Mystery of Paris.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's apparently some dialogue in the Paris chapter where it's mentioned that Ike came from another world. So, Paris is pretty much confirmed to be his direct descendant, not related to him through Mist.

That's some pretty significant information there.

If Ike came from another world, and that world is Tellius, then doesn't that completely blow the 'All FE's took place on the same world' theory out of the water?

If Ike came from another world, and that world is Tellius, then doesn't that completely blow the 'All FE's took place on the same world' theory out of the water?

Don't the children consider themselves from another world? Another world = Different Time?

Don't the children consider themselves from another world? Another world = Different Time?

Well, I haven't read it myself, so I don't know. But depending on what he says, it might well prove that theory wrong.

The children refer to the BAD FUTURE as both the future and occasionally, the future world. I don't think they've ever called it 'another world' though.

Then there's the matter of the "Other-Worlder" designation the characters summoned from past games get, particularly the generics. I think the same goes for enemy Dual Tag teams.

Since the Other worlders can be from the same continents(e.g. Archanean and Valancia Spotpass teams and DLC characters) that Krom and the rest of the FE13 cast are from the Other worlds must have to relate to the specific time periods rather than literally different worlds/planets.

Edited by arvilino

Then there's the matter of the "Other-Worlder" designation the characters summoned from past games get, particularly the generics. I think the same goes for enemy Dual Tag teams.

Who knows. Once we get an english translation, this should all become clearer. (Unless LvD sheads some light on it in the meantime.)

I think it makes perfect sense that the children don't say that they are from a different world than their parents. That would just be weird for them. But this game has made the idea of parallel universes a canon part of Fire Emblem, so Paris/Ike coming from a different world says nothing about whether or not Tellius exists in the same universe as Archanea.

Not necessarily. The DLC characters are all described as "Other world" characters and those include Marth, Alm and Celica, who existed in Awakening's past too. The way Awakening handles multiple worlds, it seems like there are multiple versions of each world accessible through the gate. So, Ike could come from another world and still exist in Iris' past.

There are just too many references to Tellius spread through supports (references to cat and bird Tagel in another continent, a legend about a black crow and a white swam) and DLC (like Krom knowing about Elincia even though she has not idea who he is) for it all to have come just from Ike himself, especially considering how Ike being in Iris in the past has only been acknowledged now. I guess it'll be interesting to see what kind of interaction Paris and Otherworld Ike will have eventually, if any...

Edited by NeonZ

Not necessarily. The DLC characters are all described as "Other world" characters and those include Marth, Alm and Celica, who existed in Awakening's past too. The way Awakening handles multiple worlds, it seems like there are multiple versions of each world accessible through the gate. So, Ike could come from another world and still exist in Iris' past.

There are just too many references to Tellius spread through supports (references to cat and bird Tagel in another continent, a legend about a black crow and a white swam) and DLC (like Krom knowing about Elincia even though she has not idea who he is) for it all to have come just from Ike himself, especially considering how Ike being in Iris in the past has only been acknowledged now. I guess it'll be interesting to see what kind of interaction Paris and Otherworld Ike will have eventually, if any...

I personally don't think "world" means "planet" or "Universe" but a different land. We consider ourselves worlds apart when we live across oceans, right?

We've seen characters be able to teleport before, so a giant gate to help them do that makes sense, they just move through space & time.

I personally don't think "world" means "planet" or "Universe" but a different land. We consider ourselves worlds apart when we live across oceans, right?

We've seen characters be able to teleport before, so a giant gate to help them do that makes sense, they just move through space & time.

This. But I assume we'll see once the translation hits. NoA > Fans for stuff like this.

Edited by Airship Canon

I love the official translations, but IMO they're terrible at stuff like this.

Case in point, the Alterspire is a bit confusing in Shadow Dragon--an "unseen dimension" sounds cool, but doesn't make a lot of sense to most people, while the standard "another realm" or "another world" is a bit more straightforward to understand.

Also, fans typically stick to the original meaning better, while the localisations take liberties. Liberties are great for presenting the story, but can lead to some meanings getting lost in translation.

