• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

45 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

How's Kiwami in that regard, in your opinion?

(I know you didn't ask me, but I'm answering anyways!)

Kiwami is a fair bit harder than 0-it takes a lot more effort to get overpowered, and your resources are quite thin. Additionally, I believe they made a few balance adjustments, and the encounters themselves are much harder. Whereas you can find Shakedowns and level up as you please in 0, you really can't do that in Kiwami.

With all that being said, I enjoyed the Yakuza games first because I watched them and enjoyed the stories, so I'm not in it for the gameplay, I guess.

'Morning!

Well, this is interesting. Looking up, it looks like unlike his X version not being specified from where he came from, 30's Masaki seems to be his Alphaverse self. Same for the SRX Team for that matter.

47 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No doubt, but... Might as well be the Falcom library.

Put some variety in your library. Download Team Fortress 2 today.

perfect, right? 

Why do i need variety? My genre of choice is perfectly suitable.

2 hours ago, Shrimp γ said:

That's less than my Falcom collection

And you played Dana?

Holy... I missed this, but I tried it, but it wasnt really intially my game, I recently tried it out!

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Do we arrange TeeheeF2?

Ahahahaha... Hey, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

perfect, right? 

Why do i need variety? My genre of choice is perfectly suitable.

Variety is the spice of life, Cosmo. Download Team Fortress 2 today. It is free and constantly updated-- pffft okay no, it's not, but it is free.

16 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Okay, first stage. Defend Ominato Base from attacking Mechabeasts... eh, Kikaiju. Guess we aren't translating that

Forgot to comment on this earlier. It brings to mind the horrible Asian English translation of one SAO game I read about, which left terms that don't have nuances that render them impossible to translate, untranslated. You can do that, but why?

While it was also an iffy Asian English translation, Moon Dwellers leave a bunch of attacks Atlus had earlier found translatable, untranslated. Calamity Sword: Darkness Slash, was left as Keito Ragoken: Ankensatsu. Heck, they left it as Grungust Kai, despite Atlus consistently translating "Kai" as "Custom" in the GBA games. Not to call the Atlus translations perfect, the Japanese VAs in games both before and after say in English "Black Hole Cannon", not "Black Hole Gun". 

There is a good translation/localization debate to be had here. And I'm not entirely opposed to leaving things in Japanese, Atlus left all of Kaguya's attacks in Japanese in EF, which makes sense being an oriental princess. But then EF left Reiji and Xiaomu's attacks transliterated but almost entirely untranslated, while PXZ for them opted from what little Armagon showed many months ago for half-translated, and half-not. And back to EF, Suzuka's attacks were translated, but it seems the literal translations would've been quite different from the ones they gave us (and the nonliteral aligns with what her VA says sometimes).

Translation often being an art not a science, it not infrequently depends on the specific instance as for what's good, and according to individual preferences. The fan translation of Exceed leaving Alady's attacks in Japanese works for me, given he is a Japanese-styled martial artist. But I'm not so fond of the aforementioned Keito Ragoken choice. Irm might shout it (in contrast to his spoken English Final Beam), and it might just be childhood bias from me, but "Calamity Sword" retains sufficient flair and actually explains what the attack is to someone who doesn't understand Japanese. It's not an overly long name either, and the design of the Grungust type 1 isn't particularly East Asian. I'm fine with leaving the Colossal Blades as "Zankantou" however, given Sanger is supposed to be a modern German samurai.

34 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, this is interesting. Looking up, it looks like unlike his X version not being specified from where he came from, 30's Masaki seems to be his Alphaverse self. Same for the SRX Team for that matter.

Interesting choice. Perhaps because they could make a few funny comments about any people they've seen before? Alphaverse (or Classicverse Masaki and Shin SRX) is probably a safer bet as well, given it's "dead" and not still unfinished like OG. Not like Isekai Boy & Comet Boy have to bring up 30 in more than a lone vague sentence back in the OGverse and leave it at that, but it's just better if they don't have anything to say at all. And Alpha is still the best-selling too c'mon West, change this and make it SRW30!.

Kusuha & Bullet I would assume then would be coming from Alpha if that hasn't already been stated, and probably the DGG duo as well if they're real. (The presence of SRX and not Banpreios says all the DLC would be taken from different points in the Alpha timeline. If I'm reading the charts right, Aussenseiter never coexisted with the ordinary SRX, nor the regular RyuKoOh.) Irm might be Classicverse if paired in a DLC wave with Gilliam, since Gilliam doesn't exist in Alpha (although the presence of the Gespy Mk. II M in Alpha Gaiden doesn't rule out an unseen visit), only F. The Huckebein XXX if it is a transdimensional 008R I would then think to be the Alpha one as well.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Forgot to comment on this earlier. It brings to mind the horrible Asian English translation of one SAO game I read about, which left terms that don't have nuances that render them impossible to translate, untranslated. You can do that, but why?

While it was also an iffy Asian English translation, Moon Dwellers leave a bunch of attacks Atlus had earlier found translatable, untranslated. Calamity Sword: Darkness Slash, was left as Keito Ragoken: Ankensatsu. Heck, they left it as Grungust Kai, despite Atlus consistently translating "Kai" as "Custom" in the GBA games. Not to call the Atlus translations perfect, the Japanese VAs in games both before and after say in English "Black Hole Cannon", not "Black Hole Gun". 

