Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

If you're talking about the banner thread, that's because I edited the title.

ICE DRAGON TO THE RESCUE!

I'm not really feeling this one though XD

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

9 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

meh I'll pull if they have good stats

Spoiler

Their weapons are pretty good whether or not they have good stats. +2 Atk/Spd/Def/Res -2 hp at fight end is basically a Fury 2 with stricter trigger condition (100% hp), but less cost (Fury costs 4 hp at level 2).

If they have 2 MT below silvers, then it's effectively 2hp for +2 Spd/Def/Res at full hp, which is still a pretty good trade for a lot of units.

If the weapons have dumpster tier (that is, killer weapon level) MT, though, then I'd probably just pass.

Edit: Spoilered because this is totally a thing that is reasonable and conducive to discussion.

Double Edit: I should just spoiler things every time I talk to a mod, now that I think about it. After like 5 posts like that they'll probably decide that they can't be arsed to open the spoilers, though. (Which proves my point, but doesn't change anything.)

Edited by DehNutCase

15 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

I'd rather torture one person for a hundred years than have 100,000 people get punched once in the stomach.

That's an odd analogy. You're saying ~8 hours of torture for the tortured person is better than one punch in the stomach for a punched person? I'd certainly rather get punched in the stomach once than get tortured for 8 hours.

This kind of approach only works when the numbers involved actually work out such that the small punishment multiplied by the number of people it affects really does add up to something that can reasonably be called a bigger deal than the single bigger punishment. With spoiler tagging, that's not a viable argument. There are lots of people who find spoilers quite unpleasant, and no matter how silly you may think that is, it's a tiny amount of trouble to take a few seconds to tag them.

"Stay off the sites to avoid the spoilers" isn't a better alternative, either. Which is worse: 1000 people have to each spend a few seconds using a tag where appropriate, or 10 people have to entirely avoid sites they otherwise enjoy? That's an easy question to answer, and I'm sure the actual ratio is much more than 1 in 100.

Just be respectful.

Say, any possibility of an alt costume banner (outside of the CYL poll) with more traditional outfits? For example, Tiki wielding a sword and wearing myrmidon garb instead of something "seasonal" or "out-of-the-ordinary".

I don't mean to complain, but I'd love to see "serious" alt appearances in addition to the wacky alts.

5 minutes ago, Othin said:

That's an odd analogy. You're saying ~8 hours of torture for the tortured person is better than one punch in the stomach for a punched person? I'd certainly rather get punched in the stomach once than get tortured for 8 hours.

This kind of approach only works when the numbers involved actually work out such that the small punishment multiplied by the number of people it affects really does add up to something that can reasonably be called a bigger deal than the single bigger punishment. With spoiler tagging, that's not a viable argument. There are lots of people who find spoilers quite unpleasant, and no matter how silly you may think that is, it's a tiny amount of trouble to take a few seconds to tag them.

"Stay off the sites to avoid the spoilers" isn't a better alternative, either. Which is worse: 1000 people have to each spend a few seconds using a tag where appropriate, or 10 people have to entirely avoid sites they otherwise enjoy? That's an easy question to answer, and I'm sure the actual ratio is much more than 1 in 100.

Just be respectful.

Just scale up the example up a bit, to 50k people being tortured vs. 100,000 people all being punched 50k times.

I can live in the first world if I'm reasonably lucky. I'm definitely crippled, probably dead, in the second one.

Edit: Also, I definitely consider 1000 people having to spoiler tag is worse than 10 people having to forswear such sites entirely. This is because, given their low numbers, the logical solution is to create a subforum/post for them, where spoilers are disallowed, rather than having the majority of the site be spoiler disallowed with a subforum/post where spoilers are allowed. The reason those 10 people have to forswear these sites entirely is because they're low enough in number than they won't be able to sustain an interesting subforum/post.

Also, while it's not completely true I don't respect them at all (I respect they way they get other people to respect them while not caring about how much they inconvenience other people---this is exactly how I like to live), I definitely respect them less than people who: A, have enough self control not to be spoilered or B, have enough consideration for others to realize the people 'spoilering' them aren't doing it to fuck with them personally, but rather because it's fun to discuss things that might be 'spoilery.'

