Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Armagon said:

Simply put: they've stopped trying. After Sun & Moon (which was good), it feels like Game Freak said fuck it which is reflected in the quality of their games ever since. 

In what ways?

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Truly, the original reason for two versions, having to trade Pokémon with other people... well, they then decided to add more differences. Minor first like which box legendary you can get first in Gen II, then did more with the Magma/Aqua thing in Gen III, and so on. Is all that still merits more than one version? Regardless, yes, they seem to still keep with it mostly out of tradition.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

FDxvvzqWQAUtPYX?format=jpg&name=large

Now consider that they're selling a double-pack that includes both versions for $120.

Man these last few weeks have really helped settle me on not getting the-

5 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh yeah, I read that.

Someone brought up this is how they betatest the data. Since both versions have 95%~ the exact same data, it's easier to just have the one ROM and simply use a variable to only have the truly exclusive stuff like text or events active for either, then switch to check the other version's. Then they separate them for the commercial release. So what likely happened is this development build is what got leaked, before they made the two versions with the data separate.

People have noticed both Let's Go and Sw/Sh were like this too, with some data of the version remaining.

So there'd almost certainly be some differences, but I have to assume not much content changes in that.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Especially in regards to Platinum, which is why the DP remakes not taking a single element from Platinum is very disappointing.

From what I understand, the 'mons from the Plat dex are available in the underground (Though why there's no Plat dex in that case is another question), I know one or two other things have been implemented like the gym rematches, but it still feels like they went close to the titles that had a definite better option available to them.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Of course, when Game Freak did dual versions of the third version (USUM), I think that's when the last nail was pounded in the coffin.

It's weird, they treated it like it was some alternate universe where protag-kun didn't show up for two years but they didn't do enough to justify that and the stuff they added was either laborious or just kind of there. The map pretty much didn't change at all barring adding the beaches and Pikachu village, the renovated looks of some places didn't really stick, the combat got even more tedious imo, plopping a level 65 legendary after pokemon much lower than it and then having the highest thing after that be level 60 at the champion several hours later was one of the most bizarre design choices I've seen in a while and everything I've seen about Ultra Warp Ride makes it sound super tedious.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

After Sun & Moon (which was good), it feels like Game Freak said fuck it which is reflected in the quality of their games ever since. 

I still feel a bit mixed about S/M, but it's not "Couldn't bring myself to finish for 3 years" like USUM were.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

OMG, those encounter tables... *just leaked game things*

I assume they're DP?

Where are you seeing all this?

11 hours ago, Sooks said:

Tfw you spend almost the entire play session talking to one NPC because every dialogue option would bring up 50 more dialogue options that you could take through. This is why I don’t do well with games with incredibly long dialogue trees…

I have also wasted not one, but two levels trying to get myself to stop making an ugly face in the mirror. But I will not give up, I will look like a normal person eventually!

Hey don't feel too bad. It happens. This isn't the kind of game where you can expect to race through the plot in 2 hours. I know, hardy har har, it's funny because it's me saying this.

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Is the Turnwheel not working?

Barely was. Berkut left it at 5 uses. However, I still had 2 left when Alm got close enough to reach Duma. The problem is that Celica died to a mogall, and in Echoes, you can't use the turnwheel when the lords die.

I wasted like 40 minutes slowly advancing through the mud while spamming invokes. I am not going to do it again. Game's as good as over as far as I'm concerned.

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Now consider that they're selling a double-pack that includes both versions for $120.

Sun shines, grass grows, Nintendo sucks, what else is new.

9 hours ago, Sooks said:

FajP7wb.jpg
If I mysteriously vanish and become patriotic again, I think we know what happened.

Ahahahahaha... I picked the second option and it unlocked the ability to "opt in, but only a little." This was funny to me, so I picked that.

I don't think I'll internalize the thought, however.

9 hours ago, Sooks said:

I finally conquered the mirror, because I met some random guy who said he was a poet and suddenly remembered poetry about a mirror from who knows where, which bumped the odds of “fixing” my face from like 40 to 90.