In any case, it's pretty clear (at least to me) that other universes or dimensions are involved. The game doesn't just use the word 異界 [ikai], which AFAIK only ever means "another world", but they also use the expanded version sometimes, 異世界 [isekai], which I'm very confident means "another world".

I believe Einvalt or somebody else on GameFAQs mentioned characters will use another term to describe people from other continents (I'm lazy to write it) and Krom himself uses both this term and Ikai/Isekai, so there's no way he'd confuse people from other continents as people from other worlds (Ike).

Edited by VincentASM

Case in point, the Alterspire is a bit confusing in Shadow Dragon--an "unseen dimension" sounds cool, but doesn't make a lot of sense to most people, while the standard "another realm" or "another world" is a bit more straightforward to understand.

Also, fans typically stick to the original meaning better, while the localisations take liberties. Liberties are great for presenting the story, but can lead to some meanings getting lost in translation.

In any case, it's pretty clear (at least to me) that other universes or dimensions are involved. The game doesn't just use the word 異界 [ikai], which AFAIK only ever means "another world", but they also use the expanded version sometimes, 異世界 [isekai], which I'm very confident means "another world".

I believe Einvalt or somebody else on GameFAQs mentioned characters will use another term to describe people from other continents (I'm lazy to write it) and Krom himself uses both this term and Ikai/Isekai, so there's no way he'd confuse people from other continents as people from other worlds (Ike).

Oh, okay. I haven't read the Japanese, so I wouldn't know of the exact wording. My mistake.

As of right now, we're left with a confusing mess however-- this is where having NoA's official interpretation is necessary.

To be honest, this whole thing sounds like a complete mess. I would've preferred they shied away from directly acknowledging the other games, instead of confusing things like this.

I honestly don't see what's confusing.

Similarly, I don't believe NOA's official interpretation will shed any light and there's even a slight chance they could even be wrong. For example, NOA suggested that only male heirs of Anri could wield the Falchion in Shadow Dragon, even though AFAIK this isn't stated in the Japanese version, and later

we get a girl wielding Falchion in Awakening.

They also completely muddled up the first empress and first apostle in Radiant Dawn.

Maybe the wording I or we've been using is a bit cryptic or maybe it's difficult to understand if you haven't played the game or read about the storyline.

Krom specifically says that the Hero of the Blue Flames (aka Ike) traveled from "another world". You could think of "another world" as being another planet, but definitely not another continent on the same planet, and it's strongly implied to mean "another dimension" or "another universe" in Awakening.

As for why they bothered making Ike travel through another world and not just continent hop, who knows? I'm guessing they wanted to make Ike seem more mysterious and what's more mysterious than a dimensional traveler? That or maybe they wanted to suggest that Tellius isn't in the same world as Iris?

Anyway, this is about the only time that another world is mentioned in the storyline, although Valhart's ending does claim that he conquered a continent in another world. So if you needed any confirmation that "another world" doesn't mean "another continent", well here you've got continent and world in the same sentence, with different meanings.

The DLC obviously takes place in another world or other worlds. Now, this can be potentially confusing, because Japanese rarely distinguish between plural and singular forms, so it's unclear if the Other World Gate connects to a single world or multiple worlds. However, it's clear that the world(s) beyond the Other World Gate can connect to multiple worlds.

Something that might take some fans to adjust to, is that it seems each game in the series is treated as its own world and Gen 1 and Gen 2 of FE4 also count as two seperate worlds (not sure about the remakes of FE1 and FE3 though)--at least for the purposes of the DLC. In one DLC chapter, somebody summons 20 heroes from 10 worlds, which corresponds to FE1 or FE3 (Marth and Caeda), FE2, FE4 Gen 1 (Sigurd and Diadora), Gen 2 (Celice and Yuria) and FE5-FE10.

The neat thing about treating each game as its own world is that it allows your actions in, say, FE9 to be explicitly considered not canon with respect to FE10. But, to be honest, the real reason for designating each game as a separate world is probably to be able to summon, say, Sigurd and Celice at the same time.

