks.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well, I'll say "my sympathies" for you and your family.

If you end up feeling the need to vent some grief or depression, we'll be here to listen.🙂

1 hour ago, Benice said:

I would like to add my condolences as well, @Dayni.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Also very sorry to have missed this.

You have my deepest sympathies.

Hey now, they're not gone yet.

Though it's telling my brother's planning on heading up more, so chances are it won't be long.

4 hours ago, Dayni said:

Knowing them, they'd expect an overreaction. They seem to have the idea that I'm not someone who can take news of death well and become a blubbering mess based off of responses that are from near decades ago, when the more appropriate comparison would have been the news of my other grandad's death.

Oh, so indeed they're relying on rather outdated knowledge.

On death, speaking personally, when the last of my grandparents died while I was in college, I did go to their open casket wake. Perhaps surprisingly for one who has on several occasions gone into a funks where I frequently repeat to myself "I don't want to die, I don't want to die! -But I know I will!", it didn't trigger me. The still visage of who was and is no longer didn't have any particular effect on me, not that I can remember. Seeing people dying, is what can send me off the emotional cliff so it would seem.

4 hours ago, Dayni said:

Also, what cesspit?

SFAQs has a policy against bad-mouthing other sites. I'm inclined to obey it.😉

The site wasn't 100% bad though. Etrian Odyssey had a chill and very usefully informative community there.

6 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Acer Nitro 5. I recall seeing that as frequently mentioned and praised as the "budget" gaming laptop. Check the reviews.

Dell G15 is another good sub-1000 pick. So I'm told.

6 hours ago, Benice said:

know nothing about laptops (or computers), but I can second this- When I try to play something like the original Dark Souls (Not even the Remaster), I use about 8% of my CPU and 92% of my GPU... And it runs at about 15 FPS at best.

And don't even talk to me about Yakuza 0's performance. Zoinks.

Yakuza 0 FPS? Does the frame rate go negative and you see time being rewound?

6 hours ago, Benice said:

I wish I'd asked you guys about laptops before I bought mine...

I only got mine late last year after about a year of researching the stuff.😆

The only not-turn based game my very competent mid-tier laptop has played so far is Haven. Which runs smoothly, although it is a relaxed, cel-shaded indie game, not the best determinant of performance.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

37 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Oh, so indeed they're relying on rather outdated knowledge.

And us being messy with each other to be honest. I am honestly my worst with them.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

On death, speaking personally, when the last of my grandparents died while I was in college, I did go to their open casket wake. Perhaps surprisingly for one who has on several occasions gone into a funks where I frequently repeat to myself "I don't want to die, I don't want to die! -But I know I will!", it didn't trigger me. The still visage of who was and is no longer didn't have any particular effect on me, not that I can remember. Seeing people dying, is what can send me off the emotional cliff so it would seem.

I was a pallbearer for my other grandad, it was a bad idea because I was so much taller than the others and had to scoot down to be level with everyone. The entire leg of the journey down the cemetery.

I'm assuming that's been figured out on this side in advance.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

SFAQs has a policy against bad-mouthing other sites. I'm inclined to obey it.😉

Gotcha 😉