But, now my character’s portrait is just depressing instead of hilarious. Wait, no, go back!! I don’t want this!

The *expression* did brighten the lower left corner of the screen. I'm not sure how much you can really call switching to hungover depression "fixing."

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

Oh god, I discovered the ability to shave and tried it, since I thought my portrait couldn’t get any worse. It could.

I did this too. Kim said he liked the mutton chops better. My brain deduced it's because they hid the damage.

Not gonna lie, the more I fix myself, the worse I look, but eh. We'll see what happens.

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

I can’t help but wonder what would have happened if I’d failed the roll for shaving though…

Probably an ugly cut, one point of damage and defeat.

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

@Saint Rubenio When I got to “the second area” (I’m pretty sure you’re already there from what you said, but just in case) the game said I could now fast travel there… but neglected to say how I do that. So how do I fast travel?

I haven't the faintest idea. There is a section of the journal where there's a big blank spot with text in the middle that says "find a copy of Revachol's map." I imagine if you find a map, you can fast travel, but I've yet to find one.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Hmm... neck + sharp object. 💀

It could be a slower end though, a slight nick, a little infection, and then ⚰️. Famed American transcendentalist writer Henry David Thoreau retreated for a while into the backwoods (where he wrote his classic Walden) after his brother died of an infected razor cut.

Jikes...

https://pokehacking.com/fangames/following-platinum/

02f5d9af-fb11-4ea4-8852-08bc61d5fe3f_tex 

(Haven't seen any confirmation it works with difficulty hacks yet, maybe that'll come?)

On the other hand, leaks are suggesting postgame BDSP is actually hard, (nigh) optimal builds and all.

44 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I haven't the faintest idea. There is a section of the journal where there's a big blank spot with text in the middle that says "find a copy of Revachol's map." I imagine if you find a map, you can fast travel, but I've yet to find one.

I’ve got one but as far as I can tell I can’t use it to do that. I didn’t look at it very closely when I checked it after getting the ability to fast travel, though, maybe I should check again.

After a lot of fiddling around, I managed to set up a shader configuration in mGBA that I'm... semi-happy about. It's not as sleek as the filter from the old emulator, but combining the shader with bilinear filtering turns it from a wet oil painting into something tolerable. I'll take it.

Also, I have to get used to this emulator's turbo, because it's super potent. Like, holy shit, one little tap of the space bar and a full battle goes by. Well, full soldier-on-knight battle at least. I imagine dual shaman might still beat even this turbo.

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I’ve got one but as far as I can tell I can’t use it to do that. I didn’t look at it very closely when I checked it after getting the ability to fast travel, though, maybe I should check again.

You've got a map, you got the corpse down in record time, you got Kim to pay for the hostel damages... Sheesh, you're doing better than me.

...Well, no. I got to annoy Kim with a sandwich. That's my win over you. Have you even found the sandwich?

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Barely was. Berkut left it at 5 uses. However, I still had 2 left when Alm got close enough to reach Duma. The problem is that Celica died to a mogall, and in Echoes, you can't use the turnwheel when the lords die.

I wasted like 40 minutes slowly advancing through the mud while spamming invokes. I am not going to do it again. Game's as good as over as far as I'm concerned.

You would think they would have placed some alcohol bottles in that dungeon, to restore it. Or just make it automatically restore before major battles or if you return to the entrance.

I mean, all the dungeons in the game were extremely short. And then the one dungeon that you could easily spend hours in is the one that marks the point of no return. The game didn't prepare you to ration the Turnwheel at all, let alone to such a degree.

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

You would think they would have placed some alcohol bottles in that dungeon, to restore it. Or just make it automatically restore before major battles or if you return to the entrance.

I mean, all the dungeons in the game were extremely short. And then the one dungeon that you could easily spend hours in is the one that marks the point of no return. The game didn't prepare you to ration the Turnwheel at all, let alone to such a degree.