Edited by VincentASM

Something that might take some fans to adjust to, is that it seems each game in the series is treated as its own world and Gen 1 and Gen 2 of FE4 also count as two seperate worlds (not sure about the remakes of FE1 and FE3 though)--at least for the purposes of the DLC. In one DLC chapter, somebody summons 20 heroes from 10 worlds, which corresponds to FE1 or FE3 (Marth and Caeda), FE2, FE4 Gen 1 (Sigurd and Diadora), Gen 2 (Celice and Yuria) and FE5-FE10.

The neat thing about treating each game as its own world is that it allows your actions in, say, FE9 to be explicitly considered not canon with respect to FE10. But, to be honest, the real reason for designating each game as a separate world is probably to be able to summon, say, Sigurd and Celice at the same time.

Now that is interesting. We know for fact that FE 1-5 all take place some point before 13's story. Yet they're still considered different worlds?

Yeah, that's true, although it's possible they were just trying to hand-wave having Sigurd and Celice at the same time, as well as Eliwood and Roy.

But, if the each game(or time)=one world concept holds true globally, it could be a potential stepping stone in the argument for Awakening being set in a parallel world to FE1-5.

Yeah, that's true, although it's possible they were just trying to hand-wave having Sigurd and Celice at the same time, as well as Eliwood and Roy.

But, if the each game(or time)=one world concept holds true globally, it could be a potential stepping stone in the argument for Awakening being set in a parallel world to FE1-5.

It could also lead us to the possibility that all the continents do exist in the same world, but there are multiple worlds, each containing all the continents, if I'm interpreting your explanation correctly.

As for the 'hand-wave' thing, I think that even if it is just for the sake of gameplay convenience, it still happens, and therefore it still affects the story and the state of the in-game universe. Right?

It could also lead us to the possibility that all the continents do exist in the same world, but there are multiple worlds, each containing all the continents, if I'm interpreting your explanation correctly.

As for the 'hand-wave' thing, I think that even if it is just for the sake of gameplay convenience, it still happens, and therefore it still affects the story and the state of the in-game universe. Right?

that's more or less what i think about it.

like all the continents actually coexist in the world of fire emblem, there are an infinite number of worlds, and all the events of the games more or less happened on each world, with minor differences between them. that would theoretically solve all the discussions about what is canon, since that would make anything that happened in each game technically canon in some world. so for example, Thracia 776 would happen specifically in a Jugdrall where Fury married Levin, but there also exists a Thracia where that isn't so. Also, there would be like a corresponding world for each paired ending. so yeah, Lyn did marry Eliwood, Hector, Rath, blahblahblah, and all pairings are canon. that would also make canon the endings where Pelleas died and survived.

it would also make it kinda cool that every time you start a new game file, you're jumping into another world thing

i dunno. i may be wrong since i don't know how to read japanese

that's more or less what i think about it.

like all the continents actually coexist in the world of fire emblem, there are an infinite number of worlds, and all the events of the games more or less happened on each world, with minor differences between them. that would theoretically solve all the discussions about what is canon, since that would make anything that happened in each game technically canon in some world. so for example, Thracia 776 would happen specifically in a Jugdrall where Fury married Levin, but there also exists a Thracia where that isn't so. Also, there would be like a corresponding world for each paired ending. so yeah, Lyn did marry Eliwood, Hector, Rath, blahblahblah, and all pairings are canon. that would also make canon the endings where Pelleas died and survived.

it would also make it kinda cool that every time you start a new game file, you're jumping into another world thing

i dunno. i may be wrong since i don't know how to read japanese

Multiple realities... Hate them. Infinite possibilities just make things seem so boring... For every "decision" a person makes in their lifetime, there are realities that branch out from each "choice". The choices in one reality might be fairly similar to another reality or it might be extremely different. And some choices result in future decisions that wouldn't happen if a different choice was...well, chosen.

Every single little decision, with each their own multiple choices, in a person's lifetime. ...And that's just one person. How many billions of people populate our planet? Every decision in all these peoples' lifetimes. Then the fact of past-present-future generations, with even more people added to the list.

Infinite.

*cough* I'll keep saying it, I don't like multiple/alternate realities. But that's just me...