"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

6 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

1. +Spd -Atk Bride Cordelia with a Brave Bow actually has a better matchup spread than +Atk -Def Klein when both run Life and Death 3. Death Blow 3 has worse results for both so overall Bride Cordelia is better to invest in. Even so, I wouldn't suggest dumping his Brave Bow for her since all he really needs to have a comparable performance to her is that Life and Death investment. If you're set on not using him period, he gives Quick Riposte 3 which is currently 5* exclusive, so if one of your mains in arena uses QR you might want to grab that instead to improve your score. You can get Brave Bow from Gordin and Death Blow from Klein as a 4* anyway.

2. Vantage Kagero is a good choice if you want a unit dedicated for checking mages, but I can't give a more detailed answer unless you can provide the sets you're running for your current team members.

• Off the top of my head, Spring Camilla with Gronnblade is much more effective on a flier team with access to Hone and Fortify Fliers, but Gronnraven + Triangle Adept offers a fairly physically bulky blue check as well.
  • Lucina is a solid red sword all around, and you can't go wrong with picking her.
  • Ephraim, Eirika, and Delthea tend to be run for the support they offer -Blade mages, which I assume is what you're trying to do here with Spring Camilla, assuming she has Gronnblade?
  • Bride Cordelia is broken

Your current team seems fine as is though, at least to me.

Well no My Gronnblade is better off with my 5* +Spd/-Def merged Nino on my main team. If I had another Nino it would be great, but unfortunately I don't ( same with Klein). I'm trying to make a new team apart from my main team that counters nearly everything in a different way, and if I can't have that, then I at least want a good unit for mage checking. I think Kagero or B!Cordelia might be my best bet, but I don't even have any L&D fodder yet, which is why I'm confused and also partially angry. My Ephraim could probably use a Hone Spd support-ability boost and offer aid to my other units, but not to blade tome units as I don't have any more of those. I just got Klein, and I'm worried about losing something valuable, but I also want an OP unit at the same time. Klein has all the goods; Brave Bow+, Death Blow 3, and QR 3, but I can only choose one out of all of it to give to my other more valuable units. You reminded me I can use Gordin as 5* for Brave Bow+, which is good because I just pulled my first Gordin in 2-3 months, so now my options are a bit clearer. I guess a better question is; what would you do to modify this team with everything I've told you so far that I have?

- Lucina (+Atk/-HP), B!Cordelia (-Atk/+Spd), Ephraim (-HP/+Res), Spring Camilla(Garbage: -Atk/+Spd)

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Zeo said:

So that fateful ever reccuring question has reared it's head again. By monday I'll have enough feathers for another *5. Things are quite a bit different this time around though. I have a lot more coverage over things I need (not hurting for a blue mage, no shortage of green units anymore, etc) so this time around I'm not as resolute in what I need to do, last boost was Camus so now my much smaller list.

1. Soren (+1, +ATK/-RES) (Cecillia for Gronnraven+)

Currently Soren has been serving as my #2 Green mage with Nino in the primary spot. But right now his biggest use has been to soak up hits with bulked up HP (HP+5 A Skill and HP+3 Seal) and kill lances with Lancebreaker. He also chips out a red every now and again since he's not running TA. But he's honestly always been a bit lack luster. Giving him superior coverage with Gronnraven+ would definitely help him improve and it would give me my first Raven user. Maybe then he won't need to be so inflated on HP and I can run something like Fury or Close Counter and really make him a problem. I have 4 Cecillias and they are all Neutral or -ATK so it's not like I'll miss any of them. All that and it just kinda feels right to give him the Raven tome. It always has, that and I don't really care about Boey or Merric even though they are probably better candidates, plus I don't know if or when I'll ever pull them and I'm not really trying to.

2. Olivia (+SPD/-RES)

I know that everyone always says you shouldn't promote Olivia but mine happens to have a pretty nice boon/bane combo and I'm in quite a few situations she needs to take a hit or kill and the extra stats would be amazing. Yeah she needs Ruby Sword+ but the regular Ruby sword has served me well and Silver Sword+ is fine in the meantime. With Fury 3 she's hitting 39 speed which is pretty respectable. She's a long term character who will always be useful, even if I pull Ninan or Azura I don't see why it's pointless to make a character you'll use forever stronger. She deserves the promotion.

