Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Armagon said:

Blazing through A Link Between Worlds rn. Three of the Seven Sages rescued. 

....guys is it me or have Zelda dungeons always been this short? Has CrossCode really fucked me up that much?

I mean, they've always been doable in a single not overly long play session. Which is probably for the best b/c setting a dungeon down partway in could be disorienting when you resume. Zelda having less intense puzzles makes probably does a number on their comparative length too.

Now, length of dungeon vis a vis all the Zeldas? IDK which has the longest and which the shortest, and how big the gulf is.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You can actually skip this one. No glitches.

I'm assuming this is about the Twin Chozobots in Burenia.

No, the X Parasite that masquerades as a regular enemy, that gets bigger, and then gets really big.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

mean, they've always been doable in a single not overly long play session. Which is probably for the best b/c setting a dungeon down partway in could be disorienting when you resume. Zelda having less intense puzzles makes probably does a number on their comparative length too.

Yeah I see that now but I remember Zelda dungeons confusing me and generally burning me out after 1 session.

Guess I really was just bad back then

I'd say, a part of me is tempted to begin playing SRW 30 again now... but being in the middle of a Skyrim playthrough I feel I can't just let another game on pause. Perhaps I can split the time up, hmm...

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

BotW is still different with its emphasis on overworld instead of dungeons, as well as being open-world in general. ALBW is more "traditional", with a clear overworld-dungeon split that doesn't relegate the dungeons to four "normal" ones and a dozens of atomized ones.

I always found it ironic when some people talked about BotW as not being a traditional Zelda when one of the major inspirations for Breath of The Wild was the original Legend of Zelda, a game where you could do any dungeon in any order and jump straight to the final boss.

I remember reading comments from the devs of the original Zelda talking about they wanted it to be a collaboration type game where players would share the different secrets and tips they discovered naturally while playing the game, and it reminded me how a similar experience happened with BotW where internet content of it's secrets and tricks exploded and is still going on to this day.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

....guys is it me or have Zelda dungeons always been this short? Has CrossCode really fucked me up that much? Was i really that bad at video games when i was 14?

I mean, I’ve always 100%ed Zelda games, something about the Zelda formula and getting all the collectibles/side quests just feels natural to me. But they’ve always taken me a decent amount of time.

I mean, they've always been doable in a single not overly long play session.

Since when? Assuming we’re discounting glitches, there’s Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess… All of those are fairly long. Unless we’re not counting 3D Zelda.

Which is probably for the best b/c setting a dungeon down partway in could be disorienting when you resume. Zelda having less intense puzzles makes probably does a number on their comparative length too.

Can confirm, when I was like 7 I stopped Wind Waker in the middle of the Wind Temple because I got stuck and was never able to resume that save because I had no idea where I was in the dungeon or how to progress.

The bed is really going now.

Ooof.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Anyways i also bought Mario+Rabbids for $5 actually cause turns out i had a spare $5 in my eShop account for some reason.

Dang that's super cheap, now I feel a little gypped at it being a tenner here.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

....guys is it me or have Zelda dungeons always been this short?

Even with the more available shortcuts in aLBW compared to aLttP?

I'd agree it's a bit quicker in aLBW, but not massively so.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The miniboss shortly thereafter killed me a few times too, jumping over it it when it rams was difficult.

Yeah, I definitely had a tough time with it, but it was on the last one I learned that there's a moment you can use the grappling beam on it (when there's a blue light on the shield)

The last E.M.M.I. however... anticlimatic.

How many times did I skip the cutscene when the boss kept killing me?

ALBW is more "traditional", with a clear overworld-dungeon split that doesn't relegate the dungeons to four "normal" ones and a dozens of atomized ones.

I'm not going to comment on BotW, but something that I feel worth mentioning is older Zelda titles tending to have smaller caves that might require you to puzzle a bit to get something out of them.

in some ways the Shrines could be considered a more elaborate version of those.

5 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Garon is so kind adopting that poor orphan.

Garon is the misunderstood hero of Fates. He tried to save the world from the economical tyranny of the self-righteous Hoshido while ruling his shithole of a country fairly. He's a truly kind saint of a man, as wonderful as his appearance would indicate.

