Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

2 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

I started to play FE7 some days ago and still have to learn a lot. For example: I didn't know the stats could differ that much on the same level for the same unit. 

Yep, all the stats gained are random. A unit being "stat screwed" by getting very bad level ups is a very real possibility, though it doesn't happen too often. On the same token, units can also get abnormally strong through random chance as well. Heroes is the first game to not have those kinds of growth rates, which threw off a lot of people early on.

FE7 is a good choice to start though, it's one of the kinder games in the series. Including in terms of stats and growth rates, if I remember correctly.

• Replies 77.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

6 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

The good thing is FE7 is filled with so many good promoted units that your not too screwed if your units turns up badly. The Paladin you get in the first chapter of the main campaign is actually considered one of the most overpowered unit in the series

Good ol' Marcus. Even when I tried to raise Sain, Kent or Lowen, I was never able to fully commit to them because Marcus would give me the same results without taking EXP from other units.

If he ever finds his way into Heroes, he'd better be young Marcus from FE7 and not the catastrophe that is old man Marcus from FE6. We really do need a Knights of Pharae banner. Specifically for Oswin so the best armor in the series can make his appearance with Arden level stats but as a blue and with more speed.

7 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Yeah main FE had random stats growth, which is why knowing how base and growth relates with each other is kinda important

The good thing is FE7 is filled with so many good promoted units that your not too screwed if your units turns up badly. The Paladin you get in the first chapter of the main campaign is actually considered one of the most overpowered unit in the series

Do you mean Wallace? I just got this guy and he promoted from retired old man to bad ass bald general, what ever that means. 

2 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

Yep, all the stats gained are random. A unit being "stat screwed" by getting very bad level ups is a very real possibility, though it doesn't happen too often. On the same token, units can also get abnormally strong through random chance as well. Heroes is the first game to not have those kinds of growth rates, which threw off a lot of people early on.

FE7 is a good choice to start though, it's one of the kinder games in the series. Including in terms of stats and growth rates, if I remember correctly.

Are there some important points to save and redo the level up? I should read a guide, because I'm dragging too many units around, probably wasting XP. 

Perhaps I should ask these questions in the other forum. ;-)

3 minutes ago, Zeo said:

Good ol' Marcus. Even when I tried to raise Sain, Kent or Lowen, I was never able to fully commit to them because Marcus would give me the same results without taking EXP from other units.

If he ever finds his way into Heroes, he'd better be young Marcus from FE7 and not the catastrophe that is old man Marcus from FE6. We really do need a Knights of Pharae banner. Specifically for Oswin so the best armor in the series can make his appearance with Arden level stats but as a blue and with more speed.

Haha, my playthrough of FE7 was back when I still thought that all early prepromotes were bad in the long run. Same with FE8, in fact. Shame I missed out on these kinds of characters back then, but at least I learned my lesson in time for Titania and Sirius.

I feel like they're trying to avoid adding more characters that have the old man BST, and since FE7 has more worldwide exposure than FE6 (with the sole exception of Roy himself), I imagine FE7 Marcus is the one we'd get.

3 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Do you mean Wallace? I just got this guy and he promoted from retired old man to bad ass bald general, what ever that means. 

Are there some important points to save and redo the level up? I should read a guide, because I'm dragging too many units around, probably wasting XP. 

Not Wallace; in Chapter 11 I believe, there's a horse riding unit named Marcus that'll show up. He's a keeper, from what I hear.

Maybe if you get a long streak of level ups that give you 1-2 stats only, then redoing it might be worth it. But otherwise, a few bad level ups aren't going to be an issue. They're just a part of the FE life, really; they normally get balanced out with super good level ups eventually. I wouldn't worry too much about wasting XP either, at least in FE7 (and especially in the first 10 chapters of FE7). If there's a character that you know you won't be using in the long run, then maybe don't give them too many kills, but otherwise, even keeping temporary units at a decent level is a good idea. You'll probably figure out your core team as you gain more units, regardless.

Considering some of the other things that have been talked about on this thread, this is honestly surprisingly on topic. At least it's FE related at all.

3 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

[...]

Not Wallace; in Chapter 11 I believe, there's a horse riding unit named Marcus that'll show up. He's a keeper, from what I hear.

Maybe if you get a long streak of level ups that give you 1-2 stats only, then redoing it might be worth it. But otherwise, a few bad level ups aren't going to be an issue. They're just a part of the FE life, really; they normally get balanced out with super good level ups eventually. I wouldn't worry too much about wasting XP either, at least in FE7 (and especially in the first 10 chapters of FE7). If there's a character that you know you won't be using in the long run, then maybe don't give them too many kills, but otherwise, even keeping temporary units at a decent level is a good idea. You'll probably figure out your core team as you gain more units, regardless.

