Rate the Unit 30: Salem

Silvercrow

Rules (adapted from Integrity's)

- Ratings are for Normal Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Votes are made out of 10. You cannot rate a unit above 10 or below 0.

- The rating topic will be updated whenever I feel like it, but I will try to allow at least 24 hours for each topic. They will generally be updated at around noon EST.

- A character being inferior relative to another character does not explicitly reduce their rating.

- Characters do not get credit for recruiting others or allowing access to side quests.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Characters do not get credit for bringing items.

- I reserve the right to ignore any votes which are not well-supported.

- You may allow a character to use scrolls (and adjust their rating appropriately) so long as it is reasonable (you may debate what constitutes "reasonable" if you feel people may disagree with you). You cannot arbitrarily increase a unit's score by arguing that they may exclusively use half a dozen scrolls for themself. In general, scrolls will probably not add more than +1 to a character's overall rating.

- Warp skipping has an impact on scores in so far as "Safy has an high base staff rank". Nanna would score lower than Safy because of her lower rank, but no chapter is explicitly said to be skipped. You can't get Warp and then suddenly say every character after doesn't exist or requires turns to recruit. Something could be said of Xavier, or Conomore/Amalda who are in an escape chapter where Leaf starts next to the escape point.

Robert: 2.33

Ronan: 2.42

Alva: 2.5

Marty: 2.89

Kein: 3.5

Tanya: 3.82

Dalsin: 4.38

Evayl: 5.02

Selphina: 5.37

Hicks: 5.89

Fred: 6.00

Brighton: 6.90

Machua: 7.03

Olwen: 7.05

Mareeta: 7.13

Halvan: 7.35

Carrion: 7.54

Dagda: 7.54

Rifis: 7.70

Leaf: 8.18

Shiva: 8.26

Karin: 8.50

Felgus: 8.79

Othin: 8.86

Lara: 8.92

Fin: 9.06

Nanna: 9.13

Safy: 9.48

Asvel: 9.58

A fantastic unit, being the second primary staff-user to join your ranks after Saphy. He requires some usage to get up to speed, but actually has the capability to hit A staves and thus is made one of the best units in the game. His combat is passable, if given Wind tomes, or he can use Yotsmungandr with Ambush if you prefer to devote a bit more resources to him. Overall very usable, but hampered a bit by his availability. 8/10

Salem is an extremely fun unit to use since he can be quite customizable. He already starts with C Staves, and gets a rank up on promotion, while a few uses of some decent ranked staves give him a rather easy A. Unlike Saphy however, he can use a wide variety of common magic tomes to fight with, and his offensive stats aren't too bad. 1 PCC matters little when you hit for very good magic damage. An early promotion might be best if you want to focus on staves only, but I think the man can prove himself to be useful in combat if you give him the chance.

From base level, he already has a trio of D ranks for nature magic, which is great since Wind is available in the chapter 12 shops. This gives him a lightweight option to prevent captures and do some decent damage, while having good critical and being effective against flyers, which are common especially in 14x. C Dark means he can use Jormung for a stronger hit, but watch out since it lowers his AS by 12.

Ambush is a fun skill to give to Salem. It makes Jormung much easier to use, but Salem even has a few tools to make it more fun. He can use Holy Waters or be the target of an M Up staff to deal more damage while taking less. Another fun tool is the Rewarp staff, which you get in massive amounts in 14x. This allows a superpowered Salem to warp at will and destroying a group of enemies before the rest of your troops advance. Since Jormung is commonly seen on enemies, it's fairly easy to acquire more tomes. In time, he's even able to use Fenrir for long range sniping. With capped Magic, we're looking at 38 Mt, which can be further boosted by M Up/purple floors. Time to get some revenge on the game for all those ballistae I say!

He even recieves supports from two solid units in Parn and Sara. He'll definitely require some Odo to avoid misses, but Sety and Heim and possibly Dain are also appreciated, especially since he might gain multiple levels within a turn. Giving him a weak scroll like Fala permanently might be a good idea since his Luck is abysmal.

Essentially a magical jack of all trades. Asvel will remain better at combat against bosses, but staves give him a lot of versatility.

8/10.

Edited by Dio

Salem starts with a C-Rank in staffs. With that he can use the sleep stuff right of the bat and depending on how one handles things, some of it's targets might actually be enemies. And he has jet to get his promotion gains which of course include an increase in staff rank. The fact that unlike Saphy he can actually kill stuff is just a bonus.

He can use all kind of magic except light and he is also the only unit who can use dark magic. That utility is not too hot, though. Yotsmungand is powerful but makes doubling essential impossible. Fenrir is absurdly more powerful then the other ranged spells. But actually getting it, is another story.

Ultimately it's all about the staffs, though. Saphy has access to them for longer but they won't really be needed all that much until the end and Salem will be able to use them all way before then.

And he has a lot more HP then all the other candidates, so he has a lot less trouble with fatigue.