...Incidentally, Garonquest was updated. Just a fun fact.

Garonquest is so close to completion now. Only the finale is without plot at this point. Maybe I should give it another shot after I wrap up VS2. See if it can take its rightful place as the best Fates route this time.

6 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

always found it ironic when some people talked about BotW as not being a traditional Zelda when one of the major inspirations for Breath of The Wild was the original Legend of Zelda, a game where you could do any dungeon in any order and jump straight to the final boss.

Pretty much this. And the idea was being tested in ALBW, tho that game also obviously had ALTP as a major source of inspiration as well. BotW was taking the original idea and expanding it tenfold.

Having problems with BotW is one thing but saying it's "not a Zelda game" just comes off as extremely petty, especially if you still acknowledge that you liked the game. When it comes down to it, I feel that people who say that are just afraid of change. Foundations are good. Building something new is also good.

To clarify, it's fine to prefer the traditional but things that don't conform to that shouldn't just be written off like that, you know?

5 hours ago, Sooks said:

mean, I’ve always 100%ed Zelda games, something about the Zelda formula and getting all the collectibles/side quests just feels natural to me. But they’ve always taken me a decent amount of time.

Gonna assume this means you got all the Korok Seeds too.

5 hours ago, Awoken Dayni said:

Dang that's super cheap, now I feel a little gypped at it being a tenner here.

Sometimes it just be like that.

5 hours ago, Awoken Dayni said:

I'm not going to comment on BotW, but something that I feel worth mentioning is older Zelda titles tending to have smaller caves that might require you to puzzle a bit to get something out of them.

This could be 2D Zelda in general, as ALBW also had them.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy said:

n313tai41wa91.jpg

1dy7whzo92i11.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Immovable Gonzalez slacked off too much, he's Lv.88 now as opposed to Lv.90.

Edited by Armagon

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This could be 2D Zelda in general, as ALBW also had them.

I'd say that's true with Minish Cap, Link's Awakening, even the DS Zelda titles.

But you find a few even in 3D Zelda titles (I can think of one or two in OoT), though those ones rarely if ever do puzzles from what I remember.

1dy7whzo92i11.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

"Why do I hear boss music?"

So, playing XC again and the more i play it, the less i think the vision mechanic belongs in the combat. It just controls everything way too much, and centralising on a single mechanic like that makes gameplay stale after a while i guess?

Also, if Shulk is not in the party, why can the party have visions? It... really doesn't make sense. XD

n313tai41wa91.jpg

I didn't know there was a new Primal Rage. Blizzard let himself go man.

6 hours ago, Sooks said:

Can confirm, when I was like 7 I stopped Wind Waker in the middle of the Wind Temple because I got stuck and was never able to resume that save because I had no idea where I was in the dungeon or how to progress.

You think that's bad? My experience of stopping in mid-temple was the Water Temple in OoT. I thought I'd softlocked myself because of how I'd positioned that one giant underwater block... and restarted the whole game only to realize when I got there again I'd just missed the fact there was a basement in the giant central pillar/tower that could be accessed by falling through where one of the platforms rise with the water level. Not helped by the way multiple floors in the same "room" light up on the map at once when visited.

42 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Immovable Gonzalez slacked off too much, he's Lv.88 now as opposed to Lv.90.

he grew old

17 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

So, playing XC again and the more i play it, the less i think the vision mechanic belongs in the combat. It just controls everything way too much, and centralising on a single mechanic like that makes gameplay stale after a while i guess?

Also, if Shulk is not in the party, why can the party have visions? It... really doesn't make sense. XD

I didn't mind vision honestly.

It was pretty annoying however how Shulk was the only one able to harm the machina until like, halfway through

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

I didn't mind vision honestly.

It was pretty annoying however how Shulk was the only one able to harm the machina until like, halfway through

I view it this way: If i require it to play the game, then it's eventually gonna get in the way, same as you're saying about Mechon (Fiora can harm mechon as well, though)

25 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I've always seen this sort of thing is that everyone is fighting together, but you only actually see a chunk of them. Like unless the reserve members explicitly stay behind, I figure everyone is technically fighting together.

And then there's Baten Kaitos Origins and Xenoblade 3, where actually the entire party is fighting together.