Considering some of the other things that have been talked about on this thread, this is honestly surprisingly on topic. At least it's FE related at all.

Ok, then I'll keep it relaxed. I'm not much into optimizing anyway. 

1 hour ago, mampfoid said:

Nah, its Marcus and he would join during Hector and Eliwood campaign(CH1 Eliwood)

The reason why he's so strong is basically that he's the equivalent of a character that would join in chapter 22 or so and be competent doing so but he joins you during the first two chapter.

You don't get any new unit that is unquestionably better than him from start to end until you reach a certain chapter in FE7 where you are rescuing your enemies from a monster. That "monster" would join your team when FE7 lategame began 

No i'm not kidding when i said you are rescuing your enemies. Thats how anyone who have played FE7 would describe the chapter

@Zeo I actually like Old Marcus. If theres a list of Jagen characters that is done properly he's definitely the #1 of the list alongside Arran in 12

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

54 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Nah, its Marcus and he would join during Hector and Eliwood campaign(CH1 Eliwood)

The reason why he's so strong is basically that he's the equivalent of a character that would join in chapter 22 or so and be competent doing so but he joins you during the first two chapter.

You don't get any new unit that is unquestionably better than him from start to end until you reach a certain chapter in FE7 where you are rescuing your enemies from a monster. That "monster" would join your team when FE7 lategame began 

No i'm not kidding when i said you are rescuing your enemies. Thats how anyone who have played FE7 would describe the chapter

5 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Ok, so I won't miss Marcus. Is Wallace worth development? He seems cool with his armor and chain weapons. 

4 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Ok, so I won't miss Marcus. Is Wallace worth development? He seems cool with his armor and chain weapons. 

tl;dr no

I assume your still on Lyn Mode? Wallace had 2 issue, the first is that by the end of Lyn Mode you would drop the entire roster for a new one, and they would rejoin later. Wallace only joins fairly late into the game. The second is that Wallace base stats is not particularly good and his mobility sucked. Even for tanking his HP is somewhat low. You actually had several characters later who would directly outclass Wallace in his tanking role like Hawkeye who have 50 HP and 14 DEF

If you like using Knights, Oswin would join during main campaign early and he's your best bet. Mind FE7 only had essentially 3 Knights, Oswin, Wallace, and in some way Hector.

Generally speaking in mainline games you can kinda guess which characters are good and which characters had issues if they had Speed, HP, DEF, and STR. As far as FE7 goes, 11 Speed is where its great in early game, and ok in mid game. 14 Speed onwards is where its amazing

8 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Well when Lyn Mode ends, Wallace will go missing for a long time, for forever if your three main characters (Lyn, Hector, and Eliwood) are equal to or greater than 50 when you add their levels together when you reach Chapter 23. Don't worry about missing Wallace though, you'll get a different character instead of him.

Anyone is usable on Eliwood Normal Mode, which is what you'll be going through on your first play of FE7. So you can use Wallace if you wish.

Pick a core of, say 10-15 units you want to use and stick with them. Make sure you have basic variety- a flier or two, a thief (you don't need them to do much fighting though), a magic user or two, a healer, plenty of physical units. Cavaliers tend to be great, but other melees are good too. Pick your favorites, pick those who are doing well for you, you have room for flexibility.

As for Marcus, if you can't balance your use of him, just don't use him early on. You can survive without him. If you find it difficult to survive or make it to all villages/chests/recruitable characters/unlock certain hidden chapters in the turns needed, then Marcus can be helpful in rushing to achieve those goals. Kent, Sain, another Cavalier named Lowen can all do his job too once trained.

Also, when promotion comes up later on, it's better to wait. Many choose to wait until level 20, but for FE7, healers gain EXP so slowly most of the time that 10 is okay, and if you don't obsess over every stat point, level 15 or so is fine for everyone else.

@JSND Alter Dragon Boner & @Interdimensional Observer 

Thanks for the hints. I'm currently at the map where Wallace shows up for the first time, he seems exactly like the guy who would have a short appearance in a tutorial. FE7 is a good diversion to TT from time to time, but it's not capturing me yet (partly also because of the GBA visuals/sounds). 

I just hope there will be some other fliers, I'm not much into Florina. Also recruitable villains sound interesting. 

3 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Thanks for the hints. I'm currently at the map where Wallace shows up for the first time, he seems exactly like the guy who would have a short appearance in a tutorial. FE7 is a good diversion to TT from time to time, but it's not capturing me yet (partly also because of the GBA visuals/sounds). 

