QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

It also could just be that I grew up on Chinese but most of my peer-to-peer interactions these days are in English where I feel more comfortable using more vulgar language

Whereas I speak Chinese to my parents whom I don't exact swear around

and a couple of Chinese friends I guess, but even then I don't casually insert the chinese equivalents of fuck and shit into my speech, I feel like Chinese isn't even built that way really? Like I still talk fairly roughly and stuff but I swear nowhere near as often

Still feels like it holds more power though

I think for me personally, English swears are fairly casual, I upgrade to Italian when I'm annoyed enough and have run out of english swears since it integrates better into english language, and go Chinese if I'm really fucking mad and people around me should run the fuck away

I'm not fluent in Italian though so while I have knowledge of Italian swears I don't really know their nuances or versatility

alas

would be interesting to examine them from a linguistics point of view

Edited by Thor Odinson

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But fuck if I have a particular favorite.

ah yes buttfuck is a good one too

read it at "fuckbunnies", which would be an amazing swear word if it existed

by reading it as that you have MADE it exist; use it freely

Still feels like it holds more power though

I think a lot of non swear words can hold more power than swear words if you use them well (and that swear words themselves can have more power if you time them right). I always really liked the idea of calling someone a "clown" if they're being a real...well, clown. Prepending a "fucking" helps with that one, though, so not the best example

I also really like qualifying with "bloody" over the usual "fucking" if I'm for serious, e.g. contrast "yer a fuckin' douche" with "you bloody douche bag".

And just for fun there's also "xe's a right shitface" or even the combo "yer a right bloody pussball" ew that felt nasty to type.

Edited by Kaname

I think a lot of non swear words can hold more power than swear words if you use them well (and that swear words themselves can have more power if you time them right). I always really liked the idea of calling someone a "clown" if they're being a real...well, clown. Prepending a "fucking" helps with that one, though, so not the best example

Oh yeah I agree, I always felt insulting someone where it really hurts and matters does a far better job than just calling them a motherfucking asshole or something, but yes, adding fucking as an intensifier always helps

speaking of asshole though

I'm fond of it, though not to the degree of fuck and shit, since everyone (hopefully) has one so it's not discriminatory, so it's not debasing on them based on mostly uncontrollable/not easily changed factors

It's where feces comes out and I fucking hope everyone can poop

therefore calling someone an asshole literally means they're full of shit and shit comes out of their mouth it's actually pretty great

But I also use asshole in an endearing way sometimes so lol

I like big butts and i cannot lie

Edited by Thor Odinson

Cunt.

The hypocrisy some of the people exhibit when I use that word is rather amusing.

Yes. Very.

I also like the word fitta, which is cunt in Swedish.

I like the words shit and fuck accordingly. I like curse words in general.

Usually it would be shit but shite is an alternative that's a lot more fun to say. Also confuses anyone who isn't british. Wank/wanker, too.

Edited by Tryhard

literally means they're full of shit and shit comes out of their mouth

This is also why I like asshole as an insult, although if I really want to drive home the point of "everything you say is shit, shit comes out of your mouth as if it were an anus" then I would sooner call them an assface.

I like assface.

Edited by Kaname

Question 274. Would you rather have a reputation for being too serious or not serious enough?

Edited by Parrhesia

This is kind of hard to say, honestly. A reputation for either can be kinda nice as a characteristic, depending on how it's viewed. It can also be viewed in an awful light. Like to some people the person that is too serious might just seem very straightlaced and by-the-books, a real go-to guy. But on the other hand many might think he's just a huge asshole with no sense of humor. On the other hand while someone that is lackadaisical can be seen as carefree and timeless, they can also seem like a huge immature manchild.

i'm pretty happy with this question ngl

i haven't a reputation for either but at times have been criticised for both. I've felt far less like a shitlord accused of being too straight-laced.

I guess too serious, because then I can surprise people when they find out I'm actually a huge piece of shit

Basically this.

Reactions are more fun when people expect you to be super serious.

I dunno I've been perceived as too serious and too laid-back in different context. I'd like to be perceived as balanced but I'm sure everyone does

Going from the title, I assumed the question would be less about perception and more about how we'd actually rather (least) be. I was going to say I'd rather be able to get shit done and be a bit awkward about it (as opposed to being both awkward and incompetent, hi)

Guess it depends on the context for me. I'd much rather my employers or teachers think I'm too stiff than to have them think of me as a fuckoff, but on friendly terms.. I guess it gets even more context-dependent. I've sorta had the former happen, and have at times worried about both possibilities (or just how I might come off in general) so much that people took the silence as aloofness. There's a lot I can find worry about if I let myself: "being so serious people find you unapproachable" or "being so earnest with your concern that you're off-putting" for the former, and "giving the impression you can't keep something said in confidence quiet" or "giving the impression you care about things/others so little that there'd be no point in coming to you" for the latter.

dunno!

too serious

at least then I can look like I'm not a giant procrastinator and is totally on task with shit and get a job considering my field of study has tons of deadlines all the time

job = money

I'm not exactly looking for job as a comedian

Edited by Thor Odinson

If things are serious, then something's going down. I don't want people to brush me off when something goes down. Ergo, I'd rather be too serious.