Edited by DehNutCase

Y'know, I just realized that my dumb luck with greens is probably going to land me a Tiki. Purposely jinxing it so I can actually get a different unit. I'd like to get Tikini, but I have enough greens as it is. *cue getting 5 Hectors all +Res, -Atk in one summon as punishment*

Edited by Kaden

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

Just scale up the example up a bit, to 50k people being tortured vs. 100,000 people all being punched 50k times.

I can live in the first world if I'm reasonably lucky. I'm definitely crippled, probably dead, in the second one.

First of all, 100k is only double 50k, so at this point the numbers of people affected are getting fairly close together.

Second, this analogy is looking increasingly irrelevant. "Doing a slightly smaller harm to a larger number of people isn't an improvement if they're dead anyway" doesn't have any useful insights for the matter of spoiler tags.

2 minutes ago, Othin said:

First of all, 100k is only double 50k, so at this point the numbers of people affected are getting fairly close together.

Second, this analogy is looking increasingly irrelevant. "Doing a slightly smaller harm to a larger number of people isn't an improvement if they're dead anyway" doesn't have any useful insights for the matter of spoiler tags.

The analogy wasn't meant to be mathematically perfect anyway, it was a simple statement of:

I prefer to greatly harm a few number of people rather than minorly harm a large number of people.

Edit: This is basically the reverse of Stalin's "A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic." This, because I know a million deaths is not a statistic, it's 1 million times more significant than a single death. Most people don't live that way, though.

Edited by DehNutCase

6 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

The analogy wasn't meant to be mathematically perfect anyway, it was a simple statement of:

I prefer to greatly harm a few number of people rather than minorly harm a large number of people.

I'm well aware that was your intention. You may notice that what you ended up demonstrating was that "greatly harm a few people rather than slightly harm many people" is in fact a terrible response to some situations, and that whether it's worse to "greatly harm" a few people or to "slightly harm" many people depends completely on specific details of the situation. Insisting on the same answer for all situations that can be shoehorned into being represented that way is completely ridiculous.

Edited by Othin

9 minutes ago, Othin said:

I'm well aware that was your intention. You may notice that what you ended up demonstrating that "greatly harm a few people rather than slightly harm many people" is in fact a terrible response to some situations, and that whether it's worse to "greatly harm" a few people or to "slightly harm" many people depends completely on specific details of the situation. Insisting on the same answer for all situations that can be shoehorned into being represented that way is completely ridiculous.

Why is it more important for those few numbers of 'spoiler' phobic people to enjoy a completely spoiler free life in a given forum than for those 'spoiler' neutral or 'spoiler' philiac people not to have to bother wasting time to use spoilers and OPEN SPOILERS every time they want to talk about something?

The cost of spoilers tags isn't making them, it's opening them. You write a book only once, whereas every single reader reads it at least once.

They have neither the moral high ground: They certainly don't care about the spoiler philiacs or the spoiler neutrals; Nor the numbers: They're definitely out-numbered by the spoiler-philiacs + spoiler-neutrals; to necessitate preferential treatment. Logical treatment is giving them a subforum or post where they can be as spoiler free as they like, only everyone knows that doesn't work because there just isn't that many of them.

Edit: However, if the mobs belong in the 'spoiler-free' camp, then I completely agree with their decision. The entire point of taking up the responsibility of power is so you can use it to your own advantage.

Edited by DehNutCase

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

Why is it more important for those few numbers of 'spoiler' phobic people to enjoy a completely spoiler free life in a given forum than for those 'spoiler' neutral or 'spoiler' philiac people not to have to bother wasting time to use spoilers and OPEN SPOILERS every time they want to talk about something?

The cost of spoilers isn't making them, it's opening them. You write a book only once, whereas every single reader reads it at least once.

They have neither the moral high ground: They certainly don't care about the spoiler philiacs or the spoiler neutrals; Nor the numbers: They're definitely out-numbered by the spoiler-philiacs + spoiler-neutrals; to necessitate preferential treatment. Logical treatment is giving them a subforum or post where they can be as spoiler free as they like, only everyone knows that doesn't work because there just isn't that many of them.

