"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

It's been a long time since I've asked for advice. I'll cut to the chase though, I'm going to supermerge my 10-11 Bartre copies and I'm trying to decide, +ATK/-HP or +SPD/-HP.

I personally lean towards +Atk so he can one shot armor enemies more efficiently, and he can still reliably double with Desperation-Brash Assault after eating a counter.

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

+ATK turns him into a hulking monstrosity able to nuke just about any blue armor and maybe even some greens. But...

If you are going with +Atk, I recommend giving him a one shot build by stacking Atk with Death Blow-Attack +3. With Chill Def active, Bartre 4*+10 with Hone Attack buff can one shot Surtr 5*+10 with +Def and Close Def Sacred Seal.

Desperation-Brash Assault is also fine as mentioned above, but it doe take a counter to set up.

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

+SPD helps lock away doubles from enemies in all but the higher speed tiers. Plus it opens up huge possibilities for things like this.

41 Spd at that merge level feels a bit a slow. Should be fine for PvE, but I do not think that Spd will cut it for Arena unless you are in the 720+ score range where enemies start running SP builds and slow down significantly.

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

It's also worth noting that I have a +SPD/-RES Bartre as well. But for +ATK, I only have the HP bane. So... what's the better choice here?

I personally prefer -HP over -Res so he can reach Desperation range more reliably, but either is fine.

Edited by XRay

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

It's also worth noting that I have a +SPD/-RES Bartre as well. But for +ATK, I only have the HP bane. So... what's the better choice here?

If you're after performance, +Atk is better. But +Spd might be more fun.

I don't know... +ATK is great, but I'm seeing so many applications for that 36 SPD in PvE with +SPD and 63/33 vs 60/36. 

I don't know guys... I'm leaning towards +SPD.... +ATK gives me the option to use Brash Desp of course, but it's not like I can't just run Chill DEF. With a hone and +SPD he sits at 40 which isn't all that special for speed demons but for him it's huge....

Don't have much time to decide though...

I've got an AI-related question I'm unsure about. It came up while fighting an AR map, and while I ended up winning the map anyway by coming up with another plan it might have been simpler had I been sure of the answer to this.

I wanted to bait 3 units with Camilla, and depending on the order they attacked her would dictate whether she survived or lived. I was going to bait: Cav Eirika(Glepnir, Moonbow, Axebreaker and Hone Cav buffs), Ophelia(Blazing Flame charged), and Adrift Azura(would do 0 damage, so her combat didn't matter). Individually, Ophelia's attack would have done 24 damage from her AoE proc, followed by 0 damage from her attack, with Camilla killing her in return. Eirika would have done 16 damage, Camilla retaliates, then 32 with Moonbow, with Camilla retaliating again(QR and higher speed) to kill her and living with 3 hp.

Because Ophelia's damage is all from the special proc, if she attacked second then Camilla would live because it'd just reduce her to 1hp and Camilla survives her 0 damage hit and kills her. If she attacked first and did her 24 damage, then Eirika attacking second would have killed Camilla.

They both potentially die from the combat with Camilla, so which one attacks first? From what I know of the AI, I assumed Eirika because she dealt more damage, or is the AI smart enough to know that if Ophelia goes first then Eirika following up would get the kill? I ended up not chancing it that map, but it might be nice to know better for the future.

36 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

They both potentially die from the combat with Camilla, so which one attacks first? From what I know of the AI, I assumed Eirika because she dealt more damage, or is the AI smart enough to know that if Ophelia goes first then Eirika following up would get the kill? I ended up not chancing it that map, but it might be nice to know better for the future.

The AI does not consider the result of multiple rounds of combat, so it will always pick the best single round of combat first.

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The AI does not consider the result of multiple rounds of combat, so it will always pick the best single round of combat first.

Alright, thanks! So I guess I was right, but I really didn't want to end up wrong and ruin that run. Occasionally it feels like the AI pulls some 4D chess moves, so I'm not always sure.

7 hours ago, Alkaid said:

Alright, thanks! So I guess I was right, but I really didn't want to end up wrong and ruin that run. Occasionally it feels like the AI pulls some 4D chess moves, so I'm not always sure.

http://vervefeh.osnac.net/

This is a pretty good resource for how the AI works. From what I've seen the author did tons of tests to figure out all the rules of AI decision-making. (I haven't really used it much myself, but that's because my own teams don't need an insanely in-depth understanding on AI manipulation---since I just kill everyone that's a threat turn 1----but it looks like it'd be extreme useful for teams that take multiple turns.)

Edited by DehNutCase

7 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

http://vervefeh.osnac.net/

This is a pretty good resource for how the AI works. From what I've seen the author did tons of tests to figure out all the rules of AI decision-making. (I haven't really used it much myself, but that's because my own teams don't need an insanely in-depth understanding on AI manipulation---since I just kill everyone that's a threat turn 1----but it looks like it'd be extreme useful for teams that take multiple turns.)