2. Cecillia (Neutral)

She is an incredibly underwhelming unit, she lacks a boon/bane and she wants Nino's tome but she's respectable with Cav buffs and I have them all, plus with Xander/Jagen/Gunter/Ursula as my cav team it could really use a boost and Camus will be replacing Jagen so Cecillia replacing Gunter while waiting on Rein to swap out Ursula would be quite a bit of progress. In a nutshell it's a step towards Cavalry emblem but I'll probably never use her outside of that because lolbadstats and Soren is a much better Raven user.

3. Matthew (Neutral)

I'm building an ultimate Matthew and he's currently *4. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with him but there's a 90% chance he's getting Close Counter and Bonfire, only thing is he probably wants another weapon and his lack of natures actually really hurts him so I'm on the fence about it and considering putting him on the backburner. Only thing is while he's super common for some people, I rarely see a Matthew ever. I get Wrys and Azama all day long.

4. Sophia (+ATK/-SPD)

My current Raven project. Sophia needs a Raven tome, TA3 and either Quick Riposte, Swordbreaker or Renewal. It's a nice investment as she's plenty bulky and it gives me a *5 Red tome which I currently have 0 of and it gives me coverage that would be perfect for say the upcoming BHB: Cecillia & Lillina. Only thing is the TT Banner is coming up and pulling Celica would cut my need for a *5 Red in half if not more, plus Sophia needs the Raven+ tome in order to work and that's another 20k feathers. In the meantime I have an incredibly subpar *5 Red mage that's among the worst in the game.

5. Sophia (Henry for Raourraven+)

The tome in question which is the entire point. Thing is with the tome she's comparable but inferior to Sophia with her normal tome+ at *5. Maybe a little niche but ultimately not that great and I'm still missing a solid red mage. She really just needs it all.

There's other things like Donnel for Brave Lance+ for Effie, Hana for LnD3 for Bridelia (I have LnD2) but those things aren't very important to me at the moment. I'm also solid for the next TT so I don't need to spend feathers for bonus units either.

Some things to think about. First, it's never wrong to go with characters you like! So if you were wanting to beef up Soren or Matthew, that's always a good reason. I've never regretted promoting characters I like.

Second, Cecilia is a really great unit, and she's definitely worth investing in, but she needs horse buffs to really shine. If you want to conserve feathers, you can do the route I did and simply go with 4* merges. A 4*+5 has the same stats as a 5* unit, but costs a lot less, and a 4*+10 is the equivalent of a 5*+5. She's a common summon, so this is really good as a long term option for F2P. It also stops you from being locked in with a lackluster nature. I also find that a regular Gronnblade tome is sufficient for most of her needs if she's running Horse Emblem.

Third, if you're thinking about pulling for Celica, why not hold off on Sophia until you do that? There's no need to spend your feathers the moment you reach 20k. Celica is a better red mage than Sophia, and you don't seem to need a red mage immediately.

Fourth, the thing about promoting Olivia is that she doesn't really do a better job at what she does when she is a 5*, which usually makes her a low priority. Plus, she's also a common summon, and so it seems worth considering to do a 4* merge route with her as well. I think getting a red mage would be more important at the moment, since you don't have one yet. It's not like she won't be around for future promotions!

Hope that helps a bit.

55 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Was there ever a consensus for Ardent Sacrifice or Reciprocal Aid for a Falchion and Renewal 3 build? AS would be safer in a sense they could stay at higher HP, but they might heal too fast with Falchion and Renewal 3 while RA would be better if you just want a massive heal, but if you're not careful, they might not be able to heal back up in time.

Just asking for future reference since I don't exactly remember when a post on this was made or by who. Kind of thinking of doing a Dr. Falchion build for masked Lucina since it would help with getting rid of units for space and she'd actually have skills, but if I could have had it my way, I would rather do a Dr. Marth build since he's pretty balanced. Alm, eh, I don't know what I would want to do with him, but a +Spd one with a Phantom Speed seal could work his default set very well, Chrom seems like someone who should be built into a hard-hitter and I kind of want to do a Brash Assault Chrom just for kicks, and both Lucina and masked Lucina might be better of being hyper-offensive. Basically, the others have niches they could fulfill better while Marth is the jack of all trades, so let's him do something more support-y even though Dr. masked Lucina would be a fine build.