Actually, we got an entire forum called "Serenes Forest Forums" where everyone can be as spoiler free as they like, unless people decide they're too good for that rule and decide to spoil people anyway. But most of the time, it seems to be working just fine.

Sorry for forcing you to click on a spoiler tag to see this, I know it must be an unpleasantness comparable to being punched in the stomach 50,000 times rather than just being a trivial and completely inconsequential inconvenience.

7 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Logical treatment is giving them a subforum or post where they can be as spoiler free as they like, only everyone knows that doesn't work because there just isn't that many of them.

We have a thread for the datamined banner. There's literally no reason we can't have separate threads for datamined content and confine discussion about them to those threads.

11 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

We have a thread for the datamined banner. There's literally no reason we can't have separate threads for datamined content and confine discussion about them to those threads.

The biggest reason is that most some people get their data mine knowledge from the reddit post directly, meaning they might not even notice the datamine banner thread until someone mentions it in this general discussion thread.

It usually takes me a day or two of knowing all about a given data-mined banner (from looking up the info on reddit), before I even notice we have a datamine thread on the forums. I refrain from talking about it as per the general rules, but I usually don't notice we have one until: someone mentions something spoilery, and then a mod tells them to take it to the data mine thread or something.

Edit: This is particularly the case recently, since Reddit's been stickeying their data-mine threads, while ours get buried under a dozen other things.

Double Edit: It doesn't help that the name has to be spoilered too, so there's no way of knowing if the thread's even the one you want just by looking at the title.

Edited by DehNutCase

10 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

The biggest reason is that most some people get their data mine knowledge from the reddit post directly, meaning they might not even notice the datamine banner thread until someone mentions it in this general discussion thread.

It usually takes me a day or two of knowing all about a given data-mined banner (from looking up the info on reddit), before I even notice we have a datamine thread on the forums. I refrain from talking about it as per the general rules, but I usually don't notice we have one until: someone mentions something spoilery, and then a mod tells them to take it to the data mine thread or something.

Edit: This is particularly the case recently, since Reddit's been stickeying their data-mine threads, while ours get buried under a dozen other things.

One, we're not Reddit.

Two, I think you've been here long enough to know that almost every time we have datamined information available, there is a thread about it within the hour.

15 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Double Edit: It doesn't help that the name has to be spoilered too, so there's no way of knowing if the thread's even the one you want just by looking at the title.

Puh-leeze. You're going to have to try harder than that. You're trying to tell me "[DATAMINED] Banner Leaded!" doesn't tell you what the thread is about?

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Puh-leeze. You're going to have to try harder than that. You're trying to tell me "[DATAMINED] Banner Leaded!" doesn't tell you what the thread is about?

Yes.

(lol okay I'll admit that was terrible)

Two, I think you've been here long enough to know that almost every time we have datamined information available, there is a thread about it within the hour.

I haven't, actually. I'm not actually in the habit of checking the threads. I mostly just scan for a couple threads I usually read and bail, so I'd only see the data-mine thread if it happened to be very near the top. But that's good to know, I guess.

Edit: And the data-mine thread doesn't actually count as one of the threads I 'usually read' anyway. It's too... general. I come to general thread for general things, but a lot of my focus is actually on unit builds, which gets lost in a fast moving 'general' thread about the data-mine.

I mean, we don't have the stats on any of the units right now, just the skills, so theory crafting is a bit weak anyway, but even once we do, I usually have to wait for it to be out 'proper' before I can speculate in the inheritance thread or here about it.

Edited by DehNutCase

How the fuck did I typo that?

11 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

One question and one question only: why no speedo Camus?

They're obviously saving the speedo treatment for Oliver, that's why. He is beauty incarnate after all, right?

Speaking of fabulous people, I wonder if Heroes can have the bandit twins. Might not work considering we're mostly fighting Embla troops and not bandits, but still, a GHB where you have to fight two different GHB units at once to get both would be pretty cool.

1 minute ago, Kaden said:

Speaking of fabulous people, I wonder if Heroes can have the bandit twins. Might not work considering we're mostly fighting Embla troops and not bandits, but still, a GHB where you have to fight two different GHB units at once to get both would be pretty cool.

I mean, we just did the Legion fight, where we fight like 5 different GHB units at once.