It wouldn't even have been a problem if I could use the Turnwheel for a lord death. I had two charges left and I was so close. Duma was already within reach of Alm when Celica got doubled by a Mogall and died, just like that. And then I guess Alm was too sad to remember he had the means to go back in time or sometihng. Three Houses did well to fix this issue - and when I, of all people, am giving props to Three friggin' Houses for fixing your mess, you know you done goofed big time.

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Also, I have to get used to this emulator's turbo, because it's super potent. Like, holy shit, one little tap of the space bar and a full battle goes by. Well, full soldier-on-knight battle at least. I imagine dual shaman might still beat even this turbo.

Cant you change these values?

46eb9f6a670537e6a0b65f2a292d211a.png

23 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You've got a map, you got the corpse down in record time, you got Kim to pay for the hostel damages... Sheesh, you're doing better than me.

...Well, no. I got to annoy Kim with a sandwich. That's my win over you. Have you even found the sandwich?

In my defense, I just got to the second area. I’m sure I’ll encounter the sandwich soon enough, hopefully.

Unless the sandwich has been in the first area this whole time, in which case I’m probably never finding it.

6 hours ago, Benice said:

In what ways?

Little to no post-game, regions being reduced to straight lines, incredibly easy games even for the series (though that BDSP post-game does look spicy ngl), graphical quality not being up to par (not in a "it's not super high realism wah" way but "why does it feel like they are just porting 3DS games" way).

It doesn't help that they also just keep cutting content. There was that whole National Dex fiasco which personally killed my interest and in the end, it wasn't even justified, Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves don't exist anymore.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The problem is that Celica died to a mogall, and in Echoes, you can't use the turnwheel when the lords die.

Oh that's right, it was cringe back then.

13 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Cant you change these values?

46eb9f6a670537e6a0b65f2a292d211a.png

There is one such option in mGBA as well, but it generates some slight issues. Nothing too big, but I'd like to leave it as is.

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

In my defense, I just got to the second area. I’m sure I’ll encounter the sandwich soon enough, hopefully.

Unless the sandwich has been in the first area this whole time, in which case I’m probably never finding it.

It has been in the first area the whole time and you can still find it. In fact, it's right in front of the hostel, which makes me wonder how much attention you've really been paying. You must find the sandwich, Sooks. It is required for the Sooks% and the good ending. Okay, I'm talking out of my ass, but seriously, the whole sandwich thing is just hilarious. In a game full of random-ass funny moments, it is one of the most random.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oh that's right, it was cringe back then.

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Three Houses did well to fix this issue - and when I, of all people, am giving props to Three friggin' Houses for fixing your mess, you know you done goofed big time.

It is good that Three Houses lets you use divine pulse when a lord dies.

It’s not good that Three Houses doesn’t let you use divine pulse when you pass the turn limit for a map, even if only two maps have a realistic turn limit (every map only lets you go to 99 turns, which you’ll only ever get close to if you’re grinding).

19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It has been in the first area the whole time and you can still find it. In fact, it's right in front of the hostel, which makes me wonder how much attention you've really been paying.

Impossible…

You must find the sandwich, Sooks. It is required for the Sooks% and the good ending. Okay, I'm talking out of my ass, but seriously, the whole sandwich thing is just hilarious. In a game full of random-ass funny moments, it is one of the most random.

I’m not sure the good ending is still on the table for me at this point.

Edited by Sooks

Hey @Shrimp γ I just realized, Lonely Mirror has no Jeigan. That's awesome for you.

19 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It is good that Three Houses lets you use divine pulse when a lord dies.

It’s not good that Three Houses doesn’t let you use divine pulse when you pass the turn limit for a map, even if only two maps have a realistic turn limit (every map only lets you go to 99 turns, which you’ll only ever get close to if you’re grinding).

Well, that's... interesting. Good thing it doesn't have GBA supports, then.

Impossible…

Very possible.

I’m not sure the good ending is still on the table for me at this point.

I'm not sure there is a good ending to this game at all. Or multiple endings, or... anything really. I went into this game completely blind. I have no idea what lies at the end.

