Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You know, I only recently found that Pirate Warriors is actually One Piece Warriors. I'll admit this made my passing interest on the game, as a Mosou game on PC, take a blow. Is there an original Mosou game or is it a Lego kinda thing where every game in the franchise is based on some other property?

Dynasty Warriors (Shin Sangoku Musou in Japanese). The original released in 2000, and now it's on Dynasty Warriors 9/Shin Sangoku Musou 8, which released in 2018 to a disastrous reception.

There is also Samurai Warriors (Sengoku Musou in Japanese). The original released in 2004, and now it's on Samurai Warriors 5, released in 2021 to fairly positive results.

These two franchises are the origins of Musou.

The former is based on the Three Kingdoms period of Chinese history (~184-280 AD), the latter on the later part of the Sengoku period of Japanese history (~1580-1615 AD). Both of these being times of "glorified chaos" as I would describe it. Life at the times was probably shitty, unstable and violent for many ("Use arrows on the silver miners if they won't work" -wrote one Sengoku era feudal lord). But, looking back from the present day where we in the first world countries have peace and comfort, these bygone eras were cool, with lots of ambitious warlords all at once fighting for control of China/Japan. The Musou genre began with the thought "What if we made a video game where you could feel like an ancient warrior of legend?".

Each game in Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors features the same story being retold a little differently from the last time. With the same major battles and same major players in the politics, leading to the same outcomes. Although the each portrayal of each person can deviate somewhat from game to game, and gameplay mechanics get tweaked, battles redesigned to a degree, and new characters gets added. Characters are inevitably "anime" in appearance, and their personalities sure are exaggerated, but Sangoku & Sengoku Musou do have some old men alongside the pretty boys and young ladies. 

I will firmly assert that Musou is not for you. It is in all likelihood mindless beyond what you can tolerate. Don't feel bad about not being able to enjoy it, Musou is not for everyone, inevitably, any conversation about Musou will draw in critics who find it button-mashy and not fun at all, who also claim that every game is exactly the same garbage. Musou is an acquired taste, perhaps resembling cheesy action films. -And yet, I still enjoy them.🙂

• Replies 178.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The former is based on the Three Kingdoms period of Chinese history (~184-280 AD), the latter on the later part of the Sengoku period of Japanese history (~1580-1615 AD). Both of these being times of "glorified chaos" as I would describe it. Life at the times was probably shitty, unstable and violent for many ("Use arrows on the silver miners if they won't work" -wrote one Sengoku era feudal lord). But, looking back from the present day where we in the first world countries have peace and comfort, these bygone eras were cool, with lots of ambitious warlords all at once fighting for control of China/Japan. The Musou genre began with the thought "What if we made a video game where you could feel like an ancient warrior of legend?".

Dynasty Warriors is more based on the fictional historical drama Romance of the Three Kingdoms, so it could count as "not original" from a certain point as its based on a pre-existing property (some of the DW characters didn't existed historically, only in the novel). So Samurai Warriors is the only truly original, as original it can be based on historical events.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Dynasty Warriors is more based on the fictional historical drama Romance of the Three Kingdoms, so it could count as "not original" from a certain point (some of the DW characters didn't existed historically, only in the novel). So Samurai Warriors is the only truly original, as original it can be based on historical events.

I know the Romance is part of it, Sun Shangxiang's portrayal owes much to it for one. But cut me a break for not wanting confuse someone inquisitive with that perhaps extraneous detail. And yes, I consider it arguably extraneous in a certain context, since most people and events Dynasty Warriors covers were ultimately real.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I know the Romance is part of it, Sun Shangxiang's portrayal owes much to it for one. But cut me a break for not wanting confuse someone inquisitive with that perhaps extraneous detail. And yes, I consider it arguably extraneous in a certain context, since most people and events Dynasty Warriors covers were ultimately real.

I mean, not telling would cause more confusion.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Dynasty Warriors (Shin Sangoku Musou in Japanese).

Ahhh!

The original released in 2000, and now it's on Dynasty Warriors 9/Shin Sangoku Musou 8, which released in 2018 to a disastrous reception.

Oh.

There is also Samurai Warriors (Sengoku Musou in Japanese). The original released in 2004, and now it's on Samurai Warriors 5, released in 2021 to fairly positive results.

Ahh, aha.

These two franchises are the origins of Musou.

Each game in Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors features the same story being retold a little differently from the last time. With the same major battles and same major players in the politics, leading to the same outcomes. Although the each portrayal of each person can deviate somewhat from game to game, and gameplay mechanics get tweaked, battles redesigned to a degree, and new characters gets added. Characters are inevitably "anime" in appearance, and their personalities sure are exaggerated, but Sangoku & Sengoku Musou do have some old men alongside the pretty boys and young ladies. 

Historical, eh? That's all right.

I will firmly assert that Musou is not for you. It is in all likelihood mindless beyond what you can tolerate. Don't feel bad about not being able to enjoy it, Musou is not for everyone, inevitably, any conversation about Musou will draw in critics who find it button-mashy and not fun at all, who also claim that every game is exactly the same garbage. Musou is an acquired taste, perhaps resembling cheesy action films. -And yet, I still enjoy them.🙂

Ah, well. To each their own.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I mean, not telling would cause more confusion.

-Tell at a later time then. Drip-feed information.😅

You're also leaving out how Baosanniang is neither historical, nor a creation of the Romance. And IIRC, Xingcai is a Musou-original merger of two Zhang Fei's daughters. To get yet deeper into the reeds.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-Tell at a later time then. Drip-feed information.😅

You're also leaving out how Baosanniang is neither historical, nor a creation of the Romance. And IIRC, Xingcai is a Musou-original merger of two Zhang Fei's daughters. To get yet deeper into the reeds.