9.5/10 - Warpskip or not (btw, "not"), staffs are just that valuable. He is better then most staff users but his offensive options and massive HP advantage ultimately don't beat the utility of the Repair staff.

Edited by BrightBow

An excellent mage and staff user. On ranked, you're going to need more casters than just Saphy, and Salem is the next most prominent option after her. 10/10

dondon's rating for Olwen is OK, but his rating for Mareeta is not?

xuRQT.png

Salem's combat isn't too great, dark magic is powerful but heavy and inaccurate. However, he has staves even before promotion, and at a good level. He also has not terrible HP, so he fatigues less often. Staff users are even more important than the Emperor himself later on, so it's well worth your while to raise him.

7/10

I think I did a review for Salem way back when on Gamefaqs...

Ah here it is

Sarem: Hey guys, mind if I help?

Fin: **** that, you suck, dark magic blows.

Sarem: But I can use staves!

Othin: GET THIS GUY IN!

And so, thanks to staves Sarem didn't suck, but dark magic NEVER was good, even when the units are.

8.5/10

Edited by Esaka

I think I only used him once, but he wasn't anything too special combat wise, since a lot of other mages outclass him in that regard. Also kinda sucks Yotsmung loses the poison effect when used by him.

Great staff utility though, which is very important in this game.

7/10

xuRQT.png

ultimately my goal is not to have a stick up my ass about that rule so long as people are not just posting just plain numbers. If you want to know my reasoning behind it, giving someone a 4/10 once (down from an average of 7/10) with little explanation after having contributed in previous topics is one thing, but a 2/10 when the average is a 7 with again no explanation (twice in a row) is pushing it

If anyone actually cares a whole lot I can redact Olwen's rating, I figured it's really not a big deal though since these are more for-fun and not really meant to be as serious as a tier list

Edited by Silvercrow

C staff user, gets to A rank with promo +1 bonus 9/10.

He doesn't have any decent skills for a staff user (or any skills) or any exclusive staves like Sara (or Saphy who has availability and rank on him also), and he lacks Sleuf's no-proof A. But he has an availability advantage so it's a tad moot I suppose. And unlike Linoan he can use a proof when he reaches level 10.

I think I only used him once, but he wasn't anything too special combat wise, since a lot of other mages outclass him in that regard. Also kinda sucks Yotsmung loses the poison effect when used by him.

How often would you want to leave an enemy unit alive, quite probably in range to damage Salem, in order to let it be damaged by poison, instead of killing it?

Edited by Hawkeye Hank Hatfield

Mareeta has terrible durability and can get at risk of getting 0koed by some enemies. And don't even think about using her in the arena. I lost her in it once from a bet below 700G as a Silver Axe Pirate 0KOED her before I could get her out. Enemies will have Silver weapon in there while Mareeta only has Iron. Even with low bets. Of course restarted thereafter as I hardly didn't make any gold in it. Mareeta in other words will take a long time to get more assertive. Probably shouldn't be a frontliner if she didn't get any growing from the Dain scroll.

-----

Salem is useless other than Staff utility. Good Mag, but his avoid is shit and never will get better without the Blagi scroll. But since staves are the utmost important utility than anything else and having a good staff rank upon class change.

6/10

9.5/10

Staffbot with some possible form of offense?

WTF is this shit.

Also, he recruits a few good units, like Tina, Pahn, and causes Dancer!Lara and Trewd to exist.

But I'm not counting that, since it's pretty obvious that staffers deserve 8/10+

ultimately my goal is not to have a stick up my ass about that rule so long as people are not just posting just plain numbers. If you want to know my reasoning behind it, giving someone a 4/10 once (down from an average of 7/10) with little explanation after having contributed in previous topics is one thing, but a 2/10 when the average is a 7 with again no explanation (twice in a row) is pushing it

That makes sense, but my problem is with consistency. Mareeta's rating was no worse than Olwen's less so because it cancelled out the femyrm love so I feel either both should be allowed or both should be discounted. Having said that, I shouldn't get worked up about it because you're right, it's not meant to be a serious rating.

If anyone actually cares a whole lot I can redact Olwen's rating, I figured it's really not a big deal though since these are more for-fun and not really meant to be as serious as a tier list

I care, but not enough to start a flame war if you decide you don't want to retroactively alter her score. I've said my piece, so you've heard the last from me unless dondon says something particularly asinine

how about i put it this way

an average of 7/10 when she should be a 2 is pushing it

Put it however you want, I enjoy your contributions to stuff like this and know you're capable of saying a lot more though

I don't care if someone runs with the majority opinion and doesn't really say anything, but if you have a different view I think most of us would like to hear it (although I can guess what it is)

it's not the rating I have an issue with

9/10

First playable dark magic user in the series, which isn't really great considering how bad dark magic usually is. But his staff rank more than makes up for his attack magic, since he becomes a great staff-bot.