[OC] Basics Mafia - Day 3

Life

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviam never claimed vig, that was more of an misunderstanding on your people's part than him slipping.

But yeah I was the freezer

were planning to lynch paperblade after killing rapier and lynching boron, I think it actually would have worked

I never slipped that I was scum either. That was you misreading what I said the way cam misread that I was vig. If you can't catch me slipping on purpose it's no wonder you had no idea who the last mafia team was.

Shinori and SB had to be butts and get themselves killed or I would have confirmed them as mafia and opened communication with them somehow. That said, the town was in the dark and few enough that we would have been fine. I eventually decided "fuck it, I'll not risk being backstabbed and just play it like regular 1 mafia vs. 1 town" while keeping in mind that the rules said that the town would still lose even with perfect lynching. They were doing pretty perfect at the time too thanks Shiwhori

Oh, I should also mention that in most mafia games I sweat bullets when I'm lying but I didn't "get scared" as mancer likes to put it this entire game. It was basically snoozeville.

j00 had obtained logs in which prims basically said "yeah p sure obviam is town" and that took care of any fears I had. We confirmed Prims was town on n0 and seducing prims became my first priority, so all I really cared about was his opinion. If mancer thought I was scum then whatever, he wasn't town and Prims was the closest thing to a leader they had after deciding to cripple paperblade with our freeze. Mancer also did a really good job of getting people to think every thing he said was a lie, too, so no one listened to him anyway.

Edited by Aleph

I'll be honest, Aleph and j00 BOTH pissed me off quite a bit in that last day (and Aleph throughout the entire game actually) which is part of the reason I lost my motivation. If that was the intent, congrats. You succeeded. Now I know at least one person I don't ever want to play mafia with again.

I made valid points, but since I knew you weren't on my team and that you would likely lose your shit, I took advantage of it. That's how you play mafia games and if you can't steel yourself for a simple internet game that isn't a big deal then you're not fit to win. Or even play, in some cases. Hell it probably takes a toll on you outside of the game if you take things people say that seriously when they don't matter.

Life is one of many players I've played with who have 2 things in common with each other:

- They win often

- They play with peoples' emotions, including exaggerating their own

I've said it many times during the game; it's a valid skill (yes, Prims, pretending you suck at NOC so you can coast falls under "playing with emotions") and dirty or not, you can't rip on someone for playing to win. That's...kind of the point? Also it's hilarious

I actually would've lynched you after Cam if the game hadn't ended

but j00 was like last on my list because he was the only protective role claim

Not too surprising, but if I had to guess, it wasn't because I slipped like mancer thinks, but rather because I've been flying under the radar too easily with no one really targeting me, not to mention I never once addressed why I was trustworthy. I asked for opinions about people and gave my own all game and never let the conversation lead to me. If it had I'd have probably blown you off or something. Also, did you like my shitty fakeclaim? I think it's the same one I used in unicycle. That and j00 echoing my usage of the concept of "honeypotting" should have given us away. We did fuck up, but not the way mancer thinks.

If you do it because it helps you "win", I really can't argue with that. But please ... do NOT do it because it's hilarious. It's inconsiderate.

If you have to be a dick to win mafia, you're not as good as you think you are and I'm not saying this in an angry way either lol

Some of us like to win the hard way

The thing is

Being a dick doesn't work everywhere vs. providing calm logical arguments works everywhere.

Doing the former in a community that is composed more of people that keep their emotions in check won't work as well. It isn't even a matter of what's polite or considerate and what isn't, but resorting to the same tactics over and over doesn't help build you as a player, objectively. So if you would like to be a dick/use emotional appeals, go ahead, but it only displays a lack of skill in some cases really.

I'll compare it to college: some professors will let you off easy for not finishing homework on time but others won't. Finishing your homework on time works everywhere! Excuses on why you didn't do it in time work on some professors but not all. Plus, doing your homework tends to help you learn more.