*Wakes up early again* ...Just in time to overhear a frustrating conversation about a likely sabotaged-at-the-last minute vacation. Well, that's better than existential fear at least. Getting sick in the days beforehand twice in a row in the same year is really back luck though.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

What's funny is that they'll get money regardless of how they do it.

How wonderful it is to be establishment. Loved and made invincible merely for having survived so long and having provided a few good memories in the past. -Though I don't want to be too nasty to the sheep. If people are happy with Pokemon in its current state, who am I to deny their feelings?

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sun shines, grass grows, Amazon, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Disney, Tencent, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, EA, FIFA, WWE *list goes on and wraps around the Earth, twice*... sucks, what else is new.

And yet, people resort to the giants of economy anyhow. A few enlightened minds may spurn them, but then others of their truth-seeing kind are like this.:

saintaugustine1-2x.jpg

Realizing the true good, but not given over to it.

To be fair, settling is a part of life. Humans have tried to change the status quo in the past, and still do, but sometimes it's too much effort. And in the case of political protest, you might end up arrested or dead. The ship might sink, and as an individual, there is not much you can really do about it. I won't fault you for trying, or going down screaming. But, as a defeatist by nature, I'll offer a toast to what was, and whatever shall be left when all is said and done.🍸

And thus, I buy Nintendo. Not like I give a damn about online nor really care about Pokemon anymore. My slice of Nintendo is still above water, I won't complain on my own behalf until it drowns.

54 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

and when I, of all people, am giving props to Three friggin' Houses for fixing your mess, you know you done goofed big time.

As the saying goes "The Devil sometimes speaks the truth" -if it benefits him.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My slice of Nintendo is still above water, I won't complain on my own behalf until it drowns.

Yeah honestly, for all the questionable stuff Nintendo does, they are still a company that is more or less on the good side. Some people make them out to be some sort of boogeyman but until Nintendo starts actively abusing and exploiting their employees, I can't really agree. Not that I'll defend their questionable decisions but they ain't Amazon guys.

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sun shines, grass grows, Amazon, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Disney, Tencent, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, EA, FIFA, WWE *list goes on and wraps around the Earth, twice*... sucks, what else is new.

True.

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And yet, people resort to the giants of economy anyhow. A few enlightened minds may spurn them, but then others of their truth-seeing kind are like this.:

saintaugustine1-2x.jpg

Realizing the true good, but not given over to it.

To be fair, settling is a part of life. Humans have tried to change the status quo in the past, and still do, but sometimes it's too much effort. And in the case of political protest, you might end up arrested or dead. The ship might sink, and as an individual, there is not much you can really do about it. I won't fault you for trying, or going down screaming. But, as a defeatist by nature, I'll offer a toast to what was, and whatever shall be left when all is said and done.🍸

...true.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah honestly, for all the questionable stuff Nintendo does, they are still a company that is more or less on the good side. Some people make them out to be some sort of boogeyman but until Nintendo starts actively abusing and exploiting their employees, I can't really agree. Not that I'll defend their questionable decisions but they ain't Amazon guys.

Yes, for all their crap, they haven't been confirmed to be a shitty workplace like half the AAA industry.

Yet.

29 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Even if you don't make it out as lewd I have several concerns.

So basically the twins (one of which who is shoving in the bottle) get suspicious of Lucia (redhead) because she has a ton of free time despite running the biggest atelier in the kingdom. So they come up with a mindswap potion to see what Lucia's really up to (they think she gets a lot of customers but not a lot of work). Turns out Lucia actually gets a shit ton of work but she makes an effort to finish early so she can hang out with the twins. The twins, upon learning this fact, feel bad about the whole ordeal.

31 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes, for all their crap, they haven't been confirmed to be a shitty workplace like half the AAA industry.

Yet.

It would take a serious, catastrophic shift in management for that to happen.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, that's... interesting. Good thing it doesn't have GBA supports, then.

Heh, good point.

…it’s weird for you to be saying that Three Houses did something well while I’m criticizing it. Is this another alternate dimension?