Oo, thanks. I usually know the AI pretty well, but with AR not allowing for mistakes or retries I sometimes doubt myself on reading the AI since I can't afford being wrong.

@mcsilas @mampfoid @Alexmender @Landmaster @XRay @Baldrick

So... yeah... as it turns out... that +SPD/-RES nature I thought I had.... turned out to be +ATK/-RES which is probably his single best nature, period. Still I don't exactly want to rule out his SPD so he's got +SPD/-HP at +9 and I'm just going to see how it serves him for a while. If I think he'll benefit more from the attack, I'll switch him to the +ATK/-RES nature and go ahead and +10 him.

1 minute ago, Zeo said:

So... yeah... as it turns out... that +SPD/-RES nature I thought I had.... turned out to be +ATK/-RES which is probably his single best nature, period. Still I don't exactly want to rule out his SPD so he's got +SPD/-HP at +9 and I'm just going to see how it serves him for a while. If I think he'll benefit more from the attack, I'll switch him to the +ATK/-RES nature and go ahead and +10 him.

It might not be ideal resource wise, but you could build up both if you really like him. I got so much Ests and Cordelias at one point that I built two of each to 4*+10. Both of my Ests are +Atk, but I think their banes are different. For my Cordelias, one is +Atk while the other is +Spd.

4 hours ago, Zeo said:

I think that is a good idea. Where will you try him out, do you want to do a last minute clear? 

11 hours ago, Zeo said:

That's probably the best idea

1 minute ago, ILikeKirbys said:

Hi, I pulled a second Eir back during her Hero Fest, and she's +DEF/-RES. Is that appreciably better or worse than neutral Eir?

Very mildly better---but only because the AR meta is hilariously 'inbred,' that is, the top teams are all fighting variants of themselves. +Def lets Eir survive other Eir easier, if you spec her for it. (I'm considering a Fury 3, Dagger Breaker set myself, for when I ever get enough blessings to make a Flier Team with a bunch of Eir.)

Normally they're basically identical, what you gain in not getting killed by really bad physical units you lose in not being able to initiate as well against dragons and mages. I would recommend keeping all your Eir unmerged until you have like 6 copies, though. (AR using multiple teams means you might want Eirs with different skillsets for each team.)

hi apparently i've been stupid and the 5*+10 Rein I worked on is +Spd/-Atk pls do not judge i am blind boye

How does merging an already 5*+10 Hero to change IV's work, exactly? Let's say by some grand miracle I'm able to find a +Atk/-Spd one and pump him up to 5*. Do I just merge the +10 copy into the +0 and automatically get a +10 Rein with the same skills and new IV's?

24 minutes ago, Roxas said:

Do I just merge the +10 copy into the +0 and automatically get a +10 Rein with the same skills and new IV's?

Correct. You can preview the resulting unit by long-tapping on it in the merging dialogue.

49 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Correct. You can preview the resulting unit by long-tapping on it in the merging dialogue.

uh so what's happening to this in the 3.1 update changing Merge Allies lol

5 minutes ago, Roxas said:

uh so what's happening to this in the 3.1 update changing Merge Allies lol

Nothing? You just get free points to your bane stat (now officially flaw back again; Fates isn’t canon after all).

Oh ok, but u should still aim to be pulling optimal IV units then right? I just got confused thinking that those "free points" = merging now cancels out IV imbalances

50 minutes ago, Roxas said:

Oh ok, but u should still aim to be pulling optimal IV units then right? I just got confused thinking that those "free points" = merging now cancels out IV imbalances

First merge cancels out the –stat in addition to the usual +1 to two stats.

But yeah, optimal natures are still optimal and preferred.

So in my example I would just be sitting on a +Spd, +10 Rein with no Flaw after the first merge. 

Which I guess makes pulling easier since I'm just aiming for +Atk without a specific -Spd flaw

dankeeee

So in the topic of merging I don't get something, what stats are raised with each merge. Not the new changes, I am talking about merging in general.

Also do refines carry across merges? E.x. I have two Catrias, one has a refined whitewing lance and is fully built and the other one was just promoted to 5* will merging the refined one to the new one give the new Catria except from the old ones skills her refined weapon too, or I should refine it on the new one?

Last, how can a 4* hero use his prf weapon? I recently began a 4*+10 project with Caeda and I am wondering can she use wing sword (and refine it) or she must be 5* only to use it(I think I had seen it on grand conquest)?

@SuperNova125 All skills, learnt or inherited, carry over across merges. You can preview the result by long-tapping on it in the merging dialogue.

A four-star hero can use their prf weapon by you having merged a five-star into it. In your case, promote one Caeda to five-stars and then merge her into the 4+10 to give the 4+10 the wing sword.