I just hope there will be some other fliers, I'm not much into Florina. Also recruitable villains sound interesting. 

Don't worry, there's three more fliers that you can get later on during your first playthrough, if I remember right. And a few happen to be villains, though somewhat small villains. No broom fliers, sadly.

12 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

Don't worry, there's three more fliers that you can get later on during your first playthrough, if I remember right. And a few happen to be villains, though somewhat small villains. No broom fliers, sadly.

Man, this reminded me of something I tend to do everytime in FE7 even if I shouldn't

Spoiler

I don't know why but I have a great time killing Vaida with her Uber Spear every time. It's a fun challenge trying to take her down with Lyn and Rebecca, although she's a playable unit I prefer killing her.

25 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Man, this reminded me of something I tend to do everytime in FE7 even if I shouldn't

Hide contents

I don't know why but I have a great time killing Vaida with her Uber Spear every time. It's a fun challenge trying to take her down with Lyn and Rebecca, although she's a playable unit I prefer killing her.

I actually did that on my first 4 or so pt lol

it was during pt 5 when i ended up hating a certain chapter so hard i stopped doing it

31 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Why kill her and make the Spear go poof forever

Steal it for yourself >:)

32 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Reveal hidden contents

I tried to do that in my first playthrough, but it... didn't go well, haha. I wish I had tried it again in my Hector playthrough now, but I think I've already passed it.

1 hour ago, mampfoid said:

And this quote basically sums up how varied those level ups can get. My Florinas are goddesses Fiora and Heath can't compare with. You've probably got a godly unit that didn't turn out amazingly for me, though...

30 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

I actually did that on my first 4 or so pt lol

it was during pt 5 when i ended up hating a certain chapter so hard i stopped doing it

I can only think of two chapters so annoying that having a lot of fliers would be great. Was it the one with xx?

20 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Why kill her and make the Spear go poof forever

Steal it for yourself >:)

Spoiler

I did that once, it wasn't as fun as trying to defeat those bloated stats with Killer bow spam, although I had to restart like thrice for it to work lol.

18 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

I tried to do that in my first playthrough, but it... didn't go well, haha. I wish I had tried it again in my Hector playthrough now, but I think I've already passed it.

In all honesty I had to redo that map like thrice to get a crit, but it felt great when I managed it. Dodgetank Rebecca is godly, sadly she didn't translate as well in Heroes.

7 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

I can only think of two chapters so annoying that having a lot of fliers would be great. Was it the one with xx?

Reveal hidden contents

I did that once, it wasn't as fun as trying to defeat those bloated stats with Killer bow spam, although I had to restart like thrice for it to work lol.

In all honesty I had to redo that map like thrice to get a crit, but it felt great when I managed it. Dodgetank Rebecca is godly, sadly she didn't translate as well in Heroes.

Nah its 29 or whatever Victory or Death number is

After playing Eliwood HM and Hector mode i just hate that map so much. When i played Hector Hard, i ended up doing full recruit which includes recruiting Redacted and she's hilariously good on that map. After that on any FE7 playthrough i just recruit them to break that map in half because i have no shame

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

1 minute ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Nah its 29 or whatever Victory or Death number is

Redacted is stupidly good on that map, which i ended up hating a lot when i finally played HHM

Oh, the Renault chapter right? That one is pretty tough with the Wyvern reinforcement spam although to be honest by that time I always had a full team so I never got room for anyone after Harken so I don't really know how redacted would fare in that chapter.

@JSND Alter Dragon Boner why are u missing Pent? Clearly the best fe7 unit, even bettur than marcus!

Unrelated: the irony. Whenever I import an FE game through Amazon I discover them on my local video game retailer. I just imported Warriors, and months ago downloaded SoV, and both are on local shelves. And whenever I decide to pursue them here in Colombia, they fucking don't appear, Awakening's and Fates' case. It's quite surprising because right after Nintendo declared FE a major IP, FE stuff has mildly increased in appearance. I mean, their stocks are terribly low, just matching Nintendo's video game demand in Colombia, but it is glad to see your favorite games on local shelves :awesome:

1 hour ago, Alexmender said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I almost left her dead when I played FE7, but I had a bad feeling about it after.  Before I saved, I looked it up and found out I wasn't supposed to kill her.  I restarted, of course.  :>_<:

42 minutes ago, Quintessence said:

@JSND Alter Dragon Boner why are u missing Pent? Clearly the best fe7 unit, even bettur than marcus!

He doesn’t even get that XP from the bandits in the desert! D:

Screw you, Pent of Reglay. Thanks for vouching for Erk so that he can marry Priscilla, though.