Edited by Levanto

- They play with peoples' emotions, including exaggerating their own

Exaggerating your own emotions is acting. Acting is what Mafia is all about when you're scum, and is also a skill. I wouldn't categorize it under emotional manipulation since literally everybody has exaggerated their emotion as scum at one point. "Pretending you suck at NOC to coast" falls under this as well.

Play2win generally has Play2havefun as a corollary, which is why you don't do shit that makes the game less fun for other people on a personal level. Note that throwing fits about emotional manipulation tends to make the game less fun for other people as much as being a dick in the first place does; it's noisy and brings badfeelings into the game.

In any case, as long as I'm having fun, I don't really care. If people are being dicks in a way that mitigates your ability to enjoy the game, you privately take it up with the mod and have the mod either tell that player to tone it down or sub you out. It generally stops being within the boundaries of the game if you're being a dick to the extent of making somebody want to sub out, since that's inconveniencing the mod as well.

I had fun at least.

Not gonna comment on the emotions debate, but Boron, I wasn't trying to be a dick. I was legitimately annoyed at you since while you being mad at Obviam was justified, being in a bad mood and whining in a game is a bad sport. I don't mind rebuttals and you yelling back at Obviam, but if most of your posts are "ugh just kill me already I don't even care about this game" it's disrespectful towards both the hosts and the other players.

What the hell was this game?

Srsly, unannounced NoFlip in OC Multifaction?

Life may I ask how many noflip games you've played in where it wasn't announced?

Yeah when Prims told me "if you're not the doctor I don't know who is" I later claimed BG. I just lucked out on that.

My play wasn't really good this game, but I learnt a lot from having Obviam on our team. My initial conversations were all rather awkward and he got most of the useful logs. I got a bit better later, though I still slipped.

Freezing Paperblade got the Shinori/Mancer wagon rolling and no one really paid attention to us for a while, and we chose to cop Prims because he was really good at talking and getting info. When we learnt he was QA he had to go.

Honestly Prims did pretty good on talking and getting info but his reads were off

Yeah, town had no protective roles and the Hooker was incapable of blocking kills. In Life's words, if you wanted someone dead, there was no way to stop that. It was done purposely because Life wanted to teach people the lesson of how to make temporary alliances and team up with one of the anti-town factions to get rid of another, and not use roles like Doc to get around the fact that if town didn't lynch SK D1, they needed to make the SK and the two scumteams crossfire.

For what it's worth, I thought Obviam played a pretty good game. A few of his posts seemed "off" to me but I never really pushed it or anything, and while there was a point where I figured he and j00 were the most likely alternate scumteam, after the claims came out I got pretty stuck on Boron/Cam and just assumed they were town. Had j00 gone on to win he probably would've deserved it; town's fault for assuming things about the set-up I guess.

I explicitly disagree with the choices of unannounced no flip and having Cam's cop fail on dead players, though. Generally even announced no flip games have a coroner of some sort; preventing the cop from scanning a player who dies in the same night and choosing not to reveal no flip until the first lynch just made this even worse.

You and Aleph still pissed me off even more than I already was. Do you really think I'm going to want to hear something like that when I'm already in a bad mood? If you think I'm acting out of line, just tell me to sub out or to leave until I'm in a better mood. There is no fucking need for name calling.

Ever considered that by having this attitude towards others could piss them off? I just don't find it fair for you to demand us being so considerate when you don't consider you may be ruining the fun for others acting this way. Why do I have to be the one to consider your emotions when you're not considering the emotions of the rest of the players or the hosts?

But I do admit I could have handled that better. I should have contacted the mod or you and told you to sub out instead of taking it to the thread.

Yes, I know, and I already apologized to Life for it. But honestly, if you're having a problem with the way I'm conducting myself, then TELL IT TO ME STRAIGHT instead of telling me I'm acting like a "spoiled brat". This will do nothing but put me in a WORSE mood and hate you. And I'm still not at all happy about that comment.