I think Reciprocal Aid is thoroughly better. I built my Masked Marth as a combat medic, and she was really great in TT.

1 hour ago, Logos said:

Spring Camilla(Garbage: -Atk/+Spd)

-Atk does not matter much if she uses Gronnblade. +Spd is the most important stat she needs. -Atk is not ideal, but it is far better than -Spd.

They have also just released a Life and Death banner, so that should be helpful.

Edited by XRay

4 hours ago, Astellius said:

Some things to think about. First, it's never wrong to go with characters you like! So if you were wanting to beef up Soren or Matthew, that's always a good reason. I've never regretted promoting characters I like.

Second, Cecilia is a really great unit, and she's definitely worth investing in, but she needs horse buffs to really shine. If you want to conserve feathers, you can do the route I did and simply go with 4* merges. A 4*+5 has the same stats as a 5* unit, but costs a lot less, and a 4*+10 is the equivalent of a 5*+5. She's a common summon, so this is really good as a long term option for F2P. It also stops you from being locked in with a lackluster nature. I also find that a regular Gronnblade tome is sufficient for most of her needs if she's running Horse Emblem.

Third, if you're thinking about pulling for Celica, why not hold off on Sophia until you do that? There's no need to spend your feathers the moment you reach 20k. Celica is a better red mage than Sophia, and you don't seem to need a red mage immediately.

Fourth, the thing about promoting Olivia is that she doesn't really do a better job at what she does when she is a 5*, which usually makes her a low priority. Plus, she's also a common summon, and so it seems worth considering to do a 4* merge route with her as well. I think getting a red mage would be more important at the moment, since you don't have one yet. It's not like she won't be around for future promotions!

Hope that helps a bit.

I love Matthew, but all of his builds are crippled by his neutral nature. He needs +ATK or +SPD to work so he's on the backburner. I'll wait for Olivia also. Ninian may come around and then Olivia will take a break most likely. I'll wait for both them and Sophia. What I do with my feathers will probably be determined by how my pulls go on the tempest banner.

That leaves Soren and Cecillia. I'd rather a unit that can serve me immediately that I can run outside of a team I only use for monthly missions. Depending on how my pulls go it'll likely be Soren that gets the raven tome, but if I pull a Reinhardt or something like that then I'll probably promote Cecillia, or maybe I'll just go the merge route like you suggested. She is incredibly common for me as a pull.

Besides, dancers, what other units is Wing of Mercy good for in terms of defense teams?

Would it better on melee users or ranged attackers?

Current staple of defense team uses Xander with Quick Riposte and Camus with Vantage. I might out it on Reinhardt and replace Lancebreaker just for defense teams, but are there any other good users? (Defense Nino? Lucina? Noatun+WoM Anna?)

6 hours ago, mcsilas said:

Besides, dancers, what other units is Wing of Mercy good for in terms of defense teams?

Current staple of defense team uses Xander with Quick Riposte and Camus with Vantage. I might out it on Reinhardt and replace Lancebreaker just for defense teams, but are there any other good users? (Defense Nino? Lucina? Noatun+WoM Anna?)

Usually Wing of Mercy  works well for class canons or tanks. Think of powerhouses like  Reinhardt or Lilina teleporting in to finish off the enemy., catching them of guard. That or slap it on Hector.

My question is for the level three version of skills such as Life and death, do you  raise the rarity from 4* to five? Or you find a rare unit such as Minerva.? Just want to  find the best way to not use up my entire feather supply.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

5 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Usually Wing of Mercy  works well for class canons or tanks. Think of powerhouses like  Reinhardt or Lilina teleporting in to finish off the enemy., catching them of guard. That of slap it on Hector.

My question is for the level three version of skills such as Life and death, do you  raise the rarity from 4* to five? Or you find a rare unit such as Minerva.? Just want to  find the best way to not use up my entire feather supply.

The usual way is to use Feathers. Currently, you can summon them from the Life and Death banner, which wants your Orbs instead of Feathers.