There is a good translation/localization debate to be had here. And I'm not entirely opposed to leaving things in Japanese, Atlus left all of Kaguya's attacks in Japanese in EF, which makes sense being an oriental princess. But then EF left Reiji and Xiaomu's attacks transliterated but almost entirely untranslated, while PXZ for them opted from what little Armagon showed many months ago for half-translated, and half-not. And back to EF, Suzuka's attacks were translated, but it seems the literal translations would've been quite different from the ones they gave us (and the nonliteral aligns with what her VA says sometimes).

Translation often being an art not a science, it not infrequently depends on the specific instance as for what's good, and according to individual preferences. The fan translation of Exceed leaving Alady's attacks in Japanese works for me, given he is a Japanese-styled martial artist. But I'm not so fond of the aforementioned Keito Ragoken choice. Irm might shout it (in contrast to his spoken English Final Beam), and it might just be childhood bias from me, but "Calamity Sword" retains sufficient flair and actually explains what the attack is to someone who doesn't understand Japanese. It's not an overly long name either, and the design of the Grungust type 1 isn't particularly East Asian. I'm fine with leaving the Colossal Blades as "Zankantou" however, given Sanger is supposed to be a modern German samurai.

Interesting choice. Perhaps because they could make a few funny comments about any people they've seen before? Alphaverse (or Classicverse Masaki and Shin SRX) is probably a safer bet as well, given it's "dead" and not still unfinished like OG. Not like Isekai Boy & Comet Boy have to bring up 30 in more than a lone vague sentence back in the OGverse and leave it at that, but it's just better if they don't have anything to say at all. And Alpha is still the best-selling too c'mon West, change this and make it SRW30!.

Kusuha & Bullet I would assume then would be coming from Alpha if that hasn't already been stated, and probably the DGG duo as well if they're real. (The presence of SRX and not Banpreios says all the DLC would be taken from different points in the Alpha timeline. If I'm reading the charts right, Aussenseiter never coexisted with the ordinary SRX, nor the regular RyuKoOh.) Irm might be Classicverse if paired in a DLC wave with Gilliam, since Gilliam doesn't exist in Alpha (although the presence of the Gespy Mk. II M in Alpha Gaiden doesn't rule out an unseen visit), only F. The Huckebein XXX if it is a transdimensional 008R I would then think to be the Alpha one as well.

My take on this is that it was deliberate since the game also has Gridman, and because as it is the term Kaiju in recent years has become internationally used over just saying Giant Monster. Though I might have to check how SRW T dealt with that in their English text.

---

Oh definitely. They recognize Koji alright (and Masaki also brings up Koji looks older than he remembers him by), and Üso as well, as Victory Gundam was also in Alpha and Alpha Gaiden.

Perhaps. Though the DLC hasn't actually released yet, so we still have to wait to see what's their deal. But likely also being transdimensional shenanigans going on most likely. In regards to Gilliam, rule of thumb is that: If Gespents exist, then Gilliam visited that world for sure.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

hope you enjoy your trip into another vaguely Hideki Kamiya-influenced action game (your first being Astral Chain)!

It has a grapple hook so it's already good.

Muscle memory from Spider-Man and Gravity Rush is kinda fucking me up tho as melee attacks in those games was done with square. In DMC5, square does the ranged attacks instead.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

How many of those Steam games have actually been played or even opened tho?

Of my 179, I believe... 33, if I counted them correctly. Though in my own defense, roughly half of those I obtained for free, from bundles or came alongside other games. There is also a series of five point-and-click games that I enjoyed through LPs. Liked them enough that I ended up buying them. Didn't play them myself, but I can say I experienced them.

I'd say my most irresponsible purchases were the Blazblue franchise (I still have no idea why I got that, I hate fighting games and anime) and the Witcher trilogy (my friends kept telling me it was amazing, and it was on sale, so I bought it and told myself I'd play it down the line now that I had it... That was four years ago).

Of course, if we go for games I've left incomplete, the number increases, but that's the amount of games I haven't even touched.

9 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

106 here

Jesus fucking Christ. And I thought the state of my library was rather subpar...

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Hey, i've played all of my Steam games! 😏

You know what you've not played, however?

Team Fortress 2. After eight years in development, it was more than worth the wait. Download it now, and you'll be very glad you did.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Jesus fucking Christ. And I thought the state of my library was rather subpar...

note that i didn't finish all 106 of them XD

The ones finished will be probably close to 60 or so

Edited by Shrimp γ

3 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

note that i didn't finish all 106 of them XD

The ones finished will be probably close to 60 or so

Well I mean, I also haven't finished every game in my library, but... The amount of games you haven't touched doubles mine lol.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

I know on Steam there is that one game with that cool, pink-haired axe girl Hilda.

We've even got confirmation that there's going to be another game with that cool, pink-haired axe girl Hilda. It's a great time to be alive.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well I mean, I also haven't finished every game in my library, but... The amount of games you haven't touched doubles mine lol

Wait, didn't you only play 33?

Also blame humble bundle and freebies. I used to buy alot of bundles for just that one game, ya know xD

Where's my sale Gaben.

2 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

Wait, didn't you only play 33?

Dude! I meant I didn't play 33! Hahahahahaha... Goodness, imagine buying 146 games just to leave htem lying there.

2 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

Also blame humble bundle and freebies. I used to buy alot of bundles for just that one game, ya know xD

I mean, yeah. In those 33 I counted a bunch of games that just appeared there. I got Amnesia for free at one point, it was free so I just grabbed it. I own Mafia 2, so when the remaster was made and a copy was handed to all owners of the old game, I got it as well. Stuff like that.