Indeed. Dynasty Warriors is basically an adaptation of an adaptation.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yeah in an ideal world, we listen to both sides and look at the evidence to determine who's telling the truth but we can't have nice things. Though Johnny Depp is innocent, Amber Heard has definitely made it harder for female domestic abuse victims to come forward, which isn't good.

On paper this would be messed up but it ain't like Heard or her team have been making convincing arguments of the opposite nature, there's been so many contradictions, not to mention the most damning (in most people's eyes) audio recording of Heard telling Depp "no one will believe you're the victim". To top it all off, their initial argument was "Heard's op-ed wasn't about Johnny Depp" and literally the day before closing, Heard said "Johnny Depp is powerful, that's why i wrote the op-ed about him" which is just......six weeks just for her to come out and say it at the end.

The tl;dr is that the arguments made in Johnny Depp's favor are consistent and backed up by receipts and Johnny Depp himself admits to his demons. The arguments made in Amber Heard's favor are full of holes and Heard herself swears she's done nothing wrong, despite the evidence being contrary.

Of course, proving defamation is extremely hard (hence the tactics being used) but i think it's fair to say it wasn't about winning or losing the case. Depp wanted to get his voice heard and it seems the court of public opinion has sided with him. You didn't see this with actual monsters like Weinstein.

UK trial was just shady in general. I mean, it technically wasn't about Heard, it was about British tabloid The Sun.....and the judge that ruled in it's favor has a son working for the company which definitely sounds like a conflict of interest, among other things.

It's arguably more the discourse that has arisen from this case than Heard to my mind.

It's true that the handling of the case from Depp and Heard makes it easier to take Depp's arguments, but I especially mentioned the psychiatrist brought in to argue her diagnosis as a messed up example and that it could make people trying to get diagnosed for mental health issues have a harder time (people diagnosing themselves during to gain sympathy is also a problem for me, in that I'd worry about the possibility of lying about having something to get a lighter sentence. This is the kind of stigma I'd worry would develop and here I am displaying it, though I was thinking about a more heinous case.).

Hearing about the judge having a son in the Sun (heh), I'm not necessarily surprised, though I wonder how much that son couldn't enter law with the connections he had. Course, it being a case involving the Sun was also not going to help my opinion on the matter

19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

* The JRPG in question is Chrono Trigger. You know, the JRPG that I've played all the way up to the final boss. Wow, it really has been a long time. I don't even recognize any music that isn't  the boss themes or the church organ... But then, it's only natural. I'm pretty sure I hadn't even played Fire Emblem back when I played this game.

Huh, same.

I'm not interested in One Piece myself. But I just skip all the cutscenes, so it's like whatever. I don't need to know about the D to punch mooks in the face.

Edited by BrightBow

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Pfft... There's something rather humorous about this. A guy living in a country that goes mad over football has to be told his country won by someone living in one of the countries that lost.

It wasn't a national competition, but a club competition xD

So it's not Spain that won, but Real Madrid.

The National competition this year is the world cup...and it will be in Winter thanks to it being in Qatar

Edited by Shrimpolaris

20 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

It wasn't a national competition, but a club competition xD

So it's not Spain that won, but Real Madrid.

Oh.

Well, neat. Good to know.

Actually, I do have an allegiance when it comes to clubs. When I was a wee lad, I came home and asked my dad about our football loyalties, because everyone at school was always passionately arguing about either the Real Madrid or the Barça. My dad said we were all for the Betis. I questioned why, since nobody else ever talked about Betis. He asked me if I fought with anyone over Betis.

So yeah. Betis boy for life. Viva er Betis, manque pierda. I haven't watched a single one of their matches in my entire life, but they sure are convenient.

20 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

The National competition this year is the world cup...and it will be in Winter thanks to it being in Qatar

I wish the best of luck to all involved.

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Actually, I do have an allegiance when it comes to clubs. When I was a wee lad, I came home and asked my dad about our football loyalties, because everyone at school was always passionately arguing about either the Real Madrid or the Barça. My dad said we were all for the Betis. I questioned why, since nobody else ever talked about Betis. He asked me if I fought with anyone over Betis.

Ah soccer rivalry.

Your dad had the right of picking a team people wouldn't argue with you about, like them or Athleti

Wish I had that talk, might have not had a bunch of water thrown on me heading back from school one year. Don't think it would have helped, but still.

32 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I for once am ready for my country to place in the Top 16... again.

I am ready to see mine not be in it..... again.

Man these last two decades has been appalling overall.

6 minutes ago, Benice said:

Happy birthday @DragonFlames! I'm still so very glad I got to meet you, and I hope life's been treating you better lately.

Seconding for @DragonFlames, hope you're doing your best my man!

16 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Ah soccer rivalry.

Your dad had the right of picking a team people wouldn't argue with you about, like them or Athleti

Thanks, dad!

He did specifically pick a team with green colors. That's... really the only thing setting them above the rest. Good pick!

16 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Wish I had that talk, might have not had a bunch of water thrown on me heading back from school one year. Don't think it would have helped, but still.

People just lose their heads over something so petty as a supposedly "friendly" sports competition that they're not even involved with. I'm truly sorry that happened to you.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

People just lose their heads over something so petty as a supposedly "friendly" sports competition that they're not even involved with. I'm truly sorry that happened to you.

Eh, the people who did it were dicks anyway.

I said it wouldn't have changed much and I meant it, they would have done it if I had something else on.

22 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Group G is the friendship group apparently.