@Logos @XRay Beat me to it. Spring Camilla with +Spd is an excellent Gronnraven user, and Triangle Adept patches up her Atk bane. Otherwise, the rest of your team looks good.

The most important bit of SI you can do for your team is Lancebreaker on your Ephraim, but otherwise you're mostly free to do whatever. Nice team you got there.

6 hours ago, mcsilas said:

Anyone who has good match-ups when initiating combat. The harder you can hit, the better.

5 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Depends on how fast you get orbs and feathers.

Upgrading a 4-star costs 20,000 feathers and is a guaranteed rate. Summoning a 5-star focus unit from the Life and Death banner costs about 150 orbs or so on average and depends entirely on your luck whether you end up above or below that.

I'm a bit confused on how Wary Fighter and Quick Riposte work. My Catria can sit there and let a Zephiel or Effie attack her and do a follow-up attack when she is attacked. However, it doesn't seem to work with Michalis when I let an Effie attack him. Am I missing something?

Edited by GuiltyLove

@GuiltyLove: The only thing that comes to mind is Michalis’ HP threshold. QR doesn’t care about Wary Fighter: as long as you have enough HP at the beginning of the combat, you double-counter.

QR2 Michalis was my dedicated blue and green can opener for a while, and worked like a charm.

7 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

I'm a bit confused on how Wary Fighter and Quick Riposte work. My Catria can sit there and let a Zephiel or Effie attack her and do a follow-up attack when she is attacked. However, it doesn't seem to work with Michalis when I let an Effie attack him. Am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

@GuiltyLove: The only thing that comes to mind is Michalis’ HP threshold. QR doesn’t care about Wary Fighter: as long as you have enough HP at the beginning of the combat, you double-counter.

You still need 5 more Spd than the opponent to double even if you have QR if they have Wary Fighter. That's what I'm thinking of.

Edited by MrSmokestack

QR2 Michalis was my dedicated blue and green can opener for a while, and worked like a charm.

My Michalis was at full health though. I fought an Effie in the 10th stratum

Just now, MrSmokestack said:

You still need 5 more Spd than the opponent to double even if you have QR if they have QR. That's what I'm thinking of.

Hm, that makes more sense... I didn't check the speed because I just assumed Michalis would double

3 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

You still need 5 more Spd than the opponent to double even if you have QR if they have Wary Fighter. That's what I'm thinking of.

Huh, that’s probably it. I guess +Spd Effies either just not exist in the arena or are still slower than Mike.

Edited by Vaximillian

1 hour ago, GuiltyLove said:

Every effect that forces a double attack and every effect that prevents a double attack add or subtract a tally. If you have one or more tallies at the end, you get to double attack. If you have zero or fewer, you don't.

Note that being 5 Spd above the opponent adds a tally, but being 5 Spd below the opponent does not subtract a tally.

Are there any characters that really like having Renewal? I have a 5 star -ATK Jakob that I don't feel like using, and Renewal is a pretty good skill. I did the healer Falchion build with Masked Marth, so she already has Renewal 3. I have a +ATK Alm who might like it, but I'm not sure having 2 Falchion healers is a good idea. I saw a build somewhere for Sharena that involved Renewal, but I know she prefers a -breaker skill. 

Similarly, (I asked this a while back, but I might as well go ahead and try once more) are there any characters that really want a brave sword? Alfonse, Laslow, and Hana come to mind. I've got a spare Cain, and I'm just making sure there isn't anyone else I could pick from. 

What's a better B skill for a +Res/-Spd Sheena? Quick Riposte or Wary Fighter?

One factor to note is I never pulled a Hector in this account, so I won't be able to give her Distant Counter or anything like that. She's also 4 star, and she's pretty low on the priority list of 5 star promotions, but her boon/bane is pretty good.

With Wary Fighter, I was getting annoyed by the amount of things doubling her for Armour Quests. Plus I have this crazy idea of using her to bait Defense teams, with Wary Fighter, barring Axebreaker, she won't get ORKOed. I may be planning on giving Reinhardt Wings of Mercy so it activates when Sheena's Wary Fighter breaks- would this be a good novelty idea for a Defense team? If so I'll go Wary Fighter? (I have 2 more spare Zephiels)

Otherwise I know Quick Riposte has good synergy with Ignis/Glacies and Killer Axe, but I'll only have up to level 2 and I only have 2 Subakis that may go to other people that really need it.