9 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

You think that's bad? My experience of stopping in mid-temple was the Water Temple in OoT. I thought I'd softlocked myself because of how I'd positioned that one giant underwater block... and restarted the whole game only to realize when I got there again I'd just missed the fact there was a basement in the giant central pillar/tower that could be accessed by falling through where one of the platforms rise with the water level. Not helped by the way multiple floors in the same "room" light up on the map at once when visited.

And I'm guessing you didn't realize that you could've teleported to the start by playing the Water Temple song huh.

10 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

was pretty annoying however how Shulk was the only one able to harm the machina until like, halfway through

Tbf Mechon did stop showing up past the Ether Mines. Wouldn't be seen again until Prison Island.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I've always seen this sort of thing is that everyone is fighting together, but you only actually see a chunk of them. Like unless the reserve members explicitly stay behind, I figure everyone is technically fighting together.

This feels like it might be stretching it a bit. Like i can agree but to say that this particular mechanic should still have so much influence is a bit questionable.

The best thing about XC2 combat is i can play my way, there is no "right" way, as in XC.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:
19 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

And I'm guessing you didn't realize that you could've teleported to the start by playing the Water Temple song huh.

That's not a problem because you end up back at the start anytime you save and reset in OoT. Getting out was easy... working out what I was supposed to do next was the problem. Until it wasn't... because the first time you raise the water level you actually see the block move and the hole in the floor.... and once I did... that changed literally everything.
Regardless, the experience kind of taught me to do the dungeons in one sitting, and that Zelda games generally don't let you softlock yourself... unless you play Skyward Sword which had that glitch.

1 minute ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

and that Zelda games generally don't let you softlock yourself... unless you play Skyward Sword which had that glitch.

Pretty sure ALTTP has a hard lock with the first dark world dugeon where if you misuse your keys, you can't get the hammer and get the extra key to get out, hence being stuck.

8 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Pretty sure ALTTP has a hard lock with the first dark world dugeon where if you misuse your keys, you can't get the hammer and get the extra key to get out, hence being stuck.

Apparently there are enough small keys for that dungeon that that shouldn't be the case, but finding them all takes a fair amount of knowing where they are.

I feared I'd gotten softlocked in the same dungeon when I got stuck trying to progress in the room with the red/blue switch and the bumpers.

4 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

Apparently there are enough small keys for that dungeon that that shouldn't be the case, but finding them all takes a fair amount of knowing where they are.

I feared I'd gotten softlocked in the same dungeon when I got stuck trying to progress in the room with the red/blue switch and the bumpers.

I thought if you wasted your key at the bottom door here in the wrong way, you were stuck:

eea56ca1f7b5ac7cb7c84cd7e8e65e0b.png

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Well, I did say "generally". Probably doesn't hurt that I didn't play ALTTP until the GBA re-release either... so my lesson learnt was more around OoT and Link's Awakening (DX) which where the two I had around that time. Majora's Mask wasn't quite out yet. I couldn't find ALTTP in a pawn shop for the life of me, and I only bought an NES in 2014, so my first chance to play the first two was the GBA NES classics line. Which gives a good idea of how long I've stuck with that franchise. Which I ironically got into after playing Super Smash Bros 64.... just like I'd get into Fire Emblem after Melee. Really Smash Bros has been a hell of an advertising tool to start me on series.

Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, Starfox, F-Zero, Earthbound, Kid Icarus, Ice Climber, Metal Gear Solid, Pikmin (kind of because trophy in Melee and the ad in Luigi's Mansion), Xenoblade, Punch-Out, King of Fighters/Fatal Fury (I mean I had the first Fatal Fury, but I didn't like it much), Dragon Quest and Duck Hunt. Hell I even own Gyromite. How many series/games I may not have started without Super Smash Bros. It also served to revive lost interest in Street Fighter and Kingdom Hearts.
A lot of games I might not have played without. A lot of good memories... and a few I wish I could forget.

1 minute ago, Awoken Dayni said:

I can't say I'm enough of an expert on the game to know for sure either way.

7 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

so my first chance to play the first two was the GBA NES classics line. Which gives a good idea of how long I've stuck with that franchise.

Just played through The Adventure of Link! Well, me and my brother together but still.