Edited by mcsilas

@Rafiel's Aria: Ragnarok Celica, I guess.

I didn't think of her. My Celica's -SPD though, and I gave her swordbreaker to help make up for that. I'm not sure if Renewal is better or worse...though maybe it'll be better considering the next Tempest has her as a bonus unit.

15 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Are there any characters that really like having Renewal? I have a 5 star -ATK Jakob that I don't feel like using, and Renewal is a pretty good skill. I did the healer Falchion build with Masked Marth, so she already has Renewal 3. I have a +ATK Alm who might like it, but I'm not sure having 2 Falchion healers is a good idea. I saw a build somewhere for Sharena that involved Renewal, but I know she prefers a -breaker skill. 

Similarly, (I asked this a while back, but I might as well go ahead and try once more) are there any characters that really want a brave sword? Alfonse, Laslow, and Hana come to mind. I've got a spare Cain, and I'm just making sure there isn't anyone else I could pick from. 

I've seen a Quad attack Caeda with Brave Sword+ to be used with Flier Emblem buffs.

Similarly, Desperation Lon'qu but he doesn't have +6/+6 buffs to work with (although Delthea can provide +6/+4). Then again Lon'qu might want Wo Dao+/Slaying Edge+, too.

Otherwise, Brave Sword+ Chrom/Seliph works as well, and Chrom I think performs better at than Alfonse.

Just checked my recent Olivia pull's nature- +Spd -Def. Since I'm planning on substituting Fae for Nino, I'd like to make sure my Olivia's still good for countering Hector- would this be fine over the current +Spd -Atk base for my Olivia?

3 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Renewal is a B-slot that's always 'decent.' Therefore, because characters usually have niches where at least one other B-skill is 'great,' it's almost never used.

People like Julia, who don't need a B-slot to ruin the people they're designed to ruin, can run Renewal for extra sustain. My Selena runs it in TT because she has enough damage already (from Ignis), her speed tier is amazing, and none of the other utility B-skills do much for her, since she pays hp to do her job, meaning they won't be useful once she's low hp.

The problem with brave-sword is that, between Chrom, Lucina (and Hana, to a lesser extent---she does worse than Lucina in terms of matchup spread because she has to take Escutcheon due to less min-maxed defense stats), and Alfonse, no one else really runs brave-sword good enough to be worth a 5* sacrifice. Chrom covers the low speed, sky-high attack build, Lucina covers the mix offense role, and Alfonse covers the low speed, sky-high attack build, except he's a bonus unit 1/3 of the time. (This means Chrom, interestingly enough, usually doesn't run the brave-sword build, because Alfonse does it good enough, while also being a bonus unit.)

48 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Just checked my recent Olivia pull's nature- +Spd -Def. Since I'm planning on substituting Fae for Nino, I'd like to make sure my Olivia's still good for countering Hector- would this be fine over the current +Spd -Atk base for my Olivia?

Assuming you're giving Olivia a Ruby Sword+, it should work out. With a -Def nature, Olivia can take 3 hits from +Atk Hector, and needs 4 hits to kill him. (If you let Hector engage first, you can get away with only taking to hits).

Nino should be able to deal with Hector quite well if you get her into desperation range though.

43 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

Assuming you're giving Olivia a Ruby Sword+, it should work out. With a -Def nature, Olivia can take 3 hits from +Atk Hector, and needs 4 hits to kill him. (If you let Hector engage first, you can get away with only taking to hits).

Nino should be able to deal with Hector quite well if you get her into desperation range though.

Hm, that should work. All right, then, a new base it is.

(Also, Fae is the unit coming in, while Nino is the unit leaving the team. I know Nino can deal with Hector, that's why I want to make sure Olivia does decently when she leaves).

4 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

(Also, Fae is the unit coming in, while Nino is the unit leaving the team. I know Nino can deal with Hector, that's why I want to make sure Olivia does decently when she leaves).

Ah, guess I read